iPhone 5

strick13

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people really carry those? That thing is huge. More like a micro tablet than a phone.

I'm definitely not anti-android, but I want a phone that fits in my pocket and in my palm. Meh, maybe I'm just not hip enough. I'm okay with that. Loved my iPhone 3GS, that's why I'm sticking with Apple. Besides, all those features Samsung highlights in their commercials (shared playlists, sharing photos, etc) I would never use those.

And on a slightly related topic, I just read that Blackberry just had another outage. That's probably the final nail in their coffin . . .

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

Yeah I mean I like apple for the pure simplicity of their phones... That said I laid my 4s on top of a galaxy s3 and it is a mini phone compared to it... Couldn't imagine carrying one of those... Isn't that why we have tablets?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Beavs17' timestamp='1348249666' post='5674389']
The design of the S3 is so thin, I hardly even notice that its in my pocket. I love the big screen, and after having it there is no way I could ever go smaller. To each his own......
[/quote]

I absolutely agree. I'm loving my S3. I came from an S1, and that's where the i5 "upgraded" to size-wise.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1347837203' post='5648623']
[quote name='col902' timestamp='1347817701' post='5647475']
I just don't understand why anyone would buy an Iphone 5 over a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Nexus.... Iphone is catching up on year old technology. Could someone explain this to me?
[/quote]

Marketing, sheeple like iPhones because they're pretty and everyone has one. Apple products (beside iPods, and computers (for pro audio only)) are waaaaaay behind everything else. WOW they made the screen .5 inches bigger REVOLUTIONARY! WOW the A6 chip REVOLUTIONARY! It's still the same watered down, lame OS with over priced accessories.

[b]Rant from a former Verizon salesman over[/b]
[/quote]

Talk about throwing away any possible credit. No offense to you personally, but I've never met more incompetent people than those that work at cell phone stores (Verizon especially).

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

I got my iphone 5 delivered today and I LOVE it! Just feels amazing, it's beautiful, and extremely fast.

Agreed, I literally laugh at some of the features they point out. And that ginormous screen is NOT an improvement IMO.

You simply cannot beat the quality from a physical standpoint either (video posted by AndroidAuthority too!)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY[/media]

[attachment=1356363:aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg]

EDIT: cannot really read the fine print in that picture, here's a link where you can [url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/17/it-doesnt-take-a-genius-samsung_n_1891272.html?ref=topbar"]http://www.huffingto...html?ref=topbar[/url]

FWIW, I also love Samsung as a company. Never had a TV from anyone else, I can remember at least 4 previous Samsung cell phones I had that were just great. I just prefer the iPhone now.

While the technology is arguably better in other phones I stick with the iphone and apple products in general for the reliably factor. I've never had any hardware, firmware, or software issues I can remember in the 5 or so years of owning an Iphone. I've had friends with droids, samsungs, and HTC's that always seem to be fighting constant battles with their phones and often get them replaced. The Iphone's OS just seems to run flawlessly compared to it's competition.

[quote name='Shwagin1066' timestamp='1348286213' post='5676843']
I just don't understand why anyone would buy an Iphone 5 over a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Nexus.... Iphone is catching up on year old technology. Could someone explain this to me?
[/quote]

Marketing, sheeple like iPhones because they're pretty and everyone has one. Apple products (beside iPods, and computers (for pro audio only)) are waaaaaay behind everything else. WOW they made the screen .5 inches bigger REVOLUTIONARY! WOW the A6 chip REVOLUTIONARY! It's still the same watered down, lame OS with over priced accessories.

[b]Rant from a former Verizon salesman over[/b]
[/quote]

Talk about throwing away any possible credit. No offense to you personally, but I've never met more incompetent people than those that work at cell phone stores (Verizon especially).
[/quote]

Understandable, corporate store employees are morons. Those of us that worked at premium retailers are not. There is a difference, I'm worked on both sides. My credibility remains solidly intact :)

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

I've*

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[/quote]

Rant from a former Verizon salesman over
[/quote]

What do you have to say about that watered-down OS now? :taunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByCdDVXCmQ

so i was on the Oct 5 list to get my iPhone 5 shipped since i didn't order until 7am CST of pre-order day. I got my email this morning and should get it next thursday - currently in china right now.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

[quote name='Yanki01' timestamp='1348344516' post='5678681']
so i was on the Oct 5 list to get my iPhone 5 shipped since i didn't order until 7am CST of pre-order day. I got my email this morning and should get it next thursday - currently in china right now.
[/quote]

I did not pre Order but decided to walk into the Sprint store yesterday at Noon. Still had three left so I picked up one for me and one for the wife. So far I love it. I did the whole Android thing but everytime the firmware changed I had some new issue pop up. I want a phone for reliability. I have never had issues with my iphones in the past. If you look at just specs the iphone is not the best phone on the market but look at the whole package and I think it is.

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1348346267' post='5678771']
Am I the only one who finds the Android vs Apple fanboyism just so... sad?

Maybe not sad- I don't know. I just don't get the whole "my phone is better than your phone" thing...
[/quote]

I'm with you, man. But my horsey avatar is better than your puppy one.

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1348346267' post='5678771']
Am I the only one who finds the Android vs Apple fanboyism just so... sad?

Maybe not sad- I don't know. I just don't get the whole "my phone is better than your phone" thing...
[/quote]

I agree. While it may not seem so given the amount of posts I contributed to this thread against the Galaxy S3, I only posted them because of people trashing the iphone. I'm just about positive that anyone who purchases this phone will not be disappointed, so I threw my 2 cents in. I do not understand how so many people love to hate apple, the products they make are just fantastic.

The two things that I think Apple needs to adapt are adding an SD slot and updating the iOS skin. iOS looks terribly dated in its current form and despite the spread of WiFi and LTE coverage there are some times that you just can't get access over the air and it's nice not to have to pick and choose what is and isn't on your phone. Music and video eat up space in a hurry and having the option to go up to a 64GB micro SD on other devices is a huge plus. There's also the bonus of being able to retrieve the data from the card if the phone itself is non-operational.

Apple devices certainly have their benefits and my choices to avoid them are simply both preference and a distaste for their patent mongering. To each his own though.

I do hope they get iOS 6 maps fixed for everyone's sake :p http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1348542392' post='5689877']
The two things that I think Apple needs to adapt are adding an SD slot and updating the iOS skin. iOS looks terribly dated in its current form and despite the spread of WiFi and LTE coverage there are some times that you just can't get access over the air and it's nice not to have to pick and choose what is and isn't on your phone. Music and video eat up space in a hurry and having the option to go up to a 64GB micro SD on other devices is a huge plus. There's also the bonus of being able to retrieve the data from the card if the phone itself is non-operational.

Apple devices certainly have their benefits and my choices to avoid them are simply both preference and a distaste for their patent mongering. To each his own though.

I do hope they get iOS 6 maps fixed for everyone's sake :p [url="http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/"]http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/[/url]
[/quote]

The maps things is drastically overblown. Turn by turn directions work pretty much just fine. It just has issues with searching for things such as 'Restaurant' or 'Coffee' etc. It also doesn't have MassTransit routes. Which for everyone outside of the major cities (NYC, Chicago, DC, etc) its a non-issue. I feel like people are making this out to be a application which doesn't work and is horrible, when in actuality its significantly improved from the previous Maps app and works fine for 90% of the instances. I had a 3 hour drive this past weekend, which I used the Turn by Turn directions for, it worked flawlessly.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[/quote]

I doubt this will ever happen, for 3 reasons:

1. Adds size and complexity of construction
2. Apple no doubt enjoys the huge margins on the incremental memory cost.
3. Most importantly, its fundamentally incompatible with the iOS user experience. Users don't directly manipulate files in iOS: it has no equivalent to OS X's Finder or Windows Explorer. Adding a memory slot changes that, and requires users to manually move files around (and remember which card they put them on). It also creates scenarios that are difficult to resolve satisfactorily, like: what happens when the user ejects a card containing in-use data? (If you're old enough to remember floppy drives, you'll remember the Mac handled this by not having an eject button and PCs handled it with an inscrutable "Abort, Retry Fail Message".)

[quote name='cdnglf' timestamp='1348585362' post='5692135']
[/quote]

3. Most importantly, its fundamentally incompatible with the iOS user experience. Users don't directly manipulate files in iOS: it has no equivalent to OS X's Finder or Windows Explorer. Adding a memory slot changes that, and requires users to manually move files around (and remember which card they put them on). It also creates scenarios that are difficult to resolve satisfactorily, like: what happens when the user ejects a card containing in-use data? (If you're old enough to remember floppy drives, you'll remember the Mac handled this by not having an eject button and PCs handled it with an inscrutable "Abort, Retry Fail Message".)
[/quote]

Guess we'll see how things go in the future, but you're likely correct.

Still can't agree with the use of the Lightning connector though. Micro USB would have allowed generic charging accessories to be used which would have been a huge benefit for customers. It also would have allowed for HDMI Out and DLNA control with currently existing tech. Either connector would have required some type of adaptor for old accessories, but at least Micro USB would have given users of the new iPhone and iPod some flexibility now and down the road. Of course then Apple couldn't make $29 a pop off of the adaptors that they currently have a monopoly on.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1348629689' post='5696633']
[quote name='cdnglf' timestamp='1348585362' post='5692135']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Guess we'll see how things go in the future, but you're likely correct.

Still can't agree with the use of the Lightning connector though. Micro USB would have allowed generic charging accessories to be used which would have been a huge benefit for customers. It also would have allowed for HDMI Out and DLNA control with currently existing tech. Either connector would have required some type of adaptor for old accessories, but at least Micro USB would have given users of the new iPhone and iPod some flexibility now and down the road. Of course then Apple couldn't make $29 a pop off of the adaptors that they currently have a monopoly on.
[/quote]

There are some articles on the web about some of the advantages of the lightning connector. There are some things it can do that Micro USB can't (most notably, it charges faster). The fact that its reversible is a nice touch - I find micro usb fiddly and cheap-feeling. Apple did make a micro usb adapter for the old dock connector to comply with a European movement towards standardizing on micro usb charging. I think they've announced one for the lightning connector, but I'm not sure.

Yep, there is indeed an adapter, but as it isn't free it's more money customers will have to shell out.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410170,00.asp

I'd like to see more information on this as well. Some cosmetic wear is normal over time but i'd be less than pleased to open a new in box item and find the finish already scratched in places, especially when the phone is a few hundred dollars..