Increasing speed/power---15 yr old

callaflower

hello,

First let me start off, I am 5'7 135 lbs and a 3 handicap. I am a decent player and right now I am happy with my swing and ball flight. I guess you could say I have a pretty stock swing. I am hitting a 45" 910D2 9.5 w/ Kaili 65 stiff shaft. I get about 265 carry and 270-285 total on average when I swing with distance in mind (usually wider arc and faster hip rotation). I have my spin and launch angle exactly how I want it to favor more carry distance. I am very fascinated with Jamie Sadlowski and how he generates so much speed for being a not very big of guy. I am looking for ways to incorporate more speed and power into my golf swing. I know, I will grow and get bigger in the coming years but is that not to say there aren't things I can do now to create that speed? Whether it be slight swing alterations or strength/flexibility excersize, I am willing to work at it. I know there is some sort of a genetic factor for Jamie that allows him to put the club in different positons and his flexible wrists with that crazy wrist hinge, but does he have a swing coach solely for the purpose of a more powerful golf swing? I know I shouldn't be so focused on distance, but golf is a game of fun, not always who can have the lowest score, leave that to the pros and very few people play this sport professionaly, so why not get the most out of it?

So far I have done Jamie sadlowski's workout on TPI about 4 times and I have noticed a slight improvement along with a few minor flexibility stuff. (Go to youtube type Jamie sadlowski TPI and watch part 1, 2, and 3), but my ultimate goal is to reach 300 consistent, a 15 yard gain without longer shaft or any of that. I am willing to work at it and I know there isn't a quick fix to get there so I come here.

thank you

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you hit the ball far enough. If you carry the ball about 265 yars its safe to say you total around almost 280 yards, which works at any course and puts a lot of par 5's within reach. If you are looking to enter long driver tournaments then I would make some changes. Core strength is the key to maximizing distance.

Possibly enter long drive comps. I just love the idea of training and working at something to keep me busy and then see an end result, besides hitting a long ball spices things up a bit in golf. But out of curiosity, if I really wanted to get serious in long drive, what would I do as far as swing? See a long drive swing coach? I could maybe get my swing on camera and post it up for the long drive guru's to look at.

BTW, 280 is at 4000 feet, not sea level.

My advice is to completely forget your current thought process.

1) you're 15, you are going to be going through major physical changes before you are done growing and anything you do now will be completely meaningless until you are finished growing.

2) swing changes are serious business, you are far more likely to do serious damage to your game/confidence than you are to pick up those extra 15 yards

3) golf is a mental game, if you routinely carry 265 and can hit the ball straight that is *PLENTY* far to be competetive at *ANY* level.

If you're playing to have fun, then forget the distance. I personally could care less if you hit it farther than me, if I get the ball in the hole in less strokes then I win. Winning is fun, making scores is fun, hitting it 310 yards and making double bogey...NOT FUN. Take your time and when you're 22 see where you are at, if you are still lacking the distance you want then you can sit down and evaluate what you want to do in the game of golf and make changes. Until then don't mess with a good thing, If I was a 3 when I was 15 I would have been focused on getting a full ride golf scholarship and setting up my FUTURE (not in golf) by not having to take out 60k in loans to get my education...not worrying about hitting it 300. Seriously.

What might be fun might not be fun for me. Hitting a nice high drive 310 yards and even missing %40 fairways, but making recovery shots and having more options off the tee is FUN, that is why there is a whole aspect of golf called "Long drvie"

You are saying, there is nothing I can do with my swing to work on technique or creating more width in my swing or anywhere I can get more speed/power incorporated. Also, I can not do any excersizes, flexibility stuff, or strength to increase speed power, not to mention any training aids like a swing fan for example.

Doesn't make sense.

However, if all this is true. Could I possibly take a route of getting a shaft 1"-2" longer that could be interchangeable with my current head? My worry with that is losing control of the club and being far less consistent in making good solid ball contact.

Speed chain. Look it up . Your welcome.

Build strength all over. keep flexible. The ball will go further.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

[quote name='callaflower' timestamp='1335824314' post='4818470']
What might be fun might not be fun for me. Hitting a nice high drive 310 yards and even missing %40 fairways, but making recovery shots and having more options off the tee is FUN, that is why there is a whole aspect of golf called "Long drvie"

You are saying, there is nothing I can do with my swing to work on technique or creating more width in my swing or anywhere I can get more speed/power incorporated. Also, I can not do any excersizes, flexibility stuff, or strength to increase speed power, not to mention any training aids like a swing fan for example.

Doesn't make sense.

However, if all this is true. Could I possibly take a route of getting a shaft 1"-2" longer that could be interchangeable with my current head? My worry with that is losing control of the club and being far less consistent in making good solid ball contact.
[/quote]

No, I'm not saying you can't do those things. I'm saying that it isn't *WORTH* it. You're 15, that means that no matter what you do right now for conditioning and swing changes doesn't apply anymore when you're 21. Think of it this way: When I was 15 I was under 6' (I think, it's been a while) and I weighed like 120 pounds. When I was 18 I was 6'4 155, put those changes together and even if you think you have the same swing you don't. Your body changes, your swing changes. If you obsess over distance now, even if you figure some things out and make some changes...they likely will not be long term solutions because you're going to have to adapt again anyway.

That doesn't mean you can't try, I'm saying don't do anything drastic. Starting a from the ground up rebuild of your swing is a *terrible* idea and has been the death of more than one golf game. Even professionals who spend 40+ hours a week golfing have a hard time doing it, that means it is even worse for us.

Again, my advice is to get as good as you can the way you play now. By all means make small adjustments as you need to. If you want to work on strength and fitness, go for it. It's *HEALTHY* for you to a point. But don't mentally obsess over getting to 300 yards as your motivation for doing it, it's ultimately going to end badly and will make this game less enjoyable for you...

Don't change a thing. Wait three years and you will be 3 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier. You will be getting plenty of distance then.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

im 24 now, and can hit the ball 285 to 300+ consistently and without a ton of effort, more when I want to. When I was 15 I had similar number to you off the tee and I was basically the same size. The distance will come with time for you just as it did for me. If you attempt to bluk up to early in your growth you could drastically harm your flexibility and actually lose power (trust me I've tried it). My advice it to maintain you golf swing as it is and learn to understand the different aspects of how to create more power when you need and want it. Once you've grown a little more, that knowledge will pay crazy dividends.

Just my two cents, hope it helps you out.

I am far from trying to bulk up. I am doing a golf specific workout that targets mostly core and lat muscles from a long drive champ. I am definately not trying to do heavy squats and bench and deadlift

The excersize working out I have been doing is very light. I go like 1-2 days a week and just do Jamie sadlowski's workout.

Part 1: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HSvAODjD4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HSvAODjD4[/url]

Part 2: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHVmnfiWM-w&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHVmnfiWM-w&feature=relmfu[/url]

Part 3: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql4fTndosY&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql4fTndosY&feature=relmfu[/url]

Those excersizes are mostly core and I do high reps at lower weight. That along with flexibility stuff and a longer shaft should at least have noticeable results wrong?

Now shafts: I like the idea of a longer shaft for more speed. But if I got a longer shaft, how long should I get? Remember I am not very big so a 48" is out of the question. Maybe a 46" shaft? Or maybe 47"? I don't want to have it so long that I can not contol the club and can no longer make solid contact. Does anyone have reccomendations without getting too precise into the science of it have reccomendations for a certain shaft model to consider (optimum carry in mind)? I like how my Kail'i 65 shaft feels now it is a stiff, I would say it favors more carry over a shaft like and Aldila RIP 60 stiff which I like and prefer. I tried one of those on a Callaway Razr Fit head and it wasn't spinny enough and I lost 10 yards of carry on good contact. But wouldn't I want a more aggresive shaft that would be my go to shaft for added distance since I would most likely be swinging faster?

I know it is harder without seeing my spin rates and traj. but I can tell you I carry it 265 4000 feet and with a Kaili 65 shaft stiff I am hitting with a decent trajectory and a fair amount of spin.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Callaflower, if it were me, I would be thinking more about lowering my handicap/improving my game so I could get a full ride scholarship to a D 1 school. If you are only 15 and already play that well and hit the ball that far you might have some real potential. Like others have said, you will grow for a few more years, get bigger, and stronger. You will naturally become longer. I would focus on becoming good enough to win an individual state championship whether it be HS, junior am, whatever. Concern yourself w/ shooting low numbers. Use your skill to get somewhere in life. College is expensive. If you could get it paid for by playing golf, that would be well worth the effort it takes. Don't mean to be preachy of overbearing, but as someone a few years your senior, I do have a little more life experience and just want to give you some useful advice although I know it is unsolicited. So, keep at it. The chain tool trainer thing someone recommended claims to really help you make gains in distance. If you're really set on the distance thing, then you might want to try it. Good luck.

$$$$

callaflower,

i know you say you're not looking to bulk up, but you need to start incorporating some basic lifts into your routine. on the TPI site search for glute function in the swing and then google the posterior chain.

after that check out core performace golf or crossfit. these both manage to focus on maintaining hip mobility and overall flexibility while still performing squats, deadlifts, and basic pressing movements.

at 15 you're just starting to tap into your physical potential, and gaining overall strength and then converting that to explosive power through your core and hip girdle will get you to 300 in no time.

You'll be amazed at what happens to your swing and power as you grow older. I was in your position not too long ago, I tried numerous things, but it really came down to trying too hard. As time went on, and I got bigger, and grew more into myself, the distance just came easier and easier. Its good to work on fundamentals, and have a solid foundation. But the best, most helpful thing for me, was time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just keep on practicing like you are and the distance will come as you grow up. When I was your age I had 3" and 25 pounds on you but I couldn't put it out there 260 (granted I didn't have a 910 D3) but I've matured put on a few pounds since then and I'm right where you want to be. Don't rush it and it will come. Keep working on your short game and all around swing and you will be fine.

I hit a ball 399 yards last night at a local mens night (with witnesses). Granted it was a club down wind, slight downhill roll out and at 3600ft elevation but still, it was almost 400 yards.

Keep doing what you are doing and you will be putting balls out there 300 yards all day long.

I'd suggest adding yoga into your routine... it adds flexibility and body control... that's how I gained most of my distance back in the day.

If you can learn to control a longer shaft, it will add distance... but for anything other than long drive competitions it's a losing proposition.

Get onto a launch monitor and see what your current smash factor is... if it's not above 1.45, you probably won't gain any distance from additional driver length.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Callaflower let me firstly say well done about thinking about s&c (strength and conditioning) at such an early age.

I will give you a brief background about myself and then my thoughts.

I am 25 weigh 185-188 pounds and am 6ft, body fat % around 10. I am also a former national level swimmer (semi retired) and have a decent (not perfect) understanding on s&c and nutrition.

Firstly your age should dictate what you do as most have indicated. What you should consider are the following words when it comes to conditioning: flexibility, technique, hypertrophy, posture, speed, strength.

Flexibility and posture are key as I've found out over the years to long term health and injury prevention so never neglect these!

Hypertrophy is the process of gaining muscle and can be archived by typical bodybuilding techniques so isolation moves such as bicep curls etc performing 10 reps with low rest.

Strength is maximising the muscles force production and can be achieved by doing less than 6 reps and best achieved by doing compound lifts. Strength training by its nature is minimal hypertrophy contrary to popular belief. By this i mean if you load a really heavy weight on say bench press or dead lifts and max out 3 reps you will not bulk!

Speed is how fast your muscle can contract and directly affects power. Speed can be achieved by medicine ball throws, plyometrics, clap press ups, clap pull ups etc.

Now technique is what you age group should be working on. By this I mean cleans, snatches, bench press, squats, dead lifts, jerks etc. This is the massive but though, in order to learn these properly you need to start at a very low weight and therefore you need to do this stage before your body is ready to load heavy weights in a year or 2.

To learn these lifts you will need to find a suitable s&c coach who will understand working with younger ATHLETES, even if this is someone who is not a golf coach. Make sure they are qualified and be careful of personal trainers, there are many who I have found to be under qualified!

In the short term, make sure you can do pull ups, press ups and dips as these will give you good control over your body. Also core work is a good idea and lots of flexibility work! I use a solid foam roller to keep me mobile.

Any q's on nutrition, lifts etc let me know, I am an absolute nutrition nerd!

[quote name='Lefty1987' timestamp='1338826145' post='5028046']
Callaflower let me firstly say well done about thinking about s&c (strength and conditioning) at such an early age.

I will give you a brief background about myself and then my thoughts.

I am 25 weigh 185-188 pounds and am 6ft, body fat % around 10. I am also a former national level swimmer (semi retired) and have a decent (not perfect) understanding on s&c and nutrition.

Firstly your age should dictate what you do as most have indicated. What you should consider are the following words when it comes to conditioning: flexibility, technique, hypertrophy, posture, speed, strength.

Flexibility and posture are key as I've found out over the years to long term health and injury prevention so never neglect these!

Hypertrophy is the process of gaining muscle and can be archived by typical bodybuilding techniques so isolation moves such as bicep curls etc performing 10 reps with low rest.

Strength is maximising the muscles force production and can be achieved by doing less than 6 reps and best achieved by doing compound lifts. Strength training by its nature is minimal hypertrophy contrary to popular belief. By this i mean if you load a really heavy weight on say bench press or dead lifts and max out 3 reps you will not bulk!

Speed is how fast your muscle can contract and directly affects power. Speed can be achieved by medicine ball throws, plyometrics, clap press ups, clap pull ups etc.

Now technique is what you age group should be working on. By this I mean cleans, snatches, bench press, squats, dead lifts, jerks etc. This is the massive but though, in order to learn these properly you need to start at a very low weight and therefore you need to do this stage before your body is ready to load heavy weights in a year or 2.

To learn these lifts you will need to find a suitable s&c coach who will understand working with younger ATHLETES, even if this is someone who is not a golf coach. Make sure they are qualified and be careful of personal trainers, there are many who I have found to be under qualified!

In the short term, make sure you can do pull ups, press ups and dips as these will give you good control over your body. Also core work is a good idea and lots of flexibility work! I use a solid foam roller to keep me mobile.

Any q's on nutrition, lifts etc let me know, I am an absolute nutrition nerd!
[/quote]

I have some nutrition questions. I've worked out for 3 years now. All my compound lifts are 1.5x body weight or higher(for reps). When I started I was no where close to lifting this. I've picked up around 20 yards carry on driver and went from hitting 7 iron 155 to 175. It feels great. Given genetics, I come from a line of hard gainers. I've accepted it. Here is the question. I'm 6'1"(flat footed no shoes). I'm at 150. I've put on probably 10-12 pounds of solid muscle in 3 years. My wrist is 6.5 inches. Below the average for my height. My bone structure is rather small. So given that maintenance calories for my size and weight is around 2600. On most days I try to get in 3000 so I can stay in an anabolic state. I don't always succeed but I try. But given my bone structure should my maintenance number be lower. Because some days I really struggle to get the 3000. Besides that I really don't know. My strength is gradually increasing, but weight not so much. Any advice to get past this plateau. I feel like my lifts are enough to support a little heavier body weight but I just can't get to it and put on more muscle.

Also, any tricks to get more calories in on the days I feel full or when I need a extra 500 calorie meal? Chocolate milk has been my best friend.

Some weeks my appetite is way down. On these weeks when I'm only eating 2000 or so calories a day am I losing muscle(because I don't carry around a lot of excess fat to burn)?

Hello mate,

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't have thought that bone density/structure would vary calorie maintenance requirement by much seen as the majority of glycogen (carbohydrate) is stored in muscles.

What lifts an in what rep range are you doing to try and increase muscle?

The easiest way fin to get calories in is by increasing u saturated fat content. Good foods would be salmon, nuts (raw and unsalted) and peanut butter (preferably organic and free from hydrogenated fats - this is key to overall health!).

Another way to increase calories naturally is coconut milk which you can use to make curries etc.

Sweet potato is also probably the most nutrient dense carbohydrate which is really nice cut up like chips and roasted.

Any more q's just ask.

Cheers

Hello Callaflower,

When I was 15 (now 16), my driving distance was same as yours (carry 265 roll close 290). Now over the course of a year and a half, I've increased my club head speed from 110 mph to more than 130 mph (flightscope validated) and often hit drives in the area of 350 yards. I have found that combining powerlifting training with flexibility exercises and golf speed exercises has given me the greatest increase in club head speed which when applied efficiently yields greater distance.

Lifting weights and increasing muscle strength is very important towards increasing your distance off the tee. If you look at any of the biggest hitters on the Long drive tour, you will notice that most of them are HUGE guys. Jason Zuback, Ryan Winther, Joe Miller just to name a few. The 5 time World Champion, Jason Zuback, is only 5 foot 10, but trains like a powerlifter. He has squatted over 600 pounds, benched 405 for 3 reps, and deadlifted close to 700 pounds. I am a competitive powerlifter also, and as long as I do my flexibility work and maintained flexibility, I notice that my driving distance increases along with my strength level. I would recommend doing a program that is centered around squat, bench press, and deadlift, the reason being because these are all full body, explosive lifts that will improve you athletically when done correctly. Just commit to lifting 3 days a week for 1 hour each time. Dedicate 1 day a week to each lift and do assistance exercises that involve the same muscles that were used in the main lift. I see the best gains when I do 5 sets of 5 reps for each main lift and gradually increase the weight. Don't focus on the amount of weight. Just focus on having perfect form and being explosive. Moving the weight with speed will really develop the explosive power needed in long drive.

As far as training for golf specific speed, I have always done swings without a ball 3 times a week. 3-5 sets of 5 as fast as you can with your driver. Then wrap a sock over the top of my driver and secure it with a rubber band and do 3-5 sets of 5 again as fast as you can. This provides a little bit of resistance and is good for conditioning the muscles for speed. I wouldn't recommend using heavy weighted clubs because they are counterproductive towards your goals. After that, I use a shaft and grip with out a head and swing it as fast as I can with my lead arm (your left arm if you are right handed). You can do it with either arm, but as this is not just for arm speed, I find that swinging with only the lead arm allows you to get more of you body into it and more resembles a golf swing. This is called overspeed training and its purpose is to get the body used to swinging faster than it is currently capable of.

I am going to be honest and say that I don't really know how to effectively train flexibility, so I won't act like I'm an expert. What I do works ok for me but maybe not anyone else.

I hope that I offered some helpful advice. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

• 1 year later...

Hey I posted about this a while back on golfwrx and I've gotten alot of helpful info. I'm only 5'7" 145lbs and I consistently hit 380 and have reached 405 on a flat no wind assists or cart path hole. What I've seen helps is a longer shaft. If you know physics, you'll understand how it helps, but get a longer shaft, on your backswing go past parallel and feel yourself really pull your arms down through your swing. I have a little advantage because I used to play baseball and could swing harder than most people. What can actually help is to get something heavy and long like a metal rod or something like that and practice your swing power and mechanics! Don't lose your mechanics trying to gain distance!

But aside from that you sound like you already have a lot going for you. Stick to your talent and results will come I promise! Puberty towards 18 puts on powerful muscle if you train the right way, so just be persistent! And work hard! I want to see good things from you.

• 5 months later...

you know what i'm thinking? you ask your parents to get you a trackman fitting for you. then from your job or whatever, save up the money to get a better shaft.

you'll certainly increase your distance due to decreased backspin off the tee. also, don't be afraid to hit the gym and do some leg workouts (deadlifts, squats) and core excercises. you can keep your swing the same but you'll probably swing faster due to increased strength.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jpbernat25' timestamp='1381362858' post='7978283']
Hey I posted about this a while back on golfwrx and I've gotten alot of helpful info. I'm only 5'7" 145lbs and I consistently hit 380 and have reached 405 on a flat no wind assists or cart path hole. What I've seen helps is a longer shaft. If you know physics, you'll understand how it helps, but get a longer shaft, on your backswing go past parallel and feel yourself really pull your arms down through your swing. I have a little advantage because I used to play baseball and could swing harder than most people. What can actually help is to get something heavy and long like a metal rod or something like that and practice your swing power and mechanics! Don't lose your mechanics trying to gain distance!

But aside from that you sound like you already have a lot going for you. Stick to your talent and results will come I promise! Puberty towards 18 puts on powerful muscle if you train the right way, so just be persistent! And work hard! I want to see good things from you.
[/quote]

Simply swinging something heavy will not make much difference......ya gotta train your fast twitch . .....ie swing lighter....then heavier. Dr Greg Rose from TPI has evidence on this