2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Going to try Shovels

northernbunter

Any suggestions?
Hey All,

I play to a 6 HCP, and currently play MacGregor PCB Tours with x100s. After looking at several of the PGA and Champions tour WITB pics, I've decided I should really give some Callys or Pings a try.

The most forgiving iron I've ever played is the old DCI's but I figure why should I be trying to play a less forgiving set of irons then Calc, Funk, Annika, Thorpe.....the list goes on.

So what are your suggestions? I was thinking perhaps Eye2's, G2s, X-14s, X-14 PS's ...etc.

Out of the "Shovels" available what ones do you like best?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the set of X-14 Pro's that I foolishly parted with several years ago. Incredibly forgiving for a low offset club, I haven't hit the 16 or 18 Pro series but they would likely be just as good. I'm not familiar with the PCB Tours but if they're minimal offset and you don't want a ton of offset like you'd see in many GI clubs the Cally Pro series would probably be a really good option coupled with your shaft of choice.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

If you are coming from PCB tours (I have played these and they are nice, but not overly forgiving), I would try Callaway X-18 Pro Series (I play these now), Ping I5's or Mizuno MX-23's or MX-900's. I have hit or owned them all and they are all good, but personal preference will decide. All have minimal offset and easy to hit.

Make sure, as always, to get fit properly as proper fit and shaft will make a huge difference.

Good luck.

I'm a 10 index and play x18 pro series. The only problem I have with "shovels" ( I used to play 962b's before the x18's) is on finese type shots. I would suggest taking a look at callaway x tours also with your ability. My buddy plays at a 4 and he likes my sticks but he also finds the 9 and pw a little clunky.

I'm about a 4 handicap and I just got a new set of shovels. I replaced my Ping i3+ irons and got some Callaway x-18s. I got the regular instead of the pro series because the uniflex shaft is better for me than the dynamic gold with the bore-thru.

I've only played two rounds with the new irons, but I really like them. They go between a half-club and a full-club further than the pings and they're really easy to hit. I need to work on chipping with them, but that's nothing an hour of practice can't solve.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

Any of the X-Series, Pro Series versions are great. Give them a try. I used to use X-18 Pro Series and they gave me a degree of control.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

Callaway X-18

I play with a couple guys that play forged or blade type irons, who call my irons shovels. Then I proceed to wax them 6 & 5 for a $20 spot. I always tip my hat to their "players clubs" when they miss one. Ohh but I can work these. Yeah that's it, show me a 10-14 HC (my flight) that works the ball consistently. It's just nonsense, don't believe the hype. Get the "shovels".

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I really liked the set of X-14 Pro's that I foolishly parted with several years ago. Incredibly forgiving for a low offset club, I haven't hit the 16 or 18 Pro series but they would likely be just as good.

X-14 Pro's are the best shovels ever made!

X-14 Pros. Great sticks without the offset. I should have never sold them as they were crazy easy to hit. Maybe I'll go back next year. :cheesy:

Over the summer I have owned about every configuration of X-18 and X-18 PS. Uniflex Steel, Graphite, 1º Flat, Standard, you name it. I tried and tired to love this club, but they just didn't work for me. I was "upgrading" from Big Bertha 04's (which I loved) but wanted something that hit the ball lower and had a thinner sole but I finally gave up on the X-18's after I started going poor just on shipping clubs back to Callaway.

I demo'ed a set of Callaway Fusions for a few rounds (both Uniflex and Graphite) and really liked this club. I like the fact that they didn't have the offset and were probably the most forgiving club I have ever used. A shot off the toe not only seemed to go the same distance, but felt like it was hit pure (well, almost). The only drawback was that they did launch the ball rather high, almost as high as my BB04's.

Last, I demo'ed a set of X-Tours with S300 shafts and instantly fell in love. They are just as forgiving (I think) as the X-18's and I have no need for the offset as it just messes up my alignment so now the X-Tours are in my bag, and in for the long haul. I would highly recommend trying these clubs out. Callaway markets them as players irons, but I don't think that's the case at all. They are very forgiving and hit rockets.

Thanks,

I played pure bladed all through the 1980s and up until about 1995, then switched to a much more forgiving iron, a Top Flite Tour, after my time for golf kept going down. But I went the other way when I moved a few years later and got a chance to play more, finally going back to a mixed set with blades around 2002. But a case of the shanks and loss of confidence in my swing led me to go the shovel route. I got a set of X-16 PS in 03 and played them until about a week ago, I just got a set of Bridgestone J33 combos. But the Cally's aren't going anywhere. If the swing starts to slip, they are going right back in the bag..... :idhitit:

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I play off 10 and have used the X14 for about 4 years now - great clubs which I have no plans to change. I've tried most offerings from Ping and Callaway over the years and to be honest you can't go wrong with anything these companies offer. The G2 is ridiculously easy to hit, Hoganboy who plays off 1 used these for a season and loved them.

Thanks for the great replies, there appears to be lots of love for the Callaway Pro Series irons and Pings. My eyes will be peeled looking for set a with the appropriate specs.

It's nice to see some low single digit caps are playing more forgiving irons. I strike the ball decent, but I think my swing is just more suited for a more forgiving iron.

I'm playing off of around 5 index right now and have been using Ping G2s. I've over the last year played Mizuno mp60s (no good for me) mx23s which were good for awhile but ultimately I'm back to the G2s. Glad I never sold them. I've been demoing some other irons and have found a great set, Nickent 3dx with the composite back in them. These things are amazingly easy to hit and long (due to jacked up lofts) but ball flight is really good. Price point is really good on them so I may end up with a set, not sure yet.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I think your choice of irons should reflect your abilities as a ball-striker. Since you're in single digits, I'd look to a set of forged player's cavity backs. The MP-60, G-Field NC-1, and Srixon I506 irons are all very good. Good castings that offer better feel than you'd expect are also available; the TaylorMade RAC LT/LT2 and the Ping I5 come to mind.

If you really want to try a full boat game improvement iron, the Mizuno MX900s are forged and very easy to play with a high ball flight or you might consider the Callaway X18 Pro Series.

Hope this helps.

The theory that as you become a better ball striker you should get harder to hit clubs just doesn't make sense, assuming the object of the game is to score as low as possible.

Most of us use 460cc drivers because they are more forgiving and thus straighter. Many of us use hybrids for the same reason. Ditto with MOI putters. Ditto again for shallow faced fairway woods.

So why on earth, at any level below Tiger, would you deliberately play a club that is harder to hit than need be?

I continually see mid single digit guys attempting work balls and succeeding 60-70% of the time when a straight high ball would be just as effective and would work 80% of the time.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG