2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you have a golf country club membership?

Just wondered what the group looks like in this regard.

Do you belong to a private course, why or why not? Where do you usually play?

I've been around golf all my life, worked for 3 years at a high end club during college, played the nicest courses and the munis.

I don't belong to a club becuase I don't want to pay $400/ month to play. Instead, I sock it away in retirement investments, and play the local muni for $17 (walking). I will retire young and play more than once per week at that point.

Where do you play?

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Club Member

Fast play, can walk right on without a tee time, beautiful in shape manicured fairways, players who replace divots, even tee boxes, great place to take clients golfing for business, wifeyy loves the pool, comraderie between members, no jean shorts, has its own workout facility (full with squat rack and dumbells up to 120lbs), walking on the course at 6pm and getting 18 in after the office....etc

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

This is the first year in the last 25 that I haven't maintained a membership with my club. Living too far away now and playing infrequently.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Not even close. I'm a muni player for the simple fact I'm broke. I also live in Socal where most of the nice country clubs require a large initial down and hefty monthly minimum. If i had the money the following would be considered: LA CC, Hillcrest, Bel Aire, and Riviera. I don't have much interest in joining a semi private club.

I'm a member at a semi-private club. The course is open to the public on most days but closed when a member's only event is being held. As a member I get unlimited play anytime with or without a cart, first choice of tee times on the weekends over the public, and inclusion into member only events. Not a bad deal for just under $1000 a year.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

I'm a member at a country club primarily for convenience. Most of my rounds are played on a whim when I have free time from work, etc. For instance, I can break free from work at 4 to 4:30 and know that if I head to the course, I will have it all to myself and will be able to play 9 holes in an hour without the worry of running into any traffic jams on the course. I can also bring my son to the course in the afternoon on the weekends and let him play away without holding anyone up. If not for being a member, I probably wouldn't play much as the public courses are just too crowded all the time. The last few times that I played the public courses in my area, it wound up taking 5 and a half hours to play - I don't have the time for that nor do I have the patience to wait 20 minutes between every shot. Moreover, I recently brought my son to the muni course that is a few miles from my house just to let him hit some range balls and was turned away because they said he had to be at least 12 years old to play. I thought there was a move to get kids into the game - how on earth is that supposed to help the cause? Nevertheless, I will never step foot on another one of the muni courses in my area again primarily out of principal as that truly rubbed me the wrong way.

Titleist TSi 3 / 9.5* / PX Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus / 15* / PX Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.5

Ping iCrossover 2 Iron / Ping 2.0 Tour Chrome 85X

Ping iBlade 4 Iron / PX LZ 6.0

Ping Blueprint 5-PW / PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM10 / 50.12F / 54.14F / 58.8M / PX LZ 6.0

Odyssey White Hot XG #9

I am a bit different than most of people here.

I maintain two memberships from below courses.

Private club: I belong there because I like to invite and entertain people I do business with. Nice club house, locker service, great dinining options and not having to book tee times.
cost a lot but part of doing business.

Semi private club: really cheap and enjoable local club. have a lot of people I relate to and drink beer with. Play dog fight every Sat or Sun if I am in town. condition is ok but who I play with and having fun is great experience.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

This is my first year belonging to a private country club. I joined mainly because I got tired of the 5-6 hour rounds at the local public tracks. Now in the afternoon on the weekends I can get my round in just over 2hrs and at the absolute worst 3hrs. There is only 3-4 public courses where close to where I live, but there are five private clubs.

Plus my club has three different restaurants, and a pool for my kids. $1600 a year for a family membership for unlimited golf and use of all the facilities.

The club pro is great and there is always some sort of game you can get in on during the weekends. Last weekend was a full handicap stableford tournament with the top ten in points advancing to the afternoon finals. The afternoon finals was full handicap shoot out with one golfer eliminated on each hole. They also have a similar big break competition going on as well, but I didn't get it that one.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

I was a member at a CC several years ago. My parents are members at a couple of clubs here in Michigan and in Florida so I do get to play at private courses pretty often. Most of my play comes at public courses and one semi private course. Here in Michigan where we have such a short playing season ( 4-6 mos) I don't care for paying club dues over the winter. I do like the conveniences CC offer, but not the cost that goes with them. I may join a private course again, but haven't found anywhere close to where I live that I would want to join.

Titleist TSr3  9* Hzrdus Black 4G 60
Titleist TSr2 16.5* Hzrdus Black 4G 70
Titleist TSr2 21* Hzrdus Black 4G 70
PXG Gen 4 0311 XP 5-GW
PXG Sugar Daddy II 52.10 56.10 and 60.10
Scotty Cameron Concept X 7.2 LTD

Titleist Pro V1

I have membership now, had one at a semi private, and before my current membership, I went the muni route for the winter.

Love having a membership as it gives you the freedom to go hit as many balls as you want, then play 1 hole or 18 holes. I don't like the costs though and I will probably go back to the muni route, just doesnt make sense at this point in my (and my families life) to be spending this much money on a golf membership. Maybe when our daughter is old enough to actually take advantage of the family membership deal, but not right now.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='twgolf' timestamp='1344456930' post='5431924']
This is my first year belonging to a private country club. I joined mainly because I got tired of the 5-6 hour rounds at the local public tracks. Now in the afternoon on the weekends I can get my round in just over 2hrs and at the absolute worst 3hrs. There is only 3-4 public courses where close to where I live, but there are five private clubs.

Plus my club has three different restaurants, and a pool for my kids. $1600 a year for a family membership for unlimited golf and use of all the facilities.

The club pro is great and there is always some sort of game you can get in on during the weekends. Last weekend was a full handicap stableford tournament with the top ten in points advancing to the afternoon finals. The afternoon finals was full handicap shoot out with one golfer eliminated on each hole. They also have a similar big break competition going on as well, but I didn't get it that one.
[/quote]

Where in Indiana are you? This sounds like a great deal for a private club.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1344455298' post='5431748']
Club Member

Fast play, can walk right on without a tee time, beautiful in shape manicured fairways, players who replace divots, even tee boxes, great place to take clients golfing for business, wifeyy loves the pool, comraderie between members, no jean shorts, has its own workout facility (full with squat rack and dumbells up to 120lbs), walking on the course at 6pm and getting 18 in after the office....etc
[/quote]
Ahhh...having crown up in Dayton, I can only imagine the club. Is it named after an old fashioned piece of machinery ;)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I belonged to one in the past but didn't play enough to justify maintaining the membership.

I just heard of a deal on a fairly nice club here in Maryland this week, $1,000 Initiation and $154 in monthly dues and something like $75 quarterly F&B. Only problem is it's about 15 miles from work in the opposite direction of where I live 25 miles the other way. So 40 miles away on a weekend wouldn't be too convenient.

Vokey

In the area where I live there are to many terrific upscale courses. I like variety so if I belonged to a club I'd feel obliged to support them. My wife's family lives in a small town. Wonderful CC. If I lived there I'd be a member in a heartbeat. Nothing against clubs, but I like being able to say, "hey, maybe I'll go to _____ tomorrow."

Living in NYC, I don't get to play much. Besides, I can't afford it anyways. To me, too expensive to pay initiation fee, amenities fee, etc...

Sure it's nice to be able to walk on at anytime but my bro in law lives in south eastern PA and there are good public courses everywhere, no wait, tee times always available. I guess it depends on where you live.

The only way I could see myself joining a club is if they had other services, I.e. swimming pool for the kids and summe camp activities, etc...

Im a club member.

Small town nice 18 hole course. 725.00 a year and 165.00 range pass. Works just fine for me. I work over nights and get to the course around 3 pm. Sometimes I never see anyone during a 9 hole round. Get a lot practice in hitting 2 or 3 balls on the same shot. I might stay on a green for 15 minutes putting if nobody is around. I love that place!!!

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1344467184' post='5432934']
Im a club member.

Small town nice 18 hole course. 725.00 a year and 165.00 range pass. Works just fine for me. I work over nights and get to the course around 3 pm. Sometimes I never see anyone during a 9 hole round. Get a lot practice in hitting 2 or 3 balls on the same shot. I might stay on a green for 15 minutes putting if nobody is around. I love that place!!!
[/quote]

You have no idea how good you have it. Living in Los Angeles I'd kill for your setup. Around here not only are prices extreme for clubs but it isn't even about the money. If you didn't grow up here or aren't incredibly connected to a lot of club members you are dreaming to get into LACC, Riviera, Bel Aire, etc...

CC member. Tee off first on Saturdays and Sundays. Finish in 3 to 31/2 hours max. If I had to play 5 hour muni golf would hang it up. The extra $$ is well worth it plus conditions normally are very good. Hit balls a few times a week and range balls are included. My range fees alone would cost at least $50 per week if I had to pay separately.

No club for me. Living in Scottsdale the availability and variety for good golf is too good for me to be tied into one club. Been looking at moving to the Nashville suburbs and if we do a country club will become more of a distinct possibility.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1344472370' post='5433416']
One_Putt We may be crossing paths. Looks like I will be moving to the Phoenix area from NC. Look forward to desert golf.
[/quote]
It is definitely a change up from traditional golf that is for sure. Keep your eyes on the southwest playing partners forum when you get here. All kinds of outings and foursome opportunities are posted there. Nashville is still a couple years off so I am going to be dealing with 115 degree days like today for a while longer.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1344459198' post='5432208']
Club Member

[/quote]
Ahhh...having crown up in Dayton, I can only imagine the club. Is it named after an old fashioned piece of machinery ;)
[/quote]

You mean like a cash register? Maybe ;)

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1344467184' post='5432934']
Im a club member.

[/quote]

Wow that's a great deal! I too live in a small town and live on the only golf course in town. But their costs are too much for what it is. The course is nice but there are better public and state run courses for way less money. Only problem is they are out of town but since I work out of town, a drive is no big deal to me. Don't get me wrong, I'd join if the price was a 1/3 of what they are charging now. It would have to be less for me to feel like I had to play the same course all the time and play alone at that.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1344475704' post='5433744']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1344459198' post='5432208']
Club Member

[/quote]
[/quote]

You mean like a cash register? Maybe ;)
[/quote]
yes like that :) Very nice, I had a chacne to play one of the courses many many years ago, not the signature course but it was still a privlidge to play there.

I grew up and went to school in Beavercreek. Which I understand has a pretty nice private club now as well.

Vokey

I've considered it, but on the fence. Being under 30, there's a good deal in the area for unlimited play, and it's a 27-hole facility that's pretty nice.

HOWEVER, I'm busy paying my car off right now and see a membership as a bonus. There are enough really good courses in my area that I don't want to prevent myself (financially) from playing all over the place.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX