2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

EDITOR Review: Callaway Razr X BLACK irons

LONG, HIGH and BLACK!
CALLAWAY Razr X BLACK irons

Introduction:

Pros
Forgiveness is my MIDDLE name! Long is my FIRST name! The black hides lot of Super GI features into a pleasing compact GI head. HOT all over the face. Plenty of offset to hit the ball HIGH and STRAIGHT. DURABLE finish.

Cons
PW with a smidge too much offset and a thicker topline for my liking. Really geared more towards a refined Razr X than a replacement of the Diablo Forged.

Bottom Line
An excellent alternative to the Titleist AP1 712, PING G20, and Taylor Made RBZ. The PVD finish is durable and very classy look in the bag and at address. Virtually eliminates glare.

Editor/Tester Review:

First of all, a HUGE THANK YOU to Callaway Golf and Golf WRX for allowing me the opportunity to test and write this review on the new 2012 Callaway Razr X Black irons. As many of you know, I’m a huge Callaway-homer. I have been since the first time I hit the X-16 Pro Series years ago and the ball flew as straight as a ruler. Seriously! When WRX first approached me to review these, I thought they were just messing with me. I had to read and re-read the message a few times because I was just surprised beyond belief.

Just a little about myself. I’m a 6 handicap, play several times a week (9 holes during the week mostly). I have a driver swing speed that’s in the 105-111 mph, 6-iron of about 93 mph. The strength of my game lately has been my iron play, and have a decent short game (putting can improve of course. LOL) And I LOVE golf equipment, especially Callaway Golf products. They have treated me like a Touring Professional over the years, from excellent products to outstanding customer service. I have been able to have several range sessions and rounds using them in a variety of on-course situations, and hope that you enjoy reading my review. Lots of pics, comparison pics and a video to follow.

Look

Well what can I say? I like the PVD finish. It holds up REALLY well. Unlike other irons in this category that shall remain nameless (cough, had 4 numbers in it, cough), the finish on the Razr X Black is very clean, durable and eye catching.

Now, these will never be confused for it’s brethren, the Razr X Tour or Razr X Forged, but I’ll add that if Callaway were to provide this finish on those two irons, they would fly off the shelves. In fact, if they came out with a Tour Authentic version of the Razr X Tour, Razr X Forged, or even Razr X MB’s, they would really sell like hotcakes on a nice summer’s morning.

At address, each iron provides plenty of “heft” behind the ball to provide a lot of “there’s no way I can miss this” confidence to aid the 20+ handicap to even the low handicap that prefers this type of iron. Below are several photos of exactly what I mean:
RXB 7-iron (below)

RXB 7-iron at address (above)

The middle irons look very clean at address. The black PVD finish disguises the offset very well. The topline, while being thick, is also hidden by the PVD finish a bit as well. I also enjoy the ferrule on all of the irons. I really do. For me, that’s a HUGE improvement over previous generations, and one of the reasons I love the new generations of Callaway irons. Mind you, I played the X-16 Pro Series for many years and thoroughly enjoyed them as well, but after having switched to irons WITH ferrules, I simply have a hard time going back to irons sans ferrules. Sorry G20.

RXB 4-iron at address (like cheating, it’s so easy to hit straight)

The long irons ARE so confidence inspiring, without being gaudy. In fact, to be honest, I hit the long irons the best! LOL. Never thought I would say that. The 4 and 5 irons are pleasing to the eye; especially due to the black PVD finish (do you see a trend?? LOL). In fact, my one wish is that they made the PW look as nice as they did the 4-iron! I’d be willing to bet that the 3-iron would be clean as well, and I’d certainly be willing to be that if they made a 2-iron, it would sell too!

Performance/playability

I will break up this set in terms of the short, middle and long irons during this review.

The short irons, while being on the “thick and meaty” side, are basically point and shoot. Point, hit the shot HIGH, and shoot. Yes, they have stronger lofts, but I’m so use to my Diablo Forged, that I really like not losing any distance whatsoever. I do tend to hit the ball HIGHER than my DF’s, with EVERY iron, but I had expected that, as the COG in my opinion is lower and deeper than that of that of the RXB’s. The offset does it’s job to a tee. If you struggle to hit the ball HIGH, or even HIGHER, the offset does it job and every iron benefits. I will say that I found that I gravitate towards my GW or SW, than using the PW for short chips and pitches. I need to get use to the look of the PW before I’m completely comfortable, but on full shots, it’s point and shoot. The 9-iron and 8-iron are actually nice to look at, and Callaway did a fine job of reducing the offset just enough that it’s not distracting.

The mid irons of the set are very easy to hit, especially with a draw. I found that I actually just had to move the ball back just a smidge that I was use to, and voila, straight shots. If you don’t want to fade the ball, THESE irons are right up your alley. There is literally ZERO glare off the clubface with these. NONE. NADA. NUN-KA! The black PVD finish really does it’s job well. For those of you that struggle with mid irons height, you’ll LOVE these. I mean LOVE them. (See a trend here as well??) For me, the offset does take some getting use. In all honestly, I’m not 100% dialed in yet, which is a testament to these irons in that I still get decent results even though I’m not swinging well and not use to the extra offset, compared to my DF’s. When I demo’d the 6-iron, I hit it with the stock shaft. I recommend it. WOW, it’s actually really good for it’s intended purpose of getting the ball UP and OUT there. I went with the PX Flighted 6.5’s, and man, I’d better bring it each and every time. LOL.

The long irons are well…. Let me put it this way. They are like taking candy from a baby. They’re like playing poker with a group of people and they all have to wear mirrored sunglasses so that you can see their cards. They are SO easy to hit. SO easy to hit, they just might be illegal (only joking!!). I hit them off the tee, off the fairway, in light rough and heavy rough. WOW! These long irons just GLIDE through the rough, seeking out the ball, and then hitting that very golf ball on a HIGH launching arc. Whoa. Scary. And I thought my DF’s were forgiving, but these are stupid easy.

Feel

Okay, I’ll preface this by saying that they aren’t forged, and I don’t expect them to be. The “feel” off the face is NOT Mizuno-soft, it’s NOT DF’s soft, but it IS hot, crisp and pleasing to the ear. Callaway does a nice job with these irons of creating a “thwick” type of sound off the face that sounds and feel very nice. I can hit the club all over the face, and it’s nice. There’s no hard stinging feel, yet they provide feedback and let you know where you hit it, just enough feel to give you some feedback, yet still be pleasing. They will not be confused with the MP-59’s, Razr X MB’s, or any other pure forged iron, but they’re not supposed to be either. They have that “thwick” right off the face. The ball comes off hot and lively, yet pretty consistent as well.

Overall bottom line

Overall, I will go out on a limb and say that a lot of mid-high handicap players, and quite a few low handicaps are going to be drawn to this iron. They are not only THAT easy to hit, but again, I cannot reiterate it enough, the black PVD finish really does disguise the offset and thicker topline (save the PW). Callaway is offering a GREAT alternative to it’s own Razr X, and those of the Titleist AP1 712’s, PING G20’s and Taylor Made RBZ irons. The PVD finish is pretty awesome and it seems to hold up really well. I’ll definitely give an update on them as I put more rounds on them. If you prefer a GI or even SGI type of iron, THESE are right up your alley. In fact, I’m of the opinion that it’s safe to say that they have SGI features PACKED into a GI iron. They are THAT easy to hit. I really mean that. Now, with that said, if you’re in the market for a Razr X Forged, Razr X Tour or even a replacement to my much beloved Diablo Forged, you may not prefer these, until you hit them. But even then, that’s what those other iron options are for. But if you really want an iron that will feel HOT with a nice “thwick” off the face, definitely check them out. Please enjoy the rest of the pics, as it’s time for me to be quiet now and let the pics & video do the talking for themselves. :partytime2::partytime2:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jmc' timestamp='1331871592' post='4517689']
Thanks for the awesome review. Sounds like they have a winner... Just curious what shafts are in your DF and what shafts were in the RXBs? Thanks again!
[/quote]

Thx amigo for the kind words. DF's have PX Flighted 6.0's while RXB's have PX Flighted 6.5'a and soon to be KBS C-Tapers. I'll do a followup once the C-Tapers are in too.

Thanks for the review! I wish I hadn't read it. I'm looking for some GI irons that disguise the thick topline well, and now I may have to try these. My wallet doesn't like you, and neither does my wife!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

golfware,

A darned nice job in / on your review. Your photos with flower pedals in the background, have raised review photos to a new level / high....bb.gif You Are The Man...Good Job Guy ! cool.gif

p.s. Them Daisies? tongue.gif j/k . Reviews are to be informative, and fun, and your review is both. Good Job!

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1331872599' post='4517791']
Thanks for the review! I wish I hadn't read it. I'm looking for some GI irons that disguise the thick topline well, and now I may have to try these. My wallet doesn't like you, and neither does my wife!
[/quote]

Yes. That they do. My buddy who loves blades even commented on how he liked the black PVD finish.

It’s a Callaway RAZR X Black wonderland! :man_in_love: Not sure I can think of any place on the internet that has more pictures, and is more in depth; well done golfware!

Agree these clubs are definitely for some people, while probably not for others. And not quite the Diablo Forged iron replacement some hoped they’d be, I think they’ll appeal to those who’ve hit the RAZR X Tour, but want more forgiveness, and those who hit the RAZR X but want more workability and compact shape. :good:

Again, really great job. :clapping: Lots of time obviously went into that, and you talked about nearly all the points anyone interested in these irons would probably want to know about.

Great review. From your pictures, the irons actually look very compact and square, and set up very nicely. Offset is significant, but it seems appropriate for the category these irons are in. I'll be looking forward to seeing how these fare on the course longer term. Keep up the good work.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Hunyacka' timestamp='1331900619' post='4518697']
Great review. Thank you for putting that amount of effort into it.

I think it would be a decent looking iron if they took off that diagonal bar that goes across the back.
[/quote]

Yeah. It's not so bad though. Kinda "spac age". Really slick in person.

[quote name='Wsc04forever' timestamp='1331904242' post='4518889']
what's the idea behind the top groove being white, looks out of place
[/quote]

Yeah. I'll have to figure out a way to remove that. The top white groove indicates the club is +2* upright. At first I thought it added a nice touch as a possible alignment aid, but the more and more I look at it, i tend to agree with you. On the DF's, Cally puts a "dot" configuration on the hosel. They could take that idea to the RXB's too for a very clean look. Thx for asking. You've given me an idea! :-)

[quote name='RJD' timestamp='1331921232' post='4520363']
Thanks for the review. Have you happened to hit the AP1 712s or JPX-800s by any chance, and if so, how do they compare?
[/quote]

I've owned the original AP1's and I like the look of these quite a bit better, mostly due to the appearance of a more compact and boxier look at address. I'll have a look at the new AP1's. Can't comment yet on the JPX-800's, but I'll also check.

[quote name='NJ Shlice' timestamp='1332176764' post='4536419']
What space in the Callaway line are these clubs meant to fill in regards to the regular Razr X irons?

Are the Black version more for work-ability than the regular Razr X?
[/quote]

More than anything, they are a finish option to the Razr X iron. I've held both the Black and the Razr X in my hand. The blacks have similar offset, yet look more compact and boxy. Forgiveness is the same. They both just want to hit the ball straight or a little draw.

[quote name='pitch' timestamp='1332615946' post='4570830']
Great review and pics. These are going on the "list" immediately.
Wonder why Golf magazine had them listed under "players" irons?
[/quote]

Yeah, I wondered that myself. Especially when they had the MP-59's under "Game Improvement" and these under "Player's" iron. HUH?? Really??

These continue to impress me as they just hit the ball high and straight. Mind you, the stock setup will work WONDERS for someone that can't elevate the ball. I spin the bejesus out of the ball with the stock uniflex setup, but that's me. I'll also add that I can see why Callaway made them so strong lofted, as the CG is LOW and WAY BACK on this iron. Really easy to elevate them.

I went to a local golf shop who didn't have them on display, and then to a big box, who also wasn't going to stock them. There are no expectations to actually demo them first, as I'm left handed, but it would at least be nice to see them in person before deciding whether or not to make an iron purchase. Has anyone else besides golfware picked up a set of these? Any other opinions out there?

913D AD BB 6s
913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1332788155' post='4585072']
I'll scour for local shops for a left handed set to get picks of.
[/quote]

Really appreciate the offer, but your pictures are great and show me as much as I can see in pictures online. I would still like to see them in person, waggle them, etc. I'll find a shop that carries them around here.

Would love to hear input from others who have played these.

913D AD BB 6s
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser

[quote name='RJD' timestamp='1332789509' post='4585254']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1332788155' post='4585072']
I'll scour for local shops for a left handed set to get picks of.
[/quote]

Really appreciate the offer, but your pictures are great and show me as much as I can see in pictures online. I would still like to see them in person, waggle them, etc. I'll find a shop that carries them around here.

Would love to hear input from others who have played these.
[/quote]

Thx for the kinds word. And I have no doubts you'll find them soon. They are just trickling out nowadays...

Great review. Agree 100% that the dogleg in the Pitching Wedge is more than a little too much.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1332794483' post='4586040']
Great review. Agree 100% that the dogleg in the Pitching Wedge is more than a little too much.
[/quote]

Yeah, apparently it could be order 1* or 2* weak, which would reduce the offset. Other than that small detail, the set really flows well.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to hit these at a demo days event outside last weekend. Was not a fan. The shorter heel-to-toe blade length combined with the thickness of the sole just didn't feel right. I was hitting various player's irons much better as a result.

913D AD BB 6s
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser