All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

Anyone been to Shaker Run lately? I've heard things are getting better, but I haven't heard much chatter recently.

Played it twice this year. They have finished a lot of the bunkers they were working on, overall it wasn’t in great shape but you can tell they are at least trying to bring it back. I last played it a month ago and it was still only $39 for 18 w cart. At that price it’s definitely worth it.

Anyone been to Shaker Run lately? I've heard things are getting better, but I haven't heard much chatter recently.

Played it twice this year. They have finished a lot of the bunkers they were working on, overall it wasn’t in great shape but you can tell they are at least trying to bring it back. I last played it a month ago and it was still only $39 for 18 w cart. At that price it’s definitely worth it.

I played earlier this year. The one thing that kinda bummed me out is they took down some trees that rightfully punished misses and made the course a bit tougher. Not having some of the trees there definitely made some holes easier.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° - Aldila Tour Green X-65G
Adams Speedline Super LS 15° 3w - Mitsu Fubuki AX65
Nike VR-S Covert Tour 2.0 19° 3h - Mitsu Kuro Kage X-80g
Mizuno JPX-919F 4-PW - KBS Tour X-130 (on order)
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa #1

OK, I was mainly wondering if they had finished the bunkers. Didn't want to head out there if there wasn't any sand.

Thanks.

I'll be staying in Toledo this weekend for the Michigan game in Ann Arbor. I'm looking for a suggestion to play Saturday morning before the game. I already have a t-time set up Friday afternoon at the Quarry Club in Canton. That's my on the way round.

A few places...tons of Arthur Hills designs. I played The Virtues Club in July and enjoyed it.

Stone Ridge - seems to held in very high regard

Ottawa Park - my hotel is 10 minutes away and the history is awesome. Is the quirkiness worth it?

Maumee Bay State Park - Seems like the most interesting course

Eagle's Landing - right next to Maumee, looks like a pretty sweet layout

Heather Downs - Seems like a very traditional course, also near my hotel

I worked at Stone Ridge for one summer when I was in college.

Solid course even though I don't tend to like courses that run through neighborhoods.

Sorry, not much experience with the others.

I have a crack of dawn t-tee at Stone Ridge Saturday morning! I'm looking forward to it

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

Shaker Run update, last played 2 weeks ago - on the Lakeside and Woodlands, 90+% of the bunkers have been completed, and they have done a nice job. The Meadows 9, they have not done anything with the bunkers (they are just grass bunkers now for the most part). The fairways were in pretty good condition, as were the greens. The trees being taken down from a previous post were done 3-6 years ago due to the Emerald Ash Borer - didn't have a choice. Most noticeable on the Woodlands 9. The big issue for me is the construction on the Lakeside 9. The new condos being built in my opinion will get hit daily on holes 3 and 4, and probably on 8. They have turned a really nice nine into an OB nightmare if you stray offline just a little bit. Range is in rough shape, but they can only spend so much money at a time, and all of us would prefer a good course over a good range i think.

Yes it is in much better condition than in the past few years, but still has a ways to go. For $49 w/cart on a weekend AM (woodlands - lakeside) and $42 w/ cart for Lakeside / meadows it is a pretty good deal so we continue to return a few times a month. (helps to live 10 mins away also) It is also quite easy to get a tee time, due to the lack of people returning due to the bad conditions for the past few years. It is was $59 like Heatherwoode, it would be hard to recommend.

Only real big issue is pace of play and lack of a ranger helping out. Yes it can be easy to get a tee time, but if the 7:30AM group on a Saturday AM takes 4.5 - 5 hours to play, then the course is in trouble. We have played in 3.5 hours when everything is moving along great, but also have 4.5-5 hour rounds when the group holding everything up could not care about moving along. Interesting point is that all of the carts are GPS tagged, so the pro shop should know how long rounds are taking just by looking at a screen and be able to pinpoint the culprits, just don't see them doing anything about it.

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

So it looks like I'm moving to NW Ohio. Can you help paint a picture for me, is golf as bleak as I am imagining during Nov-Mar? I have the impression that I pretty much will not be able to play at all during that time.

Yes it's that bad. March is sometimes playable. Sometimes it's too wet however. You'll likely get a couple rounds in in March but they will be winter rules. April is when golf season starts ramping up. Although I believe this year, in Columbus at least, most of April was completely rained out. I know my buddy was bitching that his golf season basically didn't start until Memorial Day because it rained almost every weekend.

And this is a big reason why I moved to Phoenix.

.... and thus my research into Launch Monitors and Golf Simulators begins.

I seriously put a putting green in my backyard. Less than 2 years after that I have to move. Ugh.

It's Miles of Golfs last Friday night party of the year tonight.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Piqua Country Club is running a $29 "Member for a Day" special for unlimited golf, cart, and post-round draft beer.

Anyone on here played the course? The original 9 is a Donald Ross design with the second 9 added later designed by Jack Kidwell.

It's one of the few courses in the Greater Dayton area that I haven't played, so I was glad to find a good deal to help check it off the list, lol.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Piqua Country Club is running a $29 "Member for a Day" special for unlimited golf, cart, and post-round draft beer.

Anyone on here played the course? The original 9 is a Donald Ross design with the second 9 added later designed by Jack Kidwell.

It's one of the few courses in the Greater Dayton area that I haven't played, so I was glad to find a good deal to help check it off the list, lol.

It is worth playing at that price 1 time. The front 9 has character, but the back 9 seems like an entire different, and boring, course.

Just played out there last week and the conditions leave a lot to be desired. Fairways were very "thin/sparse" with a layer of mud visible and the greens were running very slow.

I almost forgot, do not plan on getting much of a warm up in before your round. Their range is just flags stuck into the ground on the side of a hill and you are only allowed to hit a max shot of 155 yards.

Like I said, worth playing to check it off the list, but not someplace I would play again given the choice.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I am going to Cincinnati for the wedding in October from Chicago and will be looking to play a round. What is the best public course in the Cincinnati area?

Thanks for the help!

The best public track is Stonelick Hills. Just played there Saturday and missed an eagle on 18 by a foot. Other strong courses include Lassing Pointe, Elks Run, Legendary Run and Walden Ponds...but Stonelick is a step above all of those. Have fun!!!!!

I am going to Cincinnati for the wedding in October from Chicago and will be looking to play a round. What is the best public course in the Cincinnati area?

Thanks for the help!

The best public track is Stonelick Hills. Just played there Saturday and missed an eagle on 18 by a foot. Other strong courses include Lassing Pointe, Elks Run, Legendary Run and Walden Ponds...but Stonelick is a step above all of those. Have fun!!!!!

Thank you for the advice!

Mci711, Heatherwoode seems to always be nice, in between Dayton and Cincy. Aston Oaks was fun and in good shape when I played it on Father's day, that's on the west side of town near the river. Stonelick is my favorite though, that's way out on the east side.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Mci711, Heatherwoode seems to always be nice, in between Dayton and Cincy. Aston Oaks was fun and in good shape when I played it on Father's day, that's on the west side of town near the river. Stonelick is my favorite though, that's way out on the east side.

I asked this before even looking at where the wedding reception is, and it happens to be east of the city as well. So Stonelick will work out pretty nicely, 20 minutes away on maps.

Thanks for the help!

I enjoy Lassing, but I feel like they have some drainage issues, unless they’ve fixed them in the last few years. It has been a bit since I’ve played that track, even though I work about 6 miles from it. I need to get out there again.

And +1 for Stonelick. I also like Legendary Run and Elks Run. They’re all pretty close together, so if you have enough free time in a day, hit up a couple.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° - Aldila Tour Green X-65G
Adams Speedline Super LS 15° 3w - Mitsu Fubuki AX65
Nike VR-S Covert Tour 2.0 19° 3h - Mitsu Kuro Kage X-80g
Mizuno JPX-919F 4-PW - KBS Tour X-130 (on order)
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa #1

Thanks for the help!

I enjoy Lassing, but I feel like they have some drainage issues, unless they’ve fixed them in the last few years. It has been a bit since I’ve played that track, even though I work about 6 miles from it. I need to get out there again.

And +1 for Stonelick. I also like Legendary Run and Elks Run. They’re all pretty close together, so if you have enough free time in a day, hit up a couple.

Agreed. I live 10 minutes from Lassing and some holes do have drainage issues. Legendary, Elks Run, Stonelick are all nice, I’ve not played Walden.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Im in Columbus this weekend. Kids soccer tournament. Little chilly!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

• 2 weeks later...

Miles of Golf Cincy:

October Offer!

Free Driver Evaluation

in the Cluboratory

Email Derekto sign up.

Our experienced club fitters will use the TrackMan™ Launch Monitor to evaluate the performance

of your current driver.

(30 min. session, appointment required)

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Miles of Golf Cincy:

October Offer!

Free Driver Evaluation

in the Cluboratory

Email Derekto sign up.

Our experienced club fitters will use the TrackMan™ Launch Monitor to evaluate the performance

of your current driver.

I've worked with Derek, he's a top notch guy. Most of the guys at Miles are. It's a breath of fresh air when you feel like you're not constantly trying to be sold something.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Miles of Golf Cincy:

October Offer!

Free Driver Evaluation

in the Cluboratory

Email Derekto sign up.

of your current driver.

I've worked with Derek, he's a top notch guy. Most of the guys at Miles are. It's a breath of fresh air when you feel like you're not constantly trying to be sold something.

Yeah, me too. Ive worked with most down there. All top notch. Great place really.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Has anyone ever gone through the fitting at Golf Depot in Gahanna? How thorough were they and did you feel it was money well spent? Did they fit things like swingweight as well? Thank you in advance for any responses.

I'm sorry, I have not - I've done my fittings with Jeff Jackson at Granville Golfland.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Has anyone ever gone through the fitting at Golf Depot in Gahanna? How thorough were they and did you feel it was money well spent? Did they fit things like swingweight as well? Thank you in advance for any responses.

Go to Jeff at Granville Golfland or through True Spec. They built a new fitting center out of Brookside CC in Worthington.