Courses You Can Play on the Ocean?

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1345142243' post='5483774']
[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1345137926' post='5483370']
Saw your post in another thread about you heading down to Kiawah. I played Turtle Point when I was down there which had a three hole strecth right next to the beach, definitely felt the wind impact.

Enjoy.
[/quote]

Seems like Kiawah may be the place to go. I think I was just being impatient and wanted to see if there was anything closer. I may have to try to get out somewhere on the Cape.

This can't be a golf only trip as it's with the Wifey, so it'll be a normal vacation in which I will try to play twice. Anymore than two times within 5 days probably won't go over well.

If you could only play two courses in the Charleston Area (including the Kiawah Resort) which would you play? I think if we are going to be in that area, I will play the Ocean Course just for the experience. So really, it's what other course would you play? Links at the Dunes, Turtle Point, or any other? @mrfullwm looks like you'd play Osprey, but is there something better outside of Kiawah?
[/quote]

IMO, after the Ocean Course I would play Osprey. You will not find better courses open to the public in the Charleston area than the four Kiawah courses on the island. If you REALLY want to play holes on the ocean I would stick with Turtle Point before going up to the Links Course at Wild Dunes. Outside of 17 and 18 the Links course is pretty dull and you definitely don't get the upscale golf resort vibe there like you do at Kiawah. Both Wild Dunes courses are wedged in between houses and roads and don't feel all that special.

For something more affordable than Kiawah or the Links Course I'd recommend Rivertowne...it's a Palmer design about 20 minutes north of Charleston in Mt. Pleasant. It's a really nice layout and is always in good shape.

If you have a way to get on private courses down here I'd suggest Cassique or the River Course at Kiawah, or Yeamans Hall in Hanahan.

Ping G15 9 deg, Fujikura Motore F1 S
Ping i20 15 deg, Project X Black 6.0
Adams a12 Pro 19 deg, Matrix Ozik Altus
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Vokey 52, 56, KBS Custom S
Ping Scottsdale TR

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1345134029' post='5482976']
[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1345133341' post='5482882']
Go north young man!

[url="http://cabotlinks.com/"]http://cabotlinks.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Whoa, have you played there? I should have extended my original request through Canada especially with all the Canuck representation on the boards.
[/quote]

I have not. It just opened this summer and there has been some buzz. Mike Kiser, the developer of Bandon Dunes resort is one of the partners at Cabot. They are already planning a second course.

[quote name='mrfullwm' timestamp='1345148276' post='5484384']
[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1345142243' post='5483774']
[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1345137926' post='5483370']
Saw your post in another thread about you heading down to Kiawah. I played Turtle Point when I was down there which had a three hole strecth right next to the beach, definitely felt the wind impact.

Enjoy.
[/quote]

Seems like Kiawah may be the place to go. I think I was just being impatient and wanted to see if there was anything closer. I may have to try to get out somewhere on the Cape.

This can't be a golf only trip as it's with the Wifey, so it'll be a normal vacation in which I will try to play twice. Anymore than two times within 5 days probably won't go over well.

If you could only play two courses in the Charleston Area (including the Kiawah Resort) which would you play? I think if we are going to be in that area, I will play the Ocean Course just for the experience. So really, it's what other course would you play? Links at the Dunes, Turtle Point, or any other? @mrfullwm looks like you'd play Osprey, but is there something better outside of Kiawah?
[/quote]

IMO, after the Ocean Course I would play Osprey. You will not find better courses open to the public in the Charleston area than the four Kiawah courses on the island. If you REALLY want to play holes on the ocean I would stick with Turtle Point before going up to the Links Course at Wild Dunes. Outside of 17 and 18 the Links course is pretty dull and you definitely don't get the upscale golf resort vibe there like you do at Kiawah. Both Wild Dunes courses are wedged in between houses and roads and don't feel all that special.

For something more affordable than Kiawah or the Links Course I'd recommend Rivertowne...it's a Palmer design about 20 minutes north of Charleston in Mt. Pleasant. It's a really nice layout and is always in good shape.

If you have a way to get on private courses down here I'd suggest Cassique or the River Course at Kiawah, or Yeamans Hall in Hanahan.
[/quote]

Thanks. Im thinking maybe a couple nights in one of the villas. The sanctuary hotel looked really nice but I'd rather spend the money on golf. I don't mind a few bills a night but it was looking like 6 at a minimum.

I'd like to stay in Charelston so I just need to see how much savings if any I'd get through a package at Kiawah versus just paying to play. I may just make the drive down.

[quote name='Png78' timestamp='1345150450' post='5484584']
Yes. Edisto island golf course is in great shape. It is target golf with water on almost every hole. Patriots point is the local muni in Charleston that has 2 brutal holes on the water. wife can shop while you golf. Also stonoferry is south of charleston. Good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks. I will check those out.

I'm just afraid she'll do more damage at the stores than I would dropping 3-4 bills at the ocean course. Haha.

Dartboss,

I would like to second Wild Dunes and Fripp. When I saw your thread I remembered thinking the same things about playing on the ocean and Kiawah. While both have some holes on the ocean, I actually preferred the Harbour Course to the Links at Wild Dunes. The links was easier of the 2. Same for Fripp. The Davis Love III course is more challenging than the Oceanside. I loved my multiple rounds on all four courses each year so much that I don't feel as compelled to play Kiawah.

Enjoy your decision. They are all fun

[quote name='CaledoniaKid' timestamp='1345195366' post='5487520']
Dartboss,

I would like to second Wild Dunes and Fripp. When I saw your thread I remembered thinking the same things about playing on the ocean and Kiawah. While both have some holes on the ocean, I actually preferred the Harbour Course to the Links at Wild Dunes. The links was easier of the 2. Same for Fripp. The Davis Love III course is more challenging than the Oceanside. I loved my multiple rounds on all four courses each year so much that I don't feel as compelled to play Kiawah.

Enjoy your decision. They are all fun
[/quote]

With all these options, I think I just need to figure out how to move down to the Charleston area instead of just vacation.

Thanks for all the options. Based on the feedback, I think I've narrowed down the trip to the area of Charleston through Hilton Head. Now it's just figuring out how many rounds I can squeeze in without getting scolded.

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1345210891' post='5488328']

With all these options, I think I just need to figure out how to move down to the Charleston area instead of just vacation.

Thanks for all the options. Based on the feedback, I think I've narrowed down the trip to the area of Charleston through Hilton Head. Now it's just figuring out how many rounds I can squeeze in without getting scolded.
[/quote]

Hey, my house is for sale...come on down! You'll enjoy whichever courses you end up picking.

Ping G15 9 deg, Fujikura Motore F1 S
Ping i20 15 deg, Project X Black 6.0
Adams a12 Pro 19 deg, Matrix Ozik Altus
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Vokey 52, 56, KBS Custom S
Ping Scottsdale TR

[quote name='Czervik n Smails' timestamp='1345176686' post='5486930']
That course in Belize is surrounded by ocean. It's funny that they put so many water hazards on the course in addition. :D
[/quote]

Personally, there is nothing I can see about that course that would attract me to play it. Maybe to go snorkeling, but the golf course looks like a typical bad Florida layout.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1345224419' post='5489770']
Personally, there is nothing I can see about that course that would attract me to play it. Maybe to go snorkeling, but the golf course looks like a typical bad Florida layout.
[/quote]

From the time you step off the airplane and your bags get placed directly on the golf cart (with the exception of maintenance, the only motor vehicles on the island), it's a surreal experience.

Play it, then come back and judge.

It really is private golf at it's best. (Poor Bill Gates had to chopper in from his yacht since the boat slip was too small)

For the record, the (19 hole) layout is unbelievable.

X________________________________ Sign Here

There's also six holes on the Atlantic at the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach, a Nicklaus design. I'm playing there at the end of the month and can't wait. The other course there, Tom Watson's Conservatory Course, is the longest in Florida from the tips (7,772 yards). Playing that course too but not from those tees!

Shameless plugs:
facebook.com/VISITFLORIDAGolfInsider
Twitter @VFGolfInsider

[quote name='Ninja' timestamp='1345308469' post='5494598']
Go north young man!

[/quote]

Technically not on the ocean....it's the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Was there a month ago and it sure felt like we were playing along the ocean though....worth the trip.
[/quote]

I'm sure everyone that plays the course looks out and says "yeah, that's not the ocean, that's the Gulf of St. Lawrence."

:lol:

[quote name='jschwarb' timestamp='1345332155' post='5495832']
There's also six holes on the Atlantic at the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach, a Nicklaus design. I'm playing there at the end of the month and can't wait. The other course there, Tom Watson's Conservatory Course, is the longest in Florida from the tips (7,772 yards). Playing that course too but not from those tees!

Shameless plugs:
facebook.com/VISITFLORIDAGolfInsider
Twitter @VFGolfInsider
[/quote]

I played Hammock Beach a few years ago and it is a great course, right on the ocean. The course was in great shape and is tough, but fair. The last few holes are part of the "bear trap," and are tough from the tips. Lots of great golf in that area and more good golf right up north in Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1345344689' post='5496740']
Go north young man!

[/quote]

Was there a month ago and it sure felt like we were playing along the ocean though....worth the trip.
[/quote]

I'm sure everyone that plays the course looks out and says "yeah, that's not the ocean, that's the Gulf of St. Lawrence."
[/quote]

[color=#000080]I like you're thinking....I've played 2 ocean courses then. Cabot Links and Arcadia Bluffs.....in Michigan!![/color]

Fisher's Island Club , NY. Only course i had to take a boat to get to. What a treat it was too. 17 of 18 holes with a view of the ocean. Some tee boxes were practically on the beach. A great experience and hope to be back some day.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1345515744' post='5507180']
Fisher's Island Club , NY. Only course i had to take a boat to get to. What a treat it was too. 17 of 18 holes with a view of the ocean. Some tee boxes were practically on the beach. A great experience and hope to be back some day.
[/quote]The level of "I hate you" just rose. I've wanted to play there for many, many years. Being from RI... even more so. :getoffmylawn!:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1345344689' post='5496740']
Go north young man!

[/quote]

[/quote]

:lol:
[/quote]

I don't think the it necessarily has to be the Atlantic, just a mass expanse of water. I know the great lakes can appear as such. I just want that feeling of playing on the edge. It seems like it would be an experience.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1345552727' post='5508582']
[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1345515744' post='5507180']
[/quote]The level of "I hate you" just rose. I've wanted to play there for many, many years. Being from RI... even more so. :getoffmylawn!:

--kC
[/quote]

Second that hatred. Haha. I'm really hoping to get out there sometime.