ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1340639841' post='5163794']
I know this is all things Indiana Golf, but I just wanted to share some shots from my trip to Kauai, HI

Wailua Golf Club 17th Tee
[attachment=1228208:WGC17.jpg]

Poipu Bay 15th Tee
[attachment=1228206:PB15.jpg]

Poipu Bay 16th Tee
[attachment=1228212:PB16.jpg]

Poipu Bay Looking Back from 17th Tee
[attachment=1228210:PB17lb.jpg]

Non-Golf Waimea Canyon
[attachment=1228204:WaimeaCanyon1.JPG]
[/quote]

Didn't remember The Fort having that many ocean holes :rofl: Looks awesome!!!!

LOVE the Donald Ross course at French Lick. But wow would it be hard to choose between it and the Brickyard. I got goose bumps going under the track to the holes inside of the track. Here are a couple of threads with pics from French Lick. I have another thread somewhere on the Ross course but I'm having trouble finding it.

I also have a link to a thread with pics of the Brickyard and one at the Fort. But you'll need to pm me for those.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/654178-the-pete-dye-course-at-french-lick-indiana-big-10-championship/page__p__4893714__hl__french%20lick#entry4893714

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/420853-played-the-donald-ross-course-at-french-lick-lots-of-pics/page__p__2775534__hl__french%20lick#entry2775534

How is everyone’s home course holding up in this heat?
Down here in Bloomington they have been putting a lot of water on Cascades. I played yesterday afternoon and found about an inch of water in several of the holes on the Quarry side. Fairways were still doing well (for Cascades) and the rough areas are pretty brown and firm. I have not been back on the Ridge 9 in a few weeks, but given the issues they have had back there in the last few years, and the lack of air movement back in the trees, I am betting it is in rough shape once again.

River Pointe C.C. seems to be holding up. A little firm in some areas of rough but not bad.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

With the heat like it is right now, how will the courses such as The Fort, Brickyard, etc. hold up during the summer? Will they still be in decent shape come August? That is when I have family visiting and I would hate for everything to be brown and dried out. We are planning on playing the Fort and Brickyard so I'm hoping they hold up.

[quote name='AboveParGolfer' timestamp='1341110678' post='5196804']
How does Prairie View compare to Brickyard and The Fort?
[/quote]

Prairie View is more expensive....but doesn't have a great reason to be. It's a very good course, don't get me wrong, but just don't think it's great enough to justify $90. You can play it for $55 in twilight....that's not a bad deal.

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1341253607' post='5205128']
How is everyone’s home course holding up in this heat?
Down here in Bloomington they have been putting a lot of water on Cascades. I played yesterday afternoon and found about an inch of water in several of the holes on the Quarry side. Fairways were still doing well (for Cascades) and the rough areas are pretty brown and firm. I have not been back on the Ridge 9 in a few weeks, but given the issues they have had back there in the last few years, and the lack of air movement back in the trees, I am betting it is in rough shape once again.
[/quote]

Wood Wind is still in excellent shape. Played yesterday morning....yeah, they have to put a lot of water on the fairways in the morning, so they are a bit squishy early....but they have triple row irrigation, and water the roughs pretty far off the fairways....I was never once in a brown'd/dried out area.

[quote name='AboveParGolfer' timestamp='1341529213' post='5223190']
With the heat like it is right now, how will the courses such as The Fort, Brickyard, etc. hold up during the summer? Will they still be in decent shape come August? That is when I have family visiting and I would hate for everything to be brown and dried out. We are planning on playing the Fort and Brickyard so I'm hoping they hold up.
[/quote]

Those courses should be just fine. They have modern irrigation systems, which water practically everywhere on the property. Both those courses have great drainage too....so they will play fast and firm in the fairways, but they won't be burnt up.

In past weeks I've played these courses

Purdue Kampen Course: very good condition as you would expect from this course.
Trophy Club: very good condition as well
Twin Bridges: very good condition. They always keep the fairways really soft and green it seems.
Martinsville Country Club: Greens were soft and fairways are in pretty good shape, rough is rough and dead. I would play this again definitely.
Smock: Fairways were getting a bit on the deadsite in late June, still greenish though.

Played Kampen and Coyote Crossing yesterday. Yes, 100 degrees, 36 holes...stupidity. When you get a day away from the wife, kids, and work...you MUST take advantage.

I was actually impressed by the condition of both courses (Kampen is always good). Coyote was very wet in spots as you would expect, but couldn't help but keep thinking if that course were in Indy, it would be $75 instead of $39.

Kampen is just a GREAT track, and as always, in great shape. It was suprising how firm they have been able to keep most of the fairways and still not brown out. The greens were in great shape, rolled true, and were perfect speed from green to green...again, with all the watering, hard to do.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

played bear slide this morning. Was in very good shape. Yes the fairways were wet early on....but that seems to be everywhere.....greens were a little slower than I've been playing, but were very nice still. Just a very good test of golf out there...and an incredible diversity of holes. Almost like playing two different courses in how they mix it up.

I'm way up north and the heat has been Ok but the humidity has been brutal.

Played a few courses since i got back from my other job in vegas. All in all the fairways and greens are in great shape, only real heat issues are in the outer edges of the rough.

Blackthorn Golf Course = course is in very good condition considering the heat.
South Bend C.C. = Exceptional shape
Elbel G.C. = not so good shape
Elcona C.C. = fantastic shape

Titleist junkie

[quote name='bargolf' timestamp='1342449981' post='5284906']
Anyone planning to watch the BMW Championship at Crooked Stick?

Should be a great week.

[url="http://www.petedyegolftrail.blogspot.com"]www.petedyegolftrail.blogspot.com[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah I'm hoping to get the chance to play out there a few weeks prior.

[quote name='pu_golf88' timestamp='1339086493' post='5047344']
[quote name='mark092974' timestamp='1338313131' post='4994624']
[quote name='twgolf' timestamp='1337995499' post='4979282']
Wow, you would think by all of these posts golf is only played in Indy and below in Indiana.

Lots of great courses up here in northern Indiana, but seems no one from up north is on golfwrx.

Giving a shout out to Christiana Creek in Elkhart. The greens are in fantastic shape, rolling fast and true.
[/quote]

I've played a lot of courses up North. My top 10:
1. Rock Hollow-Peru My favorite in Indiana
2. Blackthorn-South Bend
3. Mystic Hills-Culver
4. Warren-South Bend
5. Chestnut Hills-Fort Wayne
6. GlenDarren-Angola
7. Cobblestone-Kendalville
8. Noblehawk-Kendalville
9. White Eagle-Dyar
[b]10. Autum Ridge-Ft Wayne[/b]
[/quote]

Autumn Ridge is one of your favorite in Fort Wayne? It's too bad they went private then. Cherry HIll, FWCC, and Orchard Ridge are all good tracks around the area too.
[/quote]
FWCC and the Ridge are or at least used to be private. Autumn is "semi-private". If you can't get on at Cherry they will try to work you in at Autumn Ridge. Autumn Ridge is a way better course than Cherry. I know Cherry has it's fans but personally its one of my least favorite courses in the state.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1342459884' post='5286128']
[quote name='bargolf' timestamp='1342449981' post='5284906']
Anyone planning to watch the BMW Championship at Crooked Stick?

Should be a great week.

[url="http://www.petedyegolftrail.blogspot.com"]www.petedyegolftrail.blogspot.com[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah I'm hoping to get the chance to play out there a few weeks prior.
[/quote] We are a corprorate sponsor (unfortunately not BMW) so I believe we will get an opportunity to play a few rounds, but most likely after.

Now, Brickyard. Fort is not in very good shape. Brickyard is always in great shape, in my opinion I like the layout of the Fort Better. I would avoid the Fort right now though, if you're not asking a hypothetical question.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1342807441' post='5316698']
Now, Brickyard. Fort is not in very good shape. Brickyard is always in great shape, in my opinion I like the layout of the Fort Better. I would avoid the Fort right now though, if you're not asking a hypothetical question.
[/quote]

I was planning to play Brickyard, The Fort and Prairie View next month for a weekend trip. Are you saying the Fort is beat up from all the heat..if so, how bad? Also considering Trophy Club and Purgatory.

[quote name='Frohlich' timestamp='1342810790' post='5317188']
[/quote]

I was planning to play Brickyard, The Fort and Prairie View next month for a weekend trip. Are you saying the Fort is beat up from all the heat..if so, how bad? Also considering Trophy Club and Purgatory.
[/quote]

I haven't played it for a few weeks, but was great when i played

[/quote]

I jsut played the Fort last Wednesday, I thought it was in fantastic shape. Fairways were firm and crisp and greens were hard and fast. Thought it was one of the best in shape courses I've played in Indy lately.

That being said, Brickyard is in phenomenal shape, better than the Fort and might be the best conditioned course I've played this summer and that's counting Meridian Hills and Crooked Stick. It's amazing how good of shape it's in, especially considering the weather as of late.

Can't go wrong with either course, my top 2 in the city.

[quote name='jtarble' timestamp='1343246416' post='5352600']
[/quote]

I jsut played the Fort last Wednesday, I thought it was in fantastic shape. Fairways were firm and crisp and greens were hard and fast. Thought it was one of the best in shape courses I've played in Indy lately.

That being said, Brickyard is in phenomenal shape, better than the Fort and might be the best conditioned course I've played this summer and that's counting Meridian Hills and Crooked Stick. It's amazing how good of shape it's in, especially considering the weather as of late.

Can't go wrong with either course, my top 2 in the city.
[/quote]

Great to hear. I am playing 36 at both in a month (I am in Cincinnati)...just made the tee times today. I still need to pick out our Sunday venue. Leaning towards Purgatory but also considering Priarie View and Trophy Club.

Played over the past two weeks:

The Lengends - meh, it used to be in a lot better shape. The greens are hairy and slow but have to guard against burn out so I understand, The bunkers are still wretched there.

Brickyard - perfect condition as always

NW Indiana golf trip:

[u]Battleground[/u] - good course, hairy greens (again, I understand)
[u]Sandy Pines[/u] - a MUST for anyone who wants to make the trip or who lives in the NW Indiana area. A wonderful course with very reasonable rates. Played it last year too and the condition has been incredible both times.
[u]Palmira[/u] - good course, the condition left a little to be desired but the heat is taking it's toll this year
[u]Coyote Crossing[/u] - fantastic track in awesome condition

[quote name='twgolf' timestamp='1337995499' post='4979282']
Wow, you would think by all of these posts golf is only played in Indy and below in Indiana.

Lots of great courses up here in northern Indiana, but seems no one from up north is on golfwrx.

Giving a shout out to Christiana Creek in Elkhart. The greens are in fantastic shape, rolling fast and true.
[/quote]

I'm up north as well. Played Cristiana Creek last week.

Titleist junkie

I'm in Crown Point Play all the northern courses.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin