2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Took on the Longest Hole in the US today.

Meadows Farm #12 (841 Par 6)
It was a total dagger. Being somewhat of a hack golfer didn't really help in the matter.

I was only able to post a 9. (Got jammed up when an horrid slice ended up costing me a few extra recovery strokes).

Any other WRX members ever to a crack at it? Curious to hear some other scores.

(On the plus side of things though I did get a pretty cool shot with my Corza while waiting for a group ahead of us :) )

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1333763398' post='4668128']
Congratulations!

But, frankly I don't see why anyone would design such a hole.
[/quote]

So you can say that you have the longest hole in the US and people will post threads about it....course advertising really. Gotta have a gimic...well I guess you dont gotta...but this course does.

[quote name='Big L' timestamp='1333763376' post='4668126']
I've been wanting to play there for a while now (I live an hour south in Richmond). How'd the rest of the course look?
[/quote]

It was actually pretty nice ....they just aerated the greens a few days ago so they were a little dicey in that regard and some of there more "Novelty" style holes looked like they could use
a touch of maintenance(the waterfall wasn't working at one hole , things like that) but we played all 27 holes and none stood out as "Wow they really let this one go"

[quote name='kmayer99' timestamp='1333764696' post='4668256']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1333763398' post='4668128']
Congratulations!

But, frankly I don't see why anyone would design such a hole.
[/quote]

So you can say that you have the longest hole in the US and people will post threads about it....course advertising really. Gotta have a gimic...well I guess you dont gotta...but this course does.
[/quote]
I hope it's not catching. :-)

[quote name='Par:4 Shoot:6 Write:5' timestamp='1333761371' post='4667834']
It was a total dagger. Being somewhat of a hack golfer didn't really help in the matter.

I was only able to post a 9. (Got jammed up when an horrid slice ended up costing me a few extra recovery strokes).

Any other WRX members ever to a crack at it? Curious to hear some other scores.

(On the plus side of things though I did get a pretty cool shot with my Corza while waiting for a group ahead of us :) )

[attachment=1106840:Corza ring.jpg]
[/quote]
By the way, very nice picture. :-)

Oh yeah, I am very familiar with that hole. I live pretty close to Meadows Farms so I play it regularly (and it is where I practice at since it is dirt cheap and you get real grass).

As for the longest hole, it is interesting....I usually hit hybrid 3 off the tee, hybrid 3 for second shot, and the same hybrid for the third shot (assuming I am going for the green). The pond at the bottom of the hill pretty much takes driver out of play, unless you can put it on the far left side. The best score I have had on the hole is birdie - on in 3 and then 2-putt. I've had quite a few pars on it....and quite a few 8's and 9's!

The course isn't anything special but it has some "thinking" holes were you have to question if driver off the tee is the best option. They redid two sets of fairways last year and I think are doing the other set of fairways this year. They do a pretty good with upkeep. The weekends can be slow though....had a few 5+ hr rounds out there on Saturdays and Sundays.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1333765262' post='4668314']
By the way, very nice picture. :-)
[/quote]

Thanks , had the camera set on 1 second burst and just started moving the putter around in front of it looking for a shot similar to what I got.
May have to give it another go at some point maybe turn the putter right side up lol

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1333806576' post='4670468']
Oh yeah, I am very familiar with that hole. I live pretty close to Meadows Farms so I play it regularly (and it is where I practice at since it is dirt cheap and you get real grass).

As for the longest hole, it is interesting....I usually hit hybrid 3 off the tee, hybrid 3 for second shot, and the same hybrid for the third shot (assuming I am going for the green). The pond at the bottom of the hill pretty much takes driver out of play, unless you can put it on the far left side. The best score I have had on the hole is birdie - on in 3 and then 2-putt. I've had quite a few pars on it....and quite a few 8's and 9's!

The course isn't anything special but it has some "thinking" holes were you have to question if driver off the tee is the best option. They redid two sets of fairways last year and I think are doing the other set of fairways this year. They do a pretty good with upkeep. The weekends can be slow though....had a few 5+ hr rounds out there on Saturdays and Sundays.
[/quote]

I took the same approach as far as using my hybrid 3 for my opening few shots. It was my 5th shot that hurt me , slice dropped me on the lower back right side of the
second pond wedging outa there cost me :(. I live about an hour and some change south of Meadows (woodbridge area) but I found it was worth the trip.

The second pond doesn't usually get me, but I have sliced more than my fair share of balls into the trees to the right of the green, especially when I have a severe downhill lie (like if your second shot ends up on the left side of the fairway) for that third/approach shot. Now the first pond...I have put many a drive in there. And I have put many a second shot in there too. :black eye:

How did you fare on the island green hole?

Do you ever go play Bristow Manor or any of the courses in the Fredericksburg/Stafford area?

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Played it many times when I lived in VA.
My complaint was, how can you make the longest hole in the US and not be able to use a driver off the tee?
If the pond was 75-100 yards further out, it would be a much more fun hole. The Waterfall par 3 should be the courses signature hole. Made several birdies and pars and at least one 7, 8, and 9.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1333813476' post='4670996']

Do you ever go play Bristow Manor or any of the courses in the Fredericksburg/Stafford area?
[/quote]

Ball in the water and the subsequent drop had me post up a 5 on the island green. Which may have been karma cause I made the
Mistake of saying "Well that doesn't look so tricky"

Nope haven't really ventured out that far except this once.

[quote name='RighttoLeft' timestamp='1333820654' post='4671476']
My complaint was, how can you make the longest hole in the US and not be able to use a driver off the tee?
If the pond was 75-100 yards further out, it would be a much more fun hole. The Waterfall par 3 should be the courses signature hole. Made several birdies and pars and at least one 7, 8, and 9.
[/quote]

I didn't think of it like that as far as it not being driver friendly for something that more or less sounds like something you would require a driver for.
I agree I found the waterfall par3 to be the coolest hole there...unfortunately the waterfall (for whatever reason) wasn't on yesterday so it looked
like a rock climbing wall with a bunch of holes in it lol.

[quote name='Par:4 Shoot:6 Write:5' timestamp='1333834815' post='4672892']
[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1333813476' post='4670996']

[/quote]

Ball in the water and the subsequent drop had me post up a 5 on the island green. Which may have been karma cause I made the
Mistake of saying "Well that doesn't look so tricky"

Nope haven't really ventured out that far except this once.

[quote name='RighttoLeft' timestamp='1333820654' post='4671476']
[/quote]

I didn't think of it like that as far as it not being driver friendly for something that more or less sounds like something you would require a driver for.
I agree I found the waterfall par3 to be the coolest hole there...unfortunately the waterfall (for whatever reason) wasn't on yesterday so it looked
like a rock climbing wall with a bunch of holes in it lol.
[/quote]

Yeah, but it is cool driving up through the 'mine shaft' to the green. I have a picture somewhere of a cart you can see through the hole in the wall.

I don't know where you are in VA, but if it's close enough, do Bristow Manor. I lived in Montclair for 6 years (still have a house there) and only played Bristow once... right before I left. Fantastic conditions and a nice layout. I would have played the hell out of it if I found it earlier.
I played most of my rounds at Prince William, Forest Greens, The Gauntlet, Pendelton, Lee's Hill, Brickshire, and that unholy course known as Royal New Kent.

I'm in Culpeper thus why I play Meadows Farm so often. I have only played Bristow Manor once, but I liked the course - fun layout, in nice shape, and not too expensive. The one downside was the extremely slow play - took almost 6 hrs for 18 holes on a Sunday last summer. I have played The Gauntlet once as well. That course just reaffirmed my loathing for Pete Dye designed courses. black%20eye.gif With that said, I want to go back and see if I can get a little bit of revenge. I want to go play Stonewall in Gainesville someday, but it is pricey so it will have to be a special occasion.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

FWIW: Meadows Farms is owned/built by the folks who own numerous Nurseries in Northern Virginia. Thus Meadow's Farms. They built it some years ago to show off the plant/vegetation aspect. Also, they wanted to build something unique/unusual. It is really interesting, not your usual track. I play Bristow a lot too. Close as you'll get to a links course in Northern Virginia that is open to the public. Decent rates and the course stays in very good shape year round. Some interesting holes there too, like numbers 4,7, 16 and 18. Long ball friendly, wide fairways, but balls in the rough are usually gone. If you use your head anyone can play it well.

"This sounds like a golf course mixed with a theme park."

Obviously you guys don't know about the Baseball hole. :cheesy:

"This sounds like a golf course mixed with a theme park."

Obviously you guys don't know about the Baseball hole. :cheesy:

It is entertaining watching first timers play that hole because almost always the yardage on the scorecard/sign is longer than the actual yardage. I've seen people pull 7 and 8 irons when they should have pulled a wedge and just crush the ball over the fence (and almost in the road!). Home run!!! :cheesy:

And OP, don't feel bad for your score on the longest. I played this past weekend and took a 10 on it thanks to two drops and some horrible putting! black%20eye.gif

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I agree. Does the rest of the course suck as bad as this hole design?

This sounds like a golf course mixed with a theme park.

I think some of the discussion of the novelty twist of some of the holes , may have skewed the view of the course its actually pretty nice it just has 2-3 holes

that kinda make you step back and think "Ok ...that's kinda wild" not something you would perhaps want to see on every golf course out there but something

different just for the fun of it. Even at that I can understand how those types of holes may not appeal to everyone but for what they are I found them pretty enjoyable.

It is entertaining watching first timers play that hole because almost always the yardage on the scorecard/sign is longer than the actual yardage. I've seen people pull 7 and 8 irons when they should have pulled a wedge and just crush the ball over the fence (and almost in the road!). Home run!!! :cheesy:

And OP, don't feel bad for your score on the longest. I played this past weekend and took a 10 on it thanks to two drops and some horrible putting! black%20eye.gif

lol Its funny you mention that ....a guy I was playing with did exactly that......smacked it right into that back fence with his 8 and started complaining about how there is no way that the distance listed wasnt correct XD

Yeah I most definitely would like another shot at it in the future now that I know the layout a little better , I think I'll try and stick left to avoid that second pond/gully.

Whats more disheartening (sorta anyway) is after looking into it a little more the record for it(the longest) is a 3 posted by some long drive champion. May have to ask

around the next time I'm up that way and see how accurate a statement that is , seems crazy lol.