ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

Went and played the Ross Course at French Lick yesterday. It was in really good shape considering the weather we have had. It was not Brickyard conditioning, but still very good. Every time I go down there I like the course more and more. The greens were a tad slow, but given the summer weather I can understand that, besides much faster and some of those greens would be downright scary. The fairways were perfect and the rough was thick but very playable. When I fished up my first round there were three or four groups waiting to go off, so I head over to the Valley Links. It was the first time I have played the Valley and I though it was fun. The walk from #1 green to #2 tee up the hill almost killed me in the 100* heat, but after that it was a very easy walk and a fun way to wind down the day.

I haven't been to the IU course, but Martinsville is in decent shape for the weather. The greens and fairways were fine when I played a couple weeks ago.

I tend to avoid the IU course when the weather is this bad. The soil there isnt very deep and their watering attempts end up frying the grass. If you do play it, please post your thoughts.

I have not been out to IU since April or May, but I would agree with tooms assessment. Cascades is just down the street and they typically are in about the same shape and Cascades fairways and rough are about gone and the greens are really starting to show some stress. Even in the best of conditions, IU is not a course I would make a lot of effort to play.

Went up and played the Brickyard today. Considering the weather we have had it was in fantastic shape. They were hand watering hot spots all day and there were several spots that were softer than I would have liked but given the weather it is what has to be done. Is it me or do the putts out there just not move near as much as they look like they should? I am looking forward to getting up again this fall when the heat breaks and they can let things firm up a bit.

As mentioned before, the iu golf course badly needs refurbished...the school knows it, they just don't have the funds or priority to do it. The IBJ did a story about this a couple years ago. The terrain and wooded layout would allow for a flat terrific golf course. Hopefully someday it will happen. I always enjoyed playing it as is, as its long and challenging, but don't expect anything resembling great conditions.

Was able to score a $40/person rate at Prarie View in Carmel for Sunday afternoon so my dad and I hit the course about 4 PM. We got around in about 3:45 and I shot an 80 from the whites which plays about 6215.

Course was in pretty good shape giventhe weather, but the greens were very bumpy and it appeared that the cup edges were raised. Had a number of funky turns and swereves around the cup that just didn't seem natural.

Definitely worth the $40 we paid, not really worth the $90 regular rate. The $55 twilight rate is an iffy proposition also.

Played Purgatory for the first time, last Tuesday.Took me a few holes to get my head around the landing areas/fairway layouts, but enjoyed it very much. Would seem a waste to not play it again since I know the layout now. It seemed in decent shape?? Don't know how to compare it since this was the first time??It would not be a visually pleasing golf course to some people, but I liked the links?? style layout and target areas for your shots.Can't really just bomb it [i can't anyway] without thinking about roll-out and trouble. Shot 87--front 48-ouch back 39 I want a rematch lol
Paul

I was fortunate enough to play in the Coaches vs Cancer Event at Blackthorn G.C. this past Sunday. Its a pretty big event put on by the Basketball Coach at the University of Notre Dame. One of my clients invited me again this year. Blackthorn is in incredible shape. They are getting ready for the Symetra Tour this week in which I get to caddie for one of the ladies :beach: .

Anywho, the best part besides playing Golf on Sunday is that Taylormade was there and those to played in the event got a $250 voucher for anything Taylormade makes right there on the spot. We got everything at cost. So basically ppl were getting a brand new R11s at cost for $280. :butcher: I opted for a carry bag since I own a lot of TM anyways. But the event was great and it brought in a TON of money for Cancer Research.

Titleist junkie

Just played Plum Creek today and the greens are awful. Looks like they've had outings the past few days with all 500+ pound golfers that hit every green and never fixed a ball mark... Very spongy, dinged up, and really rough. I wouldn't pay the rack rate to play there... just FYI

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='onemoetime' timestamp='1344351827' post='5423026']
I was fortunate enough to play in the Coaches vs Cancer Event at Blackthorn G.C. this past Sunday. Its a pretty big event put on by the Basketball Coach at the University of Notre Dame. One of my clients invited me again this year. Blackthorn is in incredible shape. They are getting ready for the Symetra Tour this week in which I get to caddie for one of the ladies :beach: .

Anywho, the best part besides playing Golf on Sunday is that Taylormade was there and those to played in the event got a $250 voucher for anything Taylormade makes right there on the spot. We got everything at cost. So basically ppl were getting a brand new R11s at cost for $280. :butcher: I opted for a carry bag since I own a lot of TM anyways. But the event was great and it brought in a TON of money for Cancer Research.
[/quote]man that sounds amazing! would love to play in that one day. I saw one of the local news stations auctioning off a 4 some spot in it. the winning bid i think was 800 which was a great deal considering the 2700 4 some rate.

Played hickory stick over the weekend. Really the fairways were in terrible condition. Very burnt up from the drought...greens were fine.

Also played recently at rock hollow in Peru for the first time. Very enjoyable course that was in very good condition. A nice mix of holes. Greens were a little on the slow side, and the bunkers we wet and packed down mud, but that had gotten a lot of rain. They had not been raked. Fairways were great. For the price, can't be beat.

[quote name='ILBrad`' timestamp='1345582429' post='5511610']
I will be playing the Fort, Purgatory, and Brickyard crossing next weekend. Purgatory sounds challenging.
[/quote]

Brickyard is the most fun. Fort most scenic. Purgatory is good. All good challenges, depending upon your tee choice.Fort wasn't a good shape as usual a couple weeks ago, but weather has been good since, so may be better.

I went to Indy and played Maple Creek with my son (who broke away from Butler) on Wednesday. We had some vouchers we got from LivingSocial.com back in March so we played for $24.50 each I think. The fairways and rough were in great shape. Anyone know if they're keeping the fairways a bit shaggier than normal? They were fairly high. The greens were in good shape other than you could tell they've had a lot of traffic. It was a fun tough test. We have two more vouchers to use before they expire in October. Looking forward to giving it a go after having seen it once.

BTW - I got beat by son 82-85. Awesome!! I think he's won the last 3 times we've played now. :yahoo:

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1345823363' post='5527480']
Playing the Legends tomorrow via a ridiculously cheap rate we got. Have not played it in years, used to be really nice. But i know that they have had financial issues, so not really expecting much.
[/quote]

I think the condos they built on the interior of the course ruined it for me. There are some fun holes and when I was there last year they had it in decent shape.

The Villages (child advocacy and support agency in Indiana) is having a fundraiser scramble on Sept. 20t.h at Braodmoor CC. I do not know much about the agency, but Braodmoor CC is a must play in Indy, and what better way to see it then by supporting a good cause. I am sure there is much more information on their website.

I am not affiliated with The Villages or Broadmoor CC, and this post is not intended as a solicitation, just information I thought some of you might find interesting.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1345895765' post='5531921']
[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1345823363' post='5527480']
Playing the Legends tomorrow via a ridiculously cheap rate we got. Have not played it in years, used to be really nice. But i know that they have had financial issues, so not really expecting much.
[/quote]

I think the condos they built on the interior of the course ruined it for me. There are some fun holes and when I was there last year they had it in decent shape.
[/quote]

Agree on the condos, some are very close, but it's only a few holes. Conditioning was ok, not bad, not great. But considering we played for $19, no complaints. Shot one under on the back - road - nine, with 3 birds...so that made it even better.

Played Rock Hollow twice this summer and it was in immaculate condition. Driving from Indy we play 36 when we go, we paid $60 for 36 holes, that is just a steal. My new favorite course. No fancy club house just one great golf course and great staff.

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

[quote name='DiaBetic WooKie' timestamp='1346683798' post='5578291']
Anyone have any current info on The Fort, and Purgatory? I live just curious if anyone had played out there in the last week or so. Any info would be great, Thanks.
[/quote]

I'll ask my son about The Fort and post back. He just scored his first hole in one there yesterday at #5.

Dad = 0. Son = 1. :D