Back Problems May End My Golfing

maverick

I have never had back problems in my life but at 65 y/o I have them now. I have ben trying to correct my swing and increase my SS. But recently every round gives me a very sore back. The last time I played I tried to back off and swing easy but still the pain at the end of the round.

I cannot take pain pills so I am depressed. :-( I have been playing golf close to 50 years and the thought of quitting is not good.

I wonder if a different type of swing would help or possibly a brace or wrap???? Any suggestions from players with back problems would be appreciated. ?

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1345257705' post='5492654']
I have never had back problems in my life but at 65 y/o I have them now. I have ben trying to correct my swing and increase my SS. But recently every round gives me a very sore back. The last time I played I tried to back off and swing easy but still the pain at the end of the round.

I cannot take pain pills so I am depressed. :-( I have been playing golf close to 50 years and the thought of quitting is not good.

I wonder [b][u]if a different type of swing would help[/u][/b] or possibly a brace or wrap???? Any suggestions from players with back problems would be appreciated. ?
[/quote]

Back, neck, hip, knee, heart, and &!(#...I seem to have had most, if not it all it...I guess a guy could always go for less distance, while using less effort. Cheating with less than full extension, and the lessening of the proper, and the accepted positions might help as well.. Whenever you hear someone say....He swings like an old man, then you know what my reference to cheating is... :lol:

Whether anyone knows it or not, swinging like an old man is by choice [b](a protective measure so to speak)[/b] and not because you can't do it... :) ...That's [u][b]MY[/b][/u] story, and I'm sticking to it... :friends:

Good Luck With That $tuff Maverick.. :drinks:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Jack Nicklaus and Freddie come to mind as golfers whose career was disrupted by back problems and they both have very defined and strict stretching exercises they do before and after golf. It is part of their lives.
you might want to see an exercise or Physical therapist who knows what type of stretching exercises golfers should do to help you.
I know for myself I could not play if I did not do them before and after playing and I am almost 63.

Im 45. About a year and a half ago I was doing my lawn and reached under the bushes with the weedeater when I felt (and I think heard) a pop in my lower back at my tailbone. I had never had an issue with my back whatsoever. That put me out of golf for about 3 weeks and initially i could barely stand up straight. Well, since that initial incident I have periodically had that same feeling in my back. It hasnt been the debilitating issue it was previously but maybe I wake up with the feeling..feel a little twinge there when im doing something. Today at the range I bent over to pick up a bucked of balls and pop..my back went out again. Now Im worried. Is this going to be a problem for me the rest of my life. I have a bad feeling that it is.

I've always had lower back pain, but it's not limited my swing as of yet. As a 54 year old, I've tried chiropractic care, with limited success. Putting on 50 pounds ove the last ten years hasn't helped either, so I know carrying around stomach weight increases the stress on my back. So, I've done a few things over the last 5 months which have really made an improvement in my life. The first thing was to cut out dairy intake. I no longer consume dairy products except an occasional pizza, or have cream in coffee if we happen to go to the city for the day. I've gone from 260 to 243 (I hope to get back to 180 pounds soon) and am finally not feeling as though I'm carrying a basketball in my stomach. Cutting back meat has also been beneficial. We try to eat as much raw food as possible, also potatoes and rice. I realize it's a personal decision, but after my whole life struggling with stomach issues, I'm convinced that dairy has been a bad thing for my health. The next thing is that I've been seeing a physio who does acupuncture. I've had 5 sessions now. It's a weird experience having your back muscles involuntarily tighten/spasm around that little needle, then let go. This type of thing has done more than any chiropractor has done for me in the last 15 years. I don't have any deterioration issues at this point, so it's good to know a lot of my discomfort has been muscular. I still believe chiropractic care is useful, but this accupunture thing is wonderful. The physio located areas on my back and forearms I wasn't even aware were troublesome, but you can really feel the intensity of the muscle pain when the area tightens. I apologize for being long-winded here. You may have other health related issues which cause your pain, but I sincerely urge you to try what I have, especially if you have some weight to lose.

I forgot to mention I am 5"-10" and about 140 lbs exercising weekly until the last few months. I am limber enough to touch the palms of my hands on the floor. So weight and lack of exercise is not the problem.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I have back problems. I avoid having them become debilitating by keeping very limber, keep weight off and you need to maintain core strength to take pressure off muscles and tendons having to carry too much weight. I still use hot water and stretching prior to playing sometimes. Weird thing is, if I carry my bag, I seem to have not nearly the issues I get from the cart ride. Good luck.

yeah

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1345340920' post='5496474']
I forgot to mention I am 5"-10" and about 140 lbs exercising weekly until the last few months. I am limber enough to touch the palms of my hands on the floor. So weight and lack of exercise is not the problem.
[/quote]

Maverick. Good to hear you're in good shape. The fact that you're trying to change your swing, and the sore back resulting, may simply indicate you've overused certain muscles. You might just need to rest, or see a good physio. Best of luck.

[quote name='Nspiel58' timestamp='1345429911' post='5500946']
[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1345340920' post='5496474']
[/quote]

Maverick. Good to hear you're in good shape. The fact that you're trying to change your swing, and the sore back resulting, may simply indicate you've overused certain muscles. You might just need to rest, or see a good physio. Best of luck.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I did have severe problems in the Spring due to trying to swing fast and your diagnosis is probably right on that. Now I have dialed it down but am still in pain.

I am flying out to see my (private) doctors this weekend, returning early next week and will see what they have to say. One scan showed a fracture in my back last year. No one seemed worried about it so nothing was ever followed up on that. About that time had some tests get mixed up by the VA and it just got overlooked. I may have them re-scan that.

Quiting is not an option in my mind. :-)

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Two words: Yo ga.

Not sure if I have a proper frame of reference because I'm 28 but I've had periodic lower back pain for years. When I started doing yoga it all went away. When I stop doing yoga, it reappears periodically.

Also, a really good stretch for me is to sit down on the floor, extend my legs, touch my toes (not important whether you actually touch them or not as long as you're in the stretch). While in stretch, try to touch your chin to your sternum, and hold it. When done properly it really hits the lower spine and does wonders for me.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I have hurt my back a few times in my 40s (47 now), once really bad. I won't say "I have a bad back", cause I think I fall just short of that, but my lower back has never been strong, and I don't want a repeat of the last time. I could barely get out of bed for a week because of the muscle spasms. Golf has always been partly to blame in every case.

One of the things I have done, which may or may not be relevant for you, is to try and take shallower divots.

I used to be one of those guys who would play a wedge off their back foot and take a big frisbee sized divot, no more.

It's been hell on my game and a very hard transistion for me that I'm still fighting with, but in the end I think it's a better swing and less punishing on my back.

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1345332291' post='5495852']
Jack Nicklaus and Freddie come to mind as golfers whose career was disrupted by back problems and they both have very defined and strict stretching exercises they do before and after golf. It is part of their lives.
you might want to see an exercise or Physical therapist who knows what type of stretching exercises golfers should do to help you.
I know for myself I could not play if I did not do them before and after playing and I am almost 63.
[/quote]

This is really important. I am "only" 52 but I also have to stretch every single day, or I will regret it. Despite that, I still had a recent episode, so I am starting physical therapy.

Also, they have NSAID ointment (prescription) that you can rub on the affected area. It is an anti-inflammatory.

As a chiropractor, I highly recommend getting checked out. I treat a ton of golfers, almost all presenting with the same thing, but I'm not going to pretend I know what you have by reading your post... Golf often causes imbalances in the spinal musculature and the rapid rotation can lead to a host of problems, I highly recommend getting into a good manual adjusting CHIRO, that does passive therapies, muscle work, and emphasizes a proper exercise routine (no snake oil or 10000 treatment plans)...
Feel free to pm me if you need help locating one and I'll see if I know anyone in your area...

Hope you get to feeling better, hate to lose a fellow golfer!

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 10 months later...

An update on my condition. My back is now not too bad at all. I have quit trying to kill the ball. My SS numbers are fine if I can be more consistent in the higher range I'll still be very competitive. I did take some time off from golf because of outside factors. I have just gotten a Skypro and I can certainly improve on my form which should translate into better scores/distance. That is much more desirable than trying to swing like a teenager.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='Nspiel58' timestamp='1345334552' post='5496024']
I've always had lower back pain, but it's not limited my swing as of yet. As a 54 year old, I've tried chiropractic care, with limited success. Putting on 50 pounds ove the last ten years hasn't helped either, so I know carrying around stomach weight increases the stress on my back. So, I've done a few things over the last 5 months which have really made an improvement in my life. The first thing was to cut out dairy intake. I no longer consume dairy products except an occasional pizza, or have cream in coffee if we happen to go to the city for the day. I've gone from 260 to 243 (I hope to get back to 180 pounds soon) and am finally not feeling as though I'm carrying a basketball in my stomach. Cutting back meat has also been beneficial. We try to eat as much raw food as possible, also potatoes and rice. I realize it's a personal decision, but after my whole life struggling with stomach issues, I'm convinced that dairy has been a bad thing for my health. The next thing is that I've been seeing a physio who does acupuncture. I've had 5 sessions now. It's a weird experience having your back muscles involuntarily tighten/spasm around that little needle, then let go. This type of thing has done more than any chiropractor has done for me in the last 15 years. I don't have any deterioration issues at this point, so it's good to know a lot of my discomfort has been muscular. I still believe chiropractic care is useful, but this accupunture thing is wonderful. The physio located areas on my back and forearms I wasn't even aware were troublesome, but you can really feel the intensity of the muscle pain when the area tightens. I apologize for being long-winded here. You may have other health related issues which cause your pain, but I sincerely urge you to try what I have, especially if you have some weight to lose.
[/quote]I think many many people would be surprised how good they would feel eliminating dairy and caffeine, me included...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1