2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What's THE best public golf course in Alabama?

adamjstl

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely not the Judge since it's not even the best course on the RTJ Trail. Of the ones I've played, Shoals - Schoolmaster, Capital Hill - Senator, and Oxmoor Valley - Ridge are all better to me.

I've never heard a bad thing about Farmlinks, but haven't played it.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

[quote name='MarkCPA' timestamp='1319226892' post='3702105']
It's definitely not the Judge since it's not even the best course on the RTJ Trail. Of the ones I've played, Shoals - Schoolmaster, Capital Hill - Senator, and Oxmoor Valley - Ridge are all better to me.

[/quote]

I've never played The Judge. What's not to like about it?

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1319257506' post='3703811']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me get this out of the way first: Hole No. 1 on The Judge is the best golf hole on the entire trail, period. There isn't even a close second.

After that, however, you drop off down into the river basin and from there, it's 17 holes of flogging courtesy of Mr. Jones and Friends. Lots of forced carries, lots of water, and lots of redundancy. If you want to challenge yourself, by all means play the thing. I had an official with the LPGA tell me one of the two reasons they play the Senator instead of the Judge when they come to Prattville every year is the Judge is too hard for LPGA players. (The other reason for playing the Senator is easier camera locations.)

To me, The Judge is knocking on the door of my top 5 on the Trail based largely on the strength of the way it opens. Ahead of it, though, I'd place the Canyon-Sherling loop from Cambrian Ridge, the Highlands course at Hampton Cove and the Falls course at Magnolia Grove. I used to have the Silver Lakes courses ahead of it but after the tornado damage, I can't say how that course plays anymore. I also really like Fighting Joe at The Shoals.

As to what's the best single public course in Alabama, I have not played FarmLinks yet so I can't say. My personal favorite is Cambrian Ridge in Greenville.

Jess

I've played quite a few on the Trail, and while I haven't played a bad RTJ course, Farmlinks is a notch above all of them. It's in the middle of nowhere, and beer's not allowed on the premises, which is not great on a guy's trip. (There's definitely a religious undertone there...they've got scriptures on big rocks when you're driving in if I remember correctly). That said, it's well worth the effort. It's one of my favorite courses anywhere.

Capitol Hill is my home course and I play judge much less than the other two. I enjoyed the lakes at grand national and valley is very good at oxmoor. I do enjoy Greenville but greens can be unfair due to huge undulation changes. I also liked limestone but it is 1.5 hrs from me. My fav is probably farm links as well. I like hurdzan designs and farm links treats you great, food is fantastic and course is very scenic. They also run very good promotions throughout the year. I have yet to play at shoals and mobile...played Lakewood and it was ok for me. The best thing about trail is condition of courses and value...can't be beat.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1319298492' post='3704835']
I've played quite a few on the Trail, and while I haven't played a bad RTJ course, Farmlinks is a notch above all of them. It's in the middle of nowhere, [b]and beer's not allowed on the premises, which is not great on a guy's trip.[/b] (There's definitely a religious undertone there...they've got scriptures on big rocks when you're driving in if I remember correctly). That said, it's well worth the effort. It's one of my favorite courses anywhere.
[/quote]

No Beer = FAIL!!!:drinks:

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1319335786' post='3706387']
Has no one played LImestone? I played Farmlinks in 06 and LImestone in 08 and thought LImestone was just a bit better overall.
[/quote]

I played Limestone, and I didn't think they were in the same league. I remember the layout was pretty good at Limestone, and it's more of a parkland course (which I like), but it was in AWFUL condition. It was by far the worst conditioned course we played on that trip.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It has been over 10 years since I played the Judge. In fact, the Judge had only been open a few days when I last played it, so take this for what it's worth and the age of the impression. I got the feeling after walking off of 18, the design was done by Judge Smails and someone whose prior design work was limited to the construction of iron maidens making the motto, "you'll shoot 100 and like it!". Uh, no I won't.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

[quote name='mafields627' timestamp='1319478664' post='3711743']
[quote name='King Kobra' timestamp='1319404120' post='3708555']
What's the worst public course in Alabama? My vote goes to Dothan National.
[/quote]

I'm voting Hidden Meadows in Tuscaloosa. It's alternately known as Hidden Fairways. If a ball goes left or right, it's almost a lost cause in trying to find it.
[/quote]

I am by no means an expert on Alabama golf but we just came back from a trip were we played Silver Lakes (all 27), Ross Bridge and Muscle Schoals (Fighting Joe and Schoolmaster). I though Ross Bridge was fantastic. A terrific combination of service, driving range, conditioning, layout,etc... All were top notch. We were going to play farmlinks but ran out of time on our trip and cut that course out as others didn't want to have another day of 36 holes.

[quote name='Frohlich' timestamp='1319481303' post='3711893']
[/quote]

I'm voting Hidden Meadows in Tuscaloosa. It's alternately known as Hidden Fairways. If a ball goes left or right, it's almost a lost cause in trying to find it.
[/quote]

I am by no means an expert on Alabama golf but we just came back from a trip were we played Silver Lakes (all 27), Ross Bridge and Muscle Schoals (Fighting Joe and Schoolmaster). I though Ross Bridge was fantastic. A terrific combination of service, driving range, conditioning, layout,etc... All were top notch. We were going to play farmlinks but ran out of time on our trip and cut that course out as others didn't want to have another day of 36 holes.
[/quote]

how would you rank ross bridge, schoolmaster, fighting joe, and silver lakes??

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1319514699' post='3714289']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

1)Ross Bridge - best combination of service, layout and conditioning of the RTJ course we played. Just walked away really impressed with everything at the course. The weather was perfect, the scenery was exceptional and we just all loved it. I would play this course again in a heartbeat.

2)Silver Lakes - my second favorite of the RTJ courses we played. Lots of elevation changes and very tough greens with all the slopes involved. Sometimes good shots didn't get rewarded but it was just a very nice layout that isn't like anything we get in Cincinnati. I liked HeatBreaker and Backbreaker more then Mindbreaker.

3)Muscle Shoals - I prefered Fighting Joe slightly over Schoolmaster (both were very nice). Fighting Joe is a links type course with beautiful scenery on many holes. My only slight complaint would be the fairways were bent grass (I think) and actually needed to be cut. Seemed like they didn't mow it that morning for some reason? Schoolmaster was still a very nice course but I would classify as a Parkland type course and you see those a lot here in Ohio. So it didn't seem as special as some of the other tracks in the sense that it was somewhat similar to what I see all the time.

Overall, I liked all the courses very much and would love to come back down to the trail sometime.

[quote name='Frohlich' timestamp='1319550253' post='3715179']
[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1319514699' post='3714289']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

1)Ross Bridge - best combination of service, layout and conditioning of the RTJ course we played. Just walked away really impressed with everything at the course. The weather was perfect, the scenery was exceptional and we just all loved it. I would play this course again in a heartbeat.

2)Silver Lakes - my second favorite of the RTJ courses we played. Lots of elevation changes and very tough greens with all the slopes involved. Sometimes good shots didn't get rewarded but it was just a very nice layout that isn't like anything we get in Cincinnati. I liked HeatBreaker and Backbreaker more then Mindbreaker.

3)Muscle Shoals - I prefered Fighting Joe slightly over Schoolmaster (both were very nice). Fighting Joe is a links type course with beautiful scenery on many holes. My only slight complaint would be the fairways were bent grass (I think) and actually needed to be cut. Seemed like they didn't mow it that morning for some reason? Schoolmaster was still a very nice course but I would classify as a Parkland type course and you see those a lot here in Ohio. So it didn't seem as special as some of the other tracks in the sense that it was somewhat similar to what I see all the time.

Overall, I liked all the courses very much and would love to come back down to the trail sometime.
[/quote]

I've played several of the best public courses in Alabama, including Silver Lakes and both courses at The Shoals... From what I saw on facebook, Silver Lakes looks TOTALLY different after the tornado in the spring. I agree that Fighting Joe was a little better than The Schoolmaster. FJ was really strong throughout, where SM had alot of great holes and alot of so-so holes.

If you ever get back to Alabama, you must play Limestone Springs and Farmlinks. Both of those are EASILY better than Silver Lakes or The Shoals, which might sound hard to believe, but very true. As you can see on this thread, they seem to be about a coin toss for best in the state. My vote goes to Limestone, but it's close. Either way, those courses will BLOW YOU AWAY!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten to play many public courses south of Huntsville other than RTJ courses. The rest of Alabama has so many good courses - makes north alabama look like a goat track for golf. I have played almost all the public courses in north alabama.

Gunters Landing - great course with bent grass greens on the tennessee river. I love this course.

Guntersville state park - tornados took out many many trees which really improved this layout. they have also redone all 18 greens - reminds me of what playing Augusta National would be like with all the elevation changes and tall pines.

RTJ Hampton Cove is my home course. I do not like the river course at hampton cove - very boring. Highlands is better.

Silverlakes - loved it before the tornados, haven't seen it since.

Ross Bridge - I liked it, but it and Oxmoor Valley are in the same valley and look very similar. Other than the bag pipes at the end of the day, I just cant pay that much for it. Plus, I didn't like all the blind shots.

Shoals - love fighting joe. If you are driving well, it isn't so bad. I have played it from the tips and holy cow is it long! Schoolmaster isn't bad either, but nothing real special. 18th hole on schoolmaster is a let down. 18th on fighting joe is a tough par 3.

Capital Hill - loved the first hole of the judge. I really liked the Legislator - it is like a mix of both the judge and the senator.

oxmoor valley - I like the ridge course, requires some shot placement. Valley is pretty, but can get real sloppy after rain.

grand national - i played the Lake course during a drought so it was not good shape. I would like to go play it again.

Limestone Springs - i like the layout. Tight course requires good tee shots. I played a state qualifier there a few years ago. Practice round was great, but it bit my butt in the actual tournament.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

[/quote]

[/quote]

I actually like Hidden Meadows. Parkland for about half of it and links-style for the other. There's really only a couple of holes there that I don't like, especially the first hole that runs past the driving range.

The worst course in the state used to be Harry Pritchett Memorial in Tuscaloosa, followed closely by Mimosa Park in the same town. Pritchett was plowed under thank goodness, and Mimosa has been redesigned but is now private. The worst public course I can think of is probably Empire Golf Club, which is in the middle of the piney woods north of Birmingham, or Spring Creek in Tuscumbia. I played Empire once when there literally was no grass on any tee box. None. All of them were dirt/sand.

Jess

• 1 month later...

[quote name='JessN16' timestamp='1319260075' post='3703897']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me get this out of the way first: Hole No. 1 on The Judge is the best golf hole on the entire trail, period. There isn't even a close second.

After that, however, you drop off down into the river basin and from there, it's 17 holes of flogging courtesy of Mr. Jones and Friends. Lots of forced carries, lots of water, and lots of redundancy. If you want to challenge yourself, by all means play the thing. I had an official with the LPGA tell me one of the two reasons they play the Senator instead of the Judge when they come to Prattville every year is the Judge is too hard for LPGA players. (The other reason for playing the Senator is easier camera locations.)

To me, The Judge is knocking on the door of my top 5 on the Trail based largely on the strength of the way it opens. Ahead of it, though, I'd place the Canyon-Sherling loop from Cambrian Ridge, the Highlands course at Hampton Cove and the Falls course at Magnolia Grove. I used to have the Silver Lakes courses ahead of it but after the tornado damage, I can't say how that course plays anymore. I also really like Fighting Joe at The Shoals.

As to what's the best single public course in Alabama, I have not played FarmLinks yet so I can't say. My personal favorite is Cambrian Ridge in Greenville.

Jess
[/quote]

+1 to everything in this post! Great minds think alike!