The ballad of Jimmy Ballard...

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1349904790' post='5777877']
It is a fantastic book that helped me immensely during my pursuit to understand TGM. Some call it TGM for dummies. I even bought the dvds and they complimented the book very well and explained things that I had a hard time with. And I have no problem with TGM, just for me, it was kind of hard to understand. I bought Ben Doyles dvds, the yellow book, read a lot on Lynn Blake forums, and got the Impact Zone book/dvd. By far, it was Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone that I found easiest to digest. Ironically, the single thing I ever did to help my putting game the most was read The Impact Zone. The flat left wrist made me a better putter than I ever would have thought possible.

Love the Avatar:)
[/quote]
It is a fantastic book that helped me immensely during my pursuit to understand TGM. Some call it TGM for dummies. I even bought the dvds and they complimented the book very well and explained things that I had a hard time with. And I have no problem with TGM, just for me, it was kind of hard to understand. I bought Ben Doyles dvds, the yellow book, read a lot on Lynn Blake forums, and got the Impact Zone book/dvd. By far, it was Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone that I found easiest to digest. Ironically, the single thing I ever did to help my putting game the most was read The Impact Zone. The flat left wrist made me a better putter than I ever would have thought possible.

[/quote]

Dan the Man,

Great to see you are still on the journey! Screw everybody else and do what you feel is best for you. Thanks for never bashing my methodology and placing our incompatibility modestly in your camp. Hey, I'm not for everybody...perhaps for only a few, but I believe what I believe. Captured another US Kids World Championship with Emilie Paltrinieri from Italy this past August!!!!!! She is the REAL DEAL and will succeed as long as she wants it!!!!
I've returned to Tot Hill as the Director of Golf. You told me you were a fan of the course. Come up and visit anytime!!

EC

Tot Hill? Sweet man. Played there a few months back with Lightningbolt (posted above). Going back real soon, perhaps next week. Will be sure to find you of course when I drop in. Glad to have a positive contribution to this thread. I started shooting in the 80's under your tutelage and always enjoyed the lessons you gave. I have enormous respect for you and your understanding of the golf swing. However, golf is pretty hard for tall fat folk though and some positions seemed harder for me to get into than I would have preferred. I think that is one of the things that has me succeeding with Jimmy Ballard. The movement seems more natural to me and I can play without any tension or pain. As you can attest, I don't have the physique of the average recreational golfer. Look forward to seeing you up at Tot Hill.

-Dan

[/quote]

Thanks. I wear it proudly, even after the 86. What did you think of Doyle's dvd's?

I think a lot of the genius within Ben Doyle. The dvd's however were not so hot. Very low budget kind of stuff, lots of rambling, and such. With that said, there was some meat on the bone and a person with more TGM knowledge than I would have likely got more out of the 'ramblings'. Ben was Bobby's teacher and one of the first TGM guys as I understand it. That alone was enough to peak my curiosity into Ben Doyle. Very classy guy that replies to his own emails and autographed the dvds.

Thanks for the thread, good stuff. Reading through this thread has given me some more ideas to work on.

I had a little "aha" moment last weekend trying to hit the ball with an 18" windup and kind of stumbled on the "connected" part with a one-piece takeaway and a lateral hip movement. I also felt a lot of work going on with the lats and a lot of coiling and tension in the core. This resulted in the longest and straightest shots I've hit yet.

I'm not sure that his swing is the end-all, be-all though. Hip rotation seems to be important in generating power. Look at McIlroy and Sadlowski...both of them have huge hip rotation which allows them to generate about as much power as anyone could generate. But part of me thinks that might be an "advanced" move that takes either a lot of practice, God-given athletic talent, or both to be able to square up the clubface and trace the path.

So for us mere mortals, maybe starting off with minimal rotation in the hips would be a good idea, like Slicefixer's 9-to-3 drill. Start with a simple swing with fewer moving parts, and then build from there.

TaylorMade R580 10.5* & 15*
Cobra Amp Cell 3-4H
Cobra Amp Cell 4-GW
TaylorMade ATV 54* & 58*
TaylorMade Ghost Spider

Much of what you say above is very interesting to me. As I continue learning Jimmy Ballard's principles, I find myself swinging the club in a very different way than in the past. For a lack of better articulation, 'when' I do things correctly, I literally feel like I am hitting the ball with my chest. Sounds stupid I concede, but that is honestly what it feels like. Feel being the most subjective word of all time of course, but that is the feel I have. The end result is very consistent when I put the pieces together. Laser beams that require very little effort. I will be working hard on the 7 principles in the coming months. I am very excited to see where my golf game is come spring. No swing style, method, technique, etc.. comes without hard work and some perhaps are more suited to some body types, ability levels, talent, amount of time to invest, etc.. but I am convinced Jimmy Ballard has much to offer. He has rejuvenated my interest in golf as I now realize I have the ability to play good golf. For me, my personal goal is to simply shoot consistently in the 70's. Not a goal I thought was obtainable until recently.

-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1350082412' post='5787017']
Much of what you say above is very interesting to me. As I continue learning Jimmy Ballard's principles, I find myself swinging the club in a very different way than in the past. For a lack of better articulation, 'when' I do things correctly, I literally feel like I am hitting the ball with my chest. Sounds stupid I concede, but that is honestly what it feels like. Feel being the most subjective word of all time of course, but that is the feel I have. The end result is very consistent when I put the pieces together. Laser beams that require very little effort. I will be working hard on the 7 principles in the coming months. I am very excited to see where my golf game is come spring. No swing style, method, technique, etc.. comes without hard work and some perhaps are more suited to some body types, ability levels, talent, amount of time to invest, etc.. but I am convinced Jimmy Ballard has much to offer. He has rejuvenated my interest in golf as I now realize I have the ability to play good golf. For me, my personal goal is to simply shoot consistently in the 70's. Not a goal I thought was obtainable until recently.

-Dan
[/quote]look forward to some tournament results..if you are hitting laser beams and shooting in the seventies qualifying for NC amateur should be a walk in the park next spring. They should actually give you the trophy right now, it wont be a fair fight if you are under the tutelage of Ballard while everyone else is in the dark as far as thier swings go. If Tim Finchem approved the swingshirt and VHarness legal for play i think you could be on the tour . troy Matteson leads in Maylasia...

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1351280931' post='5850947']
mike_sims=troll. Adds nothing, promotes incivility. Ignore him Dan, I have enjoyed your posts over the years, and you honesty about what you've done is refreshing.
[/quote]
To repeat my previous comments,Dan is not a wise a** promoting or bashing anyone .He is just a golfer who SINCERELY want to improve.If Mr Ballard's ideas are his ticket ,more power to him

[quote name='mike_sims' timestamp='1351268220' post='5849869']
Much of what you say above is very interesting to me. As I continue learning Jimmy Ballard's principles, I find myself swinging the club in a very different way than in the past. For a lack of better articulation, 'when' I do things correctly, I literally feel like I am hitting the ball with my chest. Sounds stupid I concede, but that is honestly what it feels like. Feel being the most subjective word of all time of course, but that is the feel I have. The end result is very consistent when I put the pieces together. Laser beams that require very little effort. I will be working hard on the 7 principles in the coming months. I am very excited to see where my golf game is come spring. No swing style, method, technique, etc.. comes without hard work and some perhaps are more suited to some body types, ability levels, talent, amount of time to invest, etc.. but I am convinced Jimmy Ballard has much to offer. He has rejuvenated my interest in golf as I now realize I have the ability to play good golf. For me, my personal goal is to simply shoot consistently in the 70's. Not a goal I thought was obtainable until rece

-Dan

[/quote]look forward to some tournament results..if you are hitting laser beams and shooting in the seventies qualifying for NC amateur should be a walk in the park next spring. They should actually give you the trophy right now, it wont be a fair fight if you are under the tutelage of Ballard while everyone else is in the dark as far as thier swings go. If Tim Finchem approved the swingshirt and VHarness legal for play i think you could be on the tour . troy Matteson leads in Maylasia...
[/quote]

LOL! You mad, bro? Or are you just a ****head?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Congratulations, Dan! First of all, I applaud any teaching -- method or otherwise -- that reinvigorates one's passion for the game. Secondly, I wouldn't consider Ballard's teachings a "method." To me, maintaining connection, loading and storing energy, and releasing the hell out of that energy is how most of us would prefer to play the game. Jimmy Ballard was regarded as a snake oil salesman 30 years ago when he first publicized his theories. Over the past three decades, Jimmy hasn't wavered an inch and, instead, mainstream instruction has come to him. Those who think he teaches a sway don't really understand what he is trying to communicate. I don't consider myself a "right-sider," but I still go back to the basics of the connected swing when I get in trouble. It's a simple, efficient way to swing. Even more important is that Ballard teaches a swing that doesn't stress the back so much, allowing guys such as Rocco Mediate, who almost had to give up the game because of back pain, to extend their careers.

Anyway, glad you're hitting it well and understanding what's making you do so. Most of all, seems like you're having fun again. And that's what it's supposed to be about.

Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50g R
Callaway Epic Max 3w, 5w, 7w, 9w, all stock R flex

Callaway Apex DCB, 6-A. Stock graphite, R flex.
Titleist Vokey SM8, 54-12/58-8
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Seven Toe Up Putter
Taylormade TP5x

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1351290573' post='5851737']
Much of what you say above is very interesting to me. As I continue learning Jimmy Ballard's principles, I find myself swinging the club in a very different way than in the past. For a lack of better articulation, 'when' I do things correctly, I literally feel like I am hitting the ball with my chest. Sounds stupid I concede, but that is honestly what it feels like. Feel being the most subjective word of all time of course, but that is the feel I have. The end result is very consistent when I put the pieces together. Laser beams that require very little effort. I will be working hard on the 7 principles in the coming months. I am very excited to see where my golf game is come spring. No swing style, method, technique, etc.. comes without hard work and some perhaps are more suited to some body types, ability levels, talent, amount of time to invest, etc.. but I am convinced Jimmy Ballard has much to offer. He has rejuvenated my interest in golf as I now realize I have the ability to play good golf. For me, my personal goal is to simply shoot consistently in the 70's. Not a goal I thought was obtainable until rece

-Dan

[/quote]

[/quote]

i guess if someone is going to hype something, a swing aid, a teaching method they should have clear results as oppossed to coming on here talkin about how great they are hitting it. everyone hits is great on the range, by themselves hitting 3 balls on teh course and hitting the best one when there is no pressure. lets see dan put his money where his mouth is and play a legitimate tournament. Otherwise this is all hype and hope. If asking someone to backup thier big talk makes me a troll then so be it. But I also have played enough tournament golf to know there is a big difference from the pretenders and the contenders...i know that most people once there is an ounce of pressure most of thier big talk goes away and reality comes crashing down.

[quote name='mike_sims' timestamp='1352140951' post='5894467']
[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1351290573' post='5851737']

-Dan

[/quote]

[/quote]

i guess if someone is going to hype something, a swing aid, a teaching method they should have clear results as oppossed to coming on here talkin about how great they are hitting it. everyone hits is great on the range, by themselves hitting 3 balls on teh course and hitting the best one when there is no pressure. lets see dan put his money where his mouth is and play a legitimate tournament. Otherwise this is all hype and hope. If asking someone to backup thier big talk makes me a troll then so be it. But I also have played enough tournament golf to know there is a big difference from the pretenders and the contenders...i know that most people once there is an ounce of pressure most of thier big talk goes away and reality comes crashing down.
[/quote]

[sup][url="http://golfnetonline.net/livescoring/livescoring.aspx?tournamentid=323"]http://golfnetonline.net/livescoring/livescoring.aspx?tournamentid=323[/url][/sup]

[sup]Come on, i expect to see you at this next May. You should qualify no problem. is this a lot to ask from a guy who talks such a big game? Inspire us[/sup]

[quote name='mike_sims' timestamp='1352140951' post='5894467']
[/quote]

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. I don't see Dan posting about his new found ability to strike the golf ball in an egotistical/bragging self serving I'm better than everyone else king of way. I see a guy who has put in a lot of effort into his game and struggled to find something that works well for him on a consistent basis and doesn't cause pain. He finally found something that works really well for him and he is excited to come share his personal discovery and triumph with us.

What makes you seem like a troll is you coming on and posting negative condescending comments that don't provide anything of value to the forum.

[url="http://www.jimmyballardgolf.com/catalog/i5.html"]http://www.jimmyballardgolf.com/catalog/i5.html[/url]

you guys should buy this. i know you all own the connector, the practice glove, the vharness, the swing shirt, jimmys dvds and have gone from hackers to scratch but this will take your game to a + 5, possibly the tour. Jimmy's practice aids are shear genius. The last time I was down in Key largo he brought me into his labratory and gave me a glimpse at a prototype training aid he was working on. I stepped into the contraption and hit balls for several hours in it and have not missed a shot since returning. Its the golf equivalent of what EPO and human growth hormone is to cycling in the tour de france. Look for this aid in 2013..i wish i could say more but Jimmy swore me to secrecy.

[quote name='jp5612' timestamp='1351303259' post='5852735']
Congratulations, Dan! First of all, I applaud any teaching -- method or otherwise -- that reinvigorates one's passion for the game. Secondly, I wouldn't consider Ballard's teachings a "method." To me, maintaining connection, loading and storing energy, and releasing the hell out of that energy is how most of us would prefer to play the game. Jimmy Ballard was regarded as a snake oil salesman 30 years ago when he first publicized his theories. Over the past three decades, Jimmy hasn't wavered an inch and, instead, mainstream instruction has come to him. Those who think he teaches a sway don't really understand what he is trying to communicate. I don't consider myself a "right-sider," but I still go back to the basics of the connected swing when I get in trouble. It's a simple, efficient way to swing. Even more important is that Ballard teaches a swing that doesn't stress the back so much, allowing guys such as Rocco Mediate, who almost had to give up the game because of back pain, to extend their careers.

Anyway, glad you're hitting it well and understanding what's making you do so. Most of all, seems like you're having fun again. And that's what it's supposed to be about.
[/quote]

Jimmy-Look at Charlie Wi defying physics at Disney. Go charlie go!!!

Hi Dan

I just wanted to thank you for posting this thread. I could see myself in your opening post and maybe thats what caught my interest. Anyway I got a couple of points of Ballards method that seemed logical and I wanted til try it out.

Tonight I went to range and just from trying these two points so many things fell in place. All of a sudden I did not come over the top. I didn't have a million swing thoughts just one thng in the set-up and one thought in the take away.

Quit frankly I have never seen such an improvement. For the first time in my golf carrerer I had a feeling of actually controlling what I was doing. I have never hit the ball so solid before.

I will pursue this Jimmy Ballard some more.

But thanks a lot

• 4 months later...

I sure hope Dana gets back on this forum to give us an update.

I have Ballard's "89" video and just ordered an used copy of his book.

IMO this swing is vastly underrated in terms of what a weekend golfer can accomplish.

To me the most understated and overlooked part of the instruction concerns the lead shoulder breast. Maybe too many golfers don't engage this part of the shoulder (possibly for all swing styles) and don't get a full shoulder turn. Maybe this is why many people who don't get adequate distance with Ballard's swing say "you lose too much distance".

While this may not be the longest or most powerful swing it should be adequate for many golfers who don't have the time to hit a thousand balls every week.

This is a simple swing, fairly easy to learn, and to repeat.

I also do not think that there is as much lateral movement as a lot of people think, and I think some of the concepts like "you don't turn" are somewhat misunderstood. There is a rotation of the shoulders over a turn and in his video the golfer showing the motions in the backswing does turn his hips and gets his beltbuckle rotating behind him.

Maybe some golfers take Ballard's comments too literally. If you watch Mediate's swing even he makes slight moves that aren't what you would describe as perfect Ballard motions.

I have tried this swing. To me the most significant and efficient motion for the average golfer is the motion through impact from waist high to waist high. A square face to the clubhead swing path with minimal rotation of the forearms. And if you can't get enough power then IMO you are not rotating the shoulders correctly. If you don't believe you can get enough acceleration through impact try using a swingrite training aid. You might be shocked at how low you can set it and still get it to click correctly with this swing.

[quote name='yasu123' timestamp='1363240492' post='6609093']

To me the most understated and overlooked part of the instruction concerns the lead shoulder breast. Maybe too many golfers don't engage this part of the shoulder (possibly for all swing styles) and don't get a full shoulder turn. Maybe this is why many people who don't get adequate distance with Ballard's swing say "you lose too much distance".

[/quote]

Would you please elaborate on this, thanks.

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1363268591' post='6609893']
[quote name='yasu123' timestamp='1363240492' post='6609093']

[/quote]

Would you please elaborate on this, thanks.
[/quote]

There's a good 40 minute youtube video of Jimmy where he talks about how he defines the left shoulder, among a lot of other info. Basically he says most people think, when talking about the shoulder, assume a small area around the arm pit. When he says shoulder he's talking about the pec muscles, shoulder blades, arm pits, etc.

So, using the old terminology, getting your left shoulder over your right side you can be done by extending out the arm and not really coiling. Using Jimmy's terminology getting your left shoulder (left pec, shoulder blades, etc) over your right side is a much, much, much bigger coil.

Edit: you can prob tell with the avatar how I feel towards JB methods. +1.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys..great topic and thanks for the honest and candid comments about Jimmy Ballard.
We at The Golf Swing Shirt are very pleased to have the endorsement of Jimmy and have learned first hand just how passionate he is about making the golf swing as simple as possible. "Connection" is the main ingredient in his method as well as keeping both elbows pointing at the ground during the back and through swing. Add a few more simple "musts" and you have a very reliable and repeatable golf swing.
Check out Jimmy's website and consider drilling your swing sown to as few parts/angles as possible.
Cheers,
Raymond Rapcavage
Founder
The Golf Swing Shirt

Any golf swing shirt discount codes for wrx'ers?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 9 months later...

Dan,

Enjoyed your insight on Ballard.

I'm approaching my third season employing his methods and the result is a seismic shift in my understanding of the fundamentals and extremely encouraging changes in my swing and ball striking.

Although I went to see Jimmy last spring with a buddy in Key Largo, which was a major eye opener and worth the trip for the education alone, I'd been working with Tom Rinna, one of Jimmy's assistants (Formerly with the Colbert/Ballard schools), here in Michigan. Prior to seeing Tom Rinna and Jimmy Ballard I'd been through what seemed like a lifetime roller coaster ride of inconsistent golf. I began golfing in college and managed to get down to a -4 index using primarily hand-eye coordination, myriad quick fix drills, band-aid remedies (many from from very highly rated professionals), beating endless balls to keep my timing, expensive golf schools, and reading every golf book and Golf Digest article I could find. This worked pretty well in casual rounds with my friends, but I'd fade like a J.C. Penny suit when I played a top 100 track, when things got really competitive, or if I simply wanted my skills to show up for an important round. Bottom line was that when I really needed it to work all the timing I'd developed on the range went out the window. I was in the wilderness.

What I learned from Tom, and later Jimmy himself, was that the golf swing isn't a mystery at all. I was relieved to discover that, yes, even in golf, there are the same basic fundamental motions found in most athletic activities, and once I accepted and understood this I could begin to change and progress naturally. This wasn't the magic wand I always thought was right around the corner, and fortunately so. Moreover, it wasn't some newly invented theory or a series of positions that never seemed natural, a la "stack and wilt".
It was simply athletics and the simple physics that have to take place to strike any object on the ground. I found it incredible that I could immediately make the motion easily using a hockey stick, baseball bat, tennis racquet, or even chopping wood, but when I'd attempt to hit a golf ball all my old bad habits would rear up. This proved to me that nearly everything I had learned to this point was completely wrong. The merry-go-round of tips and endlessly trying new theories on the range had ended, finally.

Honestly, I had never experienced a truly solid, piercing golf shot until I started making an athletic move. Before that it was always glancing blows to some degree or another. When one makes an athletic move the ball does things that can not be adequately described. It behaves!

Some noteworthy things I really like about Ballard's teaching:

-This approach came straight from Babe Ruth to Sam Byrd, to Ben Hogan, and ultimately to Jimmy Ballard. Without Sam Byrd, Ben Hogan might very well have been a footnote in professional golf as his early swing was a lot like my own, disconnected and terrible. -The entire basis for Jimmy's teaching is CONNECTION. Nobody knows more about what made Hogan's swing tick than Jimmy Ballard. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that telling the truth has made Jimmy a lot of friends in golf's mainstream. But it has produced many, many winners. That's proof enough for me.

-Jimmy's had more winning students on all the tours than any other teacher.

-He's not teaching a cookie cutter approach. Everyone will look unique making this motion because of their physical and mental constitution. Notwithstanding appearances, the same fundamentals are employed.

-Anyone can make this move, "it's as simple as an underhanded tossing motion". You don't have to be Phil or Tiger. Children do it automatically before taught otherwise. (Usually in an effort to hit it further.)

-Jimmy doesn't teach impact drills or positions as he considers it inimical to swinging the club fast through the ball. Manufactured impact positions only slow the club head down.

-Most people make this athletic move naturally UNTIL they're told things like "hold your head still, keep their left arm straight, c0ck your wrists, turn, lag the club, fire your hips, etc.". (Again, usually as a short cut to more distance but a detriment to progress and consistency)

-Jimmy NEVER taught me to sway. He doesn't teach anyone to sway. (A sway is a move to the outside of the right foot.) What he teaches is a loading into the right side, where the head moves with the spine, so the student can use the big muscles to move right back and down into the ball and down the target line with the least amount of motion and energy expenditure. Same as in baseball, tennis, hockey, etc. (The Longer the shot the more noticeable the head move is, that is how pros measure distance. Observe for yourself: Watch Hogan (who preset his head to the right), Snead, (head flowed back) Nicholas (also preset), Federer, Gretzky, Cabrera (Miguel or Angel), Tom Brady, etc.. All these greats load into their right side to make an athletic move (to propel something forward), and consequently their heads move back several inches on the backswing to accommodate.

-With this motion the hands and arms are simply holding on to the club. No timing or extraneous hand, arm, or wrist action involved! (Watch Hogan's training drill on the Ed Sullivan show. It's on You Tube)

-Jimmy demonstrates how most of us are attempting to help the ball into the air instead of hitting down and through. (Many teachers advocate a descending blow but haven't the comprehensive methodology to back it up.)

-With the input of physicists and physicians Jimmy has completely debunked the idea of any rotary action or "turning" in the swing. He explains how TURNING is total misnomer and one of the biggest causes of glancing blows. According to Jimmy, it's impossible to turn on two fixed points (it causes twisting, reverse weight shifts, and coming over the top), and obviously most of us play on two feet.

-Jimmy explained the difference between feels and fundamental swing thoughts and how feels are abstract and unreliable.

-His method sometimes gets a bad rap for lack of distance. This couldn't be more wrong, I've had tremendous distance gains making athletic swings and with less motion, less effort, and far fewer back problems. Unlike some other methods it's not a shortcut to power and it does require a reasonable amount of repetition.

-Jimmy dispels the old canard that there are 1000s of good ways to swing a golf club. Exposing many accepted (PGA) teaching methods to the light of day. I agree with Tom and Jimmy that the reason the average golfer's score never improves is primarily because they aren't working on the fundamentals. Unfortunately many golfer's have been conditioned to believe, as I did, that each swing is totally unique to each individual and there isn't one best way to swing the club. Utterly untrue. When it comes to the great ball strikers with the longest careers, Jimmy can prove that, without exception, they were all making the same fundamental move while looking very different doing it. A la Tiger in 2000 vs. today. There's a reason he's not winning majors, he's gotten away from the basics. The irony is that with the Ballard approach he'd be putting less stress on his entire body because it's a natural move. With Ballard Tiger would likely win 10 more majors and again be untouchable.

-This is truly a swing for a lifetime because you'll never master it, you'll just keep getting better at it. The sky is the limit. There are no short cuts. And that's something every great performer will tell you about their craft. Conversely, you'll never "lose" the swing, because you'll no longer be relying on timing and contorted positions that cause DISCONNECTION leaving you back in the wilderness looking for elusive feels to right the ship.

I often wonder how many golfers will live their entire lives never experiencing true striking of the golf ball and the way the ball behaves when struck this way. This is not to be missed.

If you're a lifer like me you have to read Jimmy Ballard's book; "How To Perfect Your Golf Swing". Give yourself that gift. And if that piques your interest give Jimmy a call and he'll direct you to a teacher in your area.

James V.
Birmingham, MI

Interesting history-
http://talesfromthebunker.com/tag/sam-byrd/

What forged excellent post!

Does he teach you to move off the ball? Not a sway as you said...but does your head move a lot to the right relatively speaking like curtis strange?

Why does he say coil all the time and not turn?

I know he says you can't turn when you have two posts (your legs) but that upper body sure looks like it's turning to me. Is he against a shoulder turn?

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

It's just his way of marketing. I have ZERO qualms with the Ballard method, and my own teaching (particularly w/ beginners) shares a lot of commonalities with his teachings. But his sales pitch is a little dated and I have a problem with "professionals" who bad mouth other pros for their own gain. Maybe that's just me and my ideas of being a gentleman.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

1-Your head moves back in tandem with your spine (because it's a 17 lb weight attached to your spine) in proportion to the width of your stance. On a driver it moves more than with a wedge.

2-He discourages the term turn because you don't turn in any other athletic endeavor to DRIVE or PROPEL an object forward. The motion is taking the triangle established at address and moving in in one piece into the INSIDE of the right leg. Legend has it that hogan described the result of correctly executing the back swing was a pinching of your right between your groin and your pelvis.

3- In a turn the shoulders rotate level around a still head. Not good. In a coil the weight moves back, as I said, into the right instep while the left shoulder moves back (pretty much level) to the away from target and the right shoulder moves upward. (Picture Tom Brady getting ready to launch a bomb, right shoulder goes up and left shoulder moves back over right instep then he can just uncork toward the target. He would never spin (rotate, turn) around himself.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1389118647' post='8416353']
It's just his way of marketing. I have ZERO qualms with the Ballard method, and my own teaching (particularly w/ beginners) shares a lot of commonalities with his teachings. But his sales pitch is a little dated and I have a problem with "professionals" who bad mouth other pros for their own gain. Maybe that's just me and my ideas of being a gentleman.
[/quote]

He never disparaged other pros to me. Although you are correct in discerning his distaste for the many that have pegged him as teaching a sway.