Can anyone PROVE the RBZ is longer?

M-Stamp

[quote name='sustain' timestamp='1329408615' post='4299691']
If a slow swinger is seeing extra yards it has nothing to do with the extra COR and everything to do with a long and light shaft and a very poor fit for their previous 3 wood. The harder you hit it the more you'll benefit from the extra COR.

All things being equal a Dustin Johnson type swinger will see extra yards (17 on avg) compared to any previous model of TaylorMade fairway woods. Slow swingers won't see much of anything in extra yards if everything is equal.

Sorry, these are just the facts. :dntknw:
[/quote]

Isn't that what I just said? ....lol...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/592999-what-difference-does-01-make-in-cor/

COR + easier to hit 3W = distance.

If they gained 47yds, dispersion goes down, or at least the ball is useable/playable versus their old game then the RBZ, no matter the configuration they used at the time, is a better "fit" than their old 3W.

If someone hands me an old Hawkeye 3W, I am going to hit it like crap from the fairway -- chunking some, thinning some, etc. If I am able to play every ball I strike with the RBZ, and it's longer distance/straighter and gives me more confidence, would you call that:

A) A push?

B) A better fit?

C) A worse fit?

Lower COG apparently in the RBZ to go along with the higher COR.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='golfnut-2X' timestamp='1329404007' post='4299053']
@shiva - now were talking. love to see the results of your test with lower hcps.

@dfinch - thanks for the comparison on trackman. so to conifrm rbz 3wood no difference for you on trackman?.
[/quote]

Correct. I didn't expect magic, but I did expect a slight increase in ball speed.

40 degree weather. 146 mph for both. Same launch. I did not try different shafts. Both stock S.

The guys running the system said they were seeing ball speed and distance gains for most people.

I'm about a 4 cap (didn't keep an official cap last year. Ended the 2010 season at 3.8).

I'll give it another try when the tour 3W comes out, but for now the I20 is going in the bag.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

i have bought a lot of taylormade equipment in the past but on the same page as ram01002. they all have roadmaps since they are product vendors. i am not sure of the specific marketing term but taylormade clearly cycles through their product line very quickly. How many times have we bought the hyped up taylormade club and no more than 6 months later its obsolute and you feel like you waisted your money because now they have the same version but say its longer or more adjustements, etc.

in the market for the longest 3 wood off the fairway versus tee with driver swing speed averages ~ 105 so i am very interested in the posters actual test comparisons.

once i start my testing i will also post my results.

i have tested the g20 3wood a few times this winter and it was relatively long / straight (more of a function of getting the proper shaft) but have not compared it to others yet. still working on some changes but once we get into march i plan to pull the trigger.

ignoring brand love it seems like the longest 3wood for my swing speed would be a titanium face/head, max .830 cor, probably 16* not 15*, with your own shaft fitted - pured - installed that is not the lightest but also not the heaviest with maybe a 25g grip. the problem is lacking the abiliity to test these heads with different shafts in the 3wood. if anyone knows of a place in the states that can test differenet 3wood shaft combos with these type heads please let me know .

Every player is different. Good swing=better distance.

Good, fitted equipment helps too.

**WITB**

PING LST G430 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana PD 60 TX w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black, +1.0*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 - Graphite Design Tour AD 95 Utility w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* - Mitsubishi Diamana TB 70S w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

PING i210 4-PW, UW - Project X LZ 6.0, +3/4 w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

Vokey SM9 Raw 54*/60* - Project X LZ 6.0, +3/4 w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

Bettinardi DASS Hive Custom SS3 - 37", 68* w/1.5* Loft. Garsen Ultimate

TaylorMade marketing department are geniuses, What is everyone talking about? Rocketballz... What does everyone want to hit? Rocketballz... Maybe it might not be longer for most of us on here but you average golfer who is playing an '07 burner or a nike SQ im sure it will be a lot further for them. But all you need to do is get players to at least hit the club and I have never seen so much intrest in a golf club like this. So weather or not its actually goes 17 yards further or not might not matter because this might be the best selling club of all time!

[quote name='tnord' timestamp='1328891700' post='4252703']
this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

1) people WANT the RBZ to be longer so they get free stuff.
2) people have been told time and time again that the ballmonster is better, so when they swing it they have more confidence
3) average golfer not really hitting it flush very often and the RBZ being huge and more foregiving = distance gained
4) the whole longer/lighter thing

i gave the RBZ an honest chance last weekend when i had plenty of time to mess around and get a few good whacks in. i had my current 3w there that i've been playing for 4yrs. i put a few good swings on it and hit it 287max on GG sim. wasn't a singular event either, i think 3 of my 6 swings were 280+.

i picked up the RBZ and made 6 more swings. never cracked 280. now.....the RBZ 3w wasn't fitted for me at all, and they didn't have an X flex shaft to try.....but then again my current 3w had the original re-ax TM stiff shaft from 2008 as well (i had it reshafted with the voodoo later that day in case you look at my sig and call me a liar). i will accept that maybe the RBZ oem shaft was a worse fit for me than the old 2008 OEM 3w shaft resulting in some of the distance loss.......but some of the claims truly are silly.
[/quote]

Wow 287 with your 3 wood you must be on the PGA tour..would we recognize.your.name?

Really good post - reflects the points I have been making with the guys in my local golfing group. As an aside, I am one of the Wishon users and my 17* 949 with a 42.5" shaft gave me better ball speeds than the RBZ 15*. Of course, longer & lighter have never been good for me so I think quality of contact contributes somewhat to those ball speed numbers.

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1329406222' post='4299387']
[quote name='M-Stamp' timestamp='1329395306' post='4298181']
If the RBZ has ONLY .810 COR, there is just no way the RBZ can hit 15 yeards longer than ANY major brand comptitors if the weight and length are the same!!! [/quote]

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but their claim, in the ad, pretty big letters in the stores too, so not really "fine print", is assuming a minimum 150mph ball speed. 17yd gain for "better players".

Fact is they have video after video of people hitting them on a range, with pro tracer, and they were gaining 10-47yds with what looked like your average, horrible fairway wood swing. Thinning it. Chunking it. Swinging too hard. Sawed off finishes. Etc, Etc.

Some of the folks, like Win McMurry, obviously are not swinging anywhere near 100mph, and she gained a truck load of yards, and ball flight was superior.

As I already said, a [u][i][b]majority[/b][/i][/u] of golfers are not using .809+ COR fairway woods. Some very, very small percentage may be using Wishon .830's or TEE .830's, but there are supposedly 50,000,000+ golfers worldwide. Do you think that TEE or Wishon has more than a 10% market share between them? I don't. Let's say Wishon and TEE combine for 20% of all fairway woods for all 50,000,000 golfers. That leaves 40,000,000+ using something WAY less than .810 COR.

How many of the 40,000,000 produce 150mph ball speed, even with a driver? They are banking on the general person looking to buy the RBZ is NOT a TEE or Wishon user.

So TMAG's claim is plausible, given their defined parameters. Just because User A saw no gains, or lost yardage does not negate real data. The plural of anecdote, is [u][i][b]not[/b][/i][/u] data. The only true way to test this is take impartial testers, enough to make a statistically valid sample size, have them hit all the clubs on monitors. Baseline the data, and compare it. Short of that, it makes for a cool story on the course, on the range, or on an internet forum.
[/quote]

[quote name='kafka01' timestamp='1328948794' post='4259053']
Obviously its working great for TM with all the distance hype if you look at their sales numbers. But what i dont get - why dont they expand this distance hype into their putter business.[b] I´m sure there are lots of people out there who need 17 more feet with their putters - thus compromising accuracy, but thats not really the key. The real importance is to never leave it short again!
[/b]
So maybe they should come up with something like the "superwhip" - a putter with a garden hose (obv. from modern nano tube fusion technology!) as shaft or some split quad chambers in the head that make the ball literally explode from the face. I´m sure if they get their marketing right, those things would sell like crazy (hcps would probably skyrocket, but at least its long!).
[/quote]

They say you miss 80% of the putts you leave short.... this could really help people make more putts... You should ask for a royalty from the next company that comes out with this technology. I know I leave putts short for eagle all the time.

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1328866907' post='4250923']
No it is not. Side by side with your favorite three wood/driver with the same launch and everything (close too) the ball is going to same distance. It is all marketing hype.
[/quote]

Correct.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis

• 2 months later...

[quote name='stimpmeterp' timestamp='1329950072' post='4353051']
No it is not. Side by side with your favorite three wood/driver with the same launch and everything (close too) the ball is going to same distance. It is all marketing hype.
[/quote]

Correct.
[/quote]

They are doing this through the slot on the bottom.

The RBZ COR is .813
The TEE is .830

I don't know what the Adams XTD is, but it is probably right around those two.

The slot in the bottom allows the bottom of the club to flex and lets the head produce better launch conditions. TM is probably sandbagging and will bring out an RBZ two with a .830 COR.

Disclosure: I do not own an RBZ of any loft.

[quote name='wesr' timestamp='1335321914' post='4784654']
[quote name='stimpmeterp' timestamp='1329950072' post='4353051']
[/quote]

Correct.
[/quote]

They are doing this through the slot on the bottom.

The RBZ COR is .813
The TEE is .830

I don't know what the Adams XTD is, but it is probably right around those two.

The slot in the bottom allows the bottom of the club to flex and lets the head produce better launch conditions. [b]TM is probably sandbagging and will bring out an RBZ two with a .830 COR[/b].

Disclosure: I do not own an RBZ of any loft.
[/quote]

Well they did just buy Adams Golf...

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[/quote]

isn't that misleading marketing? Shouldn't that be illegal? But of course, they only say that the RBZ is 15 yards longer than the previous generation [i]TM[/i] 3-wood..I highly doubt they fit their staff player with every other 3-wood in the marketplace and the result was that the RBZ is 15 yards longer?

[/quote]

No, it is not hype. I have personally tested the club on the launch monitor and on the course. There is absolutely no question it is significantly longer than most other 3-woods. It's not even close! There's a reason why a large percentage of tour pros that are not paid by Taylormade have switched to the RBZ 'Tour' 3-wood. For example, I can assure you Louis Oosthuizen (a Ping staff guy) was not getting paid to use the RBZ fairway he was blasting around Augusta a few weeks ago!

[quote name='ssfranny' timestamp='1329493892' post='4308039']
[quote name='tnord' timestamp='1328891700' post='4252703']
this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

1) people WANT the RBZ to be longer so they get free stuff.
2) people have been told time and time again that the ballmonster is better, so when they swing it they have more confidence
3) average golfer not really hitting it flush very often and the RBZ being huge and more foregiving = distance gained
4) the whole longer/lighter thing

i gave the RBZ an honest chance last weekend when i had plenty of time to mess around and get a few good whacks in. i had my current 3w there that i've been playing for 4yrs. i put a few good swings on it and hit it 287max on GG sim. wasn't a singular event either, i think 3 of my 6 swings were 280+.

i picked up the RBZ and made 6 more swings. never cracked 280. now.....the RBZ 3w wasn't fitted for me at all, and they didn't have an X flex shaft to try.....but then again my current 3w had the original re-ax TM stiff shaft from 2008 as well (i had it reshafted with the voodoo later that day in case you look at my sig and call me a liar). i will accept that maybe the RBZ oem shaft was a worse fit for me than the old 2008 OEM 3w shaft resulting in some of the distance loss.......but some of the claims truly are silly.
[/quote]

Wow 287 with your 3 wood you must be on the PGA tour..would we recognize.your.name?
[/quote]

I am also a strong player (driver club head speed of 115) and I can tell you that with high club head speed you're not going to see anything close to optimized performance with the RBZ if it has a basic 'stiff' shaft in it. You're going to get way too much spin, which will dramatically decrease distance. I recently got a RBZ 'Tour' 3-Wood with an x-stiff Matrix RUL 70 (the TP shaft) and I can tell you it's very long! Definitely longer than my Titleist 910Fd.