2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

spring golf in Denver?

whysguy

I think I will be in Denver 1st week of April.

Are the courses open?

How had the winter been there? (really mild here in MN)

DO I head to south side for best options, or which courses should I look at?

I've read a few of the previous posts, but havent gotten a feel for where to play at this time of year there.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll chime in. Courses here are still largely dead, dry, and crappy. We are just getting consecutive days of ≈70º weather, so some courses are starting to water (mainly private). I play most of my golf up north so can't comment too much on conditions down south. Hopefully by April things will be getting close to ready. Sorry to see the lack of replies here, seems we are more equipment nuts than anything. Where did you decide playing? I like Colorado National, for a little north of town and Inverness towards the south side of town. I can't wait to get out, but I'm not going to waste my money until the grass is green.

I'll add my 2 cents even though I am not from Denver. I live 6 hours south in Santa Fe, NM but I have spent a fair amount of time in Denver and played some golf there too. Also, NM can have similar winters even though we are a little south. So, I would probably post again as you get closer asking about conditions. Some of the more expensive courses with bigger budgets may be in better shape. However they still might not be worth the extra money as they are all marginal. I like Arrowhead because of the cool huge rock outcroppings but some people think it is kind of tricked up. Tricked up is Fossil Trace in Golden but some people think it is great. I like Interlocken on the way to Boulder, http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/DenverInterlocken/Golf.aspx, which is a little expensive but may have some good spring deals on golfnow.com or ezlinks.com. I also like Eagle Trace which is a pretty good muni, www.[b]eagletrace[/b]golfclub.com/.[i] If you are in South Denver a great track south of Castle Rock is Bear Dance, http://www.beardancegolf.com/, although it might not be too good in April as it is in the foothills. Good luck and enjoy! :drinks:[/i]

Courses to play on the north end of town are Riverdale Dunes, Colorado National, Heritage Todd Creek, Green Valley Ranch, Omni Interlocken and maybe Legacy Ridge or Commongroud. Commongroud is the supporting course for the US Am this year and the USGA is in love with it, although its nothing too spectacular if you ask me.

Down south, people like the Ridge at castle pines, Bear Dance and maybe Red Hawk Ridge. Bear Dance is a mountain course, a lot of hitting off the side of a mountain type stuff, if you're into that. The Ridge is pretty expensive for what it is. Lots of people like Fossil Trace in Golden. I think the course is a total overpriced piece of crap, but they charge like 65 bucks and the tee sheet is full everyday, so clearly some people like it. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

[quote name='ghengis' timestamp='1331593882' post='4493517']
Courses to play on the north end of town are Riverdale Dunes, Colorado National, Heritage Todd Creek, Green Valley Ranch, Omni Interlocken and maybe Legacy Ridge or Commongroud. Commongroud is the supporting course for the US Am this year and the USGA is in love with it, although its nothing too spectacular if you ask me.

Down south, people like the Ridge at castle pines, Bear Dance and maybe Red Hawk Ridge. Bear Dance is a mountain course, a lot of hitting off the side of a mountain type stuff, if you're into that. The Ridge is pretty expensive for what it is. Lots of people like Fossil Trace in Golden. I think the course is a total overpriced piece of crap, but they charge like 65 bucks and the tee sheet is full everyday, so clearly some people like it. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
[/quote]

Pointed out lots of solid options. I'll agree with you on Commonground and Fossil Trace, I'd play them again, but wouldn't want to pay as much, Fossil Trace is usually an agonizingly slow round, because the tee sheet is full. I spent a few years at Omni and its still one of my favorite courses (27 holes), really worth playing, has some great views and good variety of holes.

Well, by buddy spoke to a customer of his in Denver and he told my guy that we ought not plan to visit this early in the season as course conditions might be bad.
I'm bummed, it seemed to me that you have had a pretty mild winter, early warm temps and that by April, things might be in really great shape.
I found cheap non stop flights, reasonably price hotel, and your course rates are really good.
All in all, everything was setting up nicely. Dang!!
I'm still working on him to maybe change his mind, we have a Sunday tee time ( record 73 degrees here in Mn today)
If you have the time and inkling, reply with your thoughts. I might forward the replies as ammo.

[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1331779471' post='4510761']
Well, by buddy spoke to a customer of his in Denver and he told my guy that we ought not plan to visit this early in the season as course conditions might be bad.
I'm bummed, it seemed to me that you have had a pretty mild winter, early warm temps and that by April, things might be in really great shape.
I found cheap non stop flights, reasonably price hotel, and your course rates are really good.
All in all, everything was setting up nicely. Dang!!
I'm still working on him to maybe change his mind, we have a Sunday tee time ( record 73 degrees here in Mn today)
If you have the time and inkling, reply with your thoughts. I might forward the replies as ammo.
[/quote]

No, the weather has not been mild and prone to good growing conditions. We had the snowiest February in state history, there was snow on the ground in a lot of places for 6+ weeks. This last week has been nice weather, 70º or so, but nothing is going to grow in a week, and we are supposed to get socked with another snow storm next week Tuesday. Course rates are good right now, sure, but the conditions are crap. I honestly, cannot recommend anyone to spend money on a trip to Colorado now or in the next 2-3 weeks. If we get snowed on again next week, and everything freezes up we are going to be set-back another 3+ weeks. No courses that I know of have started to reseed or make an attempt at getting good conditions. Right now we are just waiting in the wings for the next snow and freeze.

That's just the way it is this time of year. With good luck, by early-mid April, courses will be worth the rate to play...Until then its a gamble, I wouldn't want to pay much more than $50 for any course in the state right now...It's awesome to see how excited you are, and you should be, because Colorado has some fantastic golf. I just wouldn't want you to spend money coming out here to play mediocre at best conditions. Just hold off a bit, and wait for things to get lush and green, it'll be worth the wait.

Feel free to PM me with further questions!

-B

Hey Hattrick.
Wanted to thank you as I did not know of the late winter snows. And now that we are golfing so early here, the itch has been scratched.
I spoke to my playing partner last night and we are thinking of a June trip out there.
Really want to get to the area after doing this research, you have some great looking tracks.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Will stay in contact as we get dates settled.

Gordy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

I've walked 9 holes about 5 times since last post. Courses are starting to green up assuming they get adequate attention (Country Club, Semi-Private, Some Public). Its weird in Colorado, we had the snowiest February on record, but this March has been the driest in history. With how dry it has been (fairly windy too), its been tough to get things to really green up. The courses I have talked with have expressed that their summer rates will likely not take effect as early as previous seasons. Hinting at the dry weather with poor growing conditions. However, I expect it to be a good golf season here, just may take a little while til things get pristine in a lot of places. FWIW most courses are in the midst of aerating FW's and greens right now so its not ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll keep you updated as I can, are things better in MN?

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am itching to play this weekend (so that I can re-establish my handicap index before my golf league starts in May), and looks like I'll have to scrap that. Some forecasts are calling for up to [u][b]50"[/b][/u] in the Foothills!

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

it's supposed to be 60's tomorrow...get out early and beat the rain... or play in the rain with a good jacket. golf is fun either way.....

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+