2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mac O'Grady's Swing ... what can we learn?

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418319822' post='10578831']
[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1418317805' post='10578651']
[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418317023' post='10578587']
[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1418315356' post='10578439']
Lol at everyone trying MORAD on secondhand or ripped off videos. Everyone is so entitled and thinks stuff should be free in this world.....pretty shocking. Idolize a guy like mac by trying to emulate his swing, then insult him by not actually seeking him out and paying for the proper information. No wonder you can't get the sequence or patterns right.
[/quote]

Send me $2500 plus two way airfare and some way to reach him.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure you couldn't sniff the Morad pattern . Be a waste of money imop
[/quote]

Unlike you, I can do any pattern, but I didn't like the smell of what I saw with that left hand finger grip in the video anyway, plus his clinic looked more ego trip than info. I prefer to drop out of his inner circle right from the git-go, and besides I wouldn't take a lesson from anyone who didn't know that a Level wrist is uncocked.

However, since you chose to smart off and come after me, let's see which one of us can sniff that pattern shown in the Vimeo better. Up for that?
[/quote]
Ok I'm cool with that , let's see your MORAD swing or any swing

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1418320984' post='10578967']
Lol at everyone trying MORAD on secondhand or ripped off videos. Everyone is so entitled and thinks stuff should be free in this world.....pretty shocking. Idolize a guy like mac by trying to emulate his swing, then insult him by not actually seeking him out and paying for the proper information. No wonder you can't get the sequence or patterns right.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am pretty sure you couldn't sniff the Morad pattern . Be a waste of money imop
[/quote]

Unlike you, I can do any pattern, but I didn't like the smell of what I saw with that left hand finger grip in the video anyway, plus his clinic looked more ego trip than info. I prefer to drop out of his inner circle right from the git-go, and besides I wouldn't take a lesson from anyone who didn't know that a Level wrist is uncocked.

However, since you chose to smart off and come after me, let's see which one of us can sniff that pattern shown in the Vimeo better. Up for that?
[/quote]
[/quote]

That would be cool guys. The vimeo pattern is the one I'm after so watching you guys will be very helpful.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1418320984' post='10578967']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Don't have a MORAD swing to post or any current pattern video. Does that disqualify me? Maybe I have to do a qualifier swing of any type, kinda like Nascar qualifying? Can you do the Patterson clinic pattern? Let's see it. Do I get any time to work on it, or do you demand I go right outside now and video my impression of the '88 hammer grip swing?

[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1418318316' post='10578685']
from my eye it looks like a pretty simple pattern, atleast the 80s version. My only concern is how short and low the swing can be, doesnt seem like you would be a distance guy with driver, although looks very efficient with irons.
[/quote]

Mac was one of the longest, if not the longest driver on Tour when he played. They had him hit several times at world long drive in the 80's.....

[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1418322878' post='10579127']
from my eye it looks like a pretty simple pattern, atleast the 80s version. My only concern is how short and low the swing can be, doesnt seem like you would be a distance guy with driver, although looks very efficient with irons.
[/quote]

Mac was one of the longest, if not the longest driver on Tour when he played. They had him hit several times at world long drive in the 80's.....
[/quote]

Does he still teach that perpendicular finger grip with really low hands or not so much?

[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1418322878' post='10579127']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ive heard people mention he hit it pretty far, not doubting him. Just making an observation from todays tour players

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1418320476' post='10578893']
Joe - You might lose that challenge, haven't you seen 8's swing?

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418309343' post='10577861']

But as far as Virtuoso is concerned, He looks slim and athletic, well coordinated, no reason why he couldn't do the 1988 Mac pattern, IF he could switch to that weird left hand finger grip, which I've never seen used by any other tour pro.

Have you seen the Patterson clinic Vimeo? In spite of the poor quality, Mac shows it very clearly, very first thing in the vid. I'd post a link to the Patterson Vimeo, but don't know how on an iPad. Basically, it's placing the handle at the base of all four fingers, so that if you placed bottom of the forearm on a table the club would stand straight up. Starting with the hand vertical, when it 's closed down, the top of the hand is at a45 deg angle, making it look like a very strong grip. Mac says it's essential so that it only takes a half roll to plane the club face going back, versus a full roll of the flying wedges when a palm grip is used.
[/quote]

It SVS's perpendicular grip chit, max out "residual" #3 whatever that means. Basically grip perpendicular to the finders rather than diagonal, like holding bat.
[/quote]

No, he's apparently too tired to post his Patterson clinic swing. I don't care what any other swing pattern he has, is it supposed to impress or intimidate me ?

Yeah, your grip description is included in what I aleeady said.

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1418321322' post='10578991']

That would be cool guys. The vimeo pattern is the one I'm after so watching you guys will be very helpful.
[/quote]

I'm not sure he's serious, but I am, he's pretty unresponsive, what with the yawning. Do you know him? Does he use the Patterson clinic model? He won't say or maybe he's too tired after the '14 PGA tour grind. LOL We occasionally have some decent days for range sessions here in OK.

[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1418324337' post='10579251']
So much hostility....so little information...."but in the video he said...."
[/quote]

Don't get the hostility - from where. There's lots of info in that Vimeo. I can do that pattern from the info there and will prove it. If you have more info, let's hear it.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1418327004' post='10579483']
He spent thousands to go through the Morad program. Why would he give it to you? Eight and Whatshannenin have played professional golf against some of the best in the world. They can walk the walk
[/quote]

What would a video of his 88 Mac model give me, that I couldn't get from the actual Mac clinic video? I've seen plenty of Hogan video and it hasn't yielded any secrets, so why would his video be so revealing? If he doesn't show his video, how can this contest be judged?

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418325343' post='10579335']
[/quote]

Don't get the hostility - from where. There's lots of info in that Vimeo. I can do that pattern from the info there and will prove it. If you have more info, let's hear it.
[/quote]

You asked him for info not a swing

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1418331081' post='10579825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I seriously doubt he can give more info than Mac himself gives in the Clinic video, which is probably why he's so bent out of shape. We got it free and didn't have to take the sacred oath of silence.

[quote name='petter7' timestamp='1418331618' post='10579871']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1418327004' post='10579483']
Eight played professional golf against some of the best in the world.
[/quote]

Really…when and where?
[/quote]

Give some of the names of those best, who he finished ahead of in a 4 day tourney.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418340062' post='10580471']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1418331081' post='10579825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I seriously doubt he can give more info than Mac himself gives in the Clinic video, which is probably why he's so bent out of shape. We got it free and didn't have to take the sacred oath of silence.
[/quote]

As I'm typing this, I'm sustaining the "lag" of my right wrist....remember you TGM noobs worship this guy and his phenomenal swing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS6zhKS5cBE

[quote name='MikeHuntGolf' timestamp='1418352056' post='10581311']
In my search for maintaining the flying wedge, this Mac O'Grady guy was mentioned with Golfing Machine. Can anyone explain the correlation between the flying wedge and Mac O'Grady? Thanks!
[/quote]

Absolutely. When you are around the greens and short sided on tougher courses, the room for error is much smaller. Mac O'grady wasnt really known for his short game and would tend to hit some loose ones. The end result is a "flying wedge".

Does anybody have a vid of Mac hitting a chip/pitch shot? I didnt think so...

[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1418358563' post='10581749']
Heres my swing, whats a shovel takeaway pingg10?
[/quote]

It was a drill somebody posted that was 40 minutes of this guy rambling in his living room. There was a dog in the vid too. Not sure if that's relevant. But basically the guy was saying to setup at P1, the leave the left hand on the club, and grip the hosel with the right hand to hold the club parallel to the baseline. Then takeaway like you are throwing dirt up and away from the ball. It was from somebody on golfwrx who used to post a lot. I just thought it was you. Cant find the video though. It may have been on a thread from SITD or the sand trap. Youre def not the dude from the vid. The guy who was shoveling-away was older with glasses and had a dainty Hogan impression swing.

You have a nice swing.

[quote name='MikeHuntGolf' timestamp='1418355033' post='10581537']
Mr. PingG10guy, I am having a hard time comprehending this explanation, could you be more specific? What parts of the short game were the flying wedges demonstrated?
[/quote]

Watch the last one where Sergio really uses ground forces with a lateral shift and gets massive amounts of ER in the right arm. He likely learned about the flying wedges from Mac.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu9gcAg_ewk[/media]

[quote name='FrankLinnear' timestamp='1418361937' post='10581927']
Right from what found out through some of the guys in the know the flying wedges were found to be off somewhat even when Plummer and Bennett changed the definition. It wasn't until Mayo came along that it was eventually defined properly and proven with trackman data.
[/quote]

Mayo really is doing well. I cant believe everyone has so much info on how he is improving golf instruction. Was he an O'grady guy?

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1418362046' post='10581933']
[quote name='FrankLinnear' timestamp='1418361937' post='10581927']
Right from what found out through some of the guys in the know the flying wedges were found to be off somewhat even when Plummer and Bennett changed the definition. It wasn't until Mayo came along that it was eventually defined properly and proven with trackman data.
[/quote]

Mayo really is doing well. I cant believe everyone has so much info on how he is improving golf instruction. Was he an O'grady guy?
[/quote]

No he learned from asking ostracized Morad instructor Dana. But he has definitely surpassed those guys. No contest

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418340773' post='10580525']
Give some of the names of those best, who he finished ahead of in a 4 day tourney.
[/quote]

I didn't know 8 played tour golf. Would like to know what tour, during what years and who he actually is.

There's only one video of his swing and it really sucks (not his swing, just the video quality) and appears
to be at least a few years old. Would like to see his tour quality swing. Someone he knows must have an
iPhone 6. How about a FO and DTL vid of him hitting a driver at a high quality 240 fps.

[quote name='petter7' timestamp='1418363048' post='10581993']
[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1418340773' post='10580525']
[/quote]

I didn't know 8 played tour golf. Would like to know what tour, during what years and who he actually is.

There's only one video of his swing and it really sucks (not his swing, just the video quality) and appears
to be at least a few years old. Would like to see his tour quality swing. Someone he knows must have an
iPhone 6. How about a FO and DTL vid of him hitting a driver at a high quality 240 fps.
[/quote]

Is there one of yours? Didn't you play on a Tour?