2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tour Yardage Books?

How do I go about making my own yardage book? I want to make a homemade yardage for the course(s) I play on. I really only play on 2 or 3 courses and I want to be able to hand one for my own use. Does anyone know of any websites that would explain how to do it? Or what tool/equiptment I would be able to use or need?

The link posted above has a kit that helps you do just that.

What about measuring? Should I use like a rangefinder or something and how should I go about doing it?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I go about making my own yardage book? I want to make a homemade yardage for the course(s) I play on. I really only play on 2 or 3 courses and I want to be able to hand one for my own use. Does anyone know of any websites that would explain how to do it? Or what tool/equiptment I would be able to use or need?

What about measuring? Should I use like a rangefinder or something and how should I go about doing it?

it's been mentioned in a google maps/google earth thread i started a few weeks ago, some guys use that to make their own. it's nice because you dont have to leave your house and it's perfectly accurate measurements. search the thread and PM the guy who mentioned it.

it's been mentioned in a google maps/google earth thread i started a few weeks ago, some guys use that to make their own. it's nice because you dont have to leave your house and it's perfectly accurate measurements. search the thread and PM the guy who mentioned it.

I will look up that thread but the problem is I now live in Rural WV and I just moved here like 2 weeks ago. I tried google earth and I dont know what I look for exactly and odd are it would not show up well because nothing in WV shows up well.

Most major professional tours have at least one enterprising caddie who will produce a comprehensive set of yardage notes that are then sold to the majority of the field for a small fee. Many of the caddies will also supplement the 'master copy' with additional measurements of their own afterwards, but the ones that are sold are generally bang on and very professionally produced.

Ian Wright (who caddied for Seve in the late '80s) was one of the first caddies to take a businesslike approach to the task and to sell the books he produced to other caddies.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Most major professional tours have at least one enterprising caddie who will produce a comprehensive set of yardage notes that are then sold to the majority of the field for a small fee. Many of the caddies will also supplement the 'master copy' with additional measurements of their own afterwards, but the ones that are sold are generally bang on and very professionally produced.

Ian Wright (who caddied for Seve in the late '80s) was one of the first caddies to take a businesslike approach to the task and to sell the books he produced to other caddies.

Similar story to the Canadian tour as well...but I believe it was a player that made a yardage book for each course they played.

Key was he spray painted dots on the course for reference markers....so each year the mark point changed so he could sell his books each time they visited the course.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 8 years later...

Holy thread revival! It's always weird to look through old threads like this and see posts from guys that disappeared years ago...

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I was told (at least on Champions Tour) that a caddy gets there earlier in the week and walks it off and makes the books and sells them to other caddys players for extra $$>

BS or true?

In the case of Mark Long's company, Tour Sherpa, they map out new tour stops weeks/months in advance. Don't know how they decide to distribute, I believe each Player/Caddie in the field of the event get two books. I've known club caddies that have asked them for the books and all they'll do is send them the PDF of the books (I'm guessing for a fee, but I don't know for certain).

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

How about the green slope books? Are those for sale somewhere as well? Would be very useful when playing a new course as well.

These seem to be the holy grail of caddie/player tools. I've heard about them, but have yet to get my hands on one.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

How about the green slope books? Are those for sale somewhere as well? Would be very useful when playing a new course as well.

These seem to be the holy grail of caddie/player tools. I've heard about them, but have yet to get my hands on one.

Was afraid those might be closely held. Thanks for the info.

Strackaline took over the Lucas books and used to be available on their eBay online store, but last I looked it appears they're getting out of that business.

Stracka only does greens books now. Not the full yardage book.

I spoke to the folks at Stracka - they have a "closet full" of Lucas books still, but they said they're mostly out of date by now.

When I caddied in Hawaii, I always got the book, went on the course, walked it to verify yardages (all are to the front of the green, then you add the pin placement yardage), then I took a golf ball and rolled it on the green to mark the break on the book (with arrows from every side)...on practice rounds I would write the club used from the tee and approach shot...the pros have their own way of marking the book, more often than not we crossed referenced our notes, of course depending on weather the club selection might change...the books are only available to pros and caddies during competition (at least for the Lotte Championship), after the tournament anyone can buy it...the issue is that the book is reprinted every year so the markings on the fairway (circles, triangles and squares) may change...it is a lot of work, but once you are used to it, the process becomes easier...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I make my own yardage books for friends and family. A little time intensive (about 4-6 hours for a detailed course) but once done, you'll have it forever. I can outline my process if there is enough interest.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-22%20at%206.36.28%20AM_zpsfrohnmyi.png

IMG_9028_zpsbna2lvxe.jpg

The leather cover is a product from Bluegrass Fairway which i just reviewed on a different thread. Great product. I love how even knowing my home course like the back of my hand, my strategy changed once I saw my finished yardage book. No wonder the caddies/pros use them.

I make my own yardage books for friends and family. A little time intensive (about 4-6 hours for a detailed course) but once done, you'll have it forever. I can outline my process if there is enough interest.

IMG_9028_zpsbna2lvxe.jpg

The leather cover is a product from Bluegrass Fairway which i just reviewed on a different thread. Great product. I love how even knowing my home course like the back of my hand, my strategy changed once I saw my finished yardage book. No wonder the caddies/pros use them.

Would love to hear your process. I would like to create a book for each of my courses.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

IMG_9028_zpsbna2lvxe.jpg

Would love to hear your process. I would like to create a book for each of my courses.

I second this notion -- I'd love to hear about the process too.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Someone did mention using Google Earth/Maps in a post above. I tried searching on here but couldn't find that post. Can someone bump it up to the top?

Don't know the post - but I use Google Earth, pencil it all in then go walk the course for sight lines and general slopes. Takes all of 10 ish minutes per hole on the comp.