2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist Fairways

TitleistFan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist PT is the best retail Titleist fairway IMO. They feel so good. Easy to work, however not very forgiving.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Nothing beats a TM 200steel retail or tour ridgehead.

The new 904F is very nice and solid. I could play that model.

But I keep coming back to the TM 200's - tour or retail.

I've tried Cally's, Cleveland Launcher, Titleist 975F, V-steels and Sonartec SS03, but none of these never got a permanent place in the bag.

The launcher COMP will be on the chopping block shortly as well :idhitit:

To leave space for an old beatup TM 200 :D

Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

I've tried most of the recent releases, 975F, 980F and 904 but keep going back to my TM 200 with the Rifle S-90.  Traded the 904 for a TM V Steel with a TT DG Lite Stiff shaft.  Anyone with a similar experience or have you found a good Titleist head and shaft combo?

21653[/snapback]

if you want a good fairway wood sonartec is the best on the market.

I've tried most of the recent releases, 975F, 980F and 904 but keep going back to my TM 200 with the Rifle S-90.  Traded the 904 for a TM V Steel with a TT DG Lite Stiff shaft.  Anyone with a similar experience or have you found a good Titleist head and shaft combo?

21653[/snapback]

Big time Titleist fan here but Taylor Made woods have really outdone them in the past years (in my opinion). I used to play a Titleist PT 17* w/ Graffaloy. Great workability and distance - but not too forgiving.

I've switched to the Taylor Made Tour V-Steels --- long and forgiving. :idhitit:

[color=#a9a9a9]Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9.0*[/color]
[color=#a9a9a9]Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5*[/color]
[color=#a9a9a9]PXG 4-AW, SW, LW[/color]
[color=#a9a9a9]PXG Putter[/color]

I've had a long list of Titleist fairway woods, and a few TM's in there awhile back too.

The 904F 15 degree with the NV75 stiff is the best of the bunch. I simply love it. I was wandering around a golf store and saw this one with the (non standard) NV shaft. It must have been a custom order placed by this golf store, and somebody didn't buy it. I did, and I'd do it again.

First of all, hello to everyone, I am new to this forum. I jave just bought my first (905T) Titleist driver and love it, I am planning to get the 904 15* fw. I demoed it las week at the driving and fell in love with it. I currently hit a mp001 with a Fuji Vista Tour. Not bad, but the feeling and forgiveness of the 904 seemed superior. ANy thoughts?

I currently hit a mp001 with a Fuji Vista Tour. Not bad, but the feeling and forgiveness of the 904 seemed superior. ANy thoughts?

21957[/snapback]

To me - the MP-001 is a very underrated fairway wood. I think it's very, very good, and feels great to me.

And...........the 904 feels great too! This is a tough choice. I've demoed both extensively - they're both excellent, but the 904 is longer, and seems to be much straighter, with a more "powerful" ballflight, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure you'll see a tremendous "night-and-day" improvement, as the Mp is a fine wood as well, but that 904 is "da bomb", IMO. I would imagine if you put in a more lively shaft in your MP-001, you'll enjoy it a lot better. Perhaps a YS-6 "fairway", or a Grafalloy ProLaunch might liven that club up.

First of all, hello to everyone, I  am new to this forum. I jave just bought my first (905T) Titleist  driver and love it, I am planning to get the 904 15* fw. I demoed it las week at the driving and fell in love with it. I currently hit a mp001 with a Fuji Vista Tour. Not bad, but the feeling and forgiveness of the 904 seemed superior. ANy thoughts?

21957[/snapback]

I own both the Titleist 904F 3W with Titleist Speeder Stiif and the Mizuno Mp001 3W with Fuji Tour Plat 27.3 and I love both 3 woods :nono: :D

But, IF I had to make a choice, I would porbably go for the Titleist 904F, but in my opinion, the Mizuno Mp001 is a REALLY AWESOME fairway wood too, so it's a difficult choice to make :D

Both the Titleist and the Mizzy are GREAT preforming woods - you can't go wrong with either. The Mizzy Mp001 fitted with the correct shaft will give you a great performing 3W.

:hunter: :drinks: :idhitit: :drinks:

Hello guys, newbie here. I have tried all the Titleist fairways since the PT. I loved the PT, but I had a 2 year stint in the car business that took my consistency away, so my swing left me, and I found myself missing the sweet spot too often to stick with the PT. Now, out of the car business, I am on the range twice a day, and the swing is coming back quickly. I found myself searching for a 3 wood, and fell in love with the feel of the 904. I bought a 15* with the Speeder shaft for Titleist. I did not like the shaft and knew immediately that I would replace it. I also knew I might be taking a chance since I HATED the 975F and 980F. To me, those were left left left. I reshafted the 904 with a Rapport ProWound 70, X flex, tipped a little to play 7.5 (in Rifle terms). The shaft and head combo are the best I have ever tried. The shaft plays pretty darn stiff, but I happen to fight a very high trajectory, and play pretty stiff shafts to compensate for this. I think this FW has a great sole setup, being a lot like the old PT woods. I also do not fight this club going left at all. There's my 2cents.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

21653[/snapback]

Just tried a 904F with a Graphite Design YS-6 a club member was selling and loved it. Funnily enough I just cracked the face of my 983K and have to send it back to Titleist for replacement. Think I'll ask them if they can make it a YS-6 stiff as well. Very nice shaft with a good range of flex for different swing speeds.

As far as other fairway woods go, I loved my old Orlimar Tri Hip Steels - easy to hit off the deck like the 904 and more forgiving than a 980. But we play golf because we're masochists, so why make it easier? :idhitit:

I currently play the 980F with a Speeder 869 and this is a very smooth shaft and hits the ball on a nice, mid-trajectory. If you are looking for a higher ballflight, I like the Fuji 27.3 (which was replaced by the 869).

I am eager to try the 904 as I hear it is a bit more forgiving than the 980; however, I will continue to use the 869...or maybe a Zcom TW 84.

Good luck with your search!!

LE

Always quite liked Titleist fairways. I found their compact design made them very playable. The new 904F is definently worth a look.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I´m a Sonartec addict and tried more 3 woods than any other clubs over the last 4 years. I did not like the 975 and 980 too much at their times and alway came back to the PT.

As the drivers became larger and larger, the small looking PT head did not match the new looks of the big stick anylonger, and I "discovered" Sonartec (probably the first German to play a Sonar...)

I tried SS07 and SSS03 in 13, 14 and 15 degrees and stayed with the SS 07 15 for a long time now.

Just recently, I tried the 904F with a stock Speeder and was quite surprised. Great performance and feel. I finally bought one with a steel shaft and installed my favourite FW shaft: TRTI-46. Now I was able to compare the SS07 and the 904 with identical shafts (X flex, Driver swingspeed between 110 and 115 mph).

The 904F was a huge surprise now, and in fact, it could even kick the SS07 out of the bag soon. Great ballflight (a bit higher than the SS07), totally neutral setup (my 980F strong was hook-city) and most surprisingly: a rock-solid sound at impact which reminds me of the "thwack" of the original PT. Very similar distance and easily workable as much as I´d want to work a 3 wood... :vava:

The key to the performance of the 904 are in my opinion: square setup, great face height for Tshots and off the deck (not too shallow, not too deep), great look at adress and super-solid feel and sound.

Here are some comparison pics: SS07 15 and 904F 15. (pic is slightly misleading: both clubs are 100% square, even though the sonar looks closed, *sorry*)

I love my 980f Strong 15 with s300

23397[/snapback]

I was in love with the Taylor made 200 steel and went to the 980f 15* with the Dynamic Golf x100 shaft. LOVE IT!!! Feels better than the 200 with a fuji pro95. Just plain better results. The 3 woods are tough for me. I switch them around a lot. But after hitting the 19* 980f with a x100 shaft in it so well I gave the 15* a chance and I am glad I did.

what is the difference between the 970 series that has yellow line and the one which has a red line?

thanks...

28766[/snapback]

The Silver heads had the Gold or yellow line, the Grey Head has the red line. The longer line on the bottom is for a head weighted for steel shaft, the longer line on top is for head weighted for graphite or Rifle type steel shafts. I prefer the grey head vs the silver, it seems more solid than the other.

I recently pulled on old but pristine 975F 13.5 our of the closet and as a cheap experiment reshafted it with a Grafalloy Pro Lite fw X and it has knocked my favorite V-steel tour/shaqX out of the bag.

My 975F is the non-bore thru model. It sits behind the ball better than the V-steel and I have found it to be just as long and more accurate.

If this trend keeps up...guess I'll have to find a set of '71 Wilson

'buttonbacks' to put back in the bag, too.