2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

1757, Lake Presidential or Renditions

purgasoj

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing some nice thing about 1757 from a few buddies. I've been wanting to try it out, but everything I've heard it's pretty nice. It's not overly long, but they said it's not a pushover, plus there is water on almost every hole. You have to make shots.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1305654801' post='3241609']
I've been hearing some nice thing about 1757 from a few buddies. I've been wanting to try it out, but everything I've heard it's pretty nice. It's not overly long, but they said it's not a pushover, plus there is water on almost every hole. You have to make shots.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response- I have been also thinking about Rocky Gap as well- havent played there either and may be an easier drive from where I live just east of Frederick. 1757 is a bit cheaper for a monday round- I think it is 55 with clickitgolf coupon. Rocky gap is $70- havent heard or could find out much beyond the one mini-review on here. IT is a Jack course :)

I played 1757 when it was only 10 holes, and it was as he said, not overly long, nor easy. I actually thought it was really tight. That was only 10 holes before everything was finished though, which may or may not even be the same any more. If you're coming from Frederick, what about Raspberry Falls? It's off 15 just before Leesburg. Might be pretty pricey though.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='mdgolfer10' timestamp='1305660379' post='3241943']
I have heard Lake Presidential isn't everything it's been hyped up to be, I'm playing 1757 on June 2 I can give you a review at that time.
[/quote]
+1

Lake Presidential is poo poo. Everytime I've gone has been a less than acceptable experience. They get no more of my money.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Tbowles- I have heard from other posts about Lake Presidentials customer service- I will put them to the test sometime this summer im sure. I am leaning toward sticking to 1757- unless MDGolfer gives a bad review on conditions- I dont mind it being too tight- it will just make my unfair 5 handy go up a few notches :)

Little bennett I do like MDgolfer- actually practice there 3 or so times a week on my way home from work in potomac. I will putt or chip for 15 min. on my way home "stuck in Traffic" as I tell the wife. I played a mens league there for a year too before I had little ones.

I played Raspberry alot before price jumps and when they used to run the golfguide 20 bucks off coupon. I live in New Market and still play Links at Gettysburg because they still run some specials. To be honest- I dont mind spending alot for a course if I feel it it worth it- of course the more cash I drop- the more scrutiny I will give it. I also used to have the option to play afternoon rounds- but that is kinda out the window with a 3 and almost 5 year old home from daycare by then- so now I have to occassionally skip work or wait till summer when I have a few days off as a teacher.

So I guess it will be 1757 unless MDGolfer steers me away- then maybe rocky gap possibly Waverly woods- my buddy is the super there- so maybe I can get a comp.

Haha, I'm a father of a 5 and 2 year old, so I know the feeling all too well. I bought a Groupon for 1757/VA Oaks, so I'll get to see the full 1757 layout at some point this season. They have an awesome range and practice facility too. The range isn't grass, but it is a full area of synthetic turf, one giant mat in essence, but yet, it feels like grass. Not as good as grass, but definitely better than most mats-only ranges. Either way, definitely let us know what you think of the course.

Toulon Palm Beach

IT is a crazy life with kids- especially if you love golf. I manage to play in tourneys at clustered spires every other weekend- and I play in a thursday mens league this year for the first time in 3 yrs. I also work part time at clustered spires- so my golfing expense is pretty cheap on the "family money" so it makes it easier for me to get out and play in the summer when I have some time off. It has gotten easier- and it wont get #'s harder in kid dept. because I took care of that problem last year (painfully).

I will def. give a full review of 1757 - and Rocky Gap if I play that instead.

On a side note- if anyone is in the Fred. area- Links at Challedon has really improved conditions- played out there in a tourny a couple weeks back and they have put some money into it- It joined the Raspberry golf Trail and has def. improved.

I don't get out as nearly as much as I used to before I had my son. Now that he's 7, I "think" I can head out more. But I'm sure that my time will remain to be limited!

I bought a Optishot and built a hitting bay in my basement of my house with Projector shooting the image on a hitting screen just because I dont play as much- I used my 5 year old as a selling point that she can use it too. helped in the winter and will no doubt be a fun place for a few of my neighbors who play golf too this summer :)

[quote name='purgasoj' timestamp='1305730129' post='3243945']
IT is a crazy life with kids- especially if you love golf. I manage to play in tourneys at clustered spires every other weekend- and I play in a thursday mens league this year for the first time in 3 yrs. I also work part time at clustered spires- so my golfing expense is pretty cheap on the "family money" so it makes it easier for me to get out and play in the summer when I have some time off. It has gotten easier- and it wont get #'s harder in kid dept. because I took care of that problem last year (painfully).

On a side note- if anyone is in the Fred. area- Links at Challedon has really improved conditions- played out there in a tourny a couple weeks back and they have put some money into it- It joined the Raspberry golf Trail and has def. improved.
[/quote]

I'll echo Tbowles and Puppetmasters thoughts. I've heard good things about 1757, although I have yet to play it. Another votet to stay away from Lake Presidential, if you read the threads about service there, then you know doubt know I was one of their biggest critics and stil am.

I just played Greystone up in Northern Baltimore County, it had been over 10 years since I've been there, but it is still a great course. I like the variety of holes and the whole facility is very nice. They are on the higher end of prices now, they used to be one of the more reasonably priced, but it was still a good value.

Waverly Woods is almost my home course, play many rounds there and the conditions are never bad. Just an overall great course and facility. Tell your buddy to keep up the good work.

I believe I may ahve a good friend who you know as it sounds like you guys play in some of the same events. He's on here as SHTerp but doesn't post much at all.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I played 1757 this spring. It was OK, not sure I'll go back though given the other options in the area. A few thoughts:

Posts above are accurate in that it is a fairly tight, shot-maker's course. Not super long, decent shape.

Pros:
-Range. It is huge, the synthetic surface is fine to hit off of, nice short game area.
-Conditions were good. Greens were fine, especially compared to other courses in the area this spring.
-Pace of play. We played on a crowded Easter Sunday and were on pace for an appx. 4:15 round (max) before the rain came.

Neutral:
-Pro shop. Decent selection of apparel I suppose. There was a sale on shirts while I was there, I may have bought one after the round if it weren't for the range. Shop was small though, three people standing in line and the place felt jammed up.
-Staff. We had a groupon as mentioned above. Said valid weekdays and weekends past noon. We show up and are told that its no good on holidays (Easter), despite having called two days prior to check and being told it was good. I asked if the rates are different for Easter vs. other weekends? Nope. Their solution? Sign me up for the "players club" and charge me $15 more for the round than the groupon. Spoke to a manager who begrudgingly accepted. Ordeal took 25 minutes, barely hit any range balls. Outside services staff was courteous but a bit disorganized.

Cons:
-Felt like the course was crammed into the space. A few awkward doglegs, etc. You would play a few holes, have a bit of an extended drive to the next tee, rinse and repeat. At 6600 yards with 2 200+ yd par 3s? Including a 240 yarder? Seemed like a stretch to boost yardage.
-Didn't feel like there were any true signature holes.
-Finishing hole is a par 3 with a view of...the parking lot and practice facility. Major road bordering on the right just past some trees. Not a terribly scenic course all the way around.

Overall I didn't mind the course, but as I said previously - there are enough other options that this is not very high on my list, especially considering that they are trying to position it as a top-level upscale daily-fee venue. I hope I dont come off as bashing the course too much. It is worth a play , but maybe not if it is your only experience with golf in the region.

Just played at Lake Presendential for the US Open qualifier and it was in GREAT shape. They had the course prepped extremely well and they managed to get the course fast and firm. Can't comment on customer service although I didn't have a great experience in the bar afterward as the waitress was very short. But from a purely golf standpoint Lake Presedential was a great layout and beautiful golf course.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1305914792' post='3250003']
[quote name='purgasoj' timestamp='1305730129' post='3243945']

[/quote]

I'll echo Tbowles and Puppetmasters thoughts. I've heard good things about 1757, although I have yet to play it. Another votet to stay away from Lake Presidential, if you read the threads about service there, then you know doubt know I was one of their biggest critics and stil am.

I just played Greystone up in Northern Baltimore County, it had been over 10 years since I've been there, but it is still a great course. I like the variety of holes and the whole facility is very nice. They are on the higher end of prices now, they used to be one of the more reasonably priced, but it was still a good value.

Waverly Woods is almost my home course, play many rounds there and the conditions are never bad. Just an overall great course and facility. Tell your buddy to keep up the good work.

I believe I may ahve a good friend who you know as it sounds like you guys play in some of the same events. He's on here as SHTerp but doesn't post much at all.
[/quote]

CG,
I got a chance to play Greystone last year while I was still considered a Junior (and payed the junior rate of like $30). Just an awesome course, bunch of really beautiful holes. I can't wait to go play it again, but because I will have to pay the adult rate and it is pretty far away, it might be a while. The ONLY negative about the course was the damn biting flies, they are relentless! lol Also, it is not the easiest course to walk....as i found out

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1306285653' post='3259986']
Just played at Lake Presendential for the US Open qualifier and it was in GREAT shape. They had the course prepped extremely well and they managed to get the course fast and firm. Can't comment on customer service although I didn't have a great experience in the bar afterward as the waitress was very short. But from a purely golf standpoint Lake Presedential was a great layout and beautiful golf course.
[/quote]

J, sorry late in seeing this. Congrats on getting into the qualifier. How did you do? Did you make it to the Sectionals and if so how did that go.

You're right about the actual course, great layout probably played very tough from the tournament tees. And as a qualifier I'm sure you didn't have to deal too much with the pro shop staff. They probably aren't sure how to deal with people who are better than them, they're used to looking down on the peons that usually come through.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1307623518' post='3294809']
[/quote]

J, sorry late in seeing this. Congrats on getting into the qualifier. How did you do? Did you make it to the Sectionals and if so how did that go.

You're right about the actual course, great layout probably played very tough from the tournament tees. And as a qualifier I'm sure you didn't have to deal too much with the pro shop staff. They probably aren't sure how to deal with people who are better than them, they're used to looking down on the peons that usually come through.
[/quote]

Thanks, didn't make it to sectionals unfortunately. I ended up +6 on the day, just couldn't make a putt and it certainly didn't help it was the first time I played the track as I wasn't able to get in any practice rounds. Hit the ball really well though but went for a few pins that were in sucker spots and I was a foot here and there off from my landing zone and it cost me. Either way it was a day where I played much better then my score.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307626934' post='3294936']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, didn't make it to sectionals unfortunately. I ended up +6 on the day, just couldn't make a putt and it certainly didn't help it was the first time I played the track as I wasn't able to get in any practice rounds. Hit the ball really well though but went for a few pins that were in sucker spots and I was a foot here and there off from my landing zone and it cost me. Either way it was a day where I played much better then my score.
[/quote]

Souds like you definitely hit the ball well that day. Previous knowledge on that course is definitely helpful, but 6 over for two rounds on that course is very good golf.

On another note, if you want to play with some mere mortals we have some tee times at Musket Ridge on Sunday. One of our guys is a low single digit and the other played for Navy several years back, so they can play a bit. The course is not quite as challenging as LP, but it's no pushover and is always in great condition. We have a few spots left if you think you wanna come out, just PM me for the times.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1307631693' post='3295167']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307626934' post='3294936']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Souds like you definitely hit the ball well that day. Previous knowledge on that course is definitely helpful, but 6 over for two rounds on that course is very good golf.

On another note, if you want to play with some mere mortals we have some tee times at Musket Ridge on Sunday. One of our guys is a low single digit and the other played for Navy several years back, so they can play a bit. The course is not quite as challenging as LP, but it's no pushover and is always in great condition. We have a few spots left if you think you wanna come out, just PM me for the times.
[/quote]

Appreciate the offer but I have a match on Sunday in a match play tourney. Wish I could though sounds like fun!

Edel PROTO

[quote name='niccisjl' timestamp='1307752335' post='3299190']
Lake Presidential is the most over hyped golf course i have ever seen, the staff act as if your bothering them when you play there, the course might have been taken care of for the quailfier but i bet it dosnt stay that way for long. I'd go 1757.
[/quote]

Can't comment on any other day for the course. I can only comment on that time when the USGA takes over per se. the course was great, fast and very firm.

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote]

Even eating or getting a drink there is a problem. Who owns/runs this dump??
Not ONE person that is supposed to assist PAYING customers wants to do their job.

PATHETIC.

Just played 1757.
For twilight rate -great course. For normal season rate... Go search for a better deal. If you're going to pay that type $$$ goto Stonewall or Raspberry Falls.
Matter of fact, Bull Run too. 1757 is not quite dart golf -but it's close.

As mentioned, holes are pretty non-descript and fairways are tight. Left is really dead by way of overgrown brush, water or trees.
I thought all the Par 3's were fine.
Unbelievably, I killed a bird on #12 with an approach pitch. For whatever reason, this course gets ALOT of bird traffic. Not GEESE -BIRDS.
#18 tee box is next to a short game area. I happened to be there when class was in session, with loud kids, having a typical fun day of golf.

This course reminded me of a mixture of Bristow and a tighter VA Oaks.

IMO maybe $55/wknd$75 would be fairer normal rate. But a $95 weekend rate... forget it. There are better courses for that kind of $$$.

BTW warm-up RANGE balls are NOT included in your round. Talk about nickle and diming.

All-n-all, I paid what the course should be charging normally and had a good round. I'd rate it an 8 for the discount price. There are better courses for the $$$

[quote name='doublenuts' timestamp='1309612807' post='3358783']
Just played 1757.
For twilight rate -great course. For normal season rate... Go search for a better deal. If you're going to pay that type $$$ goto Stonewall or Raspberry Falls.
Matter of fact, Bull Run too. 1757 is not quite dart golf -but it's close.

As mentioned, holes are pretty non-descript and fairways are tight. Left is really dead by way of overgrown brush, water or trees.
I thought all the Par 3's were fine.
Unbelievably, I killed a bird on #12 with an approach pitch. For whatever reason, this course gets ALOT of bird traffic. Not GEESE -BIRDS.
#18 tee box is next to a short game area. I happened to be there when class was in session, with loud kids, having a typical fun day of golf.

This course reminded me of a mixture of Bristow and a tighter VA Oaks.

IMO maybe $55/wknd$75 would be fairer normal rate. But a $95 weekend rate... forget it. There are better courses for that kind of $$$.

BTW warm-up RANGE balls are NOT included in your round. Talk about nickle and diming.

All-n-all, I paid what the course should be charging normally and had a good round. I'd rate it an 8 for the discount price. There are better courses for the $$$
[/quote]

G, thanks for the info on 1757. I have been curious about it and almost made a drive out earlier this year when the Cleveland guys were in town doing demo there. But I didn't make it. Think I'll put it on the back burner for a while.

Vokey

Dammit... I didn't see this... I have a Groupon to use at 1757, oh well, it's for the better I guess, haha.

Toulon Palm Beach