2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

(A Review) TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons

MrParr1Noid

[quote name='Cooper' timestamp='1294366638' post='2879601']
The lofts on the 2.0 are a full club strong in most of the irons. I ended up returning them and went with the Ping i15. I got them 1 degree strong in the 4-8. The 2.0 were just a little too big and the offset was a bit too much. I normally hit a small draw and with the 2.0 every pure shot was a huge draw.

I'm not knocking them they just weren't right for my game.
[/quote]

And I think that you got the specs wrong on the lofts, and too much offset? My TM Burner 2.0's specs must have been different than yours were.

Different strokes I guess.

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron i15 Loft i15 Offset 2.0 Loft 2.0 Offset

4 24 5.6 21 6.1
5 27 4.8 24 5.4
6 30 4.3 27 4.8
7 33 3.6 31 4.2
8 37 2.8 35 3.4
9 41 2.3 40 2.7
PW 46 1.8 45 2.0

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• 1 month later...

So far my experience, 61 years old. handicap 8, trying to quit Sauvage Champagnes (not mandatory).
Former irons: Taylor Made 200 graphite shafts Regular.

I tried the Diablo Forged Callaways and found absolutely no difference in highness and distance. But that's just me, with my age and my own limitations. I'm not banning the Diablos at all.
I also tried some Raptures (Ping) and found an oversized head. Not for me.
Then, I liked very much the appearance (they look gorgeous) and effectiveness (they feel and perform gorgeous) of the Burner 2.0, so I went on a fitting session with a Taylor Pro, who immediately said I needed Stiff steel shafts. I tried both, Regular and Stiff shafts and voilá, stiff shafts (standard TK) gave me the same distance but much better consistency. On the golf course I improved about 10 yards or so for each club comparing with my old TM 200.
And that's all. For what it's worth it's my own experience and I'm happy and I think i will keep my one digit handicap for a while. Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...

great info. thanks to all

Not a problem, as a matter of fact, I had lots of fun doing the review...drinks.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of several thousand who signed up through Taylor Made for a free Burner 2.0 six iron. Got it last week, took it to the course today to check it out.

This club is "stupid" long! First swing - hit it a bit heavy (not fat, just heavy), flew it 192-193 (about 5 mph tailwind). Second swing - no tailwind, hit it clean, flew about 197-198. Trajectory was nice, not too high or low, and feel was good (though not in the same class as my Hogans). Both were basic, controlled, 85-90% swings. End result - almost 2 clubs longer than what I'm used to!

Guess I'm gonna have to start saving my $ - 2 clubs less on approach shots should make a HUGE scoring difference.

I just got mine and the weather is not cooperating. I did get one short range time in and they are long, straight and impressive. I like the high ball flight and they seemed to spin OK but that is yet to be determined. I like the way the black chrome frames the ball.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Out of curiosity, are there any who have swapped out their Taylor Made Burner 2.0 for the new Taylor Made R11's? I know there aren't many in here who change their irons as much as most change their underwear but...as I get older, what else is there for excitement, and for a guy to do? smile.gif

This spring / summer / fall ish, I've bagged the TM Burner 2.0, Cally X Forged. Mizuno MX 300, Titleist AP 1, TM MC Forged...AND ! I was curious about the TM R11's to see how they compare to the group of irons I've been playing / fooling around with...biggrin.gif...Let's hear it from you guys, and what you're still with or moved on to, moved over, around or through ...I cannot believe that I'm the only one who's cheated on their current set of irons...several times..bye.gif

p.s. Just to remember, the game of golf means or is something different to each and everyone of us here @ GolfWRX.com...laugh.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 2 months later...

I just got a set of 2.0s.
I had the '09 1.0s but I drew and hooked the heck out of the ball. I'm still a 6cap and would aim at the right side of the green (sometimes off the right side). I'm about 5'10" and the TM upright standard lies are killing me. Each iron is like 1*-1.5* more upright than most, if not all other competitors standard specs. Add that "uprightness" to the already longer shafts and the avg. sized person is going to dig the heel in and flip these over all day. I played about 15rd w/ my '09s and just gripped down anywhere from 1-2" all the time.

I found a set of 2.0s on ebay that were 2* flat. I never played anything but standard specs. I finally feel like I can make good confident contact all the time w/o having to worry about the club flipping over.
The only concern I have is: the carry distance gap between GW and PW is about 17+ yards!! I only really swing my driver and woods hard, and try to have the same easy 80% swing w/ my irons. I was carrying the SW 80-85yds, the GW about 95 yards, and my PW was averaging 112yds or more. My 9i was carrying 125yd, 8i=138yd, etc.

Has anyone else noticed a big gap difference between clubs??

[quote name='billybob19606' timestamp='1323991167' post='3945241']
I just got a set of 2.0s.
I had the '09 1.0s but I drew and hooked the heck out of the ball. I'm still a 6cap and would aim at the right side of the green (sometimes off the right side). [b]I'm about 5'10" and the TM upright standard lies are killing me. Each iron is like 1*-1.5* more upright than most, if not all other competitors standard specs. Add that "uprightness" to the already longer shafts [/b]and the avg. sized person is going to dig the heel in and flip these over all day. I played about 15rd w/ my '09s and just gripped down anywhere from 1-2" all the time.

I found a set of 2.0s on ebay that were 2* flat. I never played anything but standard specs. I finally feel like I can make good confident contact all the time w/o having to worry about the club flipping over.
The only concern I have is: the carry distance gap between GW and PW is about 17+ yards!! I only really swing my driver and woods hard, and try to have the same easy 80% swing w/ my irons. I was carrying the SW 80-85yds, the GW about 95 yards, and my PW was averaging 112yds or more. My 9i was carrying 125yd, 8i=138yd, etc.

Has anyone else noticed a big gap difference between clubs??
[/quote]
I picked up a set of 2.0's last week. Im a hair over 5'10 and have long arms. I had mine bent 2.5 degrees flat before leaving the store with them.I play Mizuno specs and had these bent an extra degree flat to take care of the added shaft length thus the 2.5 degrees.The new Scuba loft & lie machine is a real gem let me tell ya. To get 2.5* out of these things is substantial. I haven't had an opportunity to hit them yet though. Just been too busy with work and it gets dark too early this time of year. Will probably just take em out for a spin on the course this weekend before I even get to the range.

TM 09 Burner 9.5
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300

• 2 months later...

I'm still waiting for our weather here to warm a bit before I can begin my "new" review of the RBZ irons. I don't know about anyone else but I think that the RBZ's will have a battle on their hands in an attempt to de-throne the Burner 2.0's.

Has anyone hit / demo'd both 2011 Burner 2.0, and the 2012 RBZ?

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='MrParr1Noid' timestamp='1330111116' post='4368075']
I'm still waiting for our weather here to warm a bit before I can begin my "new" review of the RBZ irons. I don't know about anyone else but I think that the RBZ's will have a battle on their hands in an attempt to de-throne the Burner 2.0's.

Has anyone hit / demo'd both 2011 Burner 2.0, and the 2012 RBZ?
[/quote]

With the $300 price drop it will be even tougher. i am a TM guy with out a doubt but the RBZ stuff just seems so cheesey. If they perform nobody will care. There is a golf fest this weekend here in Vegas i plan to try all the RBZ stuff. ill drop in and let you know. i am going to compare my 2.0s and my R11 3wood.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

Mac, I look forward to reading your review. I will do mine after I play with them again on Friday...

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

[quote name='KascoPro' timestamp='1330572749' post='4408047']
Mac, I look forward to reading your review. I will do mine after I play with them again on Friday...
[/quote]

It will be another 3 or 4 weeks at best before I have the chance to tackle the RBZ review. I wonder if they know that I do live in the midwest.. My review for these Burner 2.0's hasn't ever gotten any traction or support from the reviews section, and I'm not sure why. . I'm not sure whether there will be any participation from the membership or from our staff in the review section upcoming but I will complete a review, and with pictures.

We're to complete timely reviews but we don't receive our irons until everyone else has, and by that time everyone has given their own reviews. We are competing against one another with too many reviews, and in such a short time. Flooding the forums with reviews for a (1) particular set of irons seems to confuse the perspective buying public, and from the readers of these reviews in general, I've been told by many that this is a turn off.

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Nice review. I am going to be looking into new irons here in another few months. My current sticks leave something (a lot actually) to be desired and Taylormade Burner 2.0's just made my hot list. And the current price is very sexy since I was willing to go spend AP2 money.

Erik,

I appreciate the flowers, and the TM Burner 2.0's won't be a disappointment to you, they're still good.

Here's the deal with my taste in irons, I'm not that good but I still prefer, and use a more traditional players cb. The TM Burner 2.0's hide their size well, and the top line is pretty slender for a GI iron but...I have learned on blades, and played blades for the most part of my golfing career. Things like the TM TP MC's always find favor in my taste for irons...laugh.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

They still look good for last years model...good.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

what model are these the hp? what is the difference between last year and this year? is the light chrome and the hp the same?

hp? You got me, I'm lost. The irons in this review are the Taylor Made Burner 2.0's. And? Your reference to the "chrome" being the same in the "hp"? I really don't know what you're referring to. Better explain to me your thoughts, I'm all ears...friends.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

hp? You got me, I'm lost. The irons in this review are the Taylor Made Burner 2.0's. And? Your reference to the "chrome" being the same in the "hp"? I really don't know what you're referring to. Better explain to me your thoughts, I'm all ears...friends.gif

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/display/?page=ps/save-on-taylormade-2-0-hp-irons&cm_re=0612+Feature-_-s1+New+TaylorMade+Burner+HP-_-New+TaylorMade+Burner+HP

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

http://www.golfsmith...rMade+Burner+HP

You got me there, yet I'm not all that familiar with Golfsmith. I was not aware that the TM Burner 2.0's were referred to as Burner 2.0 HP irons. I stand to be corrected...friends.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

http://www.golfsmith...rMade+Burner+HP

You got me there, yet I'm not all that familiar with Golfsmith. I was not aware that the TM Burner 2.0's were referred to as Burner 2.0 HP irons. I stand to be corrected...friends.gif

I didnt realize they were "new" 2.0s either, looks like all the did was leave them chrome instead of black. i cant imagine there is any difference in the technology of the iron itself just purly cosmetic.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the HP version at a local superstore and I have to say that I like the black finish a lot better!! I gamed the 2.0 for the last 1.5 years although probably no more than 40-50 rounds and they still look pretty good.

Unfortunately, they may be to the BST since I just picked a set of G20s that I feel are as long and a little more accurate. Perhaps not a fair comparison since I went from regular in the 2.0s to still in the G20s.

;)

I have yet to decide if the TM Burner 2.0's are as good or better than the new RBZ's. It's not warm enough here to be test driving anything yet...ok.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 3 months later...

I have played 6 rounds with my 2.0 HP irons now and absolutely love them. Full club longer and no loss of control. Easy to hit and very forgiving, even like the stock TM shafts. Best set I have played in a long time, easy as G15 irons to hit but longer = $

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

• 6 months later...

Out of curiosity, are there any / many out there who are still rock'n the TM Burner 2.0's? :)

Dave Whitlam Anser