The ballad of Jimmy Ballard...

[quote name='fuab' timestamp='1339643057' post='5089010']
yea don't get to carried away nagroc6987 from what I've seen this is only Dan's world changing instructor this month. Another couple months there will be another post about another theory and people wonder why they still suck at golf....
[/quote]

For some the journey is more important than the destination.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Jimmy Ballard endorses new swing aid...................

[size=4][url="http://www.golfswingshirt.com/"]http://www.golfswingshirt.com/[/url][/size]

[size=4]Below read a portion of an article in the Asbury Park Press[/size]

[size=4] http://www.app.com/article/20120627/njcolumnist09/306270131/1002/njsports/rumson-s-rapcavage-wins-over-skeptics-with-the-golf-swing-shirt[/size]

[size=4]*Still, he managed to talk his way into a half-hour with Ballard at home base, the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, Fla. [/size][size=4]So off went the guy who brokers[/size]
[size=4]deals for shopping centers with a display kit full of orange garments that look more like a straight jacket for a meeting with the man who preaches the[/size]
[size=4]connection between the arms and the torso in a golf swing. [/size][size=4]“I give him the shirt,’’ said Rapcavage, “and he’s holding it in his hands, staring at it. He[/size]
[size=4]put it on and was swinging, then went onto the range and hit some balls and put it on his head pro. He’s not saying much of anything. Finally, after a[/size]
[size=4]half hour he says ‘Ray, I don’t know who you are or where you came from, but this is the best swing trainer I’ve ever seen in my life. I’ve been[/size]
[size=4]teaching for 45 years and this is the real deal. This is going to help people hit the ball so much better so much quicker and you figured it out.’ ’’[/size]
[size=4]I wasn’t privy to the exact conversation, but as of July 1 Ballard is under contract as the official endorser of The Swing Shirt, so apparently he did[/size]
[size=4]indeed like it. [/size]As for our local inventor, he’s now charged with figuring out how to break into a market that’s literally oversaturated with gadgets like
his, many with famous teachers attesting to their ability to help you play better.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25QANg5Qtk&feature=plcp

Ok so here's my two cents. In 1987 I was sponsored by my club to play on the mini-tours. The one provision was that I had to see a "big name" teacher and have him prep me. Earlier that summer I had picked up Jimmy's book to read between shotguns during a Monday outing. Intrigued by the whole "firing the right side" idea I went out to do a clinic for the group . While firing my right side, I could draw it, fade it, hit it high and low at will! I was on to something.
Went to Jimmy's school and the first two days did not get the ball airborne! Now I'm freaking out. After I hit the 400th ball in a low skull, I turn around and hammer a big Rubbermaid trash can full of balls, balls are bouncing all over. Jimmy comes over with a big smile and says "Now we're learning aren't we?" Then he invited me to stay after a class where we broke down the swings of Hogan, Nelson and Snead. Then he broke out video of BobTway, then the PGA champ. We broke down his swing and Jimmy said "he'll never win a big tournament again". He was correct
Long story short I started to hit the ball with more control and accuracy than I ever had. Although I had won two section events and was medalist in my PGA PAT, I could shoot 68 one day and 90 the next. With Jimmy my swing got more consistent and I knew what to work on.
The down side with associating yourself with Jimmy is that very few people in my profession look on him favorably. To my knowledge only Butch Harmon and Jim McLean will acknowledge Jimmy's expertise in a public forum . Despite what has been said in this forum, Butch is very much like Jimmy except he uses different terms. Letting the head move, getting into the right side, firing the right side are all staples of Butch's teaching. Butch does not advocate the left arm over the right as has been said earlier.
What I like best about Jimmy's teaching is that my students are able to understand the concepts. When I tell them that golf is like hitting a baseball or tennis ball, they get that. They like that their backs stop hurting, they like that they don't have to remember and do 200 things to hit a ball well. They get it! I love the look on their face when I tell them they can move their head!
For a change they have hope!
Now let's clear up some of the misinformation that has been included in this post. As for Jimmy teaching a sway, please consult the July 2001 issue of Golf Digest. Jim McLean measured the lateral movement of top tour players and found out that they all moved laterally and the more they did the farther the ball went! The book "Model Golf" also confirms this.
As for the Jim Colbert-Nicklaus conversation in a cab, this occurred in 1980, not 1986. If you read Nicklaus' book written right after the 1980 season (blocking on the title now) he talks about "marrying his left arm to his chest". Sounds like connection to me.
The list of Jimmy's students is a verifiable who's who of golf-George Knudson, Johnny Miller, Gary Player, Seve, Jim Dent, Colbert, Jerry Pate, Hal Sutton, Curtis Strange, Rocco, Sandy Lyle, Peter Jacobsen, etc. Henri Reis, Annika's teacher also was influenced by Jimmy and you see his fundamentals in almost all of the Swedish players as Jimmy taught his method to the Swedish Golf Federation in 1984.
A lot of people don't like Jimmy because of his direct, non bs approach. He tells it like he sees it, and you can agree with him or not . He is very representative of what we have become in America- we like good packaging, but sometimes at the expense of a quality product. Jimmy is not as diplomatic as Butch and David, he's not as PC as Sean Foley, but what he says is true. Sometimes we don't want to hear that.
Finally, in answer to the one guy who had all the ugly things to say about Jimmy, he charges $250 an hour not $300, and that rate is very reasonable for a Top 100 teacher. I once paid $1k to have Jimmy for a day and it was WELL worth it! And as for his schools , unlike other Top 100 teachers, Jimmy actually does the schools himself, not some assistant .
FYI-As far a threads on golf web sites, only blades vs. cavity backs will get a bigger response than a thread talking about Jimmy Ballard.

Jimmy charges 1250 for a 4 hr personal trainer day. By my math thats over 300 but he is Jesus resurrected. You are paying for 200 and hour for the golf instruction teh rest is to be in the presence of a superstar. Im pretty sure Jimmy told me the story being in 86 before teh masters but maybe he has revised it. All folklores are subject to revisions.

Jimmy says there is NO TURN in the golf swing. Look at Phil Mickelson, BUbba Watson, Arnold Palmer And countless other on tour..they all have significant hip turn. If its Jimmy preference that there is no TURN then thats HIS preference, but it is not some irrefutable law of orthopedics and physics as he claims. If you look at many great players thier right butt cheek will go back towards the target. Again, its Jimmys preference that this does not occur but its no law of science. If there were strict laws about hitting a golf ball as Jimmy claims then Jim Furyk would not have won 10 million dollar Fed ex money. by the way Jimmy said in teh mid nineties Furyk would never last because his swing was so horrible. Won the US open...

Jimmy wants you to coil into your right side even on chips shots. Im sorry but most good short game players favor their left side around the greens. Heck trevino set up with most of his weight left even on full wedge shots. JImmy says you should NEVER favor teh left on ANY shot. Again its his PREFERENCE but there are a lot of guys making money who DO NOT do this.

The worst piece of information he gave me is to finish with all my weight of my left foot on the toe NOT the heel. Sorry but NO good player does this. Look at the videos and all good players drive up into their left heel at the finish. Not that Jimmy would ever waste his time looking at videos of what guys on your ACTUALLY do. I mean he figured it all out 40 years ago and has those 2 dimensional pictures to prove it.

MattKuchar.png

Son, you got it flat and around. Your going to hurt yourself , bud. you come down to Ocean reef and i'll stand you up against a wall and have you hit balls and we'll correct that. You hit that wall and you wont forget that you cant defy physics. Did I ever tell you the story about when I had George Knudson stand up against his car and take swings. Boy he had some huge dents in the door. See , i told him you gots to swing up to hit down son.

Leave some haterade for the rest of us.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

jimmy is the one with the hatred. a few months ago on the front of his website he had a paragraph bashing Tiger, saying tiger was being ruined by bad instruction..he then won 3 times on the really tough courses and Jimmy removed his post...Last year he had Rocco making media rounds bashing Tigers swing.

I guess Palmer was defying physics. Notice he turns his hips and still moves rightward NO TURN in the golf swing right? Not possible, right?ap-top.jpg

"I’d like to talk with you about a term in golf that’s been used over the years, it’s still being used and to me it’s the absolute worst thing that you can think of or try to do in a golf swing and that’s the word “turn.” You’re all told to turn, you’re constantly using the word “turn,” you hear the vocabulary used all of the time on television. Let me explain something to you by the laws of physics, if you are standing and playing golf on two legs, you can’t turn. And every time you try to turn it creates a reverse pivot and I’ve seen more back injuries as a result of people trying to turn in this game. I’ve predicted it years in advance, if people ever tried to turn they would tear up their backs and I’ve seen it happen at every level of golf. Now think about something, first of all I want you to understand to turn something, you could only turn it from one socket and one joint. Example, if I took a ball joint and socket and connected it to that golf club, I can turn it. But if I now add, at any point, another ball joint and socket to that golf club, you can’t turn it. At that’s what happens in the golf swing with your body if you’re standing on two legs, if you’re standing on two legs, you have two sockets and two joints. You can’t turn from two sockets and two joints, you can only turn from one. Any form of turning is a reverse pivot and in my opinion it ruins a golf swing

"JImmy Ballard

jimmy is the one with the hatred. a few months ago on the front of his website he had a paragraph bashing Tiger, saying tiger was being ruined by bad instruction..he then won 3 times on the really tough courses and Jimmy removed his post...Last year he had Rocco making media rounds bashing Tigers swing.

I guess Palmer was defying physics. Notice he turns his hips and still moves rightward NO TURN in the golf swing right? Not possible, right?ap-top.jpg

"I’d like to talk with you about a term in golf that’s been used over the years, it’s still being used and to me it’s the absolute worst thing that you can think of or try to do in a golf swing and that’s the word “turn.” You’re all told to turn, you’re constantly using the word “turn,” you hear the vocabulary used all of the time on television. Let me explain something to you by the laws of physics, if you are standing and playing golf on two legs, you can’t turn. And every time you try to turn it creates a reverse pivot and I’ve seen more back injuries as a result of people trying to turn in this game. I’ve predicted it years in advance, if people ever tried to turn they would tear up their backs and I’ve seen it happen at every level of golf. Now think about something, first of all I want you to understand to turn something, you could only turn it from one socket and one joint. Example, if I took a ball joint and socket and connected it to that golf club, I can turn it. But if I now add, at any point, another ball joint and socket to that golf club, you can’t turn it. At that’s what happens in the golf swing with your body if you’re standing on two legs, if you’re standing on two legs, you have two sockets and two joints. You can’t turn from two sockets and two joints, you can only turn from one. Any form of turning is a reverse pivot and in my opinion it ruins a golf swing

"JImmy Ballard

Tiger fan boy much?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

• 2 weeks later...

Weird about you having back problems with S&T.

I haven't had any back issues since going to S&T.

Maybe it was the instructor...

Good luck with Ballard.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I took my first lesson w/ Knudson when I was 9 years old. I was a part of his junior program and when I was old enough to drive, I began working for him doing follow up instruction for him at his range. He was a fan of Ballard. George even visited Ballard for instruction. George was already a highly regarded striker when he went to discuss swing thoughts with Ballard. Ballard did not "make" George Knudson. George, did believe in the connection of a good swing, but felt there were variables based on the individual athlete.

I'm a coach. I teach a lot of high-level players and a bunch of high handicappers that want to make qualify for their B flight championship at the club.

Safe to say that every top level coach has added a bunch of cool things to "coaching" in general. Ballard's connection principle will stand the test of time. I'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff he says, but he has produced some very good competitors and ball strikers. Like the one fellow who was sponsored by his club and "had to see a top-tier teacher," I know a similar story of a great talent who did the same and washed out trying to fit the Ballard mold. Fair to say, different strokes for different folks. The key to any great student coaching relationship is the BELIEF the student has in the teacher. Lets face it, in golf, the club face has to be aiming at the desired start line and the path as to provide the appropriate curve for the shot. If you can do that every time, does it really matter what your swing looks like or how you describe how you do it for others? I don't care for Rocco, much less his swing, but the guy could hit it and had a pretty good career cashing checks. He, like Ballard, is very opinionated and it's their way or the highway. That style of coaching, or personality, for that matter doesn't sit well with me, but it does give some a level of "certainty" to some students.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

Ballard created a system and believes in it. He has deciples who believe in it. Some of his golfers have performed at the top of the world stage. Tough to argue with that... According to those bullets, he must be a great coach. Not for me, but facts are facts.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1342838972' post='5319744']
I took my first lesson w/ Knudson when I was 9 years old. I was a part of his junior program and when I was old enough to drive, I began working for him doing follow up instruction for him at his range. He was a fan of Ballard. George even visited Ballard for instruction. George was already a highly regarded striker when he went to discuss swing thoughts with Ballard. Ballard did not "make" George Knudson. George, did believe in the connection of a good swing, but felt there were variables based on the individual athlete.

I'm a coach. I teach a lot of high-level players and a bunch of high handicappers that want to make qualify for their B flight championship at the club.

Safe to say that every top level coach has added a bunch of cool things to "coaching" in general. Ballard's connection principle will stand the test of time. I'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff he says, but he has produced some very good competitors and ball strikers. Like the one fellow who was sponsored by his club and "had to see a top-tier teacher," I know a similar story of a great talent who did the same and washed out trying to fit the Ballard mold. Fair to say, different strokes for different folks. The key to any great student coaching relationship is the BELIEF the student has in the teacher. Lets face it, in golf, the club face has to be aiming at the desired start line and the path as to provide the appropriate curve for the shot. If you can do that every time, does it really matter what your swing looks like or how you describe how you do it for others? [b]I don't care for Rocco, much less his swing,[/b] but the guy could hit it and had a pretty good career cashing checks. He, like Ballard, is very opinionated and it's their way or the highway. That style of coaching, or personality, for that matter doesn't sit well with me, but it does give some a level of "certainty" to some students.

Ballard created a system and believes in it. He has deciples who believe in it. Some of his golfers have performed at the top of the world stage. Tough to argue with that... According to those bullets, he must be a great coach. Not for me, but facts are facts.
[/quote]

Care to elaborate on this?

This will get a laugh out of most of you. After 20 years of various instruction and lessons, some from the best, the ONLY one that worked for me is from a guy in Visalia, CA by the name of Darrell Klassen. A bit of Merrins, and Ballard combined. Worked for me. The ONLY one that worked for me. Went from a 20 to an 8 in about 4 months, 4 years ago. Now if the putts would only drop. I think Klassen still has a website but he didn't look too healthy 4 years ago.

FWIW, I recently bought Ballards book, I never really understood what he taught till I read it and watched his videos on Youtube. I have to say it is really making sense to me, I was really haveing a problem with fall backwards through the ball, worried too much about the turn, shoulder plane etc. had a very narrow stance, what i am finding is I am much more consistent, keeping the elbows down (which he talks about on youtube but not the book) has made my backswing much more consistent. I am not playing much right now but when I have I have found I am not hitting any horrible shots, and when I make a bad swing I know how to correct it. I for one am becoming a fan.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1342884500' post='5321608']

Safe to say that every top level coach has added a bunch of cool things to "coaching" in general. Ballard's connection principle will stand the test of time. I'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff he says, but he has produced some very good competitors and ball strikers. Like the one fellow who was sponsored by his club and "had to see a top-tier teacher," I know a similar story of a great talent who did the same and washed out trying to fit the Ballard mold. Fair to say, different strokes for different folks. The key to any great student coaching relationship is the BELIEF the student has in the teacher. Lets face it, in golf, the club face has to be aiming at the desired start line and the path as to provide the appropriate curve for the shot. If you can do that every time, does it really matter what your swing looks like or how you describe how you do it for others? [b]I don't care for Rocco, much less his swing,[/b] but the guy could hit it and had a pretty good career cashing checks. He, like Ballard, is very opinionated and it's their way or the highway. That style of coaching, or personality, for that matter doesn't sit well with me, but it does give some a level of "certainty" to some students.

[/quote]

[/quote]

What part?

The one thing everyone should appreciate about Ballard is that a lot of the well respected teachers in the game give him credit in their learning process. His ideas on the connected swing are almost universally taught. Some of his other ideas can be a bit controversial and he certainly adds fuel to this fire with his personality, but the is a lot of merit to what he teaches and it is misrepresented a lot by people. That being said, it's just one way to swing a golf club and a very effective one of some people and for some it's not.

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337719889' post='4959982']
I see Jimmy is doing some golf schools across the Midwest in case it interest anyone...

[list]
[*][size=3][color=#339966]July 15[/color] - St. Louis area - WingHaven Country Club[/size]
[*][size=3]Contact: Barbara Blanchar [url="http://www.jimmyballardgolf.com/id65.html#"]phone[/url]: 314-973-8428 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size]
[*]
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=3][color=#339966]July 18 [/color]- Chicago area - Bittersweet Golf Club - Gurnee IL[/size]
[*][size=3]Contact: John Kiriakopoulos phone: 847-855-9031 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size]
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=3][color=#339966]July 20[/color] - Chicago area - Balmoral Woods Country Club - Crete IL[/size]
[*][size=3]Contact: Bill Abrams phone: 630-926-4554 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size]
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=3][color=#339966]August 1[/color] - Columbus OH - OSU Golf Club - Columbus OH[/size]
[*][size=3]Contact: Brian Kelly phone: 614-292-9148 or email [color=#000000][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/color][/size]
[/list]

[left]An additional date for the southeast has been added.[/left][list]
[*][size="3"][color="#339966"]August 11[/color] - Atlanta area - The Trophy Club of Atlanta - Alpharetta GA[/size]
[*][size="3"]Contact: Rob French phone: 770-343-9700 or mobile - 404-694-0211 or email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] [/size]
[/list]

[left][size=2]More info...[/size][/left]

[left][url="http://www.jimmyballardgolf.com/id65.html"]http://www.jimmyball...f.com/id65.html[/url][/left]
[/quote]

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1343020271' post='5332220']
[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1342884500' post='5321608']

[/quote]

[/quote]

What part?
[/quote]

rocco had won 5 times on tour before he met jimmy amd had been playing professional golf for over 20 and was always a good striker. who really helped who? Jimmy has basically used Rocco's name every chance he gets, has him posted all over his website. Jimmy had no professional clients since the mid nineties. He got Emilee Klein who was already good and then she was hitting hit so well that she retired...

YOu know Jimmy has it figured out so well and golf is so simple if you are "connected" you think he would have won some tournaments himself. Especially since everyone else's ideas are wrong. I wonder why he never even played a tournament? I wonder why he never cashed a check PLAYING golf? ANd he has all those awesome training aids. Has he ever even PLAYED the club championship at Ocean reef? Maybe when you so good golf gets boring...

[b] [b]Belief Perseverance[/b]: Social psychologists Ross, Lepper and Hubbard found that some people have a tendency or unwillingness to admit that their foundational premises are incorrect even when shown convincing evidence to the contrary. Belief Perseverance is this tendency to reject convincing proof and become even more tenaciously held when the belief has been publicly announced to others.

[/b]

Nagroc... Chill man! We get it, you don't like Ballard or his ideas. No use in constantly voicing your displeasure. This was a thread/topic for us that have gained a lot from his ideas. You summed up your feelings already in your first post. If it's not for you, there's no use in trolling this thread. His method has taken me from a 20+ to a single digit handicap, so this method is perfect for me. Doesn't mean it's for you, but to crap on him because he's steadfast in his beliefs is asinine. If I want an instructor, you better believe I want one that thinks he's 100% right. That's confidence!

BTW...
I'd hardly use Bubba as an example to refute Ballard's ideas. He admits that he hits slices and hooks because he doesn't know how to hit a straight shot. ;-)

[url="http://youtu.be/I-Rwo9-nuTY"]http://youtu.be/I-Rwo9-nuTY[/url]

Here is a perfect example of a great player TURNING thier hips. This is why I wont stop. Because Jimmy is wrong.he says it impossible for this to be done because it defies physics. He is a liar and a conman, Plenty of great players turn their hips. The empereror has no clothes, just a bad toupee. The people on this board are smart people, you pay close attention to golf and the golf swing. Are you guys really going to look at teh above video and tell me JImmy is not full of it? Are you going to tell me Palmer and BUbba do not use massive hip turn? COme on guys...

[quote name='nagroc6987' timestamp='1343262642' post='5354146']
[media=]http://youtu.be/I-Rwo9-nuTY[/media]

Here is a perfect example of a great player TURNING thier hips. This is why I wont stop. Because Jimmy is wrong.he says it impossible for this to be done because it defies physics. He is a liar and a conman, Plenty of great players turn their hips. The empereror has no clothes, just a bad toupee. The people on this board are smart people, you pay close attention to golf and the golf swing. Are you guys really going to look at teh above video and tell me JImmy is not full of it? Are you going to tell me Palmer and BUbba do not use massive hip turn? COme on guys...
[/quote]

If you watch Ballard's video on page 1, I think he means you can't turn if you don't move your head to the right or else you'll reverse pivot, if you watch Kim's video from the front her head moves to her right, so she's coiling into her right leg.

[quote name='spacecraft' timestamp='1343265653' post='5354436']

[/quote]

If you watch Ballard's video on page 1, I think he means you can't turn if you don't move your head to the right or else you'll reverse pivot, if you watch Kim's video from the front her head moves to her right, so she's coiling into her right leg.
[/quote]

no you are incorrect. He says because you have 2 legs it is impossible to turn your hips. When I took lessons from him he said I was not allowed to turn my belt buckle on the backswing-it had to move laterally only. Her belt buckle is facing us from the back and her right butt cheek has TURNED toward the target. Jimmy would say this is twisted. You guys dont even understand what he teaches. You guys all focus on the head..focus on the pivot of the hips. Stand in front of a mirrow in your golf posture, put your lrft hand out and then turn to the right like you were going to shake hands with somone. your right hip pocket will turn back as will your belt buckle, the right butt cheek will move to face the target (IK KIM pivot). she is ROTATING or turning around her spine like a discus thrower. now take your posture and focusing on your belt buckle dont allow it to turn, but shift keeping your belt buckle facing the mirror with your spine shifting 6 inches into the brace of the right leg (thats the ballrad pivot)

Look at Palmers hip turn in this video and read this passage from Jimmy. Palmers butt [u][b]turns [/b][/u]way back toward the target,:

[url="http://youtu.be/jk66Fej5TS8?t=5m10s"]http://youtu.be/jk66Fej5TS8?t=5m10s[/url]
[b]I’d like to talk with you about a term in golf that’s been used over the years, it’s still being used and to me it’s the absolute worst thing that you can think of or try to do in a golf swing and that’s the word “turn.” You’re all told to turn, you’re constantly using the word “turn,” you hear the vocabulary used all of the time on television. Let me explain something to you by the laws of physics, [u]if you are standing and playing golf on two legs, you can’t turn[/u]. And [u]every time you try to turn it creates a reverse pivot [/u]and I’ve seen more back injuries as a result of people trying to turn in this game. I’ve predicted it years in advance, if people ever tried to turn they would tear up their backs and I’ve seen it happen at every level of golf. Now think about something, first of all I want you to understand to turn something, you could only turn it from one socket and one joint. Example, if I took a ball joint and socket and connected it to that golf club, I can turn it. But if I now add, at any point, another ball joint and socket to that golf club, you can’t turn it. At that’s what happens in the golf swing with your body if you’re standing on two legs, if you’re standing on two legs, you have two sockets and two joints. You can’t turn from two sockets and two joints, you can only turn from one. Any form of turning is a reverse pivot and in my opinion it ruins a golf swing[/b]

[quote name='nagroc6987' timestamp='1343268772' post='5354770']
[quote name='spacecraft' timestamp='1343265653' post='5354436']

[/quote]

[/quote]

no you are incorrect. He says because you have 2 legs it is impossible to turn your hips. When I took lessons from him he said I was not allowed to turn my belt buckle on the backswing-it had to move laterally only. Her belt buckle is facing us from the back and her right butt cheek has TURNED toward the target. Jimmy would say this is twisted. You guys dont even understand what he teaches. You guys all focus on the head..focus on the pivot of the hips. Stand in front of a mirrow in your golf posture, put your lrft hand out and then turn to the right like you were going to shake hands with somone. your right hip pocket will turn back as will your belt buckle, the right butt cheek will move to face the target (IK KIM pivot). she is ROTATING or turning around her spine like a discus thrower. now take your posture and focusing on your belt buckle dont allow it to turn, but shift keeping your belt buckle facing the mirror with your spine shifting 6 inches into the brace of the right leg (thats the ballrad pivot)

Look at Palmers hip turn in this video and read this passage from Jimmy. Palmers butt [u][b]turns [/b][/u]way back toward the target,:

[url="http://youtu.be/jk66Fej5TS8?t=5m10s"]http://youtu.be/jk66Fej5TS8?t=5m10s[/url]
[b]I’d like to talk with you about a term in golf that’s been used over the years, it’s still being used and to me it’s the absolute worst thing that you can think of or try to do in a golf swing and that’s the word “turn.” You’re all told to turn, you’re constantly using the word “turn,” you hear the vocabulary used all of the time on television. Let me explain something to you by the laws of physics, [u]if you are standing and playing golf on two legs, you can’t turn[/u]. And [u]every time you try to turn it creates a reverse pivot [/u]and I’ve seen more back injuries as a result of people trying to turn in this game. I’ve predicted it years in advance, if people ever tried to turn they would tear up their backs and I’ve seen it happen at every level of golf. Now think about something, first of all I want you to understand to turn something, you could only turn it from one socket and one joint. Example, if I took a ball joint and socket and connected it to that golf club, I can turn it. But if I now add, at any point, another ball joint and socket to that golf club, you can’t turn it. At that’s what happens in the golf swing with your body if you’re standing on two legs, if you’re standing on two legs, you have two sockets and two joints. You can’t turn from two sockets and two joints, you can only turn from one. Any form of turning is a reverse pivot and in my opinion it ruins a golf swing[/b]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk66Fej5TS8&feature=youtu.be&t=5m10s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk66Fej5TS8&feature=youtu.be&t=5m10s[/url]

I've taken lessons in the past from someone that taught under him and was also told to keep belt buckle pointing forward. I think It's impossible, at least for me to turn my left shoulder to the right and keep my buckle facing forward, Jimmy doesn't even do it on that Ballard Day video.

I think he exaggerates a lot of things, I take what works for me and ignore what doesn't.

All I know is my handicap is down to a 6 from watching and reading Ballard stuff on the net the past couple of months, fire the right side and fold the left elbow works for me, not bad for just playing once a week

Ballard teaches a lot of "feels." When I load into my right side I don't think about my belt buckle anymore. When I started learning under one of his instructors, a fault I had was that I "turned" my hips with belt buckle over my right knee. The problem with this is, if you don't get to your right side, it's a reverse pivot. Pulls and slices were all i could hit. The way I fixed this, was that I loaded my weight into the inside of my right leg, and "felt like" my belt buckle was facing forward the whole time. On video, this clearly wasn't the case, but it was a feeling. Swing thoughts aren't always literal. He also said that on the downswing, you should "pierce your heart with your left elbow." Feelings man... We're talking feelings!

It's sad you feel like you need to be on a crusade to dispell Ballard's teachings. You'll have a better time proving the world is flat. McLean, Harmon, Leadbetter to name a few have drawn from his ideas and beliefs and incorporated his teachings.There are many reputable golfers and journalists that put Ballard in the upper echelon of contributors to the game. But hey, whatever gets you through the night.

No-the videos Ive posted show clearly my point. This is not a feel to Jimmy, he clearly states in the paragraph above that its against the laws of physics to have [i][u]any[/u][/i] turn in the backswing. He doesnt use the word feel anywhere in that paragraph. I know what he teaches, I worked with him directly and after having much better instruction elsewhere I am able to see things clearly. If these are his PREFERENCES fine but its not physics (maybe PAlmer should give his trophies back since he defied physics). At the time I worked with him he was really convincing and I thought it was the end all be all. I was brainwashed for awhile but gladly I escaped from Jonestown, I mean Ocean reef. At the end of the day there are so many great mentors and instructors out there. Most of them you can find by looking at the results of your local state open (yes guys who actually can [b][u]PLAY[/u][/b]). They charge reasonbly, they dont have an entourage, they don't go on and on about people stealing their ideas, their medical problems, they dont't tell tall tales, don't bash other instructors or players...