ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

After the great weather on Monday, I decided I was going to take the morning Tuesday and head up to Carmel to play Prairie View. When I got up the radar looked like the rain that had developed would move out and before I got to the club so I made the drive north and the closer I got the more the weather deteriorated. By the time I got to the 37 and 465 junction I was ready to just turn around and head back to Bloomington. I did press on and got to Prairie View about the time the initial wave passed through. As my wife says the only thing I am optimistic about is weather when I am going to play golf, so I went ahead and played and just because I am also a bit crazy I walked. The course was completely waterlogged and in many places fairways had standing water. A big wave came through just as I finished number 6, and I was able to take cover at the nice shelter house on that end of the property for about 15 min. As I was finishing up on #9 a second line came through and I waited it our in the club house for another 20 min. I got through the back nine with out interruption and a few light showers. It was hard to focus on the course and notice the details, but overall I really like the layout and thought the holes presented some interesting shots. I got the impression that the course used hazards and bunkers to frame and guide play more than create risk/reward opportunities. The course played very, very long because of the super soft conditions, but I would imagine if under normal circumstances it is at all firm that it would be a really fun place to play. It was obvious from looking at several of the greens that they had some real issues this summer, but it appears they have gotten a lot of the worst areas re-grassed and they should be in great shape come spring. I think I will add another vote for Prairie View as a great $50 to $65 course in the Indy market, but probably overpriced at $90.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So last week I had to take my wife’s grandmother back to Evansville. This was a trip I volunteered for because I would get to try out the new portion of Interstate 69 which cut half an hour off the trip, in addition it was suppose to be 60 degrees in Evansville, and I could stop over and play Quail Crossing Golf Club on the way home. Quail Crossing is one of Tom Doak’s early designs in Booneville about 20 min from Evansville. I have been wanting to get over to the course for sometime, and while the mid-December conditioning was not ideal I was able to get an idea of what the course is like. Doak’s use of natural features, wide fairways, and undulating greens make the course a really fun place to play. It is a residential course and at times the houses are very noticeable and some of the green to tee transitions are long, but some of the holes are really cool. I only saw one other group (a six-some), that let me through with out delay. I paid $29 mid-week in December, and that seemed like a really good deal. I would not drive from Bloomington to Evansville just to play Quail, but if I am in the area I would play here again. It was not the best day for pictures but I did take a couple.

[attachment=1465143:QC.JPG]

[attachment=1465145:QC1.JPG]

I played at Quail Crossings about 5 years ago. A buddy and I played on one of their play all day specials. Unfortunately, my buddy had a sore back. So we only got 27 holes in before he couldn't take it anymore. The course is a lot of fun. I'm wanting to get a foursome together with my my buddies and do a Ryder Cup style tourney over 36 holes someday.

[quote name='elmo17' timestamp='1356619914' post='6123217']
I live in Crown Point. I am a member at Youche. If you are looking for a great course try Sandy Pines.
[/quote]

Awesome! Another region WRX'er.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

[quote name='elmo17' timestamp='1356619914' post='6123217']
I live in Crown Point. I am a member at Youche. If you are looking for a great course try Sandy Pines.
[/quote]+1 I am also from Crown Point and though I didn't get there this year Sandy Pines is a nice course.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='pcew73' timestamp='1356710034' post='6128911']
Another vote for Sandy Pines. I however live in east Gary,aka Portage so I play the majority if my golf at Brassie only because it's closer to home.
[/quote]Brassie is a nice course as well shoot me a pm if you ever want to run that track!

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1356734629' post='6131079']
Another vote for Sandy Pines. I however live in east Gary,aka Portage so I play the majority if my golf at Brassie only because it's closer to home.
[/quote]Brassie is a nice course as well shoot me a pm if you ever want to run that track!
[/quote]

i sure will. i have a good friend of mine who i pllay alot with thats a member here also. we'll get a group together

PXG gen5 0311 10.5 riptide blue
15* Sub70 939 Riptide blue
sub70 699 pro s300
Titleist sm9 s400
TM Spider tour red 35"

[quote name='pcew73' timestamp='1356740844' post='6131551']
[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1356734629' post='6131079']
[/quote]

i sure will. i have a good friend of mine who i pllay alot with thats a member here also. we'll get a group together
[/quote]Sounds awesome!!

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='jlt73' timestamp='1356747149' post='6132015']
Region outing in the spring/summer? It'd be a lot of fun to meet and play with other region WRX'ers.
[/quote]I would be up for it...I nominate you jlt73 as the outing coordinator...let me know time and location.

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1356564090' post='6119949']
So last week I had to take my wife’s grandmother back to Evansville. This was a trip I volunteered for because I would get to try out the new portion of Interstate 69 which cut half an hour off the trip, in addition it was suppose to be 60 degrees in Evansville, and I could stop over and play Quail Crossing Golf Club on the way home. Quail Crossing is one of Tom Doak’s early designs in Booneville about 20 min from Evansville. I have been wanting to get over to the course for sometime, and while the mid-December conditioning was not ideal I was able to get an idea of what the course is like. Doak’s use of natural features, wide fairways, and undulating greens make the course a really fun place to play. It is a residential course and at times the houses are very noticeable and some of the green to tee transitions are long, but some of the holes are really cool. I only saw one other group (a six-some), that let me through with out delay. I paid $29 mid-week in December, and that seemed like a really good deal. I would not drive from Bloomington to Evansville just to play Quail, but if I am in the area I would play here again. It was not the best day for pictures but I did take a couple.

[attachment=1465143:QC.JPG]

[attachment=1465145:QC1.JPG]
[/quote]

From Newburgh now living in Evansville I played Quail every other week or so in HS as they let the school team practice there every now and then depending on events going on at our home course. Anymore I'll play it a few times a summer as I love the front 9 but feel fairly indifferent about the back 9.

If anyone is headed to Evansville and Is looking for a playing partner send a message my way and I'll see if I'm free to get out!!!

LT59

• 3 weeks later...

Indiana WRX outing date and course set....

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/773997-indiana-wrx-outing-may-18-2013-south-bend-country-club/page__st__60__p__6245603__hl__+indiana#entry6245603"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/773997-indiana-wrx-outing-may-18-2013-south-bend-country-club/page__st__60__p__6245603__hl__+indiana#entry6245603[/url]

Editor Product Reviews

Played a quick 18 "on" Pebble Beach today at the Golf365 simulators in Noblesville today. Website: iplaygolf365.com

Putting was a bit odd, but the overall experience was pretty good. The shots accurately mimicked my usual game, including misses and 3 of us were done in ~2.5 hours.

The facility was nice with 4 sims, 2 auto-tee bays, 1 regular bay, a large putting green and a workout facility Wished I lived a bit closer as I would seriously consider a 6 month winter membership.

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1358811901' post='6273107']
Played a quick 18 "on" Pebble Beach today at the Golf365 simulators in Noblesville today. Website: iplaygolf365.com

Putting was a bit odd, but the overall experience was pretty good. The shots accurately mimicked my usual game, including misses and 3 of us were done in ~2.5 hours.

The facility was nice with 4 sims, 2 auto-tee bays, 1 regular bay, a large putting green and a workout facility Wished I lived a bit closer as I would seriously consider a 6 month winter membership.
[/quote]Where are you located...My wife and I are opening same kind of place.

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1358824466' post='6274307']
[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1358811901' post='6273107']

[/quote]Where are you located...My wife and I are opening same kind of place.
[/quote]

Central Indiana. The Golf 365 is in Noblesville, which is just north of Indianapolis. I live east of Indy.

We are going to open one in N W Indiana near the area of Crown Point. Two wide screens and three bays with monitors with one being dedicated for lessons. I am also looking into the Putting Lab software. We are going to call it "Play 18"

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1358862723' post='6275687']
We are going to open one in N W Indiana near the area of Crown Point. Two wide screens and three bays with monitors with one being dedicated for lessons. I am also looking into the Putting Lab software. We are going to call it "Play 18"
[/quote]

How far will you be from Schererville, when do you open and will you serve alcohol?
I have a few customers in the area that I may be interested in entertaining there this winter.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

[quote name='Bob Cat' timestamp='1359146768' post='6297981']
[/quote]

How far will you be from Schererville, when do you open and will you serve alcohol?
I have a few customers in the area that I may be interested in entertaining there this winter.
[/quote]Bob we are not opening until fall of 2013 and I believe we are going to apply for beer and wine only, and finger food.

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1359148277' post='6298173']
[quote name='Bob Cat' timestamp='1359146768' post='6297981']
[/quote]

[/quote]Bob we are not opening until fall of 2013 and I believe we are going to apply for beer and wine only, and finger food.
[/quote]

Alrighty, well, keep us posted!

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out that the owners of White Hawk purchased River Pointe CC and the Brassie. Could be interesting...

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='JonBon' timestamp='1361568623' post='6481925']
I played in an ESPN tourney two years ago at the Brassie and found the course very interesting. What is the name of the course about 2 miles from there right off the main drag with the huge fountains visible from the street?
[/quote]

www.sandcreek.com

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any courses open yet in Indy that anyone knows of? I'm going to be there this weekend, and I originally booked a round at Brickyard Crossing (which was supposed to open 3/15), but they postponed their opening by a week. I also tried The Fort, but they wont open for a couple weeks (per my phone call).

I saw that Prairie View was supposed to open 3/9, but not sure I want to drive 40 min. from downtown. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!!

[quote name='tysonlb' timestamp='1363323982' post='6615413']
Are there any courses open yet in Indy that anyone knows of? I'm going to be there this weekend, and I originally booked a round at Brickyard Crossing (which was supposed to open 3/15), but they postponed their opening by a week. I also tried The Fort, but they wont open for a couple weeks (per my phone call).

I saw that Prairie View was supposed to open 3/9, but not sure I want to drive 40 min. from downtown. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!!
[/quote]
The city courses just west of downtown should be open. Google Riverside, Coffin or South Grove. Coffin just went through a remodel is supposed to be pretty nice. That said, they won't be on the same level as the 3 you mentioned.