The ballad of Jimmy Ballard...

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337564808' post='4948270']

The last two days I focused on pointing my left elbow down, as opposed to towards the target as usual. What a huge difference. I am most surprised by how it effects my back swing. It also allows me to sincerely feel the connection on my left shoulder (chest). One big thing I learned about the shoulder from Jimmy's book, it is not the point of our upper arm we call the shoulder. It is the big muscles of the chest and the back, the shoulder section. Using these big muscles is a different feel for me, but I am loving it so far. Just have to let go of some old (bad) ways. Namely an arm/wrist dominated swing in which I yanked the handle down from the top.

-Dan
[/quote]

You can make variation to either hook it (overdoing it) laid off (going right) or do it right and shape the ball. (connection left side)
You also need the proper pivot and a lower body to follow suit which modern theory sucks to do.

I advice to ask many, look for ideas around and build your own feel.
Watched the video posted previously and I got something from it.
Last piece of my 5 month dig it in the dirt quest.

when courses opens up here it be fun.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Thanks for chiming in man.

"When course opens up"...

You in Yellowknife or something?

tongue.gif

As for your advice, spot on, and I am fighting laid off and hitting pushes. Had wife record me on her iPhone the other day, I had got back towards my laid off position. I worked on my take away and position up top, made the triangle Jimmy's book/dvd teaches and had the shaft between my shoulder and neck, started hitting great shots. As I said earlier, it is not the new stuff I am learning that is difficult, it is letting go of my old bad habits. One swing at a time....

-Dan

Been planning on getting some film soon. I had intentionally stayed away from video initially. Been doing baby steps at the range, stance, trying to feel weight coil into right leg, getting to right position up top, etc.. I do need to see some 210 fps video and will post some before/after soon. While it will be some time before I do Jimmy justice, there should be some very apparent changes.

Also, it was brought to my attention this thread made the front pagedrinks.gif

Don't know what that means, but apparently someone is reading it. ha ha....

http://www.golfwrx.com/2012/05/21/the-ballad-of-jimmy-ballard-golfs-most-underrated-teacher/

-Dan

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337612453' post='4950604']
Thanks for chiming in man.

"When course opens up"...

You in Yellowknife or something?

[/quote]

Sweden up north, summer arrives this week with some heat.
gonna compete on Saturday the 26, hopefully I can manage a one or two rounds before that heh. :tease:

Golf God

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337003446' post='4910748']
My journey towards learning how to properly swing a golf club has introduced me to all kinds of stuff. I have attempted to understand books from many of the most well known teachers and players. The norm for me is that I get a pearl or two from each book, dvd, etc.. but I never find an entire blueprint to go by that I can believe in or perform. I also have several 'training' aids in my garage collecting dust. I have a shelf full of books and dvds in my office. Golf is truly inundated with snake oil.

Last week I spent two days down in Atlanta with Jim Grant at The Standard Club. Jim worked under Jimmy Ballard for years and teaches his connected golf swing as it is called. My intention originally was to attend Jimmy's 3 day golf school in Key Largo, Florida. He lives there and does about a half dozen schools each summer. Unfortunately, I was not able to make that trip. My research and contact with Jimmy Ballard and his wife led me to Jim Grant, long time friend and disciple of Jimmy Ballard.

So I am driving down I-85 last Tuesday morning. Wondering what (if anything) I will learn in the next two days. Worried that I have spent another grand on nothing substantial. Questioning my decision but at the same time holding on to the hope that this will be the real "aha" moment. As it turns out, I stuck gold. Every aspect of this trip was unreal. The facility was as nice as any I had seen and Jim was a breath of fresh air. He smiled, explained fallacies of the golf swing, and told fascinating stories about his days on the PGA tour. The whole time he just kept rolling balls out in front of me on the range offering a tiny suggestion or feeling that would help me out.

During the two days, he taught me the basics of Jimmy Ballard's swing principles. I drove home with a new outlook on golf and 15 pages of notes in a notebook. There is not one phase written down that I don't understand. A first in my pursuit of golf proficiency. If I miss, I know what caused it. If I hit a perfect shot, I know what caused it. If I push the ball, I know one of two reasons for my doing so. For a lack of better terminology, I feel empowered. In contrast, every other lesson I had ended in me riding home with my head spinning trying to remember what I was taught and wondering how I would be able to process and hold on to the information.

A few years back I bought Bobby Clampett's book, "The Impact Zone". Until getting Jimmy Ballard's book and dvd recently, "The Impact Zone" was the book that had the biggest impact (pun intended) on my golf swing. Cliff notes for the yellow book some say, his book was (and still is) very valuable to me. I even bought the yellow book, but couldn't understand it. In the end, I can say I agree with many of TGM principles, I just can't digest or employ the material. Unfortunately, my experience doesn't seem that rare.

I even dabbled in S&T recently. More specifically a hitting pattern that blended components of S&T with TGM principles. At 6'6" 300 lbs, I had a very hard time physically doing what was asked of me. My instructor, local, was fantastic. And to his credit, when I did what he asked of me, I made very solid and consistent contact. But in the end, low back pain forced me to abandon the swing. I am sure S&T will work for many, but for me, it just wasn't meant to be.

In contrast, reading Jimmy's book and watching his one hour dvd is more like having a beer with a friend. Casual conversation, loaded with facts, pictures, and references to all the greats in the game. Much reference (and reverence) is given to Ben Hogan. It is a very simple approach to something I have admittingly made harder than it needed to be. A basic athletic motion with a few (7) key concepts. None of which seem contrived or require super human flexibility, timing, or athleticism. My main obstacle is simply undoing all the damage I have done to my golf swing before hearing of Jimmy Ballard.

Interestingly enough, all this originates with Babe Ruth of all people. A tip (hankerchief under left arm) he gave a team mate (Sam Byrd) who later won 25 events on the PGA tour after retiring from baseball. The same guy that helped Ben Hogan. He taught it to Jimmy way back when and it gave birth to Jimmy Ballard as a teacher. We likely would have never heard of Curtis Strange or Hal Sutton had Sam Byrd not taught Jimmy Ballard what Babe Ruth taught him way back when. A fascinating story, truly. But as I said, most importantly, it just makes sense.

My time with Jimmy's swing principles has been brief and I hesitated to make this post to be honest. But in the two weeks since seeing the dvd and only six days since spending time with Jim Grant, my golf swing has already changed. I still have not read the book in it's entirety. I am 39 years old and have been playing golf on some level of consistency since I was in high school. I have hit shots in the last week that I never thought possible. The contact is more solid, I am one club longer, and the trajectory is higher. For the first time, I am consistently getting out of bunkers. My driver is finding the fairway more than usual. Golf is not rocket science I am finding out. The odd thing, I feel like I am doing less, not more, to facilitate this.

I started this thread to see if anyone else has benefited from Jimmy Ballard's teachings. Also, thought it would be good to make other struggling golfers aware of someone that the golf community in general has not acknowledged as much as would seem deserved. To make a very long story short, some of Jimmy's principles defy what is commonly taught by the PGA and it's stable of highly qualified instructors. Being that the average handicap has not been lowered in recent decades, I find this to be more of a reason to see what Jimmy has to offer, not the other way around.

Very interesting article below about Jimmy Ballard for anyone interested....

[url="http://www.departures.com/articles/ballad-of-jimmy-ballard"]http://www.departures.com/articles/ballad-of-jimmy-ballard[/url]

-Dan
[/quote]
Ballard was the first instuction DVD I owned and taught my self 28yrs ago connection is the key too consistency using the bigger muscle to rely on in your swing. You see pro at the driving range with head covers and towel tuck up underneath there upper arm this is jimmy ballard teaching

I see Jimmy is doing some golf schools across the Midwest in case it interest anyone...

[list][*][size="3"][color="#339966"]July 15[/color] - St. Louis area - WingHaven Country Club[/size][*][size="3"]Contact: Barbara Blanchar [url="http://www.jimmyballardgolf.com/id65.html#"]phone[/url]: 314-973-8428 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size][*] [/list][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][list][*][size="3"][color="#339966"]July 18 [/color]- Chicago area - Bittersweet Golf Club - Gurnee IL[/size][*][size="3"]Contact: John Kiriakopoulos phone: 847-855-9031 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size][/list][left] [/left]

[list][*][size="3"] [color="#339966"]July 20[/color] - Chicago area - Balmoral Woods Country Club - Crete IL[/size][*][size="3"]Contact: Bill Abrams phone: 630-926-4554 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size][/list][left] [/left]

[left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][list][*][size="3"][color="#339966"]August 1[/color] - Columbus OH - OSU Golf Club - Columbus OH[/size][*][size="3"]Contact: Brian Kelly phone: 614-292-9148 or email [color="#000000"][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/color][/size][/list][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left][size="2"]More info...[/size][/left][left] [/left][left][url="http://www.jimmyballardgolf.com/id65.html"]http://www.jimmyball...f.com/id65.html[/url][/left]

I spoke with Jimmy today myself. I emailed him a copy of this thread. Just my way of saying I appreciate your contributions to golf instruction and while only a few weeks in, I am getting better due to your work. I got an email back this morning with a phone number and request to call him so we could talk. He discussed the golf swing in general terms, made it sound so easy, so natural, etc.. He asked how my progress was coming and cautioned me about letting old habits creep in, told me to be on the watch for certain set backs.

Ironically, I had caught one of them on my wife's iPhone video the other day. I was getting laid off up top, although other aspects of my swing were somewhat consistent with Jimmy's methods. Talk about wheels falling off, a quick fix in the back swing, balls started flying long and fairly straight again. It was funny hearing Jimmy warn me of this very likely hood. He said to be patient and take it one day at a time. He told me about how some students will do some things right, yet let some old habits derail their success.

He then said something that blew me away. He will be closer to me at a time this summer and invited me to come see him (on his vacation) for a free golf lesson. I offered to pay, flattered by the opportunity to see him, but he refused. He told me that he teaches golf to help people like me. And if that wasn't enough, he told me to email him some fresh video of my swing so he could be sure I was moving in the right direction. If there is a more classy man in golf, I have yet to meet him.

-Dan

The two biggest things that have helped me these past few days are left elbow pointing down at address and much lighter grip pressure.

I don't know what the heck the left elbow does, but I am more consistently taking the club away in a connected fashion due to this change. I can feel my left bicep against my left pectoral muscle at address. Weird at first, I am quickly growing to like it. I would like to thank the gentleman that posted the old Tiburon post earlier. There were some pearls in that contribution that I am still working through. The left elbow pointing down was a biggie for me. Thank you!!

As for the grip pressure, for me personally, it has helped me stop pulling the handle down from up top. That alone is paying big dividends. There is a benefit on the down swing as well, a very nice, yet unfamiliar whip crack at the bottom. I was doing this tonight at the range and found some effortless distance with my middle irons. More importantly, shots were flying straighter. Seems I have inadvertently improved my release and follow through.

-Dan

Great post. Congrats on your progress!

I don't think JB is underrated... his methods are time tested.

I did my best to swing in his vein for the better part of a decade... I loved Hal Sutton's swing... Strange's swing and Colbert's too...

I'm no pro... but when I'm on did shoot in the mid-to-high 70s.

NO... Ballard does not teach a sway... hate when he's characterized that way.

I went through the Colbert-Ballard school in MI and had a lesson with a guy Jimmy suggested who lives in the Toronto area... there were positions suggested to me that I couldn't achieve comfortably... perhaps a flexibility issue on my part...

I moved away from this method when i discovered Geoff Jones on this site... Geoff really respects Ballard... but does point out some flaws with the Ballard method...

In my 30+ years of golf... i think Geoff's stuff is really good... i got more out of his stuff than anything I've heard or read... wish I had the ability to visit in person.

Golf is a journey for me... lately I've been using Hardy's one plane method... only because a pro up here can teach it... and i can't afford to visit Geoff or Jimmy. We work a lot on grip and alignment... basic stuff.

Good luck everyone on your golf journey... and don't ignore your short game putting...

[quote name='Arnsybill' timestamp='1337817344' post='4967202']
Geoff really respects Ballard... but does point out some flaws with the Ballard method...
[/quote]

I would like to think Geoff has a difference of opinion on some aspects of JB's swing, rather than calling them "flaws".

Flaws don't win back to back US Opens (Curtis Strange 88' and 89').

I too hold Geoff in high regard, had a nice chat on the phone last month.

-Dan

This thread is an interesting one re. Ballard pros and cons.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/112-jimmy-ballard/page__hl__jimmy+ballard"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/112-jimmy-ballard/page__hl__jimmy+ballard[/url]

I think you've posted here before.

Personally i found the rotational type release a little more consistent for me.

You are lucky to have a JB instructor close to home.

Cheers,

Yeah man, that is an exceptional thread loaded with good info and gave birth to my interest (and awareness) of Jimmy Ballard.

There are many different opinions (key word) voiced in that thread which made for some fruitful dialogue.

Point being, "pro", "con", "flaw", etc.. are all merely opinions.

Winning back to back US Opens (and dozens of other PGA events) is fact.

That is all I was saying, not trying to foster tempered conversation. Typed dialogue can be difficult at times.

Many different ways to swing a golf club, certainly some folks will do better with some methods than others, but that doesn't make the other methods flawed.

-Dan

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337899811' post='4973166']

Many different ways to swing a golf club, certainly some folks will do better with some methods than others, but that doesn't make the other methods flawed.

-Dan
[/quote]

Great post Dan! Agree 100%.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I know I am late to the thread here but I will just say I first was exposed to the Ballard methodology in the mid 90's at a Colbert Ballard Golf School in Northern California. After about 6 months of working with a certified JB instructor I was playing the best golf of my life. Moved, could not find a Ballard instructor, strayed from the path. You know the drill.

Then found a pro here in Ohio who had been taught by JB directly, was a PGA tour pro for a while and he got me back on track. Then the pro left for Arizona and I wasback in the same boat.

For my 40th birthday I went to Jimmy's 3 day school in Key Largo and it was one of the best experiences of my life. This was no typical golf school where the instructor talks a couple times a day and then leaves while you work with his team. Jimmy was there all day and worked hands on with all the students and instructors. Another cool thing for me was the other 8 students were couples, husband and wife teams that had traveled together from Central FLA. Every day after lunch Jimmy gave us the choice of going out to the course with one of his team and playing or staying at the range with him, well for all three afternoons the other 8 chose the course while I satyed with Jimmy at the range and received one on one instruction. The great thing for me was Jimmy knew he had no one near me for instruction geographically so he taught me many drills and practice routines to ensure I was keeping with the theory and not letting my game get off track.

The last day Jimmy asked me if we were leaving right away( I went with my wife but she didn't attend the school). I told him we were staying one more day then heading down to Key West, he invited me to drop by the range in the morning, said he had a new student coming by and it might be fun for me to learn a few things from both of them . When I got to the range the next morning there was Jimmy with Rocco Mediate. Needless to say it was a cool couple of hours.

The other thing that stuck out to me other than the instruction from the first two days was Jimmy literally told all 9 of us during lunch one day that Tiger would start to have injury problems later in his career if he did not change the way he swung due to the type of stress he was putting on his body swinging the way he did. Seems like he was right about that one too.

I do think Jimmy's extremely underrated, FWIW his opinion on why he didn't get the publicity other instructors did was his theories and opinions were too out of the mainstream and flew in the face of too many of the long taught "truths" like hold your head still and keep your left arm straight etc etc. and that made a lot of the establishment try to diminish him. I guess that's for each individual to decide whether that's true or not.

The connected swing may not be for everyone, no swing theory probably is. For me I love the simplicity of it, the repeatability of it and lack of stress put on my lower back.

BTW for those really interested in the connected swing Jimmy will tell you it did not start really with him, but with a guy names Sam Byrd who was a former Yankee baseball player (Babe Ruth's roommate) turned golf pro. Interesting stuff reading about old Sammy too. To put it simply he felt the golf swing was no different than swinging a baseball bat, just simply on a different plane.

This has been a great post, thanks Dan, and remarkably civil when it comes to this site and discussing swing theory.

Do you feel this swing better suits a taller golfer?

Civility...

I too take great pride in the fact that this entire thread has remained civil. We all know how some of these golf swing threads turn out. The one consistency I have noticed over the years, often the folks with the most derogatory and insidious comments have a very poor understanding of the subject matter. Yet they blast TGM, S&T, whatever, and the results are always predictable. It derails an otherwise productive conversation among folks that actually care about the topic at hand.

While we all have varying opinions, it speaks well of this forum that we can discuss things in a positive manner. This thread is a shining example of such behavior. This Jimmy Ballard thread has gotten lots of attention, was placed on Golfwrx home page, and even the person it is about has read it and commented to me personally.

Score one point for Golfwrx contributing members, zero for the hecklers and naysayersdrinks.gif

Swing...

As for Jimmy Ballard's swing being more suited to tall golfers, I honestly couldn't say. I do know that some of the other stuff I have tried, to include instruction from three excellent instructors (David Orr, Jeff Evans, and Eddie Cox) proved difficult for me to do physically. But in all fairness, I am a tall overweight 39 year old and at 6'6" and 300 lbs, many of the challenges I face in golf are due to my physique. The thing about Jimmy's swing that works for me, it reminds me of other sports I played growing up. Basketball, baseball, and football were all sports I excelled at. I always considered myself an athlete and of above average coordination for a person my size.

But when I began playing golf, it was hard, and it stayed hard even though I practiced and made a sincere effort to improve. Sure, I had my moments, I would learn something and improve incrementally. But I never hit the course with any realistic chance of shooting in the 70's, my unofficial marker that separates the good golfers from the rest of us. Eddie Cox, whom I took lessons from prior to trying the Jimmy Ballard stuff, had me believing I was capable of shooting in the 70's very soon. I was striking the ball better than ever, but a specific part of the pattern he was teaching me was more than my back could take.

With my head hung low, I began searching for another way to achieve my goal of shooting in the 70's. I spoke with Geoff Jones at length a while back. He was very impressive and his reputation here is excellent. I then read about Jimmy Ballard and wondered how in the heck have I not heard of this guy. I started reading old comments from him, old articles, testimony from PGA greats he had taught, a few youtube videos, then my curiosity was soaring. I bought his book and dvd and immediately knew this guy was the real deal. My BS meter didn't go off one single time during the one hour dvd, a first for me. Jimmy says what he means, means what he says, believes what he teaches, and it radiates out of his every pore.

The following week I spent two days (4 hour lesson each day) in Atlanta with Jim Grant, a long time protege of Jimmy Ballard. I rode home from Atlanta with a wide smile for I knew I had found what I was looking for, the missing link so to speak. Even with just a few days invested, I knew I had found something that I was physically capable of doing. For the first time in my golfing career, I didn't feel like a gorilla on the tricycle. Jim, in a casual and effortless fashion, told me everything I had been doing wrong since I started playing golf. He explained to me why pulling the handle, keeping my left arm straight, head still, etc.. had ruined any chance I had of making a natural athletic motion.

In the two weeks since I have literally gotten better every day. I played a tough course up in Raleigh today, Lonnie Poole (NC State University course). I hit two greens from over 200 yards away. I can honestly say I have never done that before in my life. I am not talking about shots that end up on the green, I am talking about 210-215 yard lasers with a perfect trajectory sticking 10-15 feet from the pin. And this is with the 'somewhat' Jimmy Ballard swing I currently possess.

I am working very hard on the first 3-4 principles (of 7) at this point and understand how much the later principles will further my success. I am mostly getting rid of old habits now and trying to get the club to the proper position up top, then not yank the handle down. That alone has paid huge dividends and 2-3 shots out of ten, I am hearing a "Crack" sound at impact that is foreign to me. Every time I hear that sound, I hit one of the best shots of my life. My goal in coming weeks and months is to do this 8 or 9 times out of ten. I shot in the low to mid 90's forever and I will be shooting in the 70's soon. Feels good to be able to finally say that after 25 years of golfing off and on. So to answer your question, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

-Dan

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337906791' post='4973670']

Feels good to be able to finally say that after 25 years of golfing off and on. So to answer your question, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

-Dan
[/quote]

Solved the swing for myself, next the world :russian_roulette:
Its a lot about doing the work with a good guide.
5 months of work, now time to play.

Golf God

• 2 weeks later...

I find it very odd that you have never even worked directly with Jimmy but have gone over and above in your efforts to promote him and his upcoming schools.. Not only here but on the sandtrap website as well. No good teachers in the Pinehurst area, huh? While you think Jimmy is a nice guy who gives free lessons the truth is he charges $300 an hour for his "wizardry." The idea that you got some magic beans in one weekend is just ridiculous. Unless you have tournament results and video to backup your amazing improvement ? Your post sounds like an infomercial. Any teacher can get someone to improve in the short run, no different than someone can get a sugar pill and feel better. The question is how is the player 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years from now? there is always a honeymoon effect with a relationship and no different with golf instruction. And there are no shortcuts unless you have a lot of natural talent. Lets see you work with jimmy or jim grant for 18 months to 2 years and play the North Carolina Amateur and then report back. If you could qualify...

First off, I spent several months working with Jimmy directly when lived in South Florida in 2005. Jimmy seemed nice at first but after awhile his huge ego (my wife doesnt feel well, so no video today,, im too imortant to work a camera), and negativity (every player and instructor who doesnt do what I teach is dumb) made me uneasy. Unlike previous posters I have gotten to hear every tall tale first hand. Yes, like he invented a machine to hit perfect golf shots but the machine was stolen. Yes, Like Sam Byrd was Hogans coach (zero proof of this). Yes, like JIm Colbert shared a car with Jack Nicklaus before the 86 Masters and told him about connection. JImmy spent most lessons going on and on about how every other instruction template is wrong, and how dumb every other teacher is. he was obsessed with Tiger, and would go on rants about how Tiger sucked and was only good b/c he was juicing. See Jimmy is so important that he spent the early nineties forming his cult and training hundred of high school dropouts to be ballard zombies to travel the country spreading his gospel (Colbert Ballard schools) . Thats what the Ballard thing feels like, a cult. I'll admit he has a great schtick. Buy the swing connector (the $60 strap is much better than a glove).Drink the Kool Aid!

Jimmy is not only the worlds best instructor in his mind, but he is a doctor and a physicist as well(no degrees needed). So therefore he knows his theories are correct and any other theory is wrong. Man, life is so easy when you are 100 percent right about everything.

See there is no turn allowed in the golf swing. When you work with Jimmy you are not allowed to turn your hips (its a dirsty 4 letter word, not good player turns thier hips..lol). He would have you move your belt buckle laterally only. You had to set up "level". you had to have a ridiculously upright swing (stand up, butt against the wall and swing-jimmys favorite). From the top of the swing after you have moved 6 to 8 inches off the ball you had to tuck your left elbow in and face the target as quick as possible. According to JImmy there is no slide in the downswing...funny when I draw a line on the left hip of good players there hip moves considrably forward of its starting point. How could that be? There are tons of great players who hit the wall, especially with longer clubs. According to Jimmy you have to move up on the downswing to hit down..sorry, again good players dont do his. their heads move down on the downswing...

If people can get better with Jimmy then God Bless them. Golf is a hard game to get improvement with. But before you throw down 700 bucks for a 4 hour group lesson or $300 an hour with Jimmy I would take a hard look in your local area as thier are many great PLAYERS who teach golf. While Jimmy wants to convince people that his way is the only way and everyone is wrong its just not the case. You can look up and down the PGA tour for proof.

[quote name='nagroc6987' timestamp='1339430954' post='5067190']
I find it very odd that you have never even worked directly with Jimmy but have gone over and above in your efforts to promote him and his upcoming schools.. Not only here but on the sandtrap website as well. No good teachers in the Pinehurst area, huh? While you think Jimmy is a nice guy who gives free lessons the truth is he charges $300 an hour for his "wizardry." The idea that you got some magic beans in one weekend is just ridiculous. Unless you have tournament results and video to backup your amazing improvement ? Your post sounds like an infomercial. Any teacher can get someone to improve in the short run, no different than someone can get a sugar pill and feel better. The question is how is the player 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years from now? there is always a honeymoon effect with a relationship and no different with golf instruction. And there are no shortcuts unless you have a lot of natural talent. Lets see you work with jimmy or jim grant for 18 months to 2 years and play the North Carolina Amateur and then report back. If you could qualify...

First off, I spent several months working with Jimmy directly when lived in South Florida in 2005. Jimmy seemed nice at first but after awhile his huge ego (my wife doesnt feel well, so no video today,, im too imortant to work a camera), and negativity (every player and instructor who doesnt do what I teach is dumb) made me uneasy. Unlike previous posters I have gotten to hear every tall tale first hand. Yes, like he invented a machine to hit perfect golf shots but the machine was stolen. Yes, Like Sam Byrd was Hogans coach (zero proof of this). Yes, like JIm Colbert shared a car with Jack Nicklaus before the 86 Masters and told him about connection. JImmy spent most lessons going on and on about how every other instruction template is wrong, and how dumb every other teacher is. he was obsessed with Tiger, and would go on rants about how Tiger sucked and was only good b/c he was juicing. See Jimmy is so important that he spent the early nineties forming his cult and training hundred of high school dropouts to be ballard zombies to travel the country spreading his gospel (Colbert Ballard schools) . Thats what the Ballard thing feels like, a cult. I'll admit he has a great schtick. Buy the swing connector (the $60 strap is much better than a glove).Drink the Kool Aid!

Jimmy is not only the worlds best instructor in his mind, but he is a doctor and a physicist as well(no degrees needed). So therefore he knows his theories are correct and any other theory is wrong. Man, life is so easy when you are 100 percent right about everything.

See there is no turn allowed in the golf swing. When you work with Jimmy you are not allowed to turn your hips (its a dirsty 4 letter word, not good player turns thier hips..lol). He would have you move your belt buckle laterally only. You had to set up "level". you had to have a ridiculously upright swing (stand up, butt against the wall and swing-jimmys favorite). From the top of the swing after you have moved 6 to 8 inches off the ball you had to tuck your left elbow in and face the target as quick as possible. According to JImmy there is no slide in the downswing...funny when I draw a line on the left hip of good players there hip moves considrably forward of its starting point. How could that be? There are tons of great players who hit the wall, especially with longer clubs. According to Jimmy you have to move up on the downswing to hit down..sorry, again good players dont do his. their heads move down on the downswing...

If people can get better with Jimmy then God Bless them. Golf is a hard game to get improvement with. But before you throw down 700 bucks for a 4 hour group lesson or $300 an hour with Jimmy I would take a hard look in your local area as thier are many great PLAYERS who teach golf. While Jimmy wants to convince people that his way is the only way and everyone is wrong its just not the case. You can look up and down the PGA tour for proof.
[/quote]
nagroc6987
.I do not doubt that you know the Ballard swing and the organization of his schools much better than most people on this board,certainly better than i do.And Mr Ballard does have a large ego and can be difficult to deal with ..I also have trouble with Mr Ballard's swing ideas for many of the SAME reasons that you cited in your post,so i am not really arguing with most of your post , What i have trouble with is your overall negative tone towards Dan.If you have followed Dan's struggle over the years ,you would realize that Dan is a "good guy' just looking to improve his golf game and not a shill for Mr ballard .He has seen a number of instructors ,but Mr Grant's instruction seems to have helped him the most.There is no doubt that longer term results are what is more important so we shall see.I hope that you join many of the rest of us to wish that this instruction is the one that finally results in lasting improvement for Dan

A couple of rude posts towards a man who obviously loves the game and is just trying to have more fun. Ballard may not be for everybody, but he has obviously helped a lot of players including a US Open Champion. I hope it sticks for Dan, and if it doesn't, I hope he keeps finding teachers who get him this excited about the game.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1339676067' post='5090570']
A couple of rude posts towards a man who obviously loves the game and is just trying to have more fun. Ballard may not be for everybody, but he has obviously helped a lot of players including a US Open Champion. I hope it sticks for Dan, and if it doesn't, I hope he keeps finding teachers who get him this excited about the game.

Kevin
[/quote]

I agree, a couple turds trying to spoil the thread. Dan is like many of us, searching for answers to this maddening game. Obviously he is excited about the positive results he has seen from his time with the Ballard swing and he has been kind enough to share his experience with it. Maybe it will or won't stick at the end but I applaud him for getting into it fully and sharing his thoughts so that it may help influence others positively.