ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1371667650' post='7283708']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1371662988' post='7282952']
[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1371646149' post='7280478']
If time is an issue then I would say play the Brassie. Of the two courses I rate Aberdeen the nicer course. I would say its no more than 30 minutes if that.

What about playing Lost Marsh in Hammond? You can hit that as you leave Chicago. Just take the Skyway and follow Calumet Ave. after you finish you can take Calumet to the roll road and head to South Bend.
[/quote]

lol, played Lost Marsh this past weekend! Quite the challenge.

I'll probably end up at Brassie because of the extra half hour drive. Don't want to venture too far off the toll road and take too much extra time since I won't be able to tee off till the afternoon anyway.

What about White Hawk? Is that any good?
[/quote]

Played White Hawk this past week. It was good but not much to really write home about. Conditions were a little decent. We played the Black Hawk and Red Hawk 9's. Black Hawk was very solid but I thought Red Hawk was lacking. IMO if it were going to put me out of the way I probably wouldn't bother.
[/quote]I would say this is a fair assessment.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

So ended up playing SBCC friday and Sunday with my hockey teammate who's a member. Man, that's a tough course. They had some sort of tournament there recently and they didn't mow the rough afterwards and it was insane. I thought I was playing Merion! 4 inch rough right off all the greens and in the second cut off the fairway. Add in the tiny elevated greens and it was a serious challenge. Had a lot of fun.

Playing Sunday was a mistake. We had just played a hockey game an hour earlier and had played 4 hockey games all weekend so we were exhausted. Sunday's round felt like the baton death march. We're both in our 40s and beat up a bit so it was tough. 4 footers became gimmes. By the 5th hole we stopped taking the flagstick out. By the 12th hole we started taking drops out of the thick rough rather than attempt a swing. By the 14th hole the scorecard was put away. I ended up just giving up on 18. 7 back surgeries and then hockey and golf the same day, probably not a good idea lol.

All in all though, really nice course and place. Can't wait to visit again and give it another shot.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1372100500' post='7314720']
So ended up playing SBCC friday and Sunday with my hockey teammate who's a member. Man, that's a tough course. They had some sort of tournament there recently and they didn't mow the rough afterwards and it was insane.
[/quote]

[b] Indiana Amateur Championship was there - last day was Thursday[/b]

[quote name='bmr4242' timestamp='1372105491' post='7315228']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1372100500' post='7314720']
So ended up playing SBCC friday and Sunday with my hockey teammate who's a member. Man, that's a tough course. They had some sort of tournament there recently and they didn't mow the rough afterwards and it was insane.
[/quote]

[b] Indiana Amateur Championship was there - last day was Thursday[/b]
[/quote]

ahh that makes sense. I was out there friday and Sunday, that rough was insane.

It was very thick on May 18th the day of the Indiana WRX outing as well.

Editor Product Reviews

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading out on a golf trip next week and was hoping for an update on a few courses, not that it really matters though as I'm going regardless.

Cascades
Christmas Lake
Sultan's Run

We're playing Cascades then traveling down to Christmas Lake and Sultan's Run and hitting the Donald Ross Course on the way back. Thanks!

Kinda sounds like your familiar with the area but if you're in or around Jasper, IN (Sultans Run) then you might want to eat at the Schnitzelbank. I stay in the Hampton Inn next door (owned by same family) a few times a year on business and always stay and eat there. Get the 2" smoked pork chop if you can... and a cold draught.

Let us know how the trip goes!

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Played the Sagamore course in Noblesville on the 4th. Very well-maintained, and well routed to minimize the fact that it runs through a housing subdivision. Greens were quick, which was impressive given the amount of rain we had and the rest of the course was a bit wet in places. Greens are very deceptive and tough to read. 18 is a really nice finishing hole, but 17 was a brutally long par 3 for my group.

Played ok on the front but really limped home.

I've played most of the public courses around the Indy area. Seems that Rock Hollow north of Indy has got a ton of good reviews so that will be on my list of courses to try out soon. i have to agree with most of the reviews. they seem pretty consistent. I really like courses that the holes vary from hole to hole and give you the option of hitting driver or fairway wood off the tee rather than just the straight away automatic driver on every par 4. I’ll take good greens over perfect fairways any day. I’m big on price. Always looking for a discount or golfNow. Too many good courses to pay 70+ a round.

I’ll start off by asking, anyone have tips or inside knowledge on how to get on any of the private courses. Guess they are private for a reason, ha, but just wondering if you have to know a member of if there are times they will accept the common folk. Would love to play bridgewater, woodland, or couple of the others that catch your eye while driving by.

The Fort is my favorite. Great setup, variety in holes, each hole feels like you are secluded from the rest of the course. Definitely not cramped like Brickyard

Brickyard was cool and is the best conditioned course I've ever played. Some really great holes

Trophy club is a great value and a really fun setup. Can get pretty windy out there being on top of the hill and pretty open

Wood wind is a decent setup and the greens are usually in great shape. Nothing really memorable about the course, a lot of back and forth over a single creek, but there are a handful of good holes that make it above average. Still on the bottom of the list the courses I’ve listed as far as fun.

Prairie View is fun course and nice but over priced if paying full rate, but then this is just me being tight in what I’ll spend on a round of golf. Still fun holes that don't require driver but allow it on every tee shot which i like.

Really like Bear Slide. Another course that is usually in good condition with natural lake that supplies water. Also a course that's fun where it doesn't feel like you're playing the same hole over and over

Purgatory is nice and change of pace with the links style but if you're not driving it straight it can be a frustrating 18 holes that will leave you feeling like you did nothing but look for balls all day in the tall grass surrounding fairways if playing foursome with mid handicappers

A course that hasn't been mentioned that is really unique to the state is Harbor Links. A fairly new course that has matured in the last couple of years and doesn’t get a ton of play so in great shape and isn’t jam packed forcing a wait on every tee. Designed by Pete Dye’s son, it sits next to a lake and has several holes that have the lake as the backdrop or holes that curve around the lake. Lots of elevation which makes for some fun holes. It’s on the east side of the state just south of Richmond. Little hard to get to but has a resort next to course for those staying or camping. Again, being next to lake during the dry months it will still be in great shape. great views, some pretty fun holes. won't find too many courses in the state that are similar to this.

http://www.harborlinksgc.com/

Gallery8.jpgGallery6.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1373039693' post='7392978']
[size=3]I’ll start off by asking, anyone have tips or inside knowledge on how to get on any of the private courses. Guess they are private for a reason, ha, but just wondering if you have to know a member of if there are times they will accept the common folk. Would love to play bridgewater, woodland, or couple of the others that catch your eye while driving by.[/size][/quote]

Have your pro talk to their pro. Works for me.

Question for you. My son's heading back to college and wants to take a mini, low-budget buddies trip to Indy. I can comp them a room (rewards points) but was wondering what two courses would be a great value for them in the $25-$35/round range?

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I will agree with the assessment of Harbor Links. I played there today, and was pleasantly surprised how it has come along. I played there many years ago when it was named Buck Point, and it was pretty crummy back then...condition wise. I was a little reluctant to go back, but it was well worth the hour long drive for me today.

I have played Harbor Links/Buck Point quite a few times. Are you guys saying it's in decent shape? Last couple of years it was rough, but I love the layout. Only live 45 minutes from it.
Also just east of Indy off of 70 is Royal Hylands, just outside of Knightstown . It's a very nice course, usually in great shape. They have some specials for 30$ with cart. About 20 25 minutes east of Indy.
Paul

Also played at The Players Club in Muncie/Yorktown on Friday. 30$ with Golf 18. Very nice course and good deal.
Paul

[quote name='marmooskapaul' timestamp='1373236756' post='7404562']
I have played Harbor Links/Buck Point quite a few times. Are you guys saying it's in decent shape? Last couple of years it was rough, but I love the layout. Only live 45 minutes from it.
Also just east of Indy off of 70 is Royal Hylands, just outside of Knightstown . It's a very nice course, usually in great shape. T
[/quote]

yes, harbor links changed ownership and now the course is in really great shape. always liked the setup but a few years back it wasn't in the greatest shape. much better now.

had a friend mention royal highlands. said it was a fun course. little out of the way but hopefully can check it out at some point this year.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

[quote name='dgrelecki' timestamp='1373076686' post='7395822']
Bob cat- for under 35, look for deals at trophy club and links at the heartland crossing...not sure anything else too solid in that range.
[/quote]

might check out Pebble Brook and Fox Prairie if on the north side. recommend the south over north course on pebble. decent courses for the price.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1373297903' post='7408934']
[quote name='marmooskapaul' timestamp='1373236756' post='7404562']
Also just east of Indy off of 70 is Royal Hylands, just outside of Knightstown . It's a very nice course, usually in great shape. T
[/quote]

yes, harbor links changed ownership and now the course is in really great shape. always liked the setup but a few years back it wasn't in the greatest shape. much better now.

had a friend mention royal highlands. said it was a fun course. little out of the way but hopefully can check it out at some point this year.
[/quote]I did know Tarten Golf Mng.. or something like that had taken over. Will definately give a play in next few weeks. I really do like that course. Had to wait for a flock of wild turkeys to clear the green on the par 3 13 or 14?? Thanks for the update.
Paul

Anyone have comments on the condition of Sultan's Run? I've read it wasn't in the best of shape the last few years but curious how it is now that French Lick owns it....

FYI, Heartland Crossing is in excellent shape. New owners have taken the time to invest in the course, the greens are perfect. Get out there and give it a shot. I've played there twice this week and probably will a third time too.

[quote name='rekalj' timestamp='1373459494' post='7423338']
Anyone have comments on the condition of Sultan's Run? I've read it wasn't in the best of shape the last few years but curious how it is now that French Lick owns it....

FYI, Heartland Crossing is in excellent shape. New owners have taken the time to invest in the course, the greens are perfect. Get out there and give it a shot. I've played there twice this week and probably will a third time too.
[/quote] I played Sultan's run about a month ago. It was in good/decent shape but nowhere near the condition of the French Lick courses that I also played on that same trip. I loved the layout at Sultan's run and would play it again. The tee boxes and greens were in fine shape. The fairways needed to be mowed (at the time rain wasn't an issue so it wasn't the weather stopping them from mowing fairways), traps were in OK shape and the rough was in OK shape. If they maintained it like the French Lick courses it would have been outstandign experience because I think the layout is top notch.

Indiana WRX fall outing thread posted ...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/851342-indiana-wrx-fall-outting-9-7-13-sandy-pines-100-pm/page__pid__7426588#entry7426588

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='khoyng82' timestamp='1373560161' post='7432316']
Gonna be in the Kendallville area and wanting to play 4-5 different courses over 3 days. Have Cobblestone and Noble Hawk on my list but wanted to know about the other courses in the area? Has anyone played the Bridgewater courses? Any others to consider; Heron Creek, Deer Track, Cedar Lake, ...?
[/quote]
You will be roughly 30 miles from Glendarin Hills. It is not to be missed if you are that close. It has no rival in the area.
[url="http://www.glendarinhills.com/"]http://www.glendarinhills.com/[/url]

[quote name='Bubb' timestamp='1373562719' post='7432612']
[quote name='khoyng82' timestamp='1373560161' post='7432316']
Gonna be in the Kendallville area and wanting to play 4-5 different courses over 3 days. Have Cobblestone and Noble Hawk on my list but wanted to know about the other courses in the area? Has anyone played the Bridgewater courses? Any others to consider; Heron Creek, Deer Track, Cedar Lake, ...?
[/quote]
You will be roughly 30 miles from Glendarin Hills. It is not to be missed if you are that close. It has no rival in the area.
[url="http://www.glendarinhills.com/"]http://www.glendarinhills.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Word!
And if you need a neat, cheap room hit the Potawatomi Inn at Pokagon state park in Angola. Tremendous value.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of you played much in Evansville? I am going to be down there to play a course in Oct, and was going to have time for one other round.

My options of places I can get on are Evansville CC, Rolling Hills CC, and the best public options (that I can tell) are Eagle Valley and Quail Crossings. Did I miss anything? For you guys who have played them, which would you choose?

I am going to be staying right in the middle of downtown Evansville, so I don't want travel too far....50 miles would be the max.

Thanks

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1375448596' post='7589860']
Have any of you played much in Evansville? I am going to be down there to play a course in Oct, and was going to have time for one other round.

My options of places I can get on are Evansville CC, Rolling Hills CC, and the best public options (that I can tell) are Eagle Valley and Quail Ridge. Did I miss anything? For you guys who have played them, which would you choose?

I am going to be staying right in the middle of downtown Evansville, so I don't want travel too far....50 miles would be the max.

Thanks
[/quote]

Just north of Evansville is Caimbridge. It is a links style track that is great fun to play. I think it's around $35 for 18 with a cart. It's one of my favorite courses.

Also just east of Evanvsville at Boonville is Quail Crossings. It's a Tom Doak design that is worth a look. If you play on Thursday, you can play ALL DAY for $45. A great deal if you can play on that day.

I get down there on business each quarter. QC>EV... BUT I really dig the Hornet's Nest out by EV. QC is in/around a quarry (coal) that's kind of cool.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 2 weeks later...