Any Mid Cappers playing SGIs?

ruascott

Ughh...where to start. Been working hard at my game this year. Played a lot, including competitively, through high school. The last 12 years, played casually, and fairly infrequently. Started in the last 2 years playing a bit more, and this year have really started getting back into it (practicing, playing 2-3 times a week, and messing with clubs). As a teenager I got down to a mid-single digit (3-6). It ballooned in the years since, and this year I've worked it back down to 10-12 range.

I have never been a great ball striker. Didn't take much of any lessons growing up, just played and learned how to score. I could always drive it pretty well, and become a good scrambler around the greens. Even when I got down to a 3 hdcp, I'd bet I didn't hit but maybe 7-8 greens a round. And now its even worse. Driving is definitely my strength now, and the short game is slowly coming back into reasonable form.

HOWEVER.....my iron play is still rather atrocious. Back in the day, I played DCI 962s...not exactly the most forgiving club, but I managed to make it work. Looking back I would have been better off with something else, but I thought I was good or something, and should have a player's club. During my 10 yr down period I switched over to some Ping Zing 2s with graphite shafts, just because I had actually played the same clubs before, and I picked them up cheap. Never really played well with them. A couple years ago I bought some Mizuno MX25s, with Rifle 6.0 shafts online. Never hit them or anything, but the reviews on them were great....plus they were 1" longer than standard, and since I'm 6'3" I was convinced I probably needed them (never got fitted, mind you).

Well I have actually liked the MX25s. When I'm swinging well, they really perform nicely...but overall my iron play is wildly inconsistent....really have been struggling even finding greens with PWs. With the Rifles, these irons are very heavy, IMO. (I'm a moderate swing speed....driver around 98-102 mph, hit 7 iron around 155). I'm really questioning that these are the right clubs for me now. I do think the 6.0 is probably a bit too stiff, irregardless of weight.

I've now got myself wondering whether I should suck it up and move to some sort of SGI iron, in the hopes of bringing the glaring weakness in my game into line. I've been looking at the Wilson Staff line, and was originally leaning towards the Ci9.....but perhaps I should instead be looking at the D series....perhaps the Di9. Also have considered going to graphite, both for distance and to help with some mild tendinitis issues I've been having.

Any mid cappers ( 8-15) playing these irons or something similar? Or I way off base here?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i see alot of midhandicappers playing K15s, JPX800HDs, and the like.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

OP, I have a similar tale as yours however, my strengths are quite different. I was my course champ in 1991 with a personal record of 69 - time came by, military, etc., etc., and was basically away from the game for 20 years and now getting back into it. I consider my irons my strengths tho, and driving always my weakness.

I gamed some Wilson X-31's with MASSIVE square grooves and perimeter wrighting and now shoot Razr Tours. It's been an interesting transition.

My thoughts on where you are at:

I've recommended to a buddy and he purchased the Wilson Staff Di9's based on the reviews. However he's just somewhat starting - and it's the perfect club for him. I've hit them - and (yes somewhat obviously) to me they feel like shovels. Very wide, very much a "I can't miss with THIS" kinda feeling at adress. My results were OK - kinda what you'd expect. Not the club for me now but yeah for an SGI iron, they do the trick.

Hit the Ci9's or 11's and see how they go. If you're feeling a little more chancy - go with the Mizzie JPX 800 OR the 800 Pros - great club and I almost bought a set when I hit them. Plenty forgiving. I've heard a lot of good things about the Ping G-series as well.

After you hit the JPX pros, I know you will be tempted to buy 'em. Very solid club, but GL at finding them used for cheap.

Honestly I think you will be better than some SGI's and they may hold you back.

• 2 weeks later...

I play something a touch less GI-leaning, but I see no reason not to go all out (well, except for something like a completely hybrid set like Bazooka's or Hibores/HB3's).

I rail on Ping a lot (I really don't understand why you'd buy i20's or S56's when there's so many other great FORGED players' clubs out there), but their G-series is something special. We know about the durability, which I think is very underrated, and you do have to admit the feel is total cast and hard... but the performance is phenomenal. G2's and G5's weren't as good, but from the G10 up to the G20's, you'd be hard pressed to find better game-improvement irons.

One of the very best things they do is hide their offset, particularly in the G15's and G20's. The finish on the clubs and the subtle hosel shape... something about it makes that 4-iron (which has a TON of offset) look so confidence-inspiring at address. I really wish other companies would take note of this. Because let's face it, most decent golfers can hit their 8i through wedge fairlyy consistently (maybe even the 6i and 7i). But those low irons are a total b****, and one of the main reasons is all that offset (which actually is pretty necessary for most golfers) and how it screws you up when aiming/addressing the ball. Yet Ping has somehow made up for this with their aesthetics... and there isn't another iron set out there with low irons that give you the same kind of confidence.

Instead of buying a new set, I'd think about getting some lessons. A pro would at least be able to give you a few swing thoughts that allow you to come through the ball better. And yes at 6'3" you probably need at least +1"...at 6' they gave me +1". If you do decide that you'll take the Bubba route and figure it out, I know a lot of players who LOVE the JPX800s. Try those out since you like the MX series.

Honma G1X 9.5*
TaylorMade SLDR S HL *17
Titleist 915h 19*
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Tour-S Rustique *52, *56, and 60*
Scotty Cameron - Art of Putting Newport 34"

[quote name='edLmuldoon' timestamp='1340820710' post='5178616']
Instead of buying a new set, I'd think about getting some lessons. A pro would at least be able to give you a few swing thoughts that allow you to come through the ball better. And yes at 6'3" you probably need at least +1"...at 6' they gave me +1". If you do decide that you'll take the Bubba route and figure it out, I know a lot of players who LOVE the JPX800s. Try those out since you like the MX series.
[/quote]

I've been doing a lot of work lately, and have picked up on some set up ideas that have really helped wut crisp ball striking.

I still have it in my head that the rifles are too dang heavy for me. Am i correct that they are somewhere around 140g?

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1340826794' post='5179270']
[/quote]

I've been doing a lot of work lately, and have picked up on some set up ideas that have really helped wut crisp ball striking.

[b]I still have it in my head that the rifles are too dang heavy for me. Am i correct that they are somewhere around 140g[/b]?
[/quote]

Not unless you got 7.5s with lead weights :), For example, 6.0 weigh 120g, 5.5 weigh 115g etc etc

[quote name='Tony_Ireland' timestamp='1340837359' post='5180074']
[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1340826794' post='5179270']
[/quote]

[b]I still have it in my head that the rifles are too dang heavy for me. Am i correct that they are somewhere around 140g[/b]?
[/quote]

Not unless you got 7.5s with lead weights :), For example, 6.0 weigh 120g, 5.5 weigh 115g etc etc
[/quote]

Oh, ok thanks....I had trouble finding specs on these. They are 6.0. Plus they are 1 inch over standard, so that not sure how much that adds. All I know is they feel pretty bulky.

yep.. The last few years my iron play has gone down hill , gir went way down, I used mostly players cb's or gi irons. Was a 10 hcp went up to 12 and was climbing.. After I sold my gi irons I needed to borrow a set from my friend . They were TM burner plus iroms..hey now ! Loved them so much bought a new set for 269.00 from golf galacy .
Gir went up ,scoring came down the last 4 weeks have shot only 3 rounds in the 80's an 85, 81,& 80 the rest of the rounds were all in the seventy's , 8 rounds lowest 74 , two Tournament rounds of 79,78 to win a flight. HCp is now an 8 what a difference putting for birdie instead of scrambling for par or bogey.
Yeah these sgi irons are firmly in the bag!
gb

I'm a 8.6 that can't putt and I play G20's.

I've played clubs from blades to SGI and LOVE my G's!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"