2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

(A Review) TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons

MrParr1Noid

[quote name='dbloom136' timestamp='1289592984' post='2787395']
I had been playing the R7 TPs with Project X 6.0, and just had a hard time manageing my mishits. I just bought a set of 2.0s with the same 6.0 shafts, distance is not an issue for me, i hit my PW close to 160, i just hope these irons are a little more forgiving. From what everyone has been saying they seem to be forgiving and i cant wait to play them. I almost bought the 09s because the price, but i got a good deal on the 2.0s with the upgraded shaft and i couldnt pass them up.
[/quote]

So, how far were you hitting the R7 TPs? just for comparison.
I expect mishits is the biggest reason for the large distance difference people are reporting with these irons. This fast face technology is great for distance but there are tradeoffs with this and that can be accuracy especially on off center hits.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had been playing the R7 TPs with Project X 6.0, and just had a hard time manageing my mishits. I just bought a set of 2.0s with the same 6.0 shafts, distance is not an issue for me, i hit my PW close to 160, i just hope these irons are a little more forgiving. From what everyone has been saying they seem to be forgiving and i cant wait to play them. I almost bought the 09s because the price, but i got a good deal on the 2.0s with the upgraded shaft and i couldnt pass them up.

The way I see it, the additional distance is a big plus for most if not all golfers. First off, regardless of how high or how low many of you guys handicaps are, I would guess that most go after the ball maybe just a bit too hard. Now with this added increase in distance, maybe the better players can throttle it back just a bit, and still have their normal distances but with more control, and the high cappers get the increase in distance that many need. JAT

But then again, what do I know...I'm just the 225 lb. 14 handicapper in the room...laugh.gif

That is a good idea for anyone using an iron for sure.

Looks like he is using a non standard shaft in the Project X 6.0, so that allows for a harder swing and looks like he is getting the distance...OMG! PW 160....I wonder how far he hits the 3 iron.. :lol:

He can probably throttle back and get about 140 with his PW. :D

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The way I see it, the additional distance is a big plus for most if not all golfers. First off, regardless of how high or how low many of you guys handicaps are, I would guess that most go after the ball maybe just a bit too hard. Now with this added increase in distance, maybe the better players can throttle it back just a bit, and still have their normal distances but with more control, and the high cappers get the increase in distance that many need. JAT

But then again, what do I know...I'm just the 225 lb. 14 handicapper in the room...laugh.gif

That is a good idea for anyone using an iron for sure.

Looks like he is using a non standard shaft in the Project X 6.0, so that allows for a harder swing and looks like he is getting the distance...OMG! PW 160....I wonder how far he hits the 3 iron.. :lol:

He can probably throttle back and get about 140 with his PW. :D

Yes slowing my swing down has been my biggest area of focus. hopefully the added distance the 2.0s are giving most people will allow me to train my self i dont need to swing as hard and let the club do the work for me. it is hard though i am 6'5" and my length seems to cause my swing speed.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1289594006' post='2787414']
More distance with the Burner 2.0 irons! Check the 6-iron comparison. Most say the lofts are stronger in the 2.0 than the others....right...BUT look at the comparison chart of the trajectory height of all these 6-irons....its about the same! That's right the same height but the Titleist 6 iron loft is 31* and the 2.0 is 27*.

So, how can the trajectory height be the same? It's all about COG and shaft flex for each iron to achieve the desired height and spin rate of the ball. The 2.0 has fast ball speed off it fast face technology.

[url="http://www.taylormadegolf.com/burner/performance.aspx"]http://www.taylormad...erformance.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

Nice catch, TM is hoping most consumers are just looking at distances on their web page.

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

[quote name='classicbum' timestamp='1289683455' post='2788838']
What is the difference between the 2.0 and the 1.0 burners irons that are just coming out?
[/quote]

I am not sure who you are asking but I noticed a higher ball flight with the burner 2.0 irons. I am getting a little more distance too? My burner 09 4 iron was my 200-205 yard club and now it is my burner 2.0 5 iron? I find most of the lower irons almost exactly the same but from about the 7 iron up they seem ever more forgiving. I think the burner 09s were a little easier to shape but I am not a good enough player to be able to do it on demand and consistently. They have made this average golfer a better player.

[b]The Scene[/b]: Brockton Municipal Golf Course. $25 to walk
[b]Course Conditions[/b]: Wet and leaf strewn
[b]The Weather[/b]: Sunny, 41º at tee off, 48º at round's end. Winds 20-25 mph
[b]The Layers[/b]: Long-sleeved shirt; Golf sweater; Insulated short-sleeved pullover; Windproof pullover
[b]The Shoes[/b]: Ecco

After being unable to play for a while I was looking forward to take my new Burner 2.0 irons our for a test drive. I have the 4 through LW with the graphite shaft in regular flex. In comparison to the Ping standard the 2.0's are +1.5 inches and 4º upright. They also have the GP Tour Velvet grip (TM put the TM logo on them).

The irons are better than I expected. Yes, I had hit them before, but not during a round of golf. The ball gets airborne easily and bores through the wind like a bullet. The lower lofted irons don't seem anymore difficult to hit than the higher lofted ones.

The feel is superb. Perhaps it's the way the clubs have been designed, but not only are the misses more forgiving than most, but I detected no hand numbing feel (even a mishit with a graphite shaft can be a numbing experience). When you hit one flush it feels like the best forged club, and the ball just rockets off the face. One of the par threes was slightly up hill dead into the wind. I took an extra club and hit it flush and the ball ended up on the back of the green. It just tunneled right through the wind, even through I hit it high. Sure surprised me.

The clubs don't have to be swung...they have the swing built in. A good rhythm and tempo is all you need. The club will do the rest. That's what it wants to do.

My first long iron was the 4-iron off the tee on a short, but very tight par 4. The ball took off like a shot, with a nice high trajectory right down the middle of the fairway. "Wow, that was easy," I opined to myself.

I hit all ten irons today and each one is unique, and each one performs in its own special way. The wedges were a real bonus. The flanges are wider then you'll find in the standard "players" wedges. This makes it easier to get through heavier rough and through the sand...with less effort. For example, I found myself in a pot bunker with no green to work with on either side of the pin. I made a three-quarter swing and the ball popped up easy as you please and stopped two feet from the hole.

The wedges also have a lot of bite. A premium ball will spin and stop. You can also open up the 60º wedge and hit flop shots no matter how tight the lie. So, if you are considering these irons, consider the wedges. They are the real deal.

Overall, I was more than pleased with the TM Burner 2.0 irons. I'm very finicky when it comes to golf club equipment and I have to say that TaylorMade hit a grand slam with these irons.

I also have the 09 Burners my question is it looks like there are also new 1.0 Burner irons being introduced in addition to the new 2.0 Burners. Does anyone know what the difference is?
[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1289683900' post='2788848']
What is the difference between the 2.0 and the 1.0 burners irons that are just coming out?
[/quote]

I am not sure who you are asking but I noticed a higher ball flight with the burner 2.0 irons. I am getting a little more distance too? My burner 09 4 iron was my 200-205 yard club and now it is my burner 2.0 5 iron? I find most of the lower irons almost exactly the same but from about the 7 iron up they seem ever more forgiving. I think the burner 09s were a little easier to shape but I am not a good enough player to be able to do it on demand and consistently. They have made this average golfer a better player.
[/quote]

This isn't really a review as they do look very nice & Im sure they are some nice clubs to hit ..... but while I was checking them out I notice the rubber elastic strip on the back of the cavity. Well just don't rub your finger nail across it as it come out & can easily be pulled apart & tear. Looks like some cheaply made golf club as this was completely a turn off. I would never buy something that has some cosmetic rubber insert peal apart so easily. Im not even sure if that rubber strip serves a purpose or not. Looks horrible after the rubber peice is missing.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='classicbum' timestamp='1289695450' post='2789045']
I also have the 09 Burners my question is it looks like there are also new 1.0 Burner irons being introduced in addition to the new 2.0 Burners. Does anyone know what the difference is?
[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1289683900' post='2788848']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

The 1.0 would be the original 2009 burners.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='golferlaird' timestamp='1289773033' post='2790267']
Okay, just got home from the range. I tested both my 2.0 and 1.0 versions. I hit my new Burner 2.0 PW 135 yards with no wind. Over and over. I hit my 2009 Burner PW 125 yards over and over. If you need distance, 2.0s are it. I'm gonna sell the 2009's.
[/quote]

I just put mine up yesterday for $1 on eBay. Not sure where they will finish but guessing somewhere around $350-375.

[quote name='golferlaird' timestamp='1289773033' post='2790267']
Okay, just got home from the range. I tested both my 2.0 and 1.0 versions. I hit my new Burner 2.0 PW 135 yards with no wind. Over and over. I hit my 2009 Burner PW 125 yards over and over. If you need distance, 2.0s are it. I'm gonna sell the 2009's.
[/quote]

Interesting! They both have a 45* loft, so did you arrive at any conclusion as to why the 2.0 went further than the 1.0? Same height shots with both? Same shaft, length? Or just the improved face technology?

BB

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 2.0's for a few weeks now. They are 2* upright with KBS Tour Stiff shafts wrapped with Golf Pride 2G grips. These are easily the best clubs I have ever hit. Soft like my mizunos, but long like the G5's and G15's that I had. These will easily be the number one irons around in no time. I have 5-PW - and they long 1000% better then the 2009 Burners.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

• 1 month later...

Just curious, and was wondering how all the new owners of the Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons are finding a place to hit their new irons... :drinks:

[attachment=703178:TG & Adam & Snow Pics 086 (Large).jpg]

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1293385118' post='2859498']
No problem. We're supposed to get 20 inches within the next 24 hours.
[/quote]

You live on the east coast I take it... :lol:

As you can imagine as to how I'm carrying on about the snow and the bad weather? I have yet to win the Lottery. :D

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='MrParr1Noid' timestamp='1293389552' post='2859582']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1293385118' post='2859498']
No problem. We're supposed to get 20 inches within the next 24 hours.
[/quote]

You live on the east coast I take it... :lol:

As you can imagine as to how I'm carrying on about the snow and the bad weather? I have yet to win the Lottery. :D
[/quote]

When you live in Las vegas lots of sunny days to play, I played my 2.0s on the 20th and then again on Christmas day It was 58*... they feel great I just need to get used to the distances compared to my last clubs.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

Front 9 2.0's, back nine R9's, both with regular graphite. 2.0's hands down - more forgiving, just a bit more offset than the R9's (which I like). I don't find the 2.0's soft at all, especially compared to the '09 Burner's, but there's nothing wrong with the feel. For whatever reason, I also hit the R9's much higher than the 2.0's (which I don't need, since I am a high ball hitter). I'm still hanging on to the '09's for now, but I am thinking the 2.0's are going to be my gamers for 2011.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I just purchased these irons with the standard stiff shaft. I'm around a 9 handicap, up over the past few years from a 6 or so because of not having time to play/practice. I went from MP 60s to these because I wanted more forgiveness.

Overall the irons have a nice look, they aren't huge and don't look bulky at all. The distance is incredibly long, but you have to remember the lofts are about a club strong. The burner 2.0 9 iron is the same loft as my MP 60 8 iron. I hit a normal 9 iron about 135 and had no problem hitting a 2.0 9 iron 145-150. I didn't notice a problem with loft and was able to hit the clubs a "normal" height with no problem. I've seen other people say they hit them really high, I didn't notice that to be a problem and I hit a fairly high ball.

I've read other people say they are worried about scoring with the irons, I didn't find that to be a real issue. The ball comes off the face nice and i was able to stop them on the green with no real issues.

I find when I hit the ball really well its always going to be a draw. knock down shots also have a tendency to draw quite a bit. I've tried to hit a cut with them and its doable but not nearly as easy with some other irons. I also worry about the clubs from thick rough with a long iron. The 4 and 5 could have a little bit of trouble getting through thick rough.

I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with them yet or go to the Ping i15. While the extra distance is fun, its almost too much. It also requires me to take out my hybrid and keep the 2.0 attack wedge in the bag.

I hit the ping g15 and burner 2.0 during custom fitting .. maybe a couple of dozen shots per club. I could feel the ball jumping off the clubface on g15, more than the burner 2.0 .. but I'm still 'enticed' by the looks of the 2.0.
I'm wondering about the length of the burner 2.0 clubs off the rack. Is this a new 'standard'? Most of the specs I see, don't indicate if the length is graphite or steel. If I'm custom fit for a standard length shaft for any club (37.5in 6-iron in graphite) will this be shorter for the burner 2.0?
Also, was hitting a 2deg flat burner 2.0, and black dot g15 ... fitter says this puts them at standard lie angle. But it seems to be a 1 deg difference, as specs I see on burner 2.0 6-iron is 62.5d vs 61.5d for g15 6-iron .. hmm, wondering if this will make any difference. Fitter kept saying the burner 2.0 6-iron was 63d ...just rambling now.

[quote name='sambocaesar' timestamp='1294112711' post='2873881']
I hit the ping g15 and burner 2.0 during custom fitting .. maybe a couple of dozen shots per club. I could feel the ball jumping off the clubface on g15, more than the burner 2.0 .. but I'm still 'enticed' by the looks of the 2.0.
I'm wondering about the length of the burner 2.0 clubs off the rack. Is this a new 'standard'? Most of the specs I see, don't indicate if the length is graphite or steel. If I'm custom fit for a standard length shaft for any club (37.5in 6-iron in graphite) will this be shorter for the burner 2.0?
Also, was hitting a 2deg flat burner 2.0, and black dot g15 ... fitter says this puts them at standard lie angle. But it seems to be a 1 deg difference, as specs I see on burner 2.0 6-iron is 62.5d vs 61.5d for g15 6-iron .. hmm, wondering if this will make any difference. Fitter kept saying the burner 2.0 6-iron was 63d ...just rambling now.
[/quote]

i can not speak for the g15s but the 2.0s standard length is about 1/4" longer than the standard on most iron sets. I do not know the specs for my 2.0s but from what i have been told and read the degrees are somewhat stronger than most iron sets. I have Proj X shafts in mine but i play them completely standard length, loft, and lie from the factory. I say play what feels best. besides when i was a kid the only irons i have ever owned were Pings or Taylor Made, i love my 2.0s but cant really go wrong either way.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

The more I hit the 2.0's, the more impressed I become. The R9's and "09 Burner's are history. Looking forward to the golf season with the 2.0's....

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Burner 2.0 6-iron .. TM site indicates length of 37.625in @ 62.5d lie angle.
Does anyone know if the length is for steel? I didn't see where it indicated one or the other. If the specs are for steel, wouldn't graphite 6-iron be 1/2 in longer .. 38.125?
I thought 'standard' graphite 6-iron was 37.5in, and steel was 37in. I keep reading from 2.0 owners that the clubs are 1/4 in longer.

decided to call TM customer service .. what a nifty idea :beruo: duh
anyway, the specs on TM website are for both steel and graphite .. they're the same for off-the-rack stock clubs.
rep says that if you ordered different lie .. say 2deg flat .. they would leave the length the same as the stock club length unless length was specified. However, if you are custom fitted .. depending upon your fitting both lie and length may change.

If normal graphite length is 37.5 for 6-iron, then the stock Burner 2.0 6-iron is only 1/8 of an inch longer. That is insignificant for graphite, imo. For steel, it is more significant .. as you will be 5/8 in longer than std steel length of 37in.

The lofts on the 2.0 are a full club strong in most of the irons. I ended up returning them and went with the Ping i15. I got them 1 degree strong in the 4-8. The 2.0 were just a little too big and the offset was a bit too much. I normally hit a small draw and with the 2.0 every pure shot was a huge draw.

I'm not knocking them they just weren't right for my game.