2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Affordable Courses near Denver

neutral

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='neutral' timestamp='1302642337' post='3147348']
Just moved to Highlands Ranch to attend Seminary. Money is an issue so I can't go pay $50 every time I play. I was wondering if people know of good deals in the area to golf. I don't mind walking, playing early or late. Or using coupons.

Chris
[/quote]

Welcome to CO! Here are a couple of webpages to give you information of the course around the state. The first one listed sometimes has some specials. Sometimes though going to the courses own webpage or just calling to book can be a little cheaper.
http://www.golfcolorado.com/
http://www.golfguideweb.com/colorado/colorado.html

hope that helps,
Nick

I live in Lowry (next to Common Ground) and it is a pretty nice course. Best thing about it is the practice tee's.. they're grass. The course is relatively open, much of the renovations a few years ago was to the fairways... they have some tough lies now. They also intentionally put traps and the like at average drive distances from the tee's, so there are some decisions to make.

I don't typically look for value over play, but I can tell you that City Park is a fun little course with some decent views of downtown. It plays a bit slow, but I like it.

[quote name='combover' timestamp='1303315237' post='3170730']
I live in Lowry (next to Common Ground) and it is a pretty nice course. Best thing about it is the practice tee's.. they're grass. The course is relatively open, much of the renovations a few years ago was to the fairways... they have some tough lies now. They also intentionally put traps and the like at average drive distances from the tee's, so there are some decisions to make.

I don't typically look for value over play, but I can tell you that City Park is a fun little course with some decent views of downtown. It plays a bit slow, but I like it.
[/quote]

I lived in Denver for 7 years; loved Commonground, and miss it the most since moving to SC.

If you are in Highlands Ranch, I loved playing The Links at Highlands Ranch. It's a fun little executive course that is usually in pretty good condition, relatively cheap, and the best part is that you can get around 9 holes in about an hour and 15 min. In the fall, they do not aerate and the greens are in riduculously good condition.

Deer Creek is another accessible course from HR; located around Kipling/470. They used to do $25 twilight rates after 4 PM, and in the summer that leaves you plenty of time to get 18 in. Fun course that goes around a hogback ridge; couple of driveable par 4s, and some interesting par 3's.

Murphy Creek in Aurora is a great course, with pretty reasonably priced rates; bit of a hike from HR, but if you take 470-East it isn't too bad. Front 9 is the best as housing as crept in on the back. Very challenging course as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not the most glorious course but if your looking for value, Heather Gardens is hard to beat. It is in a retirement community and you get the occasional lost geezer walking across your teebox but they have a "happy hour" special M-F from 12-3 and you can play 2 for 1, which breaks down to $6.50 for 9 holes. Its an executive 9 so its a little short but they keep it up well and its hard to beat the price. My buddy and I usually walk 1 or 2 rounds a week and enjoy the low cost.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1304169856' post='3197874']
You should look at the Ridge's superpass program. You pay 800 or so for the program per year and you can then book 25 dollar rounds for same day play. You get to play one of the best courses in Denver and not some of the "Dog Tracks" talked about in earlier posts.
[/quote]

this must be one of the most idiotic posts I've read...$800 per year plus having to pay per round...for a student...hello idiot...and exactly which one of the above posts reference "dog tracks"? I didn't see any dog tracks...

• 10 months later...

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1302865807' post='3155337']
Common Ground is a great value. For the most part wide fairways, and tough greens. It's not as photogenic as many Denver area courses, butit is a solid layout

Here are photos: [url="http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2193415600100544033mKlgTM"]Common Ground[/url]
[/quote]

This course was highlighted by the Golf Channel today. Great reviews. Its on my bucket list this spring/summer.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

South Suburban ($32 weekday/$35 weekend for residents) is right near Highlands Ranch - nice layout, tricky greens. http://www.ssprd.org/Golf/Courses/SouthSuburbanGolf.aspx

JFK and Wellshire ($26/$35) are pretty solid south Denver Muni courses.

Definitely check golf now - Plum Creek, The Ridge at Castle Pines, and Red Hawk Ridge are just south down i-25 and usually have some good deals.

I agree Murphy Creek in Aurora is great and has good twilight rates. they had the US public links championship there a few years back. Up north I also recommend Buffalo Run plus Riverdale Dunes and Green Valley Ranch (home of Colorado Open). West side: Meadows, Fox Hollow, Foothills, Hyland Hills. NW: Legacy Ridge, Coal Creek, Broadlands.

Sorry just realized this is a two-year old thread! I guess I'll still reply for someone else's future-reference :)

• 2 weeks later...

My issue with Plum Creek is that it's in such horrible shape (both course and clubhouse). It's a real shame, especially since it used to be a TPC course. The occasional $25 deal makes it barely worth the money now.

You can occasionally get a $25 deal for Deer Creek, which makes it worth it. Otherwise, it's too expensive. Also a victim of financial difficulties--they've really let the course maintenance go down the drain.

The Ridge is rarely (never?) at the $50 price-point that the OP was asking about.

South Suburban might be my favorite bang-for-the-buck course in the southern suburbs. The greens are extremely challenging, especially on hot summer days.

Family Sports is also a nice 9-hole track, but definitely not worth the rack rate. There are usually plenty of coupons around to make it $9-12, which makes it reasonable for a quick 9. If the course is not busy, I can play it in about 45 minutes; otherwise, it could be upwards of two hours.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

[quote name='greg c' timestamp='1334894113' post='4756116']
[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1304169856' post='3197874']
You should look at the Ridge's superpass program. You pay 800 or so for the program per year and you can then book 25 dollar rounds for same day play. You get to play one of the best courses in Denver and not some of the "Dog Tracks" talked about in earlier posts.
[/quote]

this must be one of the most idiotic posts I've read...$800 per year plus having to pay per round...for a student...hello idiot...and exactly which one of the above posts reference "dog tracks"? I didn't see any dog tracks...
[/quote]

What are you about 5? I love just seeing the tommy tough guy's on message boards. Yeah and Buffalo Run is a dog track.

800 dollars when I was a student wasnt that bad and I paid for everything on my own. Paying 800 dollars for a season and paying 25 bucks for same day booking is not a lot. But, they got rid of the same day booking rate and it is now 55 dollars during the week and 75 on the weekend. Not as good as deal anymore.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1362953176' post='6584783']
My issue with Plum Creek is that it's in such horrible shape (both course and clubhouse). It's a real shame, especially since it used to be a TPC course. The occasional $25 deal makes it barely worth the money now.

You can occasionally get a $25 deal for Deer Creek, which makes it worth it. Otherwise, it's too expensive. Also a victim of financial difficulties--they've really let the course maintenance go down the drain.

The Ridge is rarely (never?) at the $50 price-point that the OP was asking about.

South Suburban might be my favorite bang-for-the-buck course in the southern suburbs. The greens are extremely challenging, especially on hot summer days.

Family Sports is also a nice 9-hole track, but definitely not worth the rack rate. There are usually plenty of coupons around to make it $9-12, which makes it reasonable for a quick 9. If the course is not busy, I can play it in about 45 minutes; otherwise, it could be upwards of two hours.
[/quote]

FYI - EZ Links regularly has good deals for the Ridge.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball