ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

I have played both in the last week. The Fort is in really good shape compared to anything else public in Indy (except the Brickyard). There are a good number of ball marks on the greens, but that is not uncommon given the traffic they get, and a few brown spots on the high places in the fairways, but you won't be disappointed.

Purgatory is in about the same shape for fairways and greens. The greens look trafficked, but for the most part roll very smooth. Where Purgatory is showing a little bit is in the maintenance of the bunkers and their lips. There are weeks growing in with the fescue and the lips are more "natural" than they used to be. Their lakes were very low last week and they were pumping from one into the other.

Either way, I highly recommend both courses, as they are in great shape. The Fort is probably an 8.5 out of 10 and Purgatory is a 7.5.

[quote name='marmooskapaul' timestamp='1346766634' post='5583505']
Anybody going to Crooked Stick this week?? Never been to PGA tournament, so I'm going to try and get out there one day. Any pointers??
Paul
[/quote]

I'm going on Sunday...No real pointers though. If you like to walk and see the course find a group you like andfollow along.....or the other option is find a good spot and stake a spot out for a while and see a bunch come through. I prefer sitting behind the tee on a par 3 or something....most people like to sit around the greens, others like grandstands, but not really my thing. Should be fun

There was a time when i played most of my golf at a course just outside of Spencer, IN called Rolling Meadows. It is only a 20 min or so drive from downtown Bloomington and at the time it was the best course in the area. It was not one of Tim Liddy's best design, but it was fun and normally in decent shape. The one complaint I had was that most of the time it was to soft. I am sure there are a lot of folks on the board that spent time down at IU are familiar with the course. I stopped driving over to Rolling Meadows a couple of years ago because the conditions were just getting really poor, and it no longer made sense to spend the extra 20 min in the car to get over there.

I went back out this morning for the first time in 2 years and left after 9 holes very sad. The tee boxes were in worse shape then the rough at Cascades, the fairways have been reduced by 30 to 40 percent and in really bad shape. What was left of the greens were in good shape but they were half their original size and I am not sure they have been cut this week. Now we did get rain overnight, so I was not expecting fast and firm, but most of the greens felt like walking I was walking on a mattress.

It is not the same course I use to play and I have no intention of going back.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1347128069' post='5607767']
There was a time when i played most of my golf at a course just outside of Spencer, IN called Rolling Meadows. It is only a 20 min or so drive from downtown Bloomington and at the time it was the best course in the area. It was not one of Tim Liddy's best design, but it was fun and normally in decent shape. The one complaint I had was that most of the time it was to soft. I am sure there are a lot of folks on the board that spent time down at IU are familiar with the course. I stopped driving over to Rolling Meadows a couple of years ago because the conditions were just getting really poor, and it no longer made sense to spend the extra 20 min in the car to get over there.

I went back out this morning for the first time in 2 years and left after 9 holes very sad. The tee boxes were in worse shape then the rough at Cascades, the fairways have been reduced by 30 to 40 percent and in really bad shape. What was left of the greens were in good shape but they were half their original size and I am not sure they have been cut this week. Now we did get rain overnight, so I was not expecting fast and firm, but most of the greens felt like walking I was walking on a mattress.

[/quote]

To be expected considering the lack of rain to be had around the Bloomington area this summer...

[quote name='F_N' timestamp='1347267864' post='5615563']

[/quote]

To be expected considering the lack of rain to be had around the Bloomington area this summer...
[/quote]

Have to disagree. It's not like cascades is a fancy course whatsoever, so for it to be that much worse points to issues beyond the weather.

I used to play this course a lot when living in Bloomington, it was really fun course that was very reasonably priced. Hate to hear what it's now become. Sounds like they may be on the way to closing down.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1347296599' post='5617101']
[quote name='F_N' timestamp='1347267864' post='5615563']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have to disagree. It's not like cascades is a fancy course whatsoever, so for it to be that much worse points to issues beyond the weather.

I used to play this course a lot when living in Bloomington, it was really fun course that was very reasonably priced. Hate to hear what it's now become. Sounds like they may be on the way to closing down.
[/quote]

The weather has had an impact on all of the course in the Bloomington area, and I can make allowances for those types of problems and adjust my expectations accordingly. This goes well beyond drought stress and hard summer conditions. The course in its present state shows a total disregard for basic maintenance. The course was not a Trophy Club or Sultan’s Run, but it was a fun layout that I will miss.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1347303637' post='5617825']

The weather has had an impact on all of the course in the Bloomington area, and I can make allowances for those types of problems and adjust my expectations accordingly. This goes well beyond drought stress and hard summer conditions. The course in its present state shows a total disregard for basic maintenance. The course was not a Trophy Club or Sultan’s Run, but it was a fun layout that I will miss.
[/quote]

Sounds like a money issue then. I'm sure that Cascades gets a lot more play than Rolling Meadows, and it's owned by the city. From my memory, Rolling Meadows was never in that great of shape. Money problems, consistent number of bad/hot summers in a row, less play leading to more money problems. Just adds up. Golf is expensive, man.

I live in Lafayette so I have put in a lot of rounds on most of the courses in this area. Kampen @ Purdue and Coyote Crossing are the big draws up here but some good courses that are a blast to play get overlooked. Lafayette Elks is always in excellent shape and is a blast to play as is Battle Ground Country Club. Harrison Hills in Attica is a great track that has pretty low rates for as nice as the course usually is.

And if you're going to come to Purdue to play Kampen, do yourself a favor and play 18 Ackerman Hills, Purdue's South course. Its a complete 180 from Kampen, its short and tight with lots of trees but its a hell of a course in its own right. I play it several times every summer and try to hit Kampen once or twice as well. I'm a Purdue employee as well, so if someone wants to get together sometime for a loop at one of the courses here, drop me a PM and if I can work it with my schedule we can play a round. And it gets everyone in the foursome on the course at my "employee rate" which isn't as great as you would think, but it is a little bit of savings.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1347394026' post='5624715']
Playing the brickyard tomorrow. Haven't played it in about a year, anyone been out there recently?
[/quote]
Course was in awesome shape as usual. Only course I've played this year that's been hard and fast, the way it's supposed to be, without being burnt up anywhere. Greens were nice and quick. Always the best conditioned public course in central Indiana, by far.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1347563711' post='5635369']
[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1347394026' post='5624715']
Playing the brickyard tomorrow. Haven't played it in about a year, anyone been out there recently?
[/quote]
Course was in awesome shape as usual. Only course I've played this year that's been hard and fast, the way it's supposed to be, without being burnt up anywhere. Greens were nice and quick. Always the best conditioned public course in central Indiana, by far.
[/quote]
Thanks for the up-date. I'm playing there 9-19 haven't played it in two years. Can't wait.
Paul

[quote name='svlink' timestamp='1347407829' post='5625853']
Are there "Region" golfers posting here? Give me your thoughts on golf in NW Indiana. I will share mine with you as well.And by the way I consider Lake County and Porter County the "Region" and most people up here would not include Porter County. If your out there lets here your thoughts.
[/quote]

A lot of great courses around the region,

I really enjoy playing Aberdeen, River Pointe and Lost Marsh

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

• 3 weeks later...

I played the IU course with a sales guy yesterday. I normally do not like business golf because golf to me is a way to get away from work and all that goes with it. Today was different. The guy did not give me a hard sell, and really seemed to be more interested in playing golf and talking golf then trying to win my business. He was a good guy and we both had a good time. We stated early and the these pics were take after about an hour and and then 2 hours after we got going. On hole 1 neither of us could see more than about 20 yards in front of us. It actually made me just focus on my swing and not worry about what was out there.

[attachment=1365707:IMG_20120928_093823.JPG]

[attachment=1365709:IMG_20120928_102540.JPG]

[quote name='Frohlich' timestamp='1345632109' post='5514472']
[sup][size=4]Similar agenda but I will be there this weekend. Playing Brickyard Friday, Prairie View Saturday and the Fort on Sunday. The only drawback is they keep uping the temperature forecast. Looks like 90 ish all weekend. I better hydrate[/size] :superman: [/sup]
[/quote]

Hey Martin, how were your rounds and the courses??? Any pics?

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Crown Point, any members near me? I play River Pointe CC and Turkey Creek along with all the others.

I would be interested in meeting some fellow Wrxers! Shoot me a PM if interested.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='onemoetime' timestamp='1350220592' post='5792031']
Where is crown point? i'm way up North if you are ever in the area.
[/quote]I live in Lake Of The Four Seasons. Up North as in Whiting? Where do you play Lost Marsh?

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1350219540' post='5791987']
I live in Crown Point, any members near me? I play River Pointe CC and Turkey Creek along with all the others.

I would be interested in meeting some fellow Wrxers! Shoot me a PM if interested.
[/quote]

I live in Cedar Lake. I've played River Pointe once and I really enjoyed it. Haven't played Turkey Creek yet.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

I played Heartland Crossing for the first time yesterday. Given the time of year the course was in really good shape. The greens had been punched recently and the whole course was on the soft side, but for mid-October at 9:00am I will overlook some things. I will definitely be back next summer to see how it plays when things firm up a bit. I really like the look of the bunkers, but I do have a couple complaints about the way they are maintained. The shaggy edges are great for definition and aesthetics, but when it is maintained in that fashion all the way around as opposed to just the backside, that edge ends up catching shoots that should have run in the bunker. It is not that I think this is unfair, I would just rather see the bunker be the hazard, not the unplayable rough on the tee side lip. The other issue I have would be that these shaggy edges have to be a pace of play killer. The edges are so thick if you get in one it is very difficult to find your ball. I thought all of the pars 3’s were really good and the 4[sup]th[/sup] hole (short par 4) was really fun.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1350396935' post='5801209']
I played Heartland Crossing for the first time yesterday. Given the time of year the course was in really good shape. The greens had been punched recently and the whole course was on the soft side, but for mid-October at 9:00am I will overlook some things. I will definitely be back next summer to see how it plays when things firm up a bit. I really like the look of the bunkers, but I do have a couple complaints about the way they are maintained. The shaggy edges are great for definition and aesthetics, but when it is maintained in that fashion all the way around as opposed to just the backside, that edge ends up catching shoots that should have run in the bunker. It is not that I think this is unfair, I would just rather see the bunker be the hazard, not the unplayable rough on the tee side lip. The other issue I have would be that these shaggy edges have to be a pace of play killer. The edges are so thick if you get in one it is very difficult to find your ball. I thought all of the pars 3’s were really good and the 4[sup]th[/sup] hole (short par 4) was really fun.
[/quote]

Heartland is a fun course, probably the best on the south side. Agree on the bunkers, they are a bit much, but certainly something different.

I have been hearing for years that Sultan’s Run down in Jasper is a really nice course but I had never made the trip. Having seen pictures of the course I knew it ran thorugh a lot of trees so I figured the fall colors would be great. The course is pretty good, and despite the light rain the fall colors were great. Like with Heartland earlier this week I am not going to complain about the soft fairways because of the time of year. The zoisya grass in the fairways has started to go dormant, but I am sure they are really nice in the summer. The greens were in really good shape and ran really quick given the time of year and weather. The par threes all played down hill and seemed a bit repetitive, but there were a couple really fun risk/reward short par 4’s. I think the course was nice, and may be worth the $65 I paid (green fees, cart, and small bucket) in the prime season, but seemed a bit steep for fall conditions.

[attachment=1389833:IMG_20121019_110426.jpg]

[attachment=1389835:IMG_20121019_121159.jpg]

[quote name='jlt73' timestamp='1350239976' post='5792869']

[/quote]

I live in Cedar Lake. I've played River Pointe once and I really enjoyed it. Haven't played Turkey Creek yet.
[/quote]

I play in a scramble at S Shore CC each year that a distributor of mine puts together. Great outing w/ the Bloody Mary's starting early and readily available at the 1/2 way house. Neat ol' course. Great folks at the club house too.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1350752841' post='5821159']
I have been hearing for years that Sultan’s Run down in Jasper is a really nice course but I had never made the trip. Having seen pictures of the course I knew it ran thorugh a lot of trees so I figured the fall colors would be great. The course is pretty good, and despite the light rain the fall colors were great. Like with Heartland earlier this week I am not going to complain about the soft fairways because of the time of year. The zoisya grass in the fairways has started to go dormant, but I am sure they are really nice in the summer. The greens were in really good shape and ran really quick given the time of year and weather. The par threes all played down hill and seemed a bit repetitive, but there were a couple really fun risk/reward short par 4’s. I think the course was nice, and may be worth the $65 I paid (green fees, cart, and small bucket) in the prime season, but seemed a bit steep for fall conditions.

[attachment=1389833:IMG_20121019_110426.jpg]

[attachment=1389835:IMG_20121019_121159.jpg]
[/quote]

I get to Jasper regularly on business and have YET to play SR. Jaspers muni is a bargain course w/ bent grass FW's. Contrasting nines are cool too. I'll do SR for sure next summer w/ clients.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

[quote name='Bob Cat' timestamp='1351029649' post='5835691']
[quote name='jlt73' timestamp='1350239976' post='5792869']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I play in a scramble at S Shore CC each year that a distributor of mine puts together. Great outing w/ the Bloody Mary's starting early and readily available at the 1/2 way house. Neat ol' course. Great folks at the club house too.
[/quote]

I really enjoy south shore cc. Nice little course. Even better that it is right around the corner from my house

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6