Are Golftec lessons good?

bapefiend

[quote name='BlueChao' timestamp='1311390328' post='3415980']
[quote name='pgapro13' timestamp='1304377269' post='3203213']
[quote name='spk74' timestamp='1160766557' post='306660']
Right, I'm definitely not saying that GolfTec is bad. I've only heard GREAT things about them being able to quickly identify and fix swing flaws. The original poster could probably benefit greatly from their lessons.

I am saying that they probably won't be equipped to help him with his PRE-SHOT ROUTINE and COURSE MANAGEMENT...which are the two things he mentioned in his original post. I was just encouraging him to figure those out on his own, or seek the advice of friends, etc.
[/quote]

The majority of Golftec professionals are PGA members, most are Class A, other are Apprentices... but they are making an effort to hire PGA members and apprentices to make the company better.

That being said, all the professionals in the PGA are capable in helping you with pre-shot routine and course management, and any other facet of the game you need help with. That is what the education and PGA is all about. All you have to do is ask, and they will find a way to help you with any part of your game.

And a final note on "teaching everyone the same swing"... 1) There are fundamentals in the golf swing that we (instructors) try to achieve that make the golf swing efficient and repeatable. 2) Anyone who truly believes that all every instructor in an academy or school teach the same way or teach the same swing is completely misguided. 3) You are probably the person who doesnt want to work that hard on their game because you are scared to change anything. Trust the professionals, I guarantee you will improve if you are willing to listen and work hard!
[/quote]

I went to GolfTec and purchased lesson package. I was a little skeptical as I played with a guy in a leaue who went to GolfTec and he went from bad to really sucking. After GolfTec he hit an occasional really good shot, but most of his shots were poorer than befoire he went to GolfTec. I've only been golfing about 5 years but steadily improved to about 16 HCap. My game was getting a little loose at end of year and I knew I needed help hitting Driver. Plus, over winter I was developing shanks in the indoor range. So, I went for swing eval and GolfTec Pro convinced me I needed a bunch of lessons. What kind of "teacher" is concerned about selling lesson packages?

Anyway, I went to my lessons, had teacher tell me "you need to turn more, etc, etc. I'm now a 23 HCAP and probably will quit golfing which is really depressing for me. It has not been for lack of practice either. I have been to the range regularly trying to incorporate all the things I've been told. I'm finally at a point where I'm back to at least hitting my irons consistently, albeit shorter than before.

So, all the BS the "GolfTec Pro" fed me initially, I would hit ball further, we'd get my driver straightened out ,etc has not materialized. But, what recourse do I have other than to take it as a lesson learned. GolfTec does not seem to stand behind anything. The GolfTec Pros might as well be used car salesmen
[/quote]

I agree with the above. I also went to GofTec on the recommendation of a friend and couldn't have been more disapointed. I went into the program with an 11 handicap and came out with a 16. More than that the process actually ruined the game and made playing golf miserable for me. They advertise 95% success rate. I don't believe it. I can't believe there are only 5% of their clients that have as miseable an experience as I did. Incidentally, there is no half way. They collect your money up front and, if it doesn't work out half way through, you can quit, but they will keep your money for the untaken lessons.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I've had a very different experience than some of the posters above in that my lessons at GTec have actually helped transform my game. I believe with golf successful instruction is shaped by how comfortable you are with your instructor and his plans for your game based on your goals. I just happened to have a guy that I can really relate to and he has given me plenty of tools for me to work with to continue to build my game. I did not go into the process thinking they were going to have a magic fix and all of a sudden I would be hitting 300 yard drives right down the middle and crispy iron shots that backed up into perfect position every time. I went in with a few areas that I wanted to focus on, with my personal goals and it has proven to be very worthwhile. He tailored the lessons to achieve my goals as opposed to a cookie cutter type of plan that he uses for everyone. I still have quite a few lessons left and haven't been back in a few months because I haven't needed to. Chances are once the winter settles in I'll go back and work on the remaining issues that I haven't been able to overcome yet.

That being said, my experience proved to be worthwhile and I do think it really comes down to the instructor and how comfortable you are with them.

GolfTec...

If you have not already developed a swing, they might help you. I met a gentlemen who's 16 yr old daughter wanted to take-up golf. He couldn't teach her so he signed her up for GolfTec, he was satisfied...

My 16 yr old son on average was shooting high 70's to mid 80's. He felt after lessons just to straighten out a few issues, he could be shooting hopefully par and better. And yes I realize dropping one stroke gets tougher the closer you get to shooting par.

We went to GolfTec for a few lessons. OK, I am cynical by nature, so I was skeptical just after listening to the instructor during the $99.00 swing evaluation (which then they explained would be $149.00 if I didn't take a lesson package). They would not consider a single lesson(s). With my son's love of golf, I agreed to give him the three month lesson package, as a Xmas and a few other occasions gift.

It was bad from the start, they changed his instructor, claiming we would all meet to discuss the change, that never happened. Since it was winter, practice time wasn't usually available, they promised, he could make-up the practice sessions once everyone started back out on the driving ranges and courses.

I personally didn't care for the new 20 something instructor's way of talking to and approaching me. I'm just a Dad, help my son and I'll be fine, I couldn't stand his "buttering up to me" (I don't want to use swear words here).
One time after a "lesson" my son informed me it was only a practice since the instructor didn't want to go any further until my son figured out how to fix a swing problem. I let that go for a couple of weeks, then finally suggested that "since he's there for lessons, they should be helping him work thru the problem". The instructor then really started kissing up.

I had decided that GolfTecs "Proven path to success" was a path down a dead-end road for my son, so I stopped with one lesson and a number of practice times left.
He spent June & July playing a junior tournament, hitting 95 - 120's, and yes we were both very upset.

After that he went to a private instructor, we did not tell the instructor about his GolfTec experience . The instructor watched his swing, then slowly had my son revert back to his swing prior to GolfTec, then worked with him for one more lesson. Within two weeks he was back hitting high 80's. His rounds are now 70-80.
While a golf score can always be inconsistent, clearly GolfTec did not help my son.

I've spoken to the local GolfTec about this situation, the story I keep hearing is "Well his videos look good, everything is fine he just needs to keep working".
I'm sorry, but the video means nothing to us. He kept saying my son needed to finish his lesson, he only had one left and then he claimed we had used all the practice times,clearly they do not have a very good handle on the day to day. Originally he agreed to a partial refund, then he reneged.

I've left names and locations out of my story because I'm seeking legal recourse.

But folks need to know that GolfTec doesn't always deliver and (at least locally they won't face facts).

Good Luck and Hit Em Straight!

• 6 months later...

Golftec really is suited for specific people, but my suggestion is to get as much information as possible about the company in general and probably your local store. I happen to love my experience, but the criticisms aren't incorrect. Focus on technology may not be as good for the game, but not worrying about ball flight may actually help students learn moves. Too many people won't change because it may make them a little worse in the short term, but long term the benefits are huge. Here are a couple blog posts I found somewhat helpful:

http://christiangolfer.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/golftec-review/

http://hackgoespro.com/2011/02/04/golftec-review-couple-days-later/

http://nickmomrik.com/2011/04/03/golftec-lessons-worth-every-penny/

http://www.houstongolfnut.com/golftec-swing-evaluation/

Right, I'm definitely not saying that GolfTec is bad. I've only heard GREAT things about them being able to quickly identify and fix swing flaws. The original poster could probably benefit greatly from their lessons.

I am saying that they probably won't be equipped to help him with his PRE-SHOT ROUTINE and COURSE MANAGEMENT...which are the two things he mentioned in his original post. I was just encouraging him to figure those out on his own, or seek the advice of friends, etc.
[/quote]

The majority of Golftec professionals are PGA members, most are Class A, other are Apprentices... but they are making an effort to hire PGA members and apprentices to make the company better.

That being said, [u][b]all the professionals in the PGA are capable in helping you with pre-shot routine and course management, and any other facet of the game you need help with. [/b][/u]That is what the education and PGA is all about. All you have to do is ask, and they will find a way to help you with any part of your game.

And a final note on "teaching everyone the same swing"... 1) There are fundamentals in the golf swing that we (instructors) try to achieve that make the golf swing efficient and repeatable. 2) Anyone who truly believes that all every instructor in an academy or school teach the same way or teach the same swing is completely misguided. 3) You are probably the person who doesnt want to work that hard on their game because you are scared to change anything. Trust the professionals, I guarantee you will improve if you are willing to listen and work hard!
[/quote]

I would respectfully, yet whole heartedly, disagree with this statement.

[quote name='DoctorLoomis' timestamp='1335343542' post='4785736']

[/quote]

That being said, [u][b]all the professionals in the PGA are capable in helping you with pre-shot routine and course management, and any other facet of the game you need help with. [/b][/u]That is what the education and PGA is all about. All you have to do is ask, and they will find a way to help you with any part of your game.

[/quote]

I would respectfully, yet whole heartedly, disagree with this statement.
[/quote]

As Iteach mentioned ,your experience at Golftec is only as good as the instructor.There are some good instructors at Golftec ,no doubt and some poor ones.They do hire a number of pros right out of the programs ,so the probability that any individual is going to get an inexperienced instructor is not small.Their use of the sensors to measure angles is fine ,but as noted they could use better video and should use something like Flightscope or Trackman.There is a subtle ,sometimes not so subtle pressure to sign up for more lessons and packages.My guess and this is only a guess is that the best instructors move on to more pretigious enviroments.
Much better to use knowledgeable instructors such as Dr Loomis .If they have access to Flightscope or Trackman as he does ,so much the better .

I purchased a GolfTec package after recieving a free swing evaluation. I seen how there video & measurements could be benificial. When I started taking the lessons the instructor was only trying to get me into certain positions simular to the Pro's, the instructor had no idea how to comunicate step-by-step instructions when asked. We spent 3 of the lessons working on this position. I was at the range one day and decided to turn using my shoulders only and started to hit the ball flush from a shorter, stronger feeling position, I realized then that I was over rotating my hips, that caused me to take the club back too far & get out-of-position. This was a basic cause & affect issue and I was upset that I spent that much money to figure it out on my own. Went back for next lesson and we looked on video and he told me it was a great improvement and we would move to the next issue. When he told me what was wrong I asked him to explain to me what causes it? He had no reply other than I need to get to that position by working on this paticular drill. Needless to say I felt ripped off, I never went back for my remaining 2 lessons, when I was at the Golfsmith store he reminded me that I had 2 lessons left, I told him I was not interested! I learned that when I need help to go to a reputable PGA instructor, that uses video as well as ball flight! I strongly believe - basic fundementals - CAUSE & AFFECT!

I have taken some lessons at Golftec and have positives and negatives to say.

Positives
-Instant feedback. You can easily see your previous swing on their monitors and see the actual changes that are being made. I'm more of a fact / data based learner. I want to make sure that what I'm being taught is what is actually happening. Feel vs real.......
-Online Lesson video. All of your lessons are saved online so you can access your lessons and see your progress. I really enjoy the ability to look at my swing and the drills we worked on each lesson.

Negatives
-Different instructors = different swing ideas. I have taken lessons from multiple instructors at Golftec. Each one wants me to think about starting my downswing differently.
-More expensive then traditional lessons

• 6 months later...

I think golftec is awesome but it is only what you make of it. You have to go in and practice the things your are working on to see improvement. I see too many people there that just come once a week for lessons. If you really want to improve using the golftec system, you have to practice in between lessons. For me it's two 45 minute sessions between each weekly lesson.

910D3
SLDR 15*
Raylor 19*
AP2 712 4-P
Edel
Edel 51,55,59

• 11 months later...

I got a free swing analysis 2 years ago at Golftec. The instructor was very helpful in pointing out my flaws and suggested some changes. They offered me a package of 10 lessons over 3 months for $1,000. I passed. I worked on my swing and went from a 15 hc to 10. Today I got another free swing analysis purchased as part of a club membership . s . I asked about my grip. The instructor showed me a grip balance test, which I failed. When I asked what I did wrong, he said, "This is a swing analysis ; not a lesson." It went downhill from there. He refused to tell me what my flaws are, what the pros do differently , or even clearly state what aspects of my swing would he prioritize to work on. I left completely befuddled as to what he could or would teach me. To show his success, he showed me beginner s who had previously whiffed every swing. I was supposed to commit a grand plus 6 months on his opinion he would add 20 yds to every club and make me scratch ! Their prices are the same, i.e., expensive.Recommend you go to a reputable PGA professional . A lot of them use video, and they are much free-er with their time.

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

I cannot provide anything regarding golf tec. That said, find a good pro, golf tec or not and you will be glad you did. Don't expect miracles and you will need to practice the drills. Don't be like most. That being, go get a lesson, go to the range once, hit two balls and pound away and wonder why you didn't improve.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 3 weeks later...

Very pleased with Golftec. Winter 2012/13 I did the swing eval and 10 lessons, and I definitely gained a much greater understanding of my golf swing and how to get to a proper golf swing. I also did an outdoor lesson with my Golftec instructor for chipping and putting, and that also helped a lot. My instructor really worked to give me swing thoughts and at home training ideas to help groove a better swing.

Once you understand what to do, then video practice at home becomes much more effective (I used V1 Golf on Android and iPad which is great!).

I played my best golf ever this season, with fewer blowup rounds and shot my lowest rounds ever.

It however is not easy and requires practice. If you're not committed to practicing, trying to change your swing, and even suffering some bad golf while working your swing change, then don't bother because it's not inexpensive.

I plan to go back this winter for more improvement and staying golf fit for the winter.

• 10 months later...

Here's my Golftec experience thus far and why I decided to do a 15 lesson / 15 practice session package.

1.) I can tape myself with V1, but i can't analyze myself in terms of the technical elements of the swing, because i know very little about the swing from a teaching point of view. I cant help anyone with their swing, including my own swing. I'm a 1 handicap golfer who has tailored their equipment to their flaws. I pull the ball on line, and hit many greens in regulation doing so. This needs to be corrected.

2.) The pro teaching me is an old asst pro from my long time club. We have familiarity, the experience is going to be fun. Informative...we shall see after 6 months, im leaning towards yes.

3.) I like the facility, its also tucked inside of a Golfsmith I frequent all year long anyway.

4.) The constant video feedback is what i want. I cant get this service at any other golf emporium where i live. I can get lessons, i can get fitted, i can try a bunch of equipment, but i cant use video technology on a swing to swing basis.

5.) I know how good i am, i do not know how good i can be. This will help me answer this dilemna.

6.) I have taken 10 lessons in my entire life. Every one of those ten lessons has built my current day golf swing.

7.) Im on a mission to revamp my body so i can play better golf and feel and be healthier, you can always be thinner. If im going to lose weight, gain strength and flexibility, i probably would benefit to see both transformations taking place together. I will change my swing and change my body, with the help of a camera showing me the changes.

9.) If i don't do this, then i have done nothing, and nothing will be my result. This cant hurt my game, but i understand where i could hurt someone elses.

10.) My swing is garbage. Welcome to reality.

11.) I went through this exact process with Bowling. Complete revamp of my technique, huge benefits.