2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Rim Club

teejaywhy

Play it now...
An ad in the Business section (!?) of the Wednesday 6/29/11 Arizona Republic announced:

"This could be your last chance to play The Rim Golf Club."
"On August 31, we plan to return to being a private club."
"Tee times are limited."

Perhaps it is true or perhaps a plan to try to drum up more business. In either case, it is certainly worth a visit if you haven't checked it out yet.

original.jpg

More photos:
http://www.pbase.com...hy/the_rim_club

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YUP>>>tis is worth it!

From Service, to food, to practice facilities(Pro V1 and Pro V1x on the range, chipping, bunkers and putting greens....all set up in little pyramids) to the great series of holes.

You see all these people coming to AZ and paying $200+ to play TPC Scottsdale and $100+for Troon or Talking stick or other courses.....when none of those hold a candle to the RIM.

Not too mention that it will be 20 degrees cooler.

I have had the chance to play it in shoulder and prime season and do not regret paying the price!

Speaking to a manager at *ACC* golf properties, he said it was bankrupt again for the 2nd time(member owned), and that it was going to remain semi-private, and that the other private up in Payson is bankrupt as well, and will be opening its doors to public play. He rattled off a list of courses in the valley that are bankrupt, the sheer number was unbelievable. Karsten will be bulldozed withing the next 2 years. Vistal is slated to be dozed and houses will be built. Legend is bankrupt. Raven is now managed by OB sports. Orangetree is looking for new ownership. The oldest course in AZ, whose name escapes me(old town chandler) is completely brown, 3 greens have been lost and are literally dirt, as well as the club house that was closed due to being condemned. Foothills is brown and can't afford water.There are so many that I can't even remember haha. If the Rim does go fully private, I'll have to pass, $120 is just too steep for me right now.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1309552908' post='3357169']
Speaking to a manager at *ACC* golf properties, he said it was bankrupt again for the 2nd time(member owned), and that it was going to remain semi-private, and that the other private up in Payson is bankrupt as well, and will be opening its doors to public play. He rattled off a list of courses in the valley that are bankrupt, the sheer number was unbelievable. Karsten will be bulldozed withing the next 2 years. Vistal is slated to be dozed and houses will be built. Legend is bankrupt. Raven is now managed by OB sports. Orangetree is looking for new ownership. The oldest course in AZ, whose name escapes me(old town chandler) is completely brown, 3 greens have been lost and are literally dirt, as well as the club house that was closed due to being condemned. Foothills is brown and can't afford water.There are so many that I can't even remember haha. If the Rim does go fully private, I'll have to pass, $120 is just too steep for me right now.
[/quote]

Its a shame the effect the current economy is having on courses in the area.

A couple of good layouts thrown in there (I like Karsten and the layout at Vistal)

Orange tree would be no real loss if you ask me...

Legend Trail or Legend at Arrowhead?

Foothills was in horrible shape a month or so ago when I played... so was Club West...

Anyone know what shape Raven South Mountain is in at the minute? Looking to get out there

and agreed.. $120 is too steep for pretty much any golf course for me i'm afraid... only a few exceptions in the world- but thats another story!

Legacy is bankrupt? The course seems to do good business year round. Same as Vistal - They don't charge much, but they have steady business all year.

I believe the Chandler course you're referring to is San Marcos. I played there a couple months ago and it was definitely a dump. The clubhouse really did look like a building that could have been condemned.

Karsten won't be closed due to bankruptcy, though. ASU just might use that land for new facilities.

As for the OP...I would love to play The Rim, but $120 is just too steep for me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1309629308' post='3359366']
Legacy is bankrupt? The course seems to do good business year round. Same as Vistal - They don't charge much, but they have steady business all year.

I believe the Chandler course you're referring to is San Marcos. I played there a couple months ago and it was definitely a dump. The clubhouse really did look like a building that could have been condemned.

Karsten won't be closed due to bankruptcy, though. ASU just might use that land for new facilities.

As for the OP...I would love to play The Rim, but $120 is just too steep for me.

[/quote]

Yes San Marcos is the course in Chandler (originally had oil greens). It would be sad for me if it closed as it is the site of my 1st (and to date only) eagle.

Is Chapperal Pines the other private course in Payson that may be going public soon?

I played the Rim for the first time in May, it was a fun course - the layout it good, views are great and just looking at some of the houses is entertaining. I can't remember what hole it was but the one on the back 9 (might be the one right after the picture above in the thread with the hugh rock right behind the green. with the second shot over the water to the green way below but the hugh house behind it was amazing. We spent 5 minutes just looking at the architecture of the decks on the back of the houst (we're engineering dorks - what can i say).

I would play it again, but i am surprised in this economy, seeing how many vacant lots they still have up there if its member owned, that they are going full private again soon.

[quote name='deeviant' timestamp='1310896720' post='3398005']
What an unfortunate name.
[/quote]

Whats even better is that there is a liquor store in Payson named...you guessed it, Rim Liquor.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I wonder if they have any jobs available. (insert bad joke drum beat here)

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

... views are great and just looking at some of the houses is entertaining. I can't remember what hole it was but the one on the back 9 (might be the one right after the picture above in the thread with the hugh rock right behind the green. with the second shot over the water to the green way below but the hugh house behind it was amazing. We spent 5 minutes just looking at the architecture of the decks on the back of the houst (we're engineering dorks - what can i say).

Are you speaking of this quaint little cabin that overlooks the 14th green?

original.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1309552908' post='3357169']
[/quote]

The other private up in Payson is Chaparral pines.... now owned by Steve Loy who is a member and home owner at the course. Not exactly bankrupt, and the new ownership has resulted in some significant investments in the club. In the future, the Rim Club will likely fall into the same ownership.

Both courses will probably continue to see some public play... the number of private courses that can remain member sustained is dwindling.

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is old but I played this course yesterday and just have comment.

I have been a Scottsdale resident for the last two years and have grown to love desert golf. That being said, I grew up in New England and now know that I had taken the trees for granted.

Though AZ golf is some of the nations finest, there are very few nice courses with no distractions. Most courses are close to houses, roads, freeways etc. I miss having the feeling of seclusion. My favorite courses are those where every hole is its own hole with no view of the next or previous hole. I like to be in the moment and appreciate each hole one by one. There are some great courses back in New England with this feel that I love.

The Rim is indeed now private again after being taken over by the Mickelson group last fall. It has a higher initiation fee to join than any private course in the valley. Yes, even Whisper Rock. Everything about this club is top notch, but the Weiskopf/Morrish design is spectacular. I read that they personally believe its their best course to date. There are some very daunting tee shots at first glance, but the fairways prove to be a little more forgiving than you'd think. That being said, the course is still not for the weak. It can get the best of you if you aren't careful.

If you EVER get the chance to play this gem, do not even think of passing up the opportunity. It is the best marraige of tree lined and desert golf. The Rim Club is my new favorite course that I have ever played.

[quote name='xjohnx' timestamp='1340488933' post='5155310']
I know this thread is old but I played this course yesterday and just have comment.

I have been a Scottsdale resident for the last two years and have grown to love desert golf. That being said, I grew up in New England and now know that I had taken the trees for granted.

Though AZ golf is some of the nations finest, there are very few nice courses with no distractions. Most courses are close to houses, roads, freeways etc. I miss having the feeling of seclusion. My favorite courses are those where every hole is its own hole with no view of the next or previous hole. I like to be in the moment and appreciate each hole one by one. There are some great courses back in New England with this feel that I love.

The Rim is indeed now private again after being taken over by the Mickelson group last fall. It has a higher initiation fee to join than any private course in the valley. Yes, even Whisper Rock. Everything about this club is top notch, but the Weiskopf/Morrish design is spectacular. I read that they personally believe its their best course to date. There are some very daunting tee shots at first glance, but the fairways prove to be a little more forgiving than you'd think. That being said, the course is still not for the weak. It can get the best of you if you aren't careful.

If you EVER get the chance to play this gem, do not even think of passing up the opportunity. It is the best marraige of tree lined and desert golf. The Rim Club is my new favorite course that I have ever played.
[/quote]

I live in Phoenix and have always wanted to play that course. How did you get on?

$$$$

• 6 years later...

any more updates on this club? I am currently looking for places to retire and the course looks fantastic....Any idea on initiation costs?

Just call them. It is owned by Mickelson’s group. It isn’t hard to get on. I think it is a great course and we considered buying a place on it but my wife felt that it didn’t get cool enough in the summer. There’s no freaking way I could retire in Payson though. It is not doing well.

Whats even better is that there is a liquor store in Payson named...you guessed it, Rim Liquor.

I'm sorry it took me over 7 years to view this post...but, it is priceless

Thought you had to run somewhere? You over here stirring up trouble on a 7 year old post to boot?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I'm sorry it took me over 7 years to view this post...but, it is priceless

Thought you had to run somewhere? You over here stirring up trouble on a 7 year old post to boot?

Naw - that ain't til after Christmas...next week.

I'll give you a shout if I think my routing back home can head me your way.

I needs to see the legendary "across the road" warehouse sometime anyway

I played 36 at The Rim and 18 at Chaparral Pines earlier this year. The Rim is awesome. Just a great golf course. Lot of fun to play, it's in great condition, and the club has a cool vibe to it. I have a soft spot for Weiskopf/Morrish designed courses so I may be a little biased. I love the work they did at Forest Dunes (family had a place in Michigan close to Forest Dunes for a long time), Troon North and The Ridge at Castle Pines in Co.

The Rim reminded me a lot of Forest Dunes. Some very similar design aspects and a similar feel throughout the course. For me that's a good thing because Forest Dunes is one of my favorite courses.

Chaparral Pines was OK. It was in great shape, actually it was in better shape than The Rim, but the layout itself didn't do a lot for me. It's a very tight, tree lined, target golf course. I actually prefer that type of course but in many spots it was a bit overboard and forced players into only being able to play a hole 1 way. There are a couple of double doglegs which take all strategy out of play as the only real way to play those holes is by hitting multiple mid irons. The greens at Chaparral Pines were pretty insane. Super quick, super smooth, and a lot of subtle breaks. Being the first time we played it, putting was an adventure. Our foursome was made up of 4 players between a 3 and 5 index. By hole 10 each of us had 4 putted once (and we all did it on different holes so it wasn't like there was 1 bad pin placement which made it hard... all of the greens were hard).

The one thing about Chaparral which was cool is you could have blindfolded me, dropped me off in the middle of the course, told me we were in Colorado and I would have believed you. The elk hanging out in the fairways on multiple holes was a cool touch too.

If I could play 10 rounds, I would probably play 7 of them at The Rim and 3 of them at Chaparral. It's not that Chaparral is bad, I just really enjoyed the layout and style of golf The Rim provides.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5