Torrey Pines South - Caddie or No Caddie

bkelber

Will be playing TPS during the first week in August, and am trying to decide whether to shell out the extra dollars for a caddie. My general rule of thumb is to use a caddie when playing top ranked courses (Pebble, Spyglass, Whistling Straits), as it really helps add to the "experience", allows me to walk and fully take in the course, and enables me to get the most out of my game on a course I will likely only play once.

Having said all that, I've heard mixed opinions as to whether a caddie at TPS really adds much to the overall experience. I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you might share.

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played TP many times and frankly have never seen a caddie on the course except during the pro tournaments. I've never even looked to see if they have a caddie program, but assuming they do you'll still probably be the only one on the course with one.

Unlike some courses, at TPS the holes are pretty much right in front of you, without any blind shots or other peculiarities that greatly benefit from local knowledge. A caddie might be able to help you read the greens, but they are also pretty straightforward as well.

When I played Pebble I took a caddie and it did greatly add to the experience through a combination of helping navigate the course and also the running history lesson of the course, players, and surrounding houses. But I don't see it as being as helpful or interesting at Torrey.

I play Torrey Pines North and South quite a bit and have only seen a couple of caddies out there, it is very rare. This is a muni course owned by the city - that sits on some really nice real estate, but don't expect the Pebble Beach experience.

I would say about 40% to 50% walk the South Course and closer to 80% walk the North Course (most with push carts). If you want to walk and have a heavy bag, you may want to consider a caddie, but I honestly don't even know how you make arrangements, since they don't appear to be used very often. You can always call them at (858) 581-7171 to get more info.

I have played it twice. The first time I was in a 4some where another out of towner took a caddie. It was nice to have a caddie in the 4some even if he wasn't on my bag, just to chat with about the course etc. and he did say he got a decent amount of loops at TP, although it was a side gig (but he was a great caddie). They are available if you call and arrange ahead of time - which also means you booked a tee time through the Lodge etc. I am sure the cost is insane.

That said, if price is no object then take a caddie. Sure, its not a normal thing for all the locals there to take one. But you won't feel stupid or embarrassed. It will enhance your experience and allow you to take it all in. Chances are you won't be playing in a group with locals anyway, so don't even worry about it.

Sounds like the opinions are virtually unanimous. I wonder if most of the responses are from locals who get to enjoy the course year-round, and get to play TP as their home course (or at least frequently enough to figure out some of the nuances that make the course great), or whether some of the opinions come from 1st timers, who will likely only play TP (at the out-of-town rate) as a one-time experience. Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking to waste my money (thus - the question).

Perhaps the question better put this way - if your an out-of-town golfer planning to play TPS one time, already paying a ridiculous green fee as part of a publicly ranked top course bucket list, would you pay even more money for a caddie. TPS does, in fact, have a caddie program, that you call-in to the pro-shop to arrange it in advance. Cost is about 90.00, plus tip.

[quote name='bkelber' timestamp='1311172523' post='3407275']
Sounds like the opinions are virtually unanimous. I wonder if most of the responses are from locals who get to enjoy the course year-round, and get to play TP as their home course (or at least frequently enough to figure out some of the nuances that make the course great), or whether some of the opinions come from 1st timers, who will likely only play TP (at the out-of-town rate) as a one-time experience. Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking to waste my money (thus - the question).

Perhaps the question better put this way - if your an out-of-town golfer planning to play TPS one time, already paying a ridiculous green fee as part of a publicly ranked top course bucket list, would you pay even more money for a caddie. TPS does, in fact, have a caddie program, that you call-in to the pro-shop to arrange it in advance. Cost is about 90.00, plus tip.
[/quote]

Never knew they had caddies, good to know. Personally, I think that cost is outrageous. Now, maybe prices have gone up since I caddied at Pebble in the summers of '02 and '03, but I believe we "only" made about $40 per bag, plus tip.

I played the south course a couple of years ago as an out of towner at a huge price, including club rental it was around 300 bones. oiverpriced? yes, but it was the year after the open was there and so it was worth it, I can't imagine that a caddie would have made a huge difference to me, as has been mentioned, the yardages are pretty straight forward not a huge amount of question in the shots, at least as I remember it. The funniest thing about the whole experience is that I was paired with a couple of local guys who were complaining that the prices for locals was goin up to , I think 45 dollars to walk, are you kidding me, 45 dollars to play a US open course

[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1311119332' post='3405776']<br />Caddies are there and they will cost you $180...... Yes, I said $180!<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

F- that. The course is already significantly overpriced for non-residents as it is. I understand giving locals a favorable rate, but to gouge others is just wrong. I blame this on the us open. lol!

I just played there a few weeks ago for the first time as an out-of-towner.   I walked on at 4:00 PM and played the last few holes in the dark.  Cost me $110 to walk 18 at twilight and figured that it might be my only chance to play Torrey Pines for a long time.   As info, if you are playing as a single, you won't need to pay for the advance tee time.   In fact, when I called to make one, the guy talked me out of it and said they could get a single on the tee box within an hour on the weekends.  

I'll say it was a great experience and one that I'll cherish.   I'm glad I got to play the course, but as others have said, it's a muni and gets a lot of play.   The course itself is beautiful, with great views, fun holes and a nice challenge, but the conditions reminded me of some my own local muni's at home.   That's not a negative, just don't expect the conditions to be like a high-end resort course or private club.   As far as needing a caddie...absolutely not.   The course is right in front of you and I can't recall any holes that leaped out to me as a surprise.  

Have a fun!

Residents can play the South Course for $37 to $76 dollars or the North from $24 to $50. Non residents range from $110 to $229 for the South, but may have to pay a reservation fee up to $43 per player.

The City of San Diego is struggling financially and raised prices for Torrey Pines right in the middle of a recession. As a city resident, it is still a sweet deal, particularly if you are walking. But while the course is still pretty busy, it isn't as busy as it used to be. As a result, if you are playing as a single or twosome, I would not suggest paying the advance booking fee - unless you have a really tight schedule for the day. Just show up, put your name in and then go hit some balls at the range and/or putt around. The exception is if you want to play a weekend or Friday afternoon.

The fees can be found here:

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/reservations/fees.shtml

Sounds like you all have me convinced. No Caddie it is. Unfortunately, I did pay the advance booking fee (43.00) for a morning weekday round for a twosome. My schedule is fairly tight as me and my buddy are planning the round in between many other planned activities during our family vacation. We just couldn't leave any uncertainty to chance about getting out on the day/time we have slotted for golf. Greens fee for us is 183.00, plus the advance booking fee. 226.00. Lot of money, but in the scheme of things, it's a one-time deal, and I cross the course off my bucket list.

I assume they have riding carts? Or is it pull/push cart only. Would't mind walking with a push cart, but if no caddie - my playing partner may want to ride.

Thanks for all the input!

[quote name='JCLJorgenson' timestamp='1311180163' post='3407576']<br />Residents can play the South Course for $37 to $76 dollars or the North from $24 to $50.  Non residents range from $110 to $229 for the South, but may have to pay a reservation fee up to $43 per player.<br /><br />The City of San Diego is struggling financially and raised prices for Torrey Pines right in the middle of a recession.  As a city resident, it is still a sweet deal, particularly if you are walking.  But while the course is still pretty busy, it isn't as busy as it used to be.  As a result, if you are playing as a single or twosome, I would not suggest paying the advance booking fee - unless you have a really tight schedule for the day.  Just show up, put your name in and then go hit some balls at the range and/or putt around.  The exception is if you want to play a weekend or Friday afternoon.<br /><br />The fees can be found here:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/reservations/fees.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.sandiego....ions/fees.shtml</a><br />[/quote]

I actually paid $330 through the Hilton since I was staying there and wanted to secure an early time. When I was speaking to my playing partners, that's when I found out they paid $60 each. Ouch.

Btw, can resident card holders get non-residents the discounted rate or does each player have to have a resident card with picture.

[quote name='bradski' timestamp='1311119818' post='3405807']
You'd look like a fool being the only one with a caddie on the course playing a 6 hr round at a Muni course. I vote no. Unless you are practicing for the Farmers open. I can't even imagine having one there unless you just want someone to talk to while you wait for the next tee.
[/quote]

+1

or someone to take pictures

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1311262582' post='3411079']
[quote name='JCLJorgenson' timestamp='1311180163' post='3407576']<br />Residents can play the South Course for $37 to $76 dollars or the North from $24 to $50. Non residents range from $110 to $229 for the South, but may have to pay a reservation fee up to $43 per player.<br /><br />The City of San Diego is struggling financially and raised prices for Torrey Pines right in the middle of a recession. As a city resident, it is still a sweet deal, particularly if you are walking. But while the course is still pretty busy, it isn't as busy as it used to be. As a result, if you are playing as a single or twosome, I would not suggest paying the advance booking fee - unless you have a really tight schedule for the day. Just show up, put your name in and then go hit some balls at the range and/or putt around. The exception is if you want to play a weekend or Friday afternoon.<br /><br />The fees can be found here:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/reservations/fees.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.sandiego....ions/fees.shtml</a><br />[/quote]

I actually paid $330 through the Hilton since I was staying there and wanted to secure an early time. When I was speaking to my playing partners, that's when I found out they paid $60 each. Ouch.

Btw, can resident card holders get non-residents the discounted rate or does each player have to have a resident card with picture.
[/quote]

Resident card holders cannot get non-residents a discounted rate. Each player has to have the picture card to get the resident rate.

**WITB** **Driver**: Titleist TS2 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Elite Orange S **3 Wood**: Adams Idea XTD 15* Super S Hybrid w/ Fubuki AX350 S **Utility**: Titleist 818H2 19* and 23* w/ Fujikura Motore TS HB 8.8 **5-PW**: Titleist AP3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lites **WEDGES**: Titleist Vokey SM7 52* and 56* **PUTTER**: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 w/ Superstroke

[quote name='zerofade' timestamp='1311263394' post='3411144']
You'd look like a fool being the only one with a caddie on the course playing a 6 hr round at a Muni course. I vote no. Unless you are practicing for the Farmers open. I can't even imagine having one there unless you just want someone to talk to while you wait for the next tee.
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]

Trust me when I tell you that looking like a fool has never been a concern of mine. If I had decided to go with a caddie, I couldn't have cared less what people would have thought while I'm out on the course. Now wasting money - that's an entirely different matter. As I said though, you all have me convinced to skip the caddie.

Thanks again!

[quote name='bkelber' timestamp='1311276890' post='3411685']
[quote name='zerofade' timestamp='1311263394' post='3411144']
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]

Trust me when I tell you that looking like a fool has never been a concern of mine. If I had decided to go with a caddie, I couldn't have cared less what people would have thought while I'm out on the course. Now wasting money - that's an entirely different matter. As I said though, you all have me convinced to skip the caddie.

Thanks again!
[/quote]

and definitely walk

[quote name='bioman' timestamp='1311279960' post='3411811']
After tournaments are the best times to play.
[/quote]Maybe. I played the South course less than a week after the Farmers and while the conditions were good and it was fun playing hole #18 with the grandstands still up, I didn't really enjoy the round. That's because they kept the rough cut more than 3" and I wasn't hitting fairways. I didn't know if my second shot was going to fly out 200 yards or 30 feet. It was a reality check with how good the pros really are.