(A Review) TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons

MrParr1Noid

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am leaving on our annual golf trip with the guys for 5 days in Mesquite, NV and St George, UT next week and I am waiting for my Burner 2.0 irons. I got everything special ordered and I think it is delaying the order. Man I hope they arrive next week so I can play them on the trip!

Good luck to you man, I hope what you ordered works as well for you as what I ordered, and received. Out Standing Here!drinks.gif

Not sure if you ordered them from TM or a dealer but give them a call and tell them your situation. I was in the same situation and I called and tried to have them expedited. I was leaving on Thursday and was told they could not guarantee them by then and they were 2 day shipped on Wed. I was waiting in the formal area of my house all day (like my 6 y/o waiting on santa) and sure enough arrived at 4:30 and I was on the road with them unopened in the box.. LOL. They will over night them if you catch them before they are ready for delivery. Your special order should not hold them back more than a day so I would give them a call. Taylor Made's customer service is very good so call them regardless of who you ordered them from .

Good Luck

Thank you guys and I will try and see if I can have them expedited so they arrive before the trip. I ordered the 1/2 inch longer because I am 6'5" and I felt the stock shafts were a little short. I also requested the KBS 90 shaft due to an average swing speed of about 85 mph and requested the grips to be a mid sized Golf Pride in blue and a 2* lie. I cannot wait to get my hands on these irons.

I received my 2.0 yesterday and had a chance for a quick 9 this morning. It was raining a lot in Seattle but the initial impressions are very positive. The short irons are very accurate and the mid-irons appear to have a hot face.

Coming from forged cavities, the Burners actually feel pretty good. Solid came to mind.

Will update after I have a chance to test them more extensively.

I ordered from DiscountDans, it was a custom ordered that was just the stock set with 2* flat lie adjustment. It took three weeks total from placing the order.

[b] [url="../../user/382-mrparr1noid/"]MrParr1Noid[/url],[/b]

Thank you so much for the great reviews and responses. I've been battling between a tough decision the last couple weeks and your posts have helped tremendously. I can get TM clubs for supercheap, so I'm deciding right now between the 2.0's and the R9's. I've literally changed my mind 4 times already!

Here are some of my thoughts,[b] but any other comments or insights would be much appreciated.[/b]

1. The 2.0's seems to be what everyone is saying, super long (I hit a 7 Iron at a store 5 times and the ball was going 180-190 in carry alone!) and just all around great clubs. My concern is that they are actually "too long". There's definitely a pride issue for me, knowing that some of my friends will say they are "cheater" clubs. Second, being they they are so long, ie. PW - going 150, I'm assuming I need to also pick up the AW to fill in my old PW distance.

2. Have you ever hit the R9's? I know they also have increased distance compared to most standard irons, and the most strong compliment I heard about them is how soft they are.

Thanks!

MrParr1Noid,

Thank you so much for the great reviews and responses. I've been battling between a tough decision the last couple weeks and your posts have helped tremendously. I can get TM clubs for supercheap, so I'm deciding right now between the 2.0's and the R9's. I've literally changed my mind 4 times already!

Here are some of my thoughts, but any other comments or insights would be much appreciated.

1. The 2.0's seems to be what everyone is saying, super long (I hit a 7 Iron at a store 5 times and the ball was going 180-190 in carry alone!) and just all around great clubs. My concern is that they are actually "too long". There's definitely a pride issue for me, knowing that some of my friends will say they are "cheater" clubs. Second, being they they are so long, ie. PW - going 150, I'm assuming I need to also pick up the AW to fill in my old PW distance.

2. Have you ever hit the R9's? I know they also have increased distance compared to most standard irons, and the most strong compliment I heard about them is how soft they are.

Thanks!

The comparison between the Taylor Made Burner 2.0s and the Taylor Made R9, You'll have to forgive me but I've not hit the Taylor Made R9s. A friend of mine has the Taylor Made R7s but I haven't hit them either, he's a lefty...laugh.gif

Hopefully someone else has demo'd them both. And yes, I do understand your situation, for I seem to be in that kind of situation more times than I'd care to admit...biggrin.gif Now with winter coming, about the only thing I'll have left to do is to contemplate what I might buy this winter..drinks.gif

Good Luckok.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='workz22' timestamp='1288027377' post='2758405'][b]
[/b]

Thanks!
[/quote]

I came from the R9s to the burner 2.0, the burners for me are a lot longer, more forgiving but don't feel as nice when struck in the sweet spot or even off the toe. They feel pretty close to a forged club for a cast club, keyword close. for the price i would go with the burners, the added distance was nice but i have to remember to club down.

[quote name='workz22' timestamp='1288027377' post='2758405']
[b] [url="../../user/382-mrparr1noid/"]MrParr1Noid[/url],[/b]

Here are some of my thoughts,[b] but any other comments or insights would be much appreciated.[/b]

Thanks!
[/quote]

I own the 09's and hit the R9's. For me, the R9's felt a little "clickier" compared with a duller feel from the Burner's. I really liked the R9's, just couldn't justify a change from the Burner's, much as I can't justify a change from the '09's to the 2.0's. I was hitting the R9's just as far as the Burner's; ballflight was similar - I was hoping the R9's would have a lower trajectory with the Motore shafts (I play the Reax graphite in the '09's) but I didn't see that, another reason I just didn't feel like I could justify the change. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of the sets - '09's, 2.0's, or R9's - ultimately I think they are very similar.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I am going to give the 2.0 a little more range and play time, but I am having some issues with them. I am a 5 index and iron play is my weakness. Drive the ball well and short game is decent ( I get allot of practice due to missing greens due to poor iron play). I am steep, take large divots, and swing harder on the course then on the range (another issue I am having and will explain why below). My gamers had been A4 forged, but I wanted to get away from the hybrids as my swing does not play well with them and I prefer at least a 4 iron.

Pros:
Very hot face

At least a club longer

Fairly forgiving

Black finish is awesome, it still catches my eye while looking at them in the bag.

Cons: Solely for me and I think I know why.

Very hot face, I have hit what can only be described as "flyer's from good lies".

At least a club longer, struggling w/distance adjustment after knowing how far the ball used to go.

Horrible shaft in stock form. (stock 85g steel TM offering in stiff) It seemed great on the monitor and outdoor range, but that was my range swing as mentioned above. With harder swings I can feel the club head lagging behind. The resulting miss is a high right miss. When it unloads it also sometimes can cause a slightly fat shot, although the 2.0 covers it up pretty well. Still get good distance with a shot a little heavy.

Shaft length is too long, I thought it would not bother me, but it feels different then the old standard length and I can not get used to gripping down like I thought I would.

I may be on the hunt again soon!!!!

[quote name='sl1111' timestamp='1289014475' post='2776989']
I am going to give the 2.0 a little more range and play time, but I am having some issues with them. I am a 5 index and iron play is my weakness. Drive the ball well and short game is decent ( I get allot of practice due to missing greens due to poor iron play). I am steep, take large divots, and swing harder on the course then on the range (another issue I am having and will explain why below). My gamers had been A4 forged, but I wanted to get away from the hybrids as my swing does not play well with them and I prefer at least a 4 iron.

Pros:
Very hot face

At least a club longer

Fairly forgiving

Black finish is awesome, it still catches my eye while looking at them in the bag.

Very hot face, I have hit what can only be described as "flyer's from good lies".

At least a club longer, struggling w/distance adjustment after knowing how far the ball used to go.

Horrible shaft in stock form. (stock 85g steel TM offering in stiff) It seemed great on the monitor and outdoor range, but that was my range swing as mentioned above. With harder swings I can feel the club head lagging behind. The resulting miss is a high right miss. When it unloads it also sometimes can cause a slightly fat shot, although the 2.0 covers it up pretty well. Still get good distance with a shot a little heavy.

Shaft length is too long, I thought it would not bother me, but it feels different then the old standard length and I can not get used to gripping down like I thought I would.

[/quote]

I don't see anything a shaft change to KBS Tours with shorter shaft length wouldn't cure. I ordered my Burner's at the lengths of most irons, which I believe was about 3/4" shorter in the 5, 6, and 7 irons, 1/2" in the 8, 1/4" in 9, no change in PW & GW - those aren't the exact lengths I used, as it has been over a year since I ordered them, just an approximation. Anyway, they came as ordered and have been the best performing irons I have ever had.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Just hit my stock 2.0s paired up against my stock '09s today on the range. The 2.0s SOUND and FEEL really solid. I can't even describe how nice the short irons feel. Nice better black finish on the 2.0s. Heads also on the 8,9,and PW are smaller and better looking. Same distance. I also think they are the exact same shafts with different labels/stickers. (85 grams,same length and same step patterns) No ballooning for me. I swing about 89-92 MPH with irons.

I have had my Burner 2.0 for 3 weeks. Previously had the TM Rac forged irons and have only played forged irons since a child. I am a 4 to 5 index and was hesitant in going to a G I club but given my age (53) and the fact that Martin Kaymer (a much more talented player) uses the Rac irons, I decided to make the change. I demo'd the irons and loved them. I went with stock stiff shafts and standard lie, 4 irons thru Gap wedge.

The irons have made a huge difference for me. They are at least 1 1/2 clubs longer and do fly a bit higher which I like. They are great from tight lies and incredible from rough. They do not have the feel of forged irons but still have a very solid feel. The stiff shaft feel softer than my previous irons which had project x 6.0 shafts, and so I swing much easier and smoother which I also like. They are clean looking with some offset in the mid to long irons. which is not too exagerrated.

I would recommend these clubs to both low and high handicapers. They will make the game easier to me and hopefully get me on the way to getting back to a scratch player, if my wedge game and putting get up to snuff.

Not to thread jack, but here's a short review of the 60º Burner 2.0 lob wedge:

The first thing I noticed about the Burner 2.0 60º lob wedge is that it has a wider flange than a Vokey, JAWS, Cleveland, etc., (sorry I can't post a picture, but I don't have a camera). This is the first time I've owned a set of wedges that was part of the iron set. I have the 50º and 55º as well.

I was curious as to how the LW would respond around the green compared to the aforementioned stalwarts. With a ProV1 and ProV1 I headed to the practice green, found a tight lie and proceeded to experiment.

I was very surprised. Both balls checked up very well. I didn't notice any difference in spin between the 2.0 and the other wedges, and I've played most. I always liked a "C" grind in my lob wedges so I could open up the face and hit flop shots. From the same tight lie I was able to do this with the 2.0. Not only could I flop the ball, but again it checked up nicely.

Next, I took the ball to the rough. Depending on the lie I could get the ball to check up as well, and as with the tight lie, left a little bit of the ball between the grooves.

Overall I was more than pleased with the action of the Burner 2.0 lob wedge. I didn't expect this kind of performance from a non-"player" wedge. As an added bonus it seemed to glide more smoothly through the heavier rough, though I didn't take too many swings out of heavier lies.

For what it's worth this was just a short, chip shot review.

Lets not forget that the lofts are stronger and lengths are longer which will change yardages dramatically. A 45* PW is like hitting a 9 iron !!

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X

[quote name='BCC' timestamp='1289446254' post='2784951']
Lets not forget that the lofts are stronger and lengths are longer which will change yardages dramatically. A 45* PW is like hitting a 9 iron !!
[/quote]

Thanks for the fresh insight.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

[/quote]

That's exactly how they get the extra yardage. I like TM, in fact play their woods but they took a 7 iron and slapped an 8 on the bottom. It's not rocket science. A friend has these and I hit them and if it fact you match clubs up Degree for degree they are no different.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1289481986' post='2785248']
[/quote]

[/quote]

This was not intended as any kind of slam....I have a set ordered.
In fact, it IS the key reason we are hitting them further.

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X

Keep in mind that the standard shaft (Burner Superfast 85) in these irons has a variable flex point for each specific iron. Lower for the long irons and higher for the short irons, which helps get the long irons up and keeps the short irons down.

By using shafts other than these you will be loosing this advantage. Here are the specs on the shafts...nice low torque on the Superfast!

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/burner/specs.aspx

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='BCC' timestamp='1289488861' post='2785360']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't think DrSchteeve or anyone took it as a slam, just as someone who was stating the obvious. 45* and 46* PW have been the norm for GI irons for nearly ten years now. The added distance isn't a comparison from a Players 47* it is a comparison from other GI sets.

No, jacked up lofts (jacked by all of 3* at most) are not the "Key" reason that people will hit these irons further than other [b]GI[/b] irons.

These irons do for Mid-cappers what has been needed for a long time. Regardless of where the PW loft starts, what is more important is that there is a 5* spread and then 4* spread that continues further down. Callaway Forged Diablos have a similar pattern.

For those who don't know, slower swingers don't get a ten yard seperation between lofts when there is only a 4* and 3*. This spread in lofts will be beneficial. It doesn't matter what the lofts are, it matters most what your distances are.

Most people will find this club much longer than other GI irons of the same loft, especially when you get to the mid and long irons.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

[quote name='18th Legion' timestamp='1289503559' post='2785770']
[quote name='BCC' timestamp='1289488861' post='2785360']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't think DrSchteeve or anyone took it as a slam, just as someone who was stating the obvious. 45* and 46* PW have been the norm for GI irons for nearly ten years now. The added distance isn't a comparison from a Players 47* it is a comparison from other GI sets.

No, jacked up lofts (jacked by all of 3* at most) are not the "Key" reason that people will hit these irons further than other [b]GI[/b] irons.

These irons do for Mid-cappers what has been needed for a long time. Regardless of where the PW loft starts, what is more important is that there is a 5* spread and then 4* spread that continues further down. Callaway Forged Diablos have a similar pattern.

For those who don't know, slower swingers don't get a ten yard seperation between lofts when there is only a 4* and 3*. This spread in lofts will be beneficial. It doesn't matter what the lofts are, it matters most what your distances are.

Most people will find this club much longer than other GI irons of the same loft, especially when you get to the mid and long irons.
[/quote]

Your right it doesn't matter what the degree is for the club you still have to hit the shot. The problem that people have is this is the headliner for their marketing. More distance 10yds further ect... They are deceiving people because that's simply not true. Other companies are doing similiar things. I think it's all about feeding peoples ego.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='sl1111' timestamp='1289014475' post='2776989']

Pros:
Very hot face

At least a club longer

Fairly forgiving

[/quote]

The 2.0 did not work for me. I gave them a few more tries after my initial post (above) both at the range and on the course. I sent them packing and ended up with Adams CB2's and could not be happier. I should have just stayed with my A4's, but that is probably why I am liking the CB2 so much. The original post and this one is my opinion only. I know people who are having good luck with the 2.0. I just could not bring myself to re-shaft a brand new set in hopes of building a better club when I had the opportunity to get the CB2 with the proper shaft already in them.

PS: Really enjoying the KBS Tour in the Adams and the forged head feels great!!!!

I have to apologize to TM i just looked at Cobra's S2 irons. PW is 43*. Were reaching new lows ladies and gentleman:russian_roulette:

Edel PROTO

And now once again, I'd like to thank everyone who knows all things about most things or most things about all things, from those of us who don't know much about anything or at least some things but to having been informed by those who know more about what we know, than we think we know, from what I've heard.

Anyway, thank you for looking out for us because sometimes we don't know these things.smile.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

With respect to big differences in distance:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/422175-finally-a-bad-review-on-burner-20/page__view__findpost__p__2787310

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I had been playing the R7 TPs with Project X 6.0, and just had a hard time manageing my mishits. I just bought a set of 2.0s with the same 6.0 shafts, distance is not an issue for me, i hit my PW close to 160, i just hope these irons are a little more forgiving. From what everyone has been saying they seem to be forgiving and i cant wait to play them. I almost bought the 09s because the price, but i got a good deal on the 2.0s with the upgraded shaft and i couldnt pass them up.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

I had been playing the R7 TPs with Project X 6.0, and just had a hard time manageing my mishits. I just bought a set of 2.0s with the same 6.0 shafts, distance is not an issue for me, i hit my PW close to 160, i just hope these irons are a little more forgiving. From what everyone has been saying they seem to be forgiving and i cant wait to play them. I almost bought the 09s because the price, but i got a good deal on the 2.0s with the upgraded shaft and i couldnt pass them up.

The way I see it, the additional distance is a big plus for most if not all golfers. First off, regardless of how high or how low many of you guys handicaps are, I would guess that most go after the ball maybe just a bit too hard. Now with this added increase in distance, maybe the better players can throttle it back just a bit, and still have their normal distances but with more control, and the high cappers get the increase in distance that many need. JAT

But then again, what do I know...I'm just the 225 lb. 14 handicapper in the room...laugh.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

More distance with the Burner 2.0 irons! Check the 6-iron comparison. Most say the lofts are stronger in the 2.0 than the others....right...BUT look at the comparison chart of the trajectory height of all these 6-irons....its about the same! That's right the same height but the Titleist 6 iron loft is 31* and the 2.0 is 27*.

So, how can the trajectory height be the same? It's all about COG and shaft flex for each iron to achieve the desired height and spin rate of the ball. The 2.0 has fast ball speed off it fast face technology.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/burner/performance.aspx