SkyPro - really impressive

I was going to wait for the android app, until I tried Swingtip and Swingbye. I was not impressed with either one so sent them back. I kept reading this forum and finally decided just to get an old ipad and give it a shot. I can't speak for the accuracy of the device, but I can say it's much easier to use. The other ones I kept losing swings and I had problems pairing them not to mention they kept slipping on the club. Moreover, it was critical that you lined it up properly with the club face (which was hard to do) It was very frustrating. With Skypro, I haven't had a single issue yet. It's much easier to use.My only complaint is that I can't send my swings to someone else unless they have an iOS device. Hopefully, that won't be an obstacle once the android app is available.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390499821' post='8517207']
[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390486766' post='8515787']
What I find difficult is that I can slice or hook and not know what to look for in the SkyPro data. I am guessing it is in the back and down swing half way data. I will have a concerted effort to compare the swings with the Skypro data after having had a good read of the help files recently.
[/quote]
The halfway down angle should give you an idea of what you are doing, whether you are coming over the top of from the inside

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390486766' post='8515787']
I would like to see the face angle at impact, though not sure how easy this is with torsional flex in graphite shafts. Also, would it be possible to indicate how far away from the club face sweet spot, the actual contact is. I have occasionally used Impact tape to verify impact point.
[/quote]
That one is a difficult one to get right. The clubface closes A LOT in coming into impact. And in order to give the user a correct angle, the face angle at maximum compression of the ball is what counts. I can imagine that the readings from the start of the impact on are full of 'noise' and might not be usable. The face angle just before impact is however the wrong face angle to show (as it will still close during impact, or it might even open if it is a toe hit).
[/quote]

Thanks ParHunter. I will spend maybe a couple of hours with my pro and compare the downswing half way position from SkyPro with his video and see what he says. I would like to know what is best to groove for consistency.

Recently I was beginning to believe that the driver face angle at address was very critical and maybe I am not quite experienced enough to set the same face angle at address on a consistent basis. More practice and observation I think!

I agree with what you are saying re the club face angle at impact and it's a good point about the ball deformation on impact and how that influences face angle.

I noticed that once, with a toe shot on video, where the club face angle immediately prior to impact looked good, but immediately after impact was wildly open after striking the ball with the toe of the club. Not so much of a problem these days, but it would be a nice to have measurement.

A perfect swing doesn't guarantee you'll hit the sweet spot. So I'm not sure how knowing the location of contact would help anything. It's kind of like shooting a jump shot in basketball. You can have perfect form and still miss the shot. Does that mean you'll do anything different the next time? It shouldn't. If you do, then you're over-thinking.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the comments about the face angle just before impact and the 'noise'. The face angle just before impact should be the same as just after. Otherwise, there will be undesirable side spin on the ball (unless you are trying to draw or fade). So the face angle just before and just after impact would certainly indicate to me whether I hit the ball without side spin. However, hitting it straight is another discussion as I don't see how Swingpro knows the direction of the target. In other words, I can hit the ball without side spin, but still pull it or push it left or right of the target.

[quote name='hoops129' timestamp='1390541735' post='8521793']
A perfect swing doesn't guarantee you'll hit the sweet spot. So I'm not sure how knowing the location of contact would help anything. It's kind of like shooting a jump shot in basketball. You can have perfect form and still miss the shot. Does that mean you'll do anything different the next time? It shouldn't. If you do, then you're over-thinking.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the comments about the face angle just before impact and the 'noise'. The face angle just before impact should be the same as just after. Otherwise, there will be undesirable side spin on the ball (unless you are trying to draw or fade). So the face angle just before and just after impact would certainly indicate to me whether I hit the ball without side spin. However, hitting it straight is another discussion as I don't see how Swingpro knows the direction of the target. In other words, I can hit the ball without side spin, but still pull it or push it left or right of the target.
[/quote]
The clubface is closing by about 2000 or more degrees/per second while coming into impact. You will never see a real shot where the face angle doesn't change. The face angle at maximum compression determines the start direction of the ball (to about 85% on a driver, rest is path).

The 'noise' is a technical term from electrical engineering (my background). It basically means that the 'usable' signal is overlaid with lots of 'noise'. Imagine someone talking to you in a quiet room. You can hear him perfectly. Now add a lot of streetnoise to the point where the noise is louder than the voice of the person. It becomes very difficult to understand the person now. That is similar to what happens to the sensors at impact. The impact causes a lot of vibrations (noise) and then you can't extract the useful information any more.

[quote name='BHB1']
[color=#282828]I noticed that once, with a toe shot on video, where the club face angle immediately prior to impact looked good, but immediately after impact was wildly open after striking the ball with the toe of the club. Not so much of a problem these days, but it would be a nice to have measurement.[/color]

[/quote]
Be careful! The clubface still opens or closes quite dramatically on off-centre hits but the gear effect often compensates for that. Lets say you have a toe hit, the clubfaces opens during impact and the face angle at max compression is now open, the ball will start to the right. But because of the gear effect some draw spin is put on the ball, that means the ball starts off to the right but then moves back in the flight due to the draw spin.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390555419' post='8522151']

[/quote]

I think the physical golf swing is governed by the laws of physics and being an engineer, would like to know what has happened in a particular mishit. What I do about it/what has caused it is another issue. Most likely ignore it and try again unless it becomes a persistent fault.

'Overthinking' is what a golf pro in Scotland 30 years ago used to tell me. He would say that you can't learn from books on golf and you should have more lessons from me, blah, blah, etc. Engineers can't play golf because they try to analyse everything! Fortunately, in my limited experience, the standard of golf teaching has improved considerably in these 30 years, helped with modern technology and understanding. YouTube videos are also easier to interpret than books too. But the swing is still in the mind!!

Nothing worse than going to a driving range and persistently making the same error without knowing the cause, especially if the previous visits to the range have been good.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390555419' post='8522151']
Be careful! The clubface still opens or closes quite dramatically on off-centre hits but the gear effect often compensates for that. Lets say you have a toe hit, the clubfaces opens during impact and the face angle at max compression is now open, the ball will start to the right. But because of the gear effect some draw spin is put on the ball, that means the ball starts off to the right but then moves back in the flight due to the draw spin.
[/quote]

OK, I understand your point on the gear effect, but in this particular case it was a fairly extreme mishit after trying to change parts of my swing under video instruction. But it was very interesting to see just how much the driver club head had rotated after impact in that particular case.

I will think more on the gear effect when I try some impact tape to check my progress on ball impact position, over time.

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390570509' post='8522655']
I will think more on the gear effect when I try some impact tape to check my progress on ball impact position, over time.
[/quote]

I use 'Athletes foot' powder spray for that. It leaves a thin layer of white powder on the clubfaces and you can see the impact straight away. Works best on a dark driver clubface.
I was told impact tape changes the spin too much on shots, so the ball will behave differently to a normal strike without impact tape.

The impact location also determines the smash factor to a large amount. You can have a fast swing speed but if you don't hit the centre you've got nothing to show for.

It would be great if the SkyPro could give an indication of whether you hit it in the centre or not. I could imagine that you get a lot more vibration on off-centre hits then on a centre hit.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390582268' post='8523823']
[/quote]

I use 'Athletes foot' powder spray for that. It leaves a thin layer of white powder on the clubfaces and you can see the impact straight away. Works best on a dark driver clubface.
I was told impact tape changes the spin too much on shots, so the ball will behave differently to a normal strike without impact tape.

The impact location also determines the smash factor to a large amount. You can have a fast swing speed but if you don't hit the centre you've got nothing to show for.

It would be great if the SkyPro could give an indication of whether you hit it in the centre or not. I could imagine that you get a lot more vibration on off-centre hits then on a centre hit.
[/quote]

Pros have never mentioned impact tape affecting spin, but since the tape doesn't have grooves, is not as smooth as a driver face, etc. then I guess this is possible, though by how much is anyone's guess. The impact tape would just be for indicating impact location, so actual spin and it's effect on the ball flight path would be of secondary importance. I have also read about using a spirit marker pen on the club face to show impact location.

Agree about the smash factor.

I can't say I have felt unpleasant viration/shock with graphite shafted clubs, but with my 30 year old metal shafted (and difficult to use) irons it was noticeable. Occasionally, a strike doesn't feel quite right, although ball flight is more or less OK, so I would put that down to an off centre hit. Usually the sound will be different.

Interpreting the Skypro Club Head Speed

I was looking at the Club head Speed for my driver, in the graph mode accessed via the alerts drop down. I guess I am in the normal range 90-93 mph, but occasionally I may get 106mph. I had previously put this down to miscellaneous measurement errors/artifacts. However, in the graph mode, I see a difference between the recording for say 89mph and 106mph. In the slower speed, there is a definite peak followed by a small decline in speed of say 4mph and the peak appears to be about 6-12" before the ball. In the 106mph case, there is hardly visible peak with minor speed fall of 1-2mph about 12" before the ball, before the speed accelerates very rapidly to 106mph. Never noticed this before.

Is this likely to be the club decelerating slightly in contact with the ground (not conscious of ground contact though) or something to do with wrist break timing? Unfortunately I did not annotate these swings at the time and if I could have the 106mph speeds consistently, I would be a happy camper.

Maybe I should play the ball slightly further back, rather than further forward, at the expense of back spin.

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390583457' post='8523975']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390582268' post='8523823']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pros have never mentioned impact tape affecting spin, but since the tape doesn't have grooves, is not as smooth as a driver face, etc. then I guess this is possible, though by how much is anyone's guess. The impact tape would just be for indicating impact location, so actual spin and it's effect on the ball flight path would be of secondary importance. I have also read about using a spirit marker pen on the club face to show impact location.
[/quote]
I use a dry marker or whiteboard marker across the face of the club. They're super cheap and work well for all clubs except if the face is really dark. Just scribble back and forth around the impact area.

I think Gord already said they could work on detecting impact location through shaft twist.

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390585260' post='8524157']

I was looking at the Club head Speed for my driver, in the graph mode accessed via the alerts drop down. I guess I am in the normal range 90-93 mph, but occasionally I may get 106mph. I had previously put this down to miscellaneous measurement errors/artifacts. However, in the graph mode, I see a difference between the recording for say 89mph and 106mph. In the slower speed, there is a definite peak followed by a small decline in speed of say 4mph and the peak appears to be about 6-12" before the ball. In the 106mph case, there is hardly visible peak with minor speed fall of 1-2mph about 12" before the ball, before the speed accelerates very rapidly to 106mph. Never noticed this before.

Is this likely to be the club decelerating slightly in contact with the ground (not conscious of ground contact though) or something to do with wrist break timing? Unfortunately I did not annotate these swings at the time and if I could have the 106mph speeds consistently, I would be a happy camper.

Maybe I should play the ball slightly further back, rather than further forward, at the expense of back spin.
[/quote]

[b]BHB1,[/b]
In regards to a sudden decline of clubhead speed nearing impact. I too have experienced similar behavior in many of my swings. (see the extreme upper right-hand corner on the graphs below)

[attachment=2041959:Increase.jpg] vs [attachment=2041961:Decline.jpg] peak

My thought here is that the sharp decline in clubhead speed / energy transfer is due to an early release or cast where the clubhead actually passes the hands coming into impact. I'm not sure if this phenomenon can be explained simply as an accelerometer error, or if perhaps this is just a graphic representation of a poor release (sudden energy loss) coming into impact??

Thoughts? Has anyone else experienced a similar sudden decrease coming into impact?

EVERY golfer decelerates into the golf ball... even Tiger Woods or otherwise. The difference is pros do it maybe 2 inches before the ball, and many ams do it several feet before the ball. Retain your angles and watch some videos about lag.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1390878863' post='8548087']
EVERY golfer decelerates into the golf ball... even Tiger Woods or otherwise. The difference is pros do it maybe 2 inches before the ball, and many ams do it several feet before the ball. Retain your angles and watch some videos about lag.
[/quote]

Is this the same thing as accelerating, but at a lower rate? In looking at Goalby's swing on the left, the clubhead is still accelerating into impact, but perhaps not at the same rate of acceleration as earlier in the downswing (ie. the slope of the clubhead speed is still positive nearing impact, indicating an increase in clubhead speed as it relates to time).

My thought here (or hope), is that as long as the slope of the clubhead speed graph is positive (above horizontal), the clubhead is in a state of acceleration (ie. gaining speed). While the rate of acceleration may not be as great nearing impact, until the slope of the clubhead speed turns horizontal or even worse, negative (downward), the clubhead is in a state of acceleration.

To clarify, on the graph a horizontal slope would indicate a state of no acceleration (constant velocity), and a decreasing or negative slope would indicate clubhead deceleration. In the graph on the right (peak), the clubhead slows significantly from 104mph to 96mph (approx 8 mph) in the final frames nearing impact. Does that sound reasonable?

[quote name='bowlind1' timestamp='1390877829' post='8547905']

[/quote]

[b]BHB1,[/b]
In regards to a sudden decline of clubhead speed nearing impact. I too have experienced similar behavior in many of my swings. (see the extreme upper right-hand corner on the graphs below)

My thought here is that the sharp decline in clubhead speed / energy transfer is due to an early release or cast where the clubhead actually passes the hands coming into impact. I'm not sure if this phenomenon can be explained simply as an accelerometer error, or if perhaps this is just a graphic representation of a poor release (sudden energy loss) coming into impact??

Thoughts? Has anyone else experienced a similar sudden decrease coming into impact?
[/quote]

How did you obtain these graphs?

[quote name='hoops129' timestamp='1390882929' post='8548537']

[/quote]

[b]BHB1,[/b]

[/quote]

How did you obtain these graphs?
[/quote]
Click on the speed of the pull down

[color=#282828]Hi, [/color]

[color=#282828]What is the chance that [/color][color=red][background=yellow]SkyPro[/background][/color][color=#282828] brings out a "2.0" Hardware version together with the iPhone update? [/color]
[color=#282828]I know that the actual one will/should also fully work with the next software release and therefore I would be interested in buying one already now but not if a new(er) version is coming out in only one month or so.[/color]

[color=#282828]Any opinion on this?[/color]

[/quote]

[b]BHB1,[/b]

[/quote]

Thanks Bowlind1

I have the same shape graph as your lower one (with the decline in club head speed), but where your top graph continues to accelerate up to impact, my occasional higher speed swings show an almost vertical increase in speed up to impact, after a very slight stutter where yours have dipped.

I will try and send two swings to Gord to see if he can eliminate electrical noise or other artefacts in the higher swing speed. If it is genuine, then it is something to work towards, once I and my pro can identify what I am doing differently. Could be the wrist release which is difficult to get right though.

EDIT:

Update from Gord:

My occasional higher speed swings (104-106mph) are an error caused by club head decelleration/grazing the ground. This can cause the shaft to flex, which is incorrectly interpreted by the SkyPro as an increase in club head speed. Normally this is electonically filtered out, but the filtering will be improved in the forthcoming update scheduled for 1 March 2014. Well that's my bubble burst - back to the drawing board, or should that be the golf pro and the driving range :-(

At least that explains why with some of my slower club head speed swings, the ball seems to go just as far as the higher club head speed!

BHB1

I just found some info on version 2.0. It says this release is supported by all existing hardware.
http://www.golfskypro.com/blog/skypro-2014-pga-merchandise-show

Titleist 913D2 9.5*, RIP Phenom 70
Titleist 913F-d 14.25*, Diamana Blue 72
Titleist 913H 18.25*, Diamana Blue 82
TaylorMade RocketBallz 5i-AW
Cleveland CG16 54/58
SeeMore Si2

[quote name='Bcharris49' timestamp='1390892064' post='8549013'] [quote name='hoops129' timestamp='1390882929' post='8548537'] [quote name='bowlind1' timestamp='1390877829' post='8547905'] [quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390585260' post='8524157'] Interpreting the Skypro Club Head Speed I was looking at the Club head Speed for my driver, in the graph mode accessed via the alerts drop down. I guess I am in the normal range 90-93 mph, but occasionally I may get 106mph. I had previously put this down to miscellaneous measurement errors/artifacts. However, in the graph mode, I see a difference between the recording for say 89mph and 106mph. In the slower speed, there is a definite peak followed by a small decline in speed of say 4mph and the peak appears to be about 6-12" before the ball. In the 106mph case, there is hardly visible peak with minor speed fall of 1-2mph about 12" before the ball, before the speed accelerates very rapidly to 106mph. Never noticed this before. Is this likely to be the club decelerating slightly in contact with the ground (not conscious of ground contact though) or something to do with wrist break timing? Unfortunately I did not annotate these swings at the time and if I could have the 106mph speeds consistently, I would be a happy camper. Maybe I should play the ball slightly further back, rather than further forward, at the expense of back spin. [/quote] [b]BHB1,[/b] In regards to a sudden decline of clubhead speed nearing impact. I too have experienced similar behavior in many of my swings. (see the extreme upper right-hand corner on the graphs below) [attachment=2041959:Increase.jpg] vs [attachment=2041961:Decline.jpg] peak My thought here is that the sharp decline in clubhead speed / energy transfer is due to an early release or cast where the clubhead actually passes the hands coming into impact. I'm not sure if this phenomenon can be explained simply as an accelerometer error, or if perhaps this is just a graphic representation of a poor release (sudden energy loss) coming into impact?? Thoughts? Has anyone else experienced a similar sudden decrease coming into impact? [/quote] How did you obtain these graphs? [/quote] Click on the speed of the pull down [/quote]It helps if you start off with a $hitty swing! :-) Sorry, couldn't resist!

I captured the graphs by snapping a photo on my iphone, emailing the image to my gmail account, cropping out the clubhead speed graph, and finally attaching the image to this post.

[quote name='Sean25rp' timestamp='1362268805' post='6535705']
What are the differences between this and swingbyte?
[/quote]

The biggest difference is it doesn't move on the club like swingbyte does and you use your phone to align it on the club instead of just eyeballing it so its aligned correctly every time. Also it has groove mode that swingbyte doesn't have, but then again this doesn't have side by side video or itr that swingbyte has, but this hopefully will have video soon.

I wonder if you can download the ping app and use it with your existing skypro to do the club fitting?

[quote name='slowcelica' timestamp='1391016104' post='8558465']
[I wonder if you can download the ping app and use it with your existing skypro to do the club fitting?
[/quote]

Looks like you need to sign into some type of Ping account before using it.
You'd think it makes sense for both Ping and Skypro to open this up to the public- more skypros being sold and more Ping gear for users to get fitted into...?

[quote name='potatoshooter' timestamp='1391020436' post='8558959']
[quote name='slowcelica' timestamp='1391016104' post='8558465']
[I wonder if you can download the ping app and use it with your existing skypro to do the club fitting?
[/quote]

Looks like you need to sign into some type of Ping account before using it.
You'd think it makes sense for both Ping and Skypro to open this up to the public- more skypros being sold and more Ping gear for users to get fitted into...?
[/quote]

Yea i think t would be at least cool to play with, even if it isn't really useful.

Hi,

If I rembember correctly from what I read during the PGA show, the pricing between the 2 devices is different even if the device is the same. I think that the price of the nFlightMotion from Ping is around 100$ which is less than the SkyPro.
As the functions and purpose of the nFlightMotion are more limited (because totally different purpose) than these of the SkyPro app, I can also fully understand the difference in pricing.

I would thus think that you will not be able to use the SkyPro app with a Ping device but maybe it will work the other way around...

My 2 cents though. ;)

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390911294' post='8549409'] [quote name='bowlind1' timestamp='1390877829' post='8547905'] [quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1390585260' post='8524157'] Interpreting the Skypro Club Head Speed I was looking at the Club head Speed for my driver, in the graph mode accessed via the alerts drop down. I guess I am in the normal range 90-93 mph, but occasionally I may get 106mph. I had previously put this down to miscellaneous measurement errors/artifacts. However, in the graph mode, I see a difference between the recording for say 89mph and 106mph. In the slower speed, there is a definite peak followed by a small decline in speed of say 4mph and the peak appears to be about 6-12" before the ball. In the 106mph case, there is hardly visible peak with minor speed fall of 1-2mph about 12" before the ball, before the speed accelerates very rapidly to 106mph. Never noticed this before. Is this likely to be the club decelerating slightly in contact with the ground (not conscious of ground contact though) or something to do with wrist break timing? Unfortunately I did not annotate these swings at the time and if I could have the 106mph speeds consistently, I would be a happy camper. Maybe I should play the ball slightly further back, rather than further forward, at the expense of back spin. [/quote] [b]BHB1,[/b] In regards to a sudden decline of clubhead speed nearing impact. I too have experienced similar behavior in many of my swings. (see the extreme upper right-hand corner on the graphs below) [attachment=2041959:Increase.jpg] vs [attachment=2041961:Decline.jpg] peak My thought here is that the sharp decline in clubhead speed / energy transfer is due to an early release or cast where the clubhead actually passes the hands coming into impact. I'm not sure if this phenomenon can be explained simply as an accelerometer error, or if perhaps this is just a graphic representation of a poor release (sudden energy loss) coming into impact?? Thoughts? Has anyone else experienced a similar sudden decrease coming into impact? [/quote] Thanks Bowlind1 I have the same shape graph as your lower one (with the decline in club head speed), but where your top graph continues to accelerate up to impact, my occasional higher speed swings show an almost vertical increase in speed up to impact, after a very slight stutter where yours have dipped. I will try and send two swings to Gord to see if he can eliminate electrical noise or other artefacts in the higher swing speed. If it is genuine, then it is something to work towards, once I and my pro can identify what I am doing differently. Could be the wrist release which is difficult to get right though. EDIT: Update from Gord: My occasional higher speed swings (104-106mph) are an error caused by club head decelleration/grazing the ground. This can cause the shaft to flex, which is incorrectly interpreted by the SkyPro as an increase in club head speed. Normally this is electonically filtered out, but the filtering will be improved in the forthcoming update scheduled for 1 March 2014. Well that's my bubble burst - back to the drawing board, or should that be the golf pro and the driving range :-( At least that explains why with some of my slower club head speed swings, the ball seems to go just as far as the higher club head speed! BHB1 [/quote]
Thanks Gord and BHB1 for the update!

[quote name='joseph Sears' timestamp='1391173992' post='8570608']
Are you guys talking about a new version coming out ? Golfsmith shows it with mixed reviews (3 out of 5 stars) ??????
[/quote]

I don't see any Golfsmith reviews dealing with the new SkyPro app. It doesn't come out officially until 1 March 2014, so the public haven't had an opportunity to test it, let alone write a review.

As far as I can see, the hardware is unchanged, but the app for the Apple device has had some significant changes/upgrades, including a putting feature. There is a Ping Hardware device developed in conjunction with the SkyPro, but it is to be used as a Ping fitting tool for new clubs and it is not clear if Ping will release this app to the public, nor indeed if it is directly compaitble with the SkyPro hardware.

The reviews I have seen on Golfsmith are for the Skypro device, which has been out almost a year, but that one initially did suffer from some construction issues on the case, which were quickly addressed by SkyPro.

BHB1

[quote name='Mathwiz' timestamp='1367765846' post='6973792']

From everything I have read, angle of attack (AOA) and shaft lean are different terms (used by different vendors) for the same metric. The reason why is, the angle as measured at the face level is dynamic considering which iron you are using.

Correct me if I am wrong.
[/quote]

I know this is an old post but I wanted to correct this. The angle of attack is not the same as shaft lean at impact.
Imaging you have a driver and you are hitting up on the ball, you can still achieve that with a slightly forward leaning shaft. You could have a shaft lean of lets say 8 degree with an iron but still only an AoA of 4 degree. Why? Because your hands are actually (or should be) moving up at impact while the club head is still going down. So the whole AoA is a lot more complicated than just the shaft lean. (Google for 'Nesbit hand path' if you want to know more why the hands are going up and the club head down).