2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best golf courses in Missouri

adamjstl

your thoughts....
I'm really excited for the upcoming season! Based on last years' schedule, Missouri should have many tournaments at some of the top courses in the state, including several private facilities. For those of you who've played alot of these courses, what are you top 5 or 10?

Note: My definition of "best" means a combination of conditioning, scenery, and playability. I've found that alot of evaluators based most of their criteria on how challenging but fair the course is... I'm a 2 handicap, and there is much more to the quality of the course than difficulty lmao!!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my two favorites so far are rivercut and annbriar. the norman course as mentioned has potential, but needs a while to shape up as they did a lot of dirt moving.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Stone Canyon, thought of it a minute ago, "potential" is a good word for it by the way. Tiffany Greens north of KC is also nice and challenging I think, can be some of the toughest par 3's around if the wind is blowing hard and it almost always seems to be. Have not played the National and Deuce yet but have heard lots of great comments about those as well.

KH

[quote name='bhendr5' timestamp='1324302895' post='3959661']
Rivercut in Springfield is outstanding.

[url="http://www.rivercut.com/"]http://www.rivercut.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Rivercut- outstanding??? Head to Branson and play Payne Stewart Club, Branson Creek, and Ledgestone. You'll be BLOWN away my friend!!

My top 5 in Missouri:

1. Branson Creek
2. Boone Valley
3. Bellerive
4. Porta Cima
5. Old Warson

Other courses of note that I like: Lewis and Clark at St. Alban's, Loch Lloyd, Osage National, Old Kinderhook, Rivercut, The National. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few good ones that I've played. Not a big fan of Payne Stewart or of Dalhousie, although I haven't played Dalhousie in a couple of years.

I've played at Rivercut many times, even though the conditions aren't pristine but it's always a fun course to play on. Staff are always excellent to deal with.

My home course, Silo Ridge CC is usually in very good condition even during last summer's brutal heat. They are going to host a MGA tournament next August and I can't wait to play in it.

I've always enjoyed playing on following courses that few posters mentioned in no particular but in geographical order from SW corner of Missouri as best as I can remember;

Branson Creek
Payne Stewart Golf Club
Hickory Hills CC
Twin Oaks CC
Highland Springs CC
Silo Ridge CC(I'm biased but try to play on it, excellent value)
Old Kinderhook GC
The Club at Porto Cima
Kansas City CC
Blue Hills CC
Jefferson City CC
St Joseph CC
Bellerive CC
The Country of St Albans-Lewis & Clark(not Tavern Creek)
St Louis CC
Old Warson CC
Winghaven

There are few other good courses but I haven't played on them yet or forgetting about them. Dalhousie is a good course but I never play well on it. Few courses might be hard to get on but others can be played.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

Got to play Meadowbrook CC here in STL and it was truthfully amazing...loved every aspect of it..which sucks!! Cuz I can't play it often..!!

Fox Run CC
Bellerive CC
Tamarack(Illinois) Old P.Dye design..fun course.
Forest Hills CC
Forest Park Golf Courses-City of St. Louis
Greenbriar CC
Acorns GC(Illinois)
Aberdeen Golf Club-The Scottish Experience
Wolf Hollow Golf Club
Belk Park Golf Course(Illinois)
Arlington Greens(Illinois)

Listed the one's in Illinois that we play alot and are no more than 40 minutes from Mid St Louis County.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1324578654' post='3976271']
Got to play Meadowbrook CC here in STL and it was truthfully amazing...loved every aspect of it..which sucks!! Cuz I can't play it often..!!

Fox Run CC
Bellerive CC
Tamarack(Illinois) Old P.Dye design..fun course.
Forest Hills CC
Forest Park Golf Courses-City of St. Louis
Greenbriar CC
Acorns GC(Illinois)
Aberdeen Golf Club-The Scottish Experience
Wolf Hollow Golf Club
Belk Park Golf Course(Illinois)
Arlington Greens(Illinois)

Listed the one's in Illinois that we play alot and are no more than 40 minutes from Mid St Louis County.
[/quote]

I've heard good things about Meadowbrook but I haven't played on it yet. I was supposed to last year but last minute plans ruined it.

I enjoyed playing on Fox Run, Annabriar and Stonewolf. Gateway National is ok. Haven't played other Illinois courses yet on STL side that you mentioned.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

Overall ranking:
1. Dalhousie
2. Tavern Creek (St. Albans)
3. Old Warson
4. Porto Cima
5. Bellerive

Publics:
1. Old Kinderhook
2. Payne Stewart Golf Club
3. Branson Creek
4. Ledgestone
5. Osage National

I haven't played Fox Run CC in STL. If anyone has a hookup to play, please let me know....I've heard great things.

Dalhousie is hands down my favorite course in Missouri. I played in the Hieronymus Cup a couple months back and it was PERFECT. It seemed like the kind of course everyone could enjoy. The club house was amazing, the greens were extremely fast, the fairways were immaculate. Missouri Am is being held there 2012, should be fun!
Honestly though, I haven't played to many courses in the KC area so I don't know that side of the state very well.

Others on the St Louis side.

Meadowbrook
St Albans
Norwood Hills
Wing Haven

I know this is blasphemy in the St Louis area but I cannot stand Bellerive. I honestly think it is the most overrated course in St Louis. If you don't average 300 off the tee you are left with long irons and hybrids into most of the par fours and the greens are way to ungulating to be able to score well. Heck, they lost have their greens this summer.

[quote name='dre72' timestamp='1324593995' post='3977315']
Dalhousie is hands down my favorite course in Missouri. I played in the Hieronymus Cup a couple months back and it was PERFECT. It seemed like the kind of course everyone could enjoy. The club house was amazing, the greens were extremely fast, the fairways were immaculate. Missouri Am is being held there 2012, should be fun!
Honestly though, I haven't played to many courses in the KC area so I don't know that side of the state very well.

Others on the St Louis side.

Meadowbrook
St Albans
Norwood Hills
Wing Haven

I know this is blasphemy in the St Louis area but I cannot stand Bellerive. I honestly think it is the most overrated course in St Louis. If you don't average 300 off the tee you are left with long irons and hybrids into most of the par fours and the greens are way to ungulating to be able to score well. Heck, they lost have their greens this summer.
[/quote]

I forgot about Norwood Hills, it's a fun course to play on and their club pro is a nice guy. Hieronymus Cup is fun to play in. I was invited this year for west side but I couldn't make it. It was a major bummer as I've played on it few times in the past.

So Dalhousie is the site of MO Am, will have to try to make it there even though I'm too old for youngsters. Silo Ridge will be the site of 2012 Missouri 4-Ball.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

[quote name='cbehan' timestamp='1324590379' post='3977095']
Overall ranking:
1. Dalhousie
3. Old Warson
4. Porto Cima
5. Bellerive

Publics:
1. Old Kinderhook
3. Branson Creek
4. Ledgestone
5. Osage National

I haven't played Fox Run CC in STL. If anyone has a hookup to play, please let me know....I've heard great things.
[/quote]

I appreciate your input... Curious how you ranked Old Kinderhook over Payne Stewart??

[quote name='mcw4hf' timestamp='1324573327' post='3975859']
My top 5 in Missouri:

1. Branson Creek
2. Boone Valley
3. Bellerive
4. Porta Cima
5. Old Warson

Other courses of note that I like: Lewis and Clark at St. Alban's, Loch Lloyd, Osage National, Old Kinderhook, Rivercut, The National. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few good ones that I've played. Not a big fan of Payne Stewart or of Dalhousie, although I haven't played Dalhousie in a couple of years.
[/quote]

I am dyingto hear what about Branson Creek you liked so much to rank it #1... I played it in early June and it fell WELL short of my expectations... I just didn't understand the hype...

Pros... awesome greens.... a really nice stretch of holes on the back nine (13-15)... good practice area.... very playable for all golfers

Cons... the 6th and 8th fairways had big areas of unmown grass, and 8 had weeds growing in the fairway (literally a 50 yard patch)... none of the 5 par-3s standout, which is completely unacceptable for a course built on hilly terrain with water hazards available.... Number 5 was the only "standout" hole on the entire front 9... oddly built greens, where they were mostly flat and dull, or maybe one ridge on some holes

We played Payne Stewart the day before, and it was a much better course.... better fairways, much more scenic, much more memorable

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1324673813' post='3980695']

I am dyingto hear what about Branson Creek you liked so much to rank it #1... I played it in early June and it fell WELL short of my expectations... I just didn't understand the hype...

Pros... awesome greens.... a really nice stretch of holes on the back nine (13-15)... good practice area.... very playable for all golfers

Cons... the 6th and 8th fairways had big areas of unmown grass, and 8 had weeds growing in the fairway (literally a 50 yard patch)... none of the 5 par-3s standout, which is completely unacceptable for a course built on hilly terrain with water hazards available.... Number 5 was the only "standout" hole on the entire front 9... oddly built greens, where they were mostly flat and dull, or maybe one ridge on some holes

We played Payne Stewart the day before, and it was a much better course.... better fairways, much more scenic, much more memorable
[/quote]

I know you and I have had the BC vs. PS argument in another thread, but here is what I like about Branson Creek. Great greens, wide landing areas that you can see off the tee(which means its good for all abilities), picturesque views, great practice facility for the area compared to the other courses. The thing that I personally think seperates BC from PS is that playing BC, you are never going to play another course like it because of what you see when you play there. If you were to show anybody a picture from #1 Tee box at BC, they are immediately going to know what golf course that is from. I don't think there is anything like that at PS. It's a good golf course, but it has nothing unique about it that is going to stick in your mind.

On another note, I think Rivercut is a great course, especially for the price. I don't think you can get a better bang for your buck than Rivercut.

[quote name='mcw4hf' timestamp='1324739660' post='3983253']

I know you and I have had the BC vs. PS argument in another thread, but here is what I like about Branson Creek. Great greens, wide landing areas that you can see off the tee(which means its good for all abilities), picturesque views, great practice facility for the area compared to the other courses. The thing that I personally think seperates BC from PS is that playing BC, you are never going to play another course like it because of what you see when you play there. If you were to show anybody a picture from #1 Tee box at BC, they are immediately going to know what golf course that is from. I don't think there is anything like that at PS. It's a good golf course, but it has nothing unique about it that is going to stick in your mind.

On another note, I think Rivercut is a great course, especially for the price. I don't think you can get a better bang for your buck than Rivercut.
[/quote]

Haha! I knew your name looked familiar..... i respect your opinions, and appreciate the feedback. I do agree that BC has a unique look, and the 1st tee is very memorable. One thing, though, that I personally love on a course are "framed holes" where you see the hole your on and nothing else, usually defined by woods, tall grass, etc.... with BC, there are an endless supply of WIIIIIIDDDDEEEE open vistas, which others like much more than I do lol.... I do stick with the idea that BC is acclaimed so highly in great part due to the Fazio name. BC is not the first top 100 course I've played and immediately thought the name of the designer had more to do with the ranking than the course itself.

And RIvercut is a nice course. Pretty good back 9, and a good value.

[quote name='mcw4hf' timestamp='1324739660' post='3983253']

[/quote]

More questions my friend... how have you received access to seemingly all the big name courses in Missouri? and tell me about Boone Valley, Bellerive, Porta Cima, and Old Warson.... Also, why don't you care for Dalhousie?

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1324794317' post='3985329']

More questions my friend... how have you received access to seemingly all the big name courses in Missouri? and tell me about Boone Valley, Bellerive, Porta Cima, and Old Warson.... Also, why don't you care for Dalhousie?
[/quote]

Some of these courses I haven't played in 2 or 3 years, so my memory is a little hazy at times. Old Warson and Bellerive are somewhat similar, old country club style of back and forth holes running adjacent to each other with 100 year old trees that seemingly always get in the way. You can never relax on them or you'll end up with a double in no time. They force you to hit all the shots in your bag, you can't just bomb it off the tee and hope it works out, you actually have to think and play golf. One of my favorite holes is one the back 9 at Old Warson, a short downhill par 4. From the tee you can see the St. Louis skyline framed in behind the green. Very cool.

Boone Valley is just a cool experience. The day we played it was about 105 and with the bent grass fairways it was cart path only since they have to keep it so wet to survive. We decided to play the back tees on the scorecard at about 7200, but we realized on 15 or so we were playing a set of tees not on the scorecard at about 7600. 7600+no roll+CPO means a long day. But the golf course was fantastic, out in the middle of nowhere it seems.

Porta Cima is one that I play more often so I can give you some more details on it. It's very much a "framed" golf course for the most part so you would probably enjoy it. The front nine kind of cuts around a wooded area mostly and the back nine takes a tour on the Lake of the Ozarks. #2 is a tough long par 4 lined with trees and a couple of fairway bunkers. I have my problems with #5 too, a narrow par 4 that is tight enough that you it makes you want to hit a long iron off the tee, but if you don't hit it well you could end up with 200 yards into a green with a pond short. The course really shines on the back when you get the lake involved. #13 is a shorter Par 5 that has the Lake run down the entire left side, and the green kind of hangs over it so if you want to go for it in 2 you have to carry it over water. #15 is the hole their signature hole, another par 5 with the green that juts out with the lake on all sides. #18 is a tough, long closing hole with a creek that winds up the right side and bunkers on the left. Then you are left with a long iron into an uphill approach on a multi-tiered green. Cima also has a great practice facility.

That's my half-hearted review of some of the courses. Sorry they are sort of vague, for the most part I've only played each of these courses a couple of times and they haven't been that recent. We typically take a trip in the summer and play a couple of the top courses, but we replaced the in-state trip this year and went to Kohler instead. That was a trip I highly recommend to all, it was a blast.

[quote name='mcw4hf' timestamp='1324916148' post='3988767']

Some of these courses I haven't played in 2 or 3 years, so my memory is a little hazy at times. Old Warson and Bellerive are somewhat similar, old country club style of back and forth holes running adjacent to each other with 100 year old trees that seemingly always get in the way. You can never relax on them or you'll end up with a double in no time. They force you to hit all the shots in your bag, you can't just bomb it off the tee and hope it works out, you actually have to think and play golf. One of my favorite holes is one the back 9 at Old Warson, a short downhill par 4. From the tee you can see the St. Louis skyline framed in behind the green. Very cool.

Boone Valley is just a cool experience. The day we played it was about 105 and with the bent grass fairways it was cart path only since they have to keep it so wet to survive. We decided to play the back tees on the scorecard at about 7200, but we realized on 15 or so we were playing a set of tees not on the scorecard at about 7600. 7600+no roll+CPO means a long day. But the golf course was fantastic, out in the middle of nowhere it seems.

Porta Cima is one that I play more often so I can give you some more details on it. It's very much a "framed" golf course for the most part so you would probably enjoy it. The front nine kind of cuts around a wooded area mostly and the back nine takes a tour on the Lake of the Ozarks. #2 is a tough long par 4 lined with trees and a couple of fairway bunkers. I have my problems with #5 too, a narrow par 4 that is tight enough that you it makes you want to hit a long iron off the tee, but if you don't hit it well you could end up with 200 yards into a green with a pond short. The course really shines on the back when you get the lake involved. #13 is a shorter Par 5 that has the Lake run down the entire left side, and the green kind of hangs over it so if you want to go for it in 2 you have to carry it over water. #15 is the hole their signature hole, another par 5 with the green that juts out with the lake on all sides. #18 is a tough, long closing hole with a creek that winds up the right side and bunkers on the left. Then you are left with a long iron into an uphill approach on a multi-tiered green. Cima also has a great practice facility.

That's my half-hearted review of some of the courses. Sorry they are sort of vague, for the most part I've only played each of these courses a couple of times and they haven't been that recent. We typically take a trip in the summer and play a couple of the top courses, but we replaced the in-state trip this year and went to Kohler instead. That was a trip I highly recommend to all, it was a blast.
[/quote]

Thanks for all the info. Funny to hear Boone Valley has bent grass fairways. I remember when Gateway opened they kept their fairways SOAKED all the time to keep them so lush lol. Cool that you mentioned Kohler, we are going there in August.

Maybe you didn't see in my earlier post, but 1) How do you have access to all these private courses and 2) Why aren't you a fan of Dalhousie?

Thanks

Branson:
Payne Stewart
Branson Creek,
I have heard Ledgestone is great as well but have not played it.

Lake of the Ozarks:
Porto Cima
Kinderhook
Osage National

Kansas City

Loch Lloyd
Any of the old school CC's

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1324672795' post='3980659']
Overall ranking:
1. Dalhousie
3. Old Warson
4. Porto Cima
5. Bellerive

Publics:
1. Old Kinderhook
3. Branson Creek
4. Ledgestone
5. Osage National

[/quote]

I appreciate your input... Curious how you ranked Old Kinderhook over Payne Stewart??
[/quote]

I've played Payne Stewart twice and Kinderhoook probably 20 times.

Here's what I consider the main differences:

1. Kinderhook is consistently among the best maintained public courses in the midwest.
2. Kinderhook does a great job of offering different hole layouts and challenge every club in your bag....despite being pretty short.
3. PS seems like it's trying too hard sometimes...some holes are great, others seem almost like they're taken straight from a minigolf course.
4. The greens @ PS haven't been nearly as consistent from hole to hole or round to round (again in comparison to OK, not to other lesser courses).
5. The 18th on PS is a mess...it's really a disappointing way to finish. If that hole had been the 4th hole and you'd finished on something like 14, then I might have a slightly different impression.
6. Where OK seems like they did a great job making a course where the land allowed, PS seems somewhat forced at times.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED PS (and Ledgestone for that matter), but I just don't think it's as good of an overall experience as Kinderhook. Maybe it's just my style....I certainly wouldn't knock someone for disagreeing.

[quote name='cbehan' timestamp='1325182452' post='4001335']
Overall ranking:
1. Dalhousie
3. Old Warson
4. Porto Cima
5. Bellerive

Publics:
1. Old Kinderhook
3. Branson Creek
4. Ledgestone
5. Osage National

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. Kinderhook is consistently among the best maintained public courses in the midwest.
2. Kinderhook does a great job of offering different hole layouts and challenge every club in your bag....despite being pretty short.
3. PS seems like it's trying too hard sometimes...some holes are great, others seem almost like they're taken straight from a minigolf course.
4. The greens @ PS haven't been nearly as consistent from hole to hole or round to round (again in comparison to OK, not to other lesser courses).
5. The 18th on PS is a mess...it's really a disappointing way to finish. If that hole had been the 4th hole and you'd finished on something like 14, then I might have a slightly different impression.
6. Where OK seems like they did a great job making a course where the land allowed, PS seems somewhat forced at times.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED PS (and Ledgestone for that matter), but I just don't think it's as good of an overall experience as Kinderhook. Maybe it's just my style....I certainly wouldn't knock someone for disagreeing.
[/quote]

You won't hear any arguments about how I feel about Old Kinderhook, It's one of my top 5-10 courses in state of Missouri. It's always fun to play on. Even though I only live about 50-55 miles away from it but I wish I could play it more often. I would play there more often only if my home course(Silo Ridge G&CC) wasn't so much fun to play on. :-)

Although I enjoy playing on Payne Stewart GC but when it's tricked up, it isn't much fun to play though. The nearby courses that I always enjoyed playing on are The Club at Porto Cima, Hickory Hills(where Payne Stewart learned his game) and Twin Oaks.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1325207244' post='4003013']
Overall ranking:
1. Dalhousie
3. Old Warson
4. Porto Cima
5. Bellerive

Publics:
1. Old Kinderhook
3. Branson Creek
4. Ledgestone
5. Osage National

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You won't hear any arguments about how I feel about Old Kinderhook, It's one of my top 5-10 courses in state of Missouri. It's always fun to play on. Even though I only live about 50-55 miles away from it but I wish I could play it more often. I would play there more often only if my home course(Silo Ridge G&CC) wasn't so much fun to play on. :-)

Although I enjoy playing on Payne Stewart GC but when it's tricked up, it isn't much fun to play though. The nearby courses that I always enjoyed playing on are The Club at Porto Cima, Hickory Hills(where Payne Stewart learned his game) and Twin Oaks.
[/quote]

How much did you pay at Porta Cima?

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1325217776' post='4003833']
[quote name='br61' timestamp='1325207244' post='4003013']
Overall ranking:
1. Dalhousie
3. Old Warson
4. Porto Cima
5. Bellerive

Publics:
1. Old Kinderhook
3. Branson Creek
4. Ledgestone
5. Osage National

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How much did you pay at Porta Cima?
[/quote]

Well, I tagged along with my club pro few times or a member got us on(under $100) or in tournaments there. I play there 2-3 times a year on the average but just once this year, at my club pro's invitation to be his partner in a PGA Club Professional tournament couple months ago. I'm not a pro but an amateur.

Missouri Golf Association usually holds occasional tournaments there and it fills up rather quickly.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

Reading one of your earlier posts, you mentioned that you are 2 handicap, it's good enough to get you on few Missouri Amateur tournaments where they play on some of the best courses of the state.

The entry fees are very reasonable if you get a chance to play on some of Missouri's nicest courses.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1325296306' post='4007583']
Reading one of your earlier posts, you mentioned that you are 2 handicap, it's good enough to get you on few Missouri Amateur tournaments where they play on some of the best courses of the state.

The entry fees are very reasonable if you get a chance to play on some of Missouri's nicest courses.
[/quote]

I'm an Illinois resident.... would I still be able to play?