2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Boston In September

henricogolfer

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be a tough one... not sure that public transportation will get u anywhere. Unless you take a cab. Hopefully a city dweller will chime in for you.

One thing I do know from being a new englander... in september, you'll have to be prepared to play in any of the four seasons.. so watch the weather before you pack.

You could look at Granite Links, which is about 10 miles South of the city and has a resort course feel and will probably rent you a decent set of clubs. I think it might be $40 each way depending on where you are in the city. George Wright Municipal GC is operated by the City of Boston and is on the Golfweek list of Top public courses in Ma and Munis but will probably rent you Spalding Executives if they have anything at all. It is also probably $50 each way from downtown In a cab.

Renting a car or Zipcar would open up many more desirable options.

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1337995161' post='4979250']
Have to ask, what is a zip car?
[/quote]

Google is your friend to see if it works for you. Are you a member at a private club? That will make a huge difference in recommendations as many private courses will offer reciprocity. The private course selection around Boston is outstanding.. public, ok but not great unless you travel a bit.

If public and you want to travel 30 miles or so you can play Pinehills, Atlantic CC, Granite Links, Red Tail, Stowe Acres North,

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1338155576' post='4986278']
Okay, I am a member of a private club and renting a car is fine if opens up the options. Any chance of TPC or other great club? Any chance of seeing The Country Club even if I can not get on?
[/quote]

TPC may not be that difficult, see what happens if your club pro calls. It's an hour drive from Boston though. No chance to see TCC without a member connection, you won't get past the gate if you can even find it. If you play Robert T Lynch Muni in Brookline you can see some of the fairways.

[quote name='gripz' timestamp='1338231080' post='4989768']
Okay, I am a member of a private club and renting a car is fine if opens up the options. Any chance of TPC or other great club? Any chance of seeing The Country Club even if I can not get on?
[/quote]

TPC may not be that difficult, see what happens if your club pro calls. It's an hour drive from Boston though. No chance to see TCC without a member connection, you won't get past the gate if you can even find it. If you play Robert T Lynch Muni in Brookline you can see some of the fairways.
[/quote]

Do not play Robert T Lynch in Brookline, that course was used as a parking lot for the Ryder Cup and looks as though the tournament was yesterday, that place is a cow pasture.

If you can only play public go to Pinehills, outstanding courses in prescribe condition.

[/quote]

You need to make a list of courses and ask your Club PGA Professional to call the Pro at the other course to inquire about the possibility of you playing. The Country Club will not be available unless you know a member. I would recommend Charles River, Brae Burn and Woodlands Country Clubs in Newton. Belmont CC in Belmont, Winchester CC in Winchester, TPC Norton should be doable, Granite Links is a great public track.

[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1338994702' post='5040778']
[/quote]

You need to make a list of courses and ask your Club PGA Professional to call the Pro at the other course to inquire about the possibility of you playing. The Country Club will not be available unless you know a member. I would recommend Charles River, Brae Burn and Woodlands Country Clubs in Newton. Belmont CC in Belmont, Winchester CC in Winchester, TPC Norton should be doable, Granite Links is a great public track.
[/quote]

Thanks, good idea.

Shemp hit it on the head with his recommendations. Rent a car. Are you staying right in Boston? There is business trips that are outside of Boston, that will promote as "Boston"......... Such as Waltham, Newton, Quincy etc......but nothing is too close to Boston. Newton country clubs and Granite Links in Quincy are the best closest bets to the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Boston
Not many great courses real close to the city.
I wouldnt reccomend granite links if you hit the ball over 250 yards. Will turn into target golf and $120 a round. Great views good shape just nots of 3 irons off tees and semi blind shots. Good spot for dinner tho.
If you can i would rent a car and drive to plymouth(50 minutes) and play Pine Hills(both courses-i like nickaulas course better), Crosswinds, and Waverly oaks. All worth it in that order.

For cheap and 30 minute ride I would say South Shore country club in Hingham but not as good as the plymouth courses.

If you dont really care where you play and want as close as possible you can play presidents in quincy, braintree muni, or george wright in hyde park

If your pro has serious pull to get you on private courses go for the Country club in Brookline(10 minutes), Boston golf club in Hingham(30 minutes), Black Rock Hingham(30 minutes), TPC Boston which is in norton(45 minutes)

[quote name='krj122' timestamp='1340207450' post='5135558']
I live in Boston
I wouldnt reccomend granite links if you hit the ball over 250 yards. Will turn into target golf and $120 a round. Great views good shape just nots of 3 irons off tees and semi blind shots. Good spot for dinner tho.
If you can i would rent a car and drive to plymouth(50 minutes) and play Pine Hills(both courses-i like nickaulas course better), Crosswinds, and Waverly oaks. All worth it in that order.

For cheap and 30 minute ride I would say South Shore country club in Hingham but not as good as the plymouth courses.

If you dont really care where you play and want as close as possible you can play presidents in quincy, braintree muni, or george wright in hyde park

If your pro has serious pull to get you on private courses go for the Country club in Brookline(10 minutes), Boston golf club in Hingham(30 minutes), Black Rock Hingham(30 minutes), TPC Boston which is in norton(45 minutes)
[/quote]

Thanks,
I will check them out.

[quote name='krj122' timestamp='1340207450' post='5135558']
I live in Boston

[/quote]

+1 - great post. If you need a quick and brutal fix the Fresh Pond 9-holer in Cambridge is easy and friendly and has decent rental gear (and a very well-supplied and discounted proshop). Granite Links can be very slow and for a long hitter is really overpriced - irons and 3w off most tees if you care about scoring (and not kiling anyone). the Plymouth courses are really very good. George Wright requires driving through some pretty sketchy areas but it's certainly an easy cab ride and while conditions can be rough the layout itself is a classic.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

If renting a car is an option to you, personally I think it would be crazy to not play Pine Hills in Plymouth. About 35 mins or do from the city. As good as it gets in New England. The Rees Jones course there is one of my favorites anywhere. This place will be stunning that time of year also.

Fwiw. As mentioned by a guy above. Butter Brook is actually a really great course. Two very dynamic nines there. Great rates as well.

Not sure how impossible it is to get on, but the international in Bolton is (I think) the second toughest course in the US. That would be fun to try your luck on.

[quote name='xjohnx' timestamp='1340500938' post='5156092']
If renting a car is an option to you, personally I think it would be crazy to not play Pine Hills in Plymouth. About 35 mins or do from the city. As good as it gets in New England. The Rees Jones course there is one of my favorites anywhere. This place will be stunning that time of year also.

Fwiw. As mentioned by a guy above. Butter Brook is actually a really great course. Two very dynamic nines there. Great rates as well.

Not sure how impossible it is to get on, but the international in Bolton is (I think) the second toughest course in the US. That would be fun to try your luck on.
[/quote]

I played The Pit in Pinehurst a few years back that was #8 on the hardest list at the time. My game is not in shape for that kind of beating again.

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1340634545' post='5163224']

[/quote]

I played The Pit in Pinehurst a few years back that was #8 on the hardest list at the time. My game is not in shape for that kind of beating again.
[/quote]

You can play the Oaks Course at the International (my favorite of the two)for $125 without a problem, it's the sister course to The Pines which from the tips is 8000+. If you would like to try the Oaks let me know your dates and I'll see if I can put together a 4some.

[/quote]

Unless your Pro is a former PGA Tour winner or you belong to Oakmont, Merion or somewhere like that, forget Brae Burn, Winchester, Charles River on any first class private club near the city ... won't happen. The Country Club? ABSOLUTELY not happening, unless you or your pro knows a member very well and he's willing to play with you.

Best bet close to Boston, is Granite Links in Quincy, as someone mentioned. Someone else mentioned The International. I'm a member, let me know if you want to play there. The International is also very accommodating if a Pro from another club calls ... but NOT cheap. The Oaks at The International accepts some public play, but that's not the famous course. www.theinternational.com

• 11 months later...

If you want to play a nice, public course, your best bet is Granite Links. It's kept in the best condition of any public course within 20 miles of Boston. The views are also fantastic; you'll enjoy them. As others have mentioned, it's somewhat gimmicky thought. Pinehills is nice as well, but maybe not worth the 50 miles and $110. If your club pro has connections, you may want to try Wollaston Golf Club which is in Milton, MA, about 15-20 min from downtown Boston. It's a nice, private club that's kept in mint condition and very close to the city. Not sure how they treat reciprocity requests.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* - Project X HZRDUS 65g
Titleist 917F2 15* w/ Project X HZRDUS 75g
Titleist 910H / 21* w/ Diamana Ahina 82g
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW w/ TrueTemper DG
Cleveland CG15 50*, 54*, 58* w/ TrueTemper DG
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[u][i][b]Fwiw. As mentioned by a guy above. Butter Brook is actually a really great course. Two very dynamic nines there. Great rates as well.[/b][/i][/u]

[/quote]

I live about 15min from there and honestly think it is too expensive. While it is a very nice course to play carts are mandatory if you play on the weekend before 2pm. $80 with cart to play before 2pm..No thanks. I'd rather get on Stow Acres North to walk or ride the south course.

While the International is a tough course. I'd say Red Tail or Townsend Ridge is just as difficult..

Red Tail is my favorite public track in MA. It will cost you on the weekends, but it's underpriced for what it is and a great value. It's just a bit of a hike (50 min.) from downtown Boston.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* - Project X HZRDUS 65g
Titleist 917F2 15* w/ Project X HZRDUS 75g
Titleist 910H / 21* w/ Diamana Ahina 82g
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW w/ TrueTemper DG
Cleveland CG15 50*, 54*, 58* w/ TrueTemper DG
Scotty Cameron Fastback

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1337977204' post='4978064']
I am heading to Boston as a guest of my wife on her business trip.
Any good suggestions for playing, preferably where I can rent clubs and get to without having to rent a car?
[/quote]

As others say above, great private tracks near boston, not in Boston. Some hard to get onto, some others easier. Depending on when in September you are here, we could play TPC (I'm a member), note that the tourney is Labor Day weekend, and we aerate the Monday after, so might not be all that great. Boston Golf Club is fantastic, I play there frequently with a friend of mine who is a member. Its a real treat and worth it if you can get on. Charles River, great old school DRoss track, but greens haven't been that great, they are so sloping that they are hard to get fast. Note, I believe that they are using River for the US AM early rounds this year, in conjunction with The Country Club.

• 2 weeks later...