2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

UPDATED VIDEO & PICS: Nike Covert Drivers, Woods & Irons

HipCheck

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='novakjrp1' timestamp='1354119783' post='5989753']
If Tiger put's this driver in play right away (which we all know he almost never does), we will see pre-orders for this driver going through the roof! My bet is that he won't though. Hope I'm wrong.
[/quote]

Agreed. If he helped in the design of this driver then one would think it will be in the bag right away.

Spoke with Joe LaCava, Tiger's caddy and Tiger does not have the Covert in the bag. Joe didn't know how much Tiger had tested the driver

Rick Nichols, Nikes Tour Rep said Tiger has been testing it and likes it but wants to fine tune things some more before it goes in the bag

Joe did say that Tiger tested the new ball yesterday and while it's not in play yet he plans on working with it more

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1354127279' post='5990465']
Spoke with Joe LaCava, Tiger's caddy and Tiger does not have the Covert in the bag. Joe didn't know how much Tiger had tested the driver

Rick Nichols, Nikes Tour Rep said Tiger has been testing it and likes it but wants to fine tune things some more before it goes in the bag

Joe did say that Tiger tested the new ball yesterday and while it's not in play yet he plans on working with it more

Greg
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Greg, man I need your job. Sounds like the same old TW with his equipment....

Greg
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Greg! I wonder if he will take it out for a test run on for a round or two and then decide if it will make his bag before the 2013 season starts. I wonder if he will also stick with the same specs if he does make the change.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1354127431' post='5990475']

Greg
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Greg, man I need your job. Sounds like the same old TW with his equipment....
[/quote]

You would think he would do Nike a favor and just throw it in the bag since this is an "unofficial" event. They've done such a good job building hype around this club, that Tiger putting it immediately into play (even if only termporarily) would raise the hype substantially more. But we all know Tiger isn't one to go out of his way for others. It just would have seemed like a nice payback to Nike for sticking by him through his scandals.....

[quote name='novakjrp1' timestamp='1354131449' post='5990803']

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

You would think he would do Nike a favor and just throw it in the bag since this is an "unofficial" event. They've done such a good job building hype around this club, that Tiger putting it immediately into play (even if only termporarily) would raise the hype substantially more. But we all know Tiger isn't one to go out of his way for others. It just would have seemed like a nice payback to Nike for sticking by him through his scandals.....
[/quote]

While I agree with what you are saying, it could bite Nike in the bum if he put it in play for this event without getting it where he needs it then goes out and drives poorly. Even worse if he drives poorly and then at the beginning of next year, goes back to his old driver for a while.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='novakjrp1' timestamp='1354131449' post='5990803']

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree that it would be a nice gesture for Tiger to put the Covert in play, but I'm sure Nike wouldnt want him putting in a driver that he may not feel comfortable with yet or hasnt been able to dial in before putting it in the bag. Putting the club prematurely in his bag regardless whether its an "unofficial" event could backfire. He may not hit one good drive and spray it even more than his current driver and that may get some bad publicity.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1354132345' post='5990897']
May be an "unofficial" event but Tiger still plays to win. He's only going to have a club in the bag if he is 100% sure that it will help him accomplish that goal.

Greg
[/quote]greg you are right tiger wants to win my guess when the testing is done the new ball and driver wil be in the bag thank again for the info

Those irons look horrible! Looks like an old slingshot without the swoosh.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Not too bad looking for the market they are for. The name on the sole is a overkill but they seem pretty confidence inspiring from the top.

The one thing that confuses me a bit is the blending of "Covert" and "VR_S" over both players and recreational lines. Used to be that VR and SQ pretty clearly separated the lines (and pricepoints). Then everything got rolled under VR, with VR Pro, and then VR_S sort of taking the old SQ slot. Now the premium driver not only shares a name with GI irons, but has the VR_S family name and two tiers split by "Performance" and "Tour".

I suppose with the next cycle of refreshes when the VR Pro stuff gets rolled over, they might get back to a cleaner distinction.

Of course, in practice none of this matters more that a fart in the wind, but I always find manufacturers naming/tiering conventions kind of interesting.

The look of the irons is growing on me, but not enough to kick the VR-S Forged outta the bag. Driver is a must.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Not bad from address for GI iron. The cavity is extreme but compared the other OEM's this iron would compete against, it's right up there with that "techy" look.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1354138280' post='5991485']
The look of the irons is growing on me, but not enough to kick the VR-S Forged outta the bag. Driver is a must.
[/quote]

+1 I'll try the Covert irons but very unlikely they will be able to replace the VrS forged. Covert drivers are awesome, same for the hybrids. Haven't spent any time with the any of the Covert fairways yet.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

[quote name='QuickFeet' timestamp='1354147215' post='5992221']
[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1354138280' post='5991485']
[/quote]

+1 I'll try the Covert irons but very unlikely they will be able to replace the VrS forged. Covert drivers are awesome, same for the hybrids. Haven't spent any time with the any of the Covert fairways yet.
[/quote]
Can't wait to hit the driver. My rep should be by my store in the next couple of weeks with demo product. With the price drop, I just picked up a couple of VR Limited Fwys so I doubt I'll check out the fwy right away, but I'll probably give the new Tour Hyb a look.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352176100' post='5897433']
[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1352174427' post='5897333']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352173842' post='5897277']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1352173787' post='5897273']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352172849' post='5897195']
OK, I've had looks at it. I kind of like it. The cavity is a novel idea. Kinda "Hammer-ish", but it has a chance of actually working. Put an Attas 3 in it, and we'll be in business...
[/quote]

Here you go. Again.........
[/quote]
Here I "HO" again...
[/quote]

Not on your own!

Dude, quit ho'ing and golf with us!
[/quote]
After I buy a driver! But wait, I need irons first! LOL
[/quote]
i'm a little late to this tread but reading through this the "HO-MANCE" between you two is very amusing!! :cheesy:

as far as the new clubs are concerned I am going to keep an open mind and let the looks, feel, sound and gameability be my deciding factors, but I do like the adjustablity !!

[quote name='lenny318' timestamp='1354200384' post='5994553']
OK, I've had looks at it. I kind of like it. The cavity is a novel idea. Kinda "Hammer-ish", but it has a chance of actually working. Put an Attas 3 in it, and we'll be in business...
[/quote]

[/quote]
Here I "HO" again...
[/quote]

Not on your own!

[/quote]
[/quote]
i'm a little late to this tread but reading through this the "HO-MANCE" between you two is very amusing!! :cheesy:

as far as the new clubs are concerned I am going to keep an open mind and let the looks, feel, sound and gameability be my deciding factors, but I do like the adjustablity !!
[/quote]

Lol. T and I always go back and forth about newly released clubs. He is a great guy and it is all in good fun. I like the "HO-Mance" reference, very true!!! I cannot wait to hear as more members hit this driver and report back to us all. The initial review on this thing has been amazing...

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1354207250' post='5995067']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Here I "HO" again...
[/quote]

Not on your own!

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol. T and I always go back and forth about newly released clubs. He is a great guy and it is all in good fun. I like the "HO-Mance" reference, very true!!! I cannot wait to hear as more members hit this driver and report back to us all. The initial review on this thing has been amazing...
[/quote]
I guess I'm just jealous of your HO-MANCE-UAL relationship...... Sorry just had to i'll stop!

[quote name='lenny318' timestamp='1354227150' post='5996927']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1354207250' post='5995067']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Here I "HO" again...
[/quote]

Not on your own!

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I guess I'm just jealous of your HO-MANCE-UAL relationship...... Sorry just had to i'll stop!
[/quote]

Lol. You can join in too as long as you don't mind spending a little $$$...