2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado Courses for Buddies Trip

ekimdef

So the courses have been selected for our yearly golf trip. This will be our first trip that is West of the Mississippi. We normally have it either in Myrtle or Florida and a couple of stops in Deleware and Alabama(RTJ I HATE YOU) but this year its Denver/Colorado Springs. We have decided to go with the following courses:

Eisenhower Blue- One of the foursome is in Army

The Golf Club @ Bear Dance

Arrowhead

Ridge at Castle Pine

We wanted to play Broadmoor but had to get a room there to play and we didn't want to shell out the extra cash to play there. Dissapointing but not work at 300+ hotel room just to pay 200 to play there in our opinion.

What should we expect as far as weather is concerned May12th-18th? Do the fairways roll forever here? Does the ball really go that much further in that Mountain air? Full club? 1/2Club? Experiences from these above listed courses? Any Courses we should switch out for a far more superior course in the areas?

Feedback greatly appreciated

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Colorado for about 10 years. I go back about twice a year. I can tell you I usually have to club down 2... Last summer I was out there and my PW was going 150.. Here in AZ, thats my 8i...

Hate to tell you... But May is the start of severe weather season in Colorado. It's possible to see anything in weather from snowstorms, thunderstorms, snowstorms with thunder, hail storms, ice storms or even tornadoes.

Weather can turn from 85 to 40 in a second..

Thanks for the feedback. I sort of expected the weather to be a wildcard. I am packing everything you can imagine to be prepared for the weather. I would of rather went to Phoenix but the others decided Colorado would be most convenient for the other parties involved. I hear the courses and the views are amazing so I guess I can take that into account.

Layer up or be prepared with sweaters and rain gear but can also be perfect. I live in NM and play a lot at similar altitude to Denver and would say one club less IMO :beruo:. I have played 3 of the 4 courses you are playing with the exception being Eisenhower. A lot of people don't like Arrowhead as has a few tricky holes. I love the rock out cropings and natural beauty. I also like Bear Dance a lot as it winds through the woods and is really beautiful. Pay a lot of attention to good layups as it can come up and bite you quick! If the buddies like a strip club, I recommend Shotgun Willies off of Colorado in Glendale, I have had a lot of fun there on many occasions. In fact, since I am always bugging my buddies to go there on our trip, I got the nickname "shotgun". I explained to my wife (since it was embroidered on my hat) that it was because I am always ready to go similar to a shotgun start... she said, "Whatever." :sorry: The Ridge is also a nice course in and about the woods. You'll enjoy the carry off of the driver on many of the elevated tees! CB & Potts is a good place to eat and drink (chain sports bar/microbrewery). I am sure you will have a good time, enjoy!:drinks:

Just be prepared as others have said. There is as good a chance that you will be wearing shorts and t-shirts the whole time, as there is that you will have to deal with the rain/thunderstorms (which usually go away as quickly as they come so just find the lightning shelter on the course and wait it out).

I now live at sea level and whenever I come home it's been a 1 1/2-2 club difference.

If you have an extra day head up to Summit County. The scenery alone is worth it, but try and play at Keystone or Brek. The views from the elevated tee boxes can be unreal. Enjoy the trip!!

I've played all the courses you have listed. I live in CO and totally agree with the weather being unpredictable. As far as the courses go, you can't go wrong with those. I agree with a previous post about Arrowhead. It's a beautiful course, but there are a few funky holes as well as greens. The other 3 you have listed, I could play there everyday if I could. Only thing of concern is the condition of the courses during your dates. We have a pretty mild winter and spring, so a lot of courses have already punched, so you should be alright. Beardance and the Ridge are slightly elevated, so they normally get a later start. Eisenhower should be great shape. Just remember to everything breaks away from the mountains!

My brother recently moved there and I played Murphy creek and Colorado national, Murphy creek out in auroa is one I would def play again. Have fun!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Arrowhead is a great course and you will never forget the views, truly one of the most beautiful courses I have played. It does have a few weird holes but that's what makes it fun right.

The Ridge is also a gorgeous course and you will like it a lot. As with Bear Dance also and that's a pretty difficult course. Never played Eisenhower though so can't attest to that.

Here is a picture I took of Arrowhead back in October:

Arrowhead1.jpg

One more thing... I noticed that a lot of people suggest Murphy Creek. Although I think it's a good course, I would recommend going a little further and playing Saddle Rock over Murphy Creek. I am surprised that I have never seen anyone recommend Saddle Rock.

Edit - I am planning to be in CO June 23rd - July 8th..

I am putting Arrowhead and the Ridge at Castle Pines on the list for sure.. Look awesome

I did this same type of trip last year for my bachelor party. We went near the last weekend in May, I believe. We got lucky and the weather held up. We did one day in Denver and 2 days in the mountains. We played Arrowhead, Keystone Ranch and Beaver Creek. I really enjoyed all of them. Layer up, some days it was cool. I took pants but was fine in shorts every day. We had a blast. The elevation does take it out of you, we were exhausted by the last day.

These picture are amazing. I have never been to Denver or seen the Rockies except from a plane. I just hope the mountain air doesn't kill me. I always have trouble in the heat down south and hope the mountain air doesn't have the affect on me. The courses do look difficult but not as difficult as i found the courses at RTG in Alabama. Those courses were brutal in my opinion. I have very unpredictable short drives, horrible fairway woods, irons average and good short game. Once I get to the green I am good but its an adventure to get there. The added distance should help

[quote name='ekimdef' timestamp='1335281131' post='4780624']
So the courses have been selected for our yearly golf trip. This will be our first trip that is West of the Mississippi. We normally have it either in Myrtle or Florida and a couple of stops in Deleware and Alabama(RTJ I HATE YOU) but this year its Denver/Colorado Springs. We have decided to go with the following courses:

Arrowhead
Ridge at Castle Pine

We wanted to play Broadmoor but had to get a room there to play and we didn't want to shell out the extra cash to play there. Dissapointing but not work at 300+ hotel room just to pay 200 to play there in our opinion.

What should we expect as far as weather is concerned May12th-18th? Do the fairways roll forever here? Does the ball really go that much further in that Mountain air? Full club? 1/2Club? Experiences from these above listed courses? Any Courses we should switch out for a far more superior course in the areas?

[/quote]

Those are four great courses. Try the Silver course on the AirForce Academy. I learned to play on those two courses. Look into 3 mile ranch down in Floreance area I think or Fossil trace west of Denver.

Does the ball fly there. I'll give to two examples. I hit my PW there what I hit my 8 iron here in Hawaii. I hit my 3 wood there what I hit my driver here. You will have fun

LET US KNOW HOW YOUR PUTTING IS ON THE BLUE COURSE. LOL.

NOTE: please post some photos of the courses you play. Bear dance will have a Par 4 that has the bunkers set up like a bear claw. Cool to see from the elevated tee box.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ekimdef' timestamp='1335448466' post='4793268']
These picture are amazing. I have never been to Denver or seen the Rockies except from a plane. I just hope the mountain air doesn't kill me. I always have trouble in the heat down south and hope the mountain air doesn't have the affect on me. The courses do look difficult but not as difficult as i found the courses at RTG in Alabama. Those courses were brutal in my opinion. I have very unpredictable short drives, horrible fairway woods, irons average and good short game. Once I get to the green I am good but its an adventure to get there. The added distance should help
[/quote]
You'll definitely feel the altitude, but chances are you'll be fine - just drink a lot of water and take it easy on the booze for the first day or two.

As a Colorado native who gets back there twice a year, you are going to have a great trip on some great tracks. One course you may want to try and take a look at is Fosil Trace up in Golden. It is a newer Jim Engh designed course that plays through old Fosil fields (after the 12th hole, you actually can see old palms and tracks). If nothing else, it would add some variety to the rotation (Bear Dance and The Ridge are somewhat similar courses - if you drop one, don't let it be Bear Dance - love that place). Let us know what you think.

[quote name='ekimdef' timestamp='1335281131' post='4780624']

Arrowhead
Ridge at Castle Pine

[/quote]

Good choices, but I would skip Arrowhead and substitute with a second round at Eisenhower or Bear Dance. If you want a fourth course, then the Silver course at the Academy is a different change of pace, or Fox Hollow in Lakewood, CO, Fossil Trace in Golden, CO, or Riverdale Dunes in Brighton, CO are all fun.

Arrowhead has some nice views, but the course is nothing to write home about and it winds through a housing development for some of the holes.

Drn92

[quote name='XFelon' timestamp='1335374292' post='4787808']
One more thing... I noticed that a lot of people suggest Murphy Creek. Although I think it's a good course, I would recommend going a little further and playing Saddle Rock over Murphy Creek. I am surprised that I have never seen anyone recommend Saddle Rock.
[/quote]

I play in the men's association that is based out of both MC and SR and usually play each course 15-20 times a year. Right now, SR is in certainly in better condition although the MC greens are always faster. MC offers a dry prairie-links feel that some folks (including me) prefer. SR is more lush and traditional, but has some holes that are deceptively difficult (e.g. 9, 10, 11, 18). IMHO, they are both great tests of golf at amazingly low prices.

Well it looks like Colorado weather is not going to cooperate. It looks like the weekend is going to be a wash and we have to play on our planned "off" day. We try to build in one day off in the middle so not to get all "golfed" out. This was built in this year because we are having the trip nearly 3 weeks earlier than usual. We are all going to go into the trip having only played 3 or 4 rounds total so far so this should be interesting. I just hope that the weather for the week stays where weather.com says. Mid 70's all week but I hear that weather there changes at the snap of the fingers...

Glad to see the dunes getting mentioned. We play either that or the knolls almost weekly. Great value.

Fossil trace is nice, but walking the back can be a pain.
Murray creek is definitely a challenge. Like the post above, its a praire course with ridges that must be carried. Donate the ball if you hit it in the rough. You won't find it.
I prefer saddle rock over Murphy creek, but I just play better there. Not as gimmicky and you can find you ball.
Both Denver and Aurora muni course are pretty good. Aurora (mc & Sr) more so than Denver. I also liked lone tree. I'm surprised no mentioned common ground. I never played there but it had a lot of hype. Avoid gvc while I like the course pace of play is terrible.

• 6 months later...

late on this post, but in case any others head to denver, here's the skinny on golf courses in the denver metro:

arrowhead and fossil trace are way over-priced. and arrowhead is a bit mickey mouse of a set up.

best courses to play in the metro area:

- the ridge at castle pines (expensive so check golfnow for discounted rates)
- bear dance
- riverdale dunes (not the knolls course)
- common ground (unassuming course that is amazing)
- fox hollow
- red hawk ridge
- green valley ranch

murphy creek is a good course, but it's located right next to the air force base so it's so friggin loud when the jets fly in and out. and i mean loud.

[quote name='Gmachine' timestamp='1353607930' post='5966365']
late on this post, but in case any others head to denver, here's the skinny on golf courses in the denver metro:

arrowhead and fossil trace are way over-priced. and arrowhead is a bit mickey mouse of a set up.

best courses to play in the metro area:

- the ridge at castle pines (expensive so check golfnow for discounted rates)
- bear dance
- riverdale dunes (not the knolls course)
- common ground (unassuming course that is amazing)
- fox hollow
- red hawk ridge
- green valley ranch

murphy creek is a good course, but it's located right next to the air force base so it's so friggin loud when the jets fly in and out. and i mean loud.
[/quote]

Here is a link to phptp tours of these courses: [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/[/url]