2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Local First Tee donation (declined)

I sent an email to the local First Tee offering to donate quite a few left handed clubs.

They told me that if they were older than 2005 to forget about it. Like I told them my clubs do not carry date stamps. There was/is no junk.

A kid who can't afford to buy a set of clubs is going to turn down forged Wilson RM's? 7 out of 10? Same for a set of Mizuno MX 29's?

Ten or more wedges that are 8's. Same for some hybrids and fairway woods. Since I'm not a driver ho there are very few of them.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am. A place that depends on handouts shunning equipment. Equipment that I could only have dreamed about as a kid.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you to make the offer...I say post them in the pay it forward forum...I gave a set to a 7 year old little girl...I felt great about it!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

It may seem a bit off but I have seen the storage closet at our local First Tee and it is stuffed to the gills with donations. Scores of bags filled with full sets of clubs. I imagine that they had to put an age limit on the gear they have donated or they would have to rent a second storage unit. Having also worked at a homeless teen shelter, you wouldn't believe some of the things we get donated. Even though peoples intentions are whole hearted, we would get loads of ripped clothe, outdated styles and used socks and underwear. It actually take quite a bit of time to go through these donations. So OP, I applaud your efforts to give back to the community and your gear is not junk.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1357691188' post='6193473']
It may seem a bit off but I have seen the storage closet at our local First Tee and it is stuffed to the gills with donations. Scores of bags filled with full sets of clubs. I imagine that they had to put an age limit on the gear they have donated or they would have to rent a second storage unit. Having also worked at a homeless teen shelter, you wouldn't believe some of the things we get donated. Even though peoples intentions are whole hearted, we would get loads of ripped clothe, outdated styles and used socks and underwear. It actually take quite a bit of time to go through these donations. So OP, I applaud your efforts to give back to the community and your gear is not junk.
[/quote]

I agree that when taking donations, you are likely coming to come across some junk. But in the OPs case I think that The First Tee turning away clubs is uncalled for. It really doesn't take that long to go through some clubs and toss them in a "Keep" or "Junk" pile.

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1357693957' post='6193759']
[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1357691188' post='6193473']
[/quote]

I agree that when taking donations, you are likely coming to come across some junk. But in the OPs case I think that The First Tee turning away clubs is uncalled for. It really doesn't take that long to go through some clubs and toss them in a "Keep" or "Junk" pile.
[/quote]

True. going through someones bag of clubs is a lot easier than going through someones bag of used clothing.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

Sounds as if there is more equipment than kids. Which I can believe.
I'm under orders to clean house. The clubs are going somewhere.
The couple extra bags will go to some needy friends who's bags have seen better days. They can buy me a beer.

Is the First Tee over funded and under utilized?

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

They have junior clubs for all the kids at my local first tee. The donations (adult clubs) are sorted thru and sold off to raise cash for providing scholorships. They have a $5 and $15 for individual clubs ( putters, wedges, driversetc)and I see some gems in there that people snatch up as the course gets a lot of traffic.

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1357685250' post='6192875']
While I'm a benevolent person I'm not that benevolent. The shipping costs are not something I'm willing to absorb.
[/quote]Just post Free to a good home requester needs only to pay for shipping. That way your not out anything... Send them economy for like $20

Edited....I sent jr clubs so they only cost me $12 to ship.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1357678986' post='6192255']
I sent an email to the local First Tee offering to donate quite a few left handed clubs.
They told me that if they were older than 2005 to forget about it. Like I told them my clubs do not carry date stamps. There was/is no junk.
A kid who can't afford to buy a set of clubs is going to turn down forged Wilson RM's? 7 out of 10? Same for a set of Mizuno MX 29's?
Ten or more wedges that are 8's. Same for some hybrids and fairway woods. Since I'm not a driver ho there are very few of them.
I can't tell you how disappointed I am. A place that depends on handouts shunning equipment. Equipment that I could only have dreamed about as a kid.
[/quote]

Good of you to make the offer. Sad, that they rejected it, and even worse their expectations feed entitlement growth in our youth.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

fact from a local first tee: We have hundreds of clubs, and about 20 full sets. We've done a club sales in the past and the only that sells are drivers and putters. after our last sale, we took the worst 50% of the clubs to the dump and traded them in for their scrap metal value, and still have more used clubs than you can imagine. The first tee needs financial donations more than anything. The more staff they can pay the more classes/ kids they can supervise. Its unfortunate, but the current state.

[quote name='naws-golfer' timestamp='1357926227' post='6210409']
fact from a local first tee: We have hundreds of clubs, and about 20 full sets. We've done a club sales in the past and the only that sells are drivers and putters. after our last sale, we took the worst 50% of the clubs to the dump and traded them in for their scrap metal value, and still have more used clubs than you can imagine. The first tee needs financial donations more than anything. The more staff they can pay the more classes/ kids they can supervise. Its unfortunate, but the current state.
[/quote]

This is what I was going to post. Good on you for making the offer op, but it sounds like they have more than they can handle.

Just an FYI, the special Olympics does golf too, and they may be in need, maybe give them a call and see if they want your old equipment.

My local first tee is the same - they won't take clubs because they simply do not need them.
They've had too many people who were "under orders to clean house. The clubs are going somewhere."
Not to diminish someone's attempt at thinking of others, but they aren't a recycling centre for unwanted stuff after spring cleaning.

I've volunteered a few times at my local foodbank sorting/packing food and also doing some IT work for them and see similar situations.
The two best ways you can donate to a volunteer organization, and make a difference, is either with your time or your money :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358068029' post='6218967']
[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1358067037' post='6218957']
Beggars cannot be choosers?
[/quote]

It's weird how sometimes they are though.
[/quote]

Before you know...those "beggars" will have a wish list for like-new 712 MB's for their local First Tee.

Here's my persepctive with the response. If the First Tee said they had too many clubs and couldn't take any more donations...fine...that's understandable. But to preface the statement with a filter on the age of clubs they will accept rubs people the wrong way. I get it...it's a quick way to filter out someone's old junk, but I think something more along the lines of "the condition" of the donation would seem less like it was based on the value of the clubs or the perception of pickiness by those who will receive the donation.

For an organization that depends on donations/funding, the message delivered just doesn't ring with sincerity. Just my thoughts.

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1358067037' post='6218957']
Beggars cannot be choosers?
[/quote]

Sadly, the "entitled" mind thinks its acceptable, and the problem is exacerbated by people not telling them otherwise.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX