2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

So what's our swingspeed, succes & failure stories

OK, I'll start. In my heyday, a short 5-10 years ago, my fastest swingspeed on a monitor was 99, and I did what you would expect with that, average drives including roll 250 or so.

Something happened, like I got old(er), now 54, and my swingspeed is 85ish and average drives are 225-230.

At all times, including my heyday and now, I have been a high launch high spin swinger, so I've always sought shafts (and heads) that lowered spin and launch.

Heads I have liked: Callaway FT series, Cobra ZL, Ping G5/10/15

Shafts I have liked: UST V2, Aldila VS Proto, GD Pershing, Aldila Serrano

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you brother. At 53 I'm still able to come up with a 255 yard drive at least once a round but average 235 or so. I just picked up a 09 TM Burner driver 9.5 stiff and it's very impressive. It's so light it's really a blast to swing.

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

• 3 weeks later...

Wow yall old foggies for sure. Just kiddin. I'm 55 going on 70 it feels like sometimes, with bad knee's , cancer, and a few other problems, but still hitting average 250, sometimes I get a hold of one and impress myself with a little downwind help get one above 300 , What helped me a bunch was add a couple of inches on the shaft and counterweighting it, now I don't have to swing as hard to get the most out of my driver's. With this set of irons I hit a pw around 130 on a hard swing about 125 on a smooth swing.

With age come loss of flex, just got to stretch a bunch to get the most out of your body.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='jwscode' timestamp='1290104712' post='2796964']
Wow yall old foggies for sure. Just kiddin. I'm 55 going on 70 it feels like sometimes, with bad knee's , cancer, and a few other problems, but still hitting average 250, sometimes I get a hold of one and impress myself with a little downwind help get one above 300 , What helped me a bunch was add a couple of inches on the shaft and counterweighting it, now I don't have to swing as hard to get the most out of my driver's. With this set of irons I hit a pw around 130 on a hard swing about 125 on a smooth swing.

With age come loss of flex, just got to stretch a bunch to get the most out of your body.
[/quote]

• 5 weeks later...

I am just turning 64 in a week or two and SS is about 70mph. I am working on a better swing to maximize my club lag to get more whip action. My current handicap is 13.0 and dropping. The TM Superfast has added length to my drives. I also added the 3 and 5woods to my set. It is the first to knock out my Sonartec NP99 5 wood out of my bag which I have used for many years now.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

My father is turning 70 this year, and I hope I look and feel half as good as he does when and if I get there.

Anyway, he has a lot of lateral movement in his swing which I know hinders his swing speed. His driver speed right now is around the 88mph mark. He is currently gaming an R7 425 8.5* with reg stock shaft.

Any advice for drivers for him to gain some extra yards without him having to go through a fitting session? Pretty decent tempo.

He is just not that interested in completely overhauling his swing. He did take a yoga class with my mom, so I am hoping he sticks with it and gains some of that flexibility back.

Thanks to all.

Tony

I am just confused...3 years ago, my driver SS was 95-98 during a fitting (not sure which equipment was being used)
I felt like I had improved my technique over the years, went to PGA Superstore and hit a bunch of drivers in their bay (not sure what monitoring equipment) and my swingspeed ranged from 95-104 (depending on driver...some were longer than standard, ultralight) - encouraging! I think I am improving.

I get fit for a driver using trackman last week and my driver swingspeed comes in @94-97...Regular flex.

Moral = If you want more swingspeed -go to golf stores and hit in their bays...otherwise - you are what you are.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

52 years old- SS 155-169 (attribute the speed to physical work and conditioning). Mid single digit handicap.

Owned many drivers- My longest one is a poor marketing tool...Steel shaft cut to 44.5" stiff was more effective than all the graphite shafts I've used. Could hit it 320 a few years ago (and hit fairways). Probably a $12 shaft.
The longer shafts don't suit my swing. More of a thug than a technician, I hate to say. I feel like I need a (*) disclaimer. Long hits definitely do NOT equal good scores. The improvements in my game have been in working hard on my short game and working on a 280 yard drive that stays in play.

That said, searching for a shaft to put in a Krank 9 degree head. After spending time in a booth at Galaxy, have whittled down the field to the Serrano X-stiff or Grafalloy Pro Launch Axis Red with Axis tech (rolls right off the tongue). The longest graphite shaft I hit (but couldn't do it consistently, due to a 46" shaft), was a UST Mamiya Pro Force V2. The 9 degree head was a prize, or I would have gone for their 7.5 degree head, but thought a high kick, stiff tip might neutralize the slightly higher loft. Soft shafts with mid kick points balloon on me (Diamana Blue, for instance). Too much spin.
So searching for the right shaft to reduce spin and give me a lower, penetrating ball flight. Open to suggestions on higher swing speed variables to look for.

[quote name='What's a slice?' timestamp='1299952066' post='3049132']
52 years old- SS 155-169 (attribute the speed to physical work and conditioning). Mid single digit handicap.

Owned many drivers- My longest one is a poor marketing tool...Steel shaft cut to 44.5" stiff was more effective than all the graphite shafts I've used. Could hit it 320 a few years ago (and hit fairways). Probably a $12 shaft.
The longer shafts don't suit my swing. More of a thug than a technician, I hate to say. I feel like I need a (*) disclaimer. Long hits definitely do NOT equal good scores. The improvements in my game have been in working hard on my short game and working on a 280 yard drive that stays in play.

That said, searching for a shaft to put in a Krank 9 degree head. After spending time in a booth at Galaxy, have whittled down the field to the Serrano X-stiff or Grafalloy Pro Launch Axis Red with Axis tech (rolls right off the tongue). The longest graphite shaft I hit (but couldn't do it consistently, due to a 46" shaft), was a UST Mamiya Pro Force V2. The 9 degree head was a prize, or I would have gone for their 7.5 degree head, but thought a high kick, stiff tip might neutralize the slightly higher loft. Soft shafts with mid kick points balloon on me (Diamana Blue, for instance). Too much spin.
So searching for the right shaft to reduce spin and give me a lower, penetrating ball flight. Open to suggestions on higher swing speed variables to look for.
[/quote]

You mean BALL speed of 155-169? That is a huge window of ballspeed. You must hit it all over the face of the driver to get a variance like that.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1299953694' post='3049189']
[quote name='What's a slice?' timestamp='1299952066' post='3049132']

[/quote]

You mean BALL speed of 155-169? That is a huge window of ballspeed. You must hit it all over the face of the driver to get a variance like that.

[/quote]

Yes, you are correct...my bad...ball speed, of course...
and yes, when I don't hit it square, I come up with the <160...My average ball speed is 164-169.

• 1 month later...

Shout out to all the senior citizens in here! :)

Callaway Mavrik 9* Tensei AV Blue 65
Titleist 915FD 15* Rogue S

Ben Hogan 18* Hybrid Aldila NVS-H 85 
Titleist TSR1 23* Accra FX Gen 3-200H M3 

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW KBS Tour 

Vokey Brushed Steel 48/54/60 

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1295054114' post='2897534']
I am just turning 64 in a week or two and SS is about 70mph. I am working on a better swing to maximize my club lag to get more whip action. My current handicap is 13.0 and dropping. The TM Superfast has added length to my drives. I also added the 3 and 5woods to my set. It is the first to knock out my Sonartec NP99 5 wood out of my bag which I have used for many years now.
[/quote]

I am finishing my swing change and now my iron SS is 95mph. I will have to measure my drives the next time I play. 2 years of hard work is paying off, finally. My index is down to 11 and still dropping. I switched back to steel shafts from graphite and that feels really good. =)

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='mesquite2' timestamp='1304252568' post='3199373']
I'm 64 now, SS still in the mid 120's. A little background before I get flamed. I have been in LD comps for many years,been to 5 remax world championships, top 10 4 times, was 2nd in the world in 2003 ( super senior division). I hit for Geek golf & use a 6* DCT in competition with a XX HOF shaft.
[/quote]

It seems like fun. I have gone to it several times. The year I went the winner had only been golfing less than a year but had been a baseball player.. How long is you LB driver?

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='mesquite2' timestamp='1304359134' post='3202337']
The LDA measures drivers flat against a wall with the heel of the driver against the wall, mine are 49.5 inches long measured this way, roughley 47.50 measured the USGA way.
[/quote]

Thanks, I knew a guy in St. George that shafted several drivers for the LB and they were 52-53". To me the trick is to keep them in bounds. I enjoyed watching the competition several times.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Tbone1976' timestamp='1299598539' post='3036635']
Hey guys,

My father is turning 70 this year, and I hope I look and feel half as good as he does when and if I get there.

Anyway, he has a lot of lateral movement in his swing which I know hinders his swing speed. His driver speed right now is around the 88mph mark. He is currently gaming an R7 425 8.5* with reg stock shaft.

Any advice for drivers for him to gain some extra yards without him having to go through a fitting session? Pretty decent tempo.

He is just not that interested in completely overhauling his swing. He did take a yoga class with my mom, so I am hoping he sticks with it and gains some of that flexibility back.

Thanks to all.

Tony
[/quote]

Hi Tony for starters I'd take a look at that loft. from an 8.5* might take that up to a 9.5 to 10.5*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would LOVE some guidance here!

age 54, ss 90-95, hdcp 7. My natural shot is a high draw. I play a 9.5 driver with stiff shaft. Usually play a Pro V1x.

I know I need to get fitted, because I constantly hit it further in the air than most anyone in my group, but I ALWAYS get the least amount of roll.

What will I most likely get out of a fitting? I have tried to hit regular shafts in the past, doesn't seem to be for me.

Is it mostly about the shaft? flex point, tip, torque, etc....?

Driver--Ping i20, 3 wood--Ping G25
Hybrids--G25
Irons--Taylormade Burner Graphite Shafts
Wedges--Taylormade Burner 2.0 Steel
Putter--Original Odyssey #5 WhiteHot
Ball--Original Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...

I'm 45 but only have a SS in the 92-97 range, Last year picked up a Ping G10 with a Diamana Redboard in Regular and LOVE it! Some of my increased distance is getting rid of all the sway in my swing but most of the added 20+ yards to all my previous drivers I think is due to this awesome combination. Also seems more accurate than other drivers I've had all of which had Aldila NV-R65 shafts.

I'll be 50 in a few weeks. 8 Handicap (7.4) I was recently fitted for a driver ( Titleist 910 D3) My SS is 94-98 and they put me in the Motore F3 stiff. First time I played with my dad, he thought it was too soft , just by visual observation of the shaft during the swing. You can't argue with results, though as I'm dring it the best I ever have. Ball speed around 145 if I remember right.
If I had to carry 225 I'd be comfortable hitting driver, no problem. I might be able to carry it with a 3wd if it's warm out.
My 6 iron SS is about 80 or so. Hit my 7 iron 150-155. Play DGSL S300's
I've tried regular flex in my driver and FW's w/ disasterous results. Ballooning, big hooks and high flight that snaps left at the end.
I am interested in trying an R+ or hardstepped R in my irons for a bit higher flight, if I can eliminate the ballooning into the wind. I had stiff KBS tour 90s in my irons previously and loved the flight in the long and mid irons, but the 9-gw really ballooned, especially into the wind. I also seemed to hook them alot when I went after them.
Any suggestions for iron shafts? PX flighted don't work for me ( another failed experiment 5.0 and 5.5)
I have a strong and somewhat quick transition that loads the shaft pretty well.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I played an S3 Cobra Max Senior flex driver vs my G15 reg vs my wife's Callaway Fusion ERC 11*. I agree that they hype the SS in shops. Bottom line.................. My wife's 43/44 inch dvr was as long as the Cobra S3 Max Senior shaft and more accurate. Im into my 70s and may have finally realized that the genie is still in the bag. I'm going to our local club maker to convert the G15 to a 44 inch range For info irons/V2 Rapture ASWT regular.

• 2 weeks later...

Swingspeed dropped from low 100's to best mid 90's with age, 57 and back issues now. Have found solice in concentrating on tempo and pure contact, that with shortening the shaft an inch under standard, has helped me keep distance, and on good days when I am oily actually gain a few yards. Also, playing retro 50% of the time now, 50ish persimmons, blades, one sw and bullseye putter, has helped me keep my perspective on the game, ballstriking and scoring, my 100 yard and in game has taken off like a bullett, and not be too concerned about swingspeed issues. The scores are not that different and on the right track, actually better with the old stuff.