G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='rockluc' timestamp='1387029159' post='8298761']
[quote name='CHRIS509' timestamp='1386700128' post='8278827']
Got the opportunity to trial these wonder heads, at the moment they have CFS reg's in them. Has anyone tried KBS Tour or C Taper's in these heads?
I'm thinking C tapers really as they launch lower and spin a little less so "in theory" these should be perfect.

Any experience with either of these shafts or any up grade shaft in these head's would be welcome. Have these shafts in my i20's like them both, edge to the tapers.
[/quote]

Have g25 with ctaper stiff hard stepped once and love em. They don't bring the ball flight down a ton but I am a very high hitter anyways so ymmv. Notice the spin more so, get the ball to stop easily bc of height on the shot but forget about spinning it back. Had them for about 6 months so far and shot my first round under par and had my first hole in one with them so they won't be going anywhere for awhile. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the your input. I'm looking at ctaper stiff straight in so similar to yourself. I'm general a high ball hitter but It's more about the spin, I'm a yardage player so backing up a mid iron has no interest to me, A to B is my game.
My only concern is when you give a 3,4 or 5 iron the full beans, will they climb on me? My i20 long irons can fly pretty high.

Take a slap on the back for a great round, first of many and for joining the ace club, well done and thanks

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1387148458' post='8304647']
Well I am giving these another go. Demoed them before on course and liked them and ordered a set and didn't play too well. So I ordered another set today and going to play them for 2014. I think I will like them once I give them some time and get asjusted to them.
[/quote]

I love the top line of your sig "the no ego bag". Smart man. Now take your MP32 and have a friend hide them on you so you have to play the G25 for the whole 2014 season. Your GIRs will thank you.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1387166532' post='8306031']
Well I am giving these another go. Demoed them before on course and liked them and ordered a set and didn't play too well. So I ordered another set today and going to play them for 2014. I think I will like them once I give them some time and get asjusted to them.
[/quote]

I love the top line of your sig "the no ego bag". Smart man. Now take your MP32 and have a friend hide them on you so you have to play the G25 for the whole 2014 season. Your GIRs will thank you.
[/quote]

If his friends are like mine they'll want him to play the blades....my friends call the G's "cheater clubs"-- they're that good.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now you just need a matching 3 iron and drop that hybrid.

Just noticed that .sig and it's a bit scary how similar my set composition is to the man from Bawlmer's.

My G25 driver is also a 9.5 (although the real loft is much higher)
I have the G25 4-wood (although not the matching 7-wood...yet)
My irons are G20 3-LW (the G25's weren't out yet when I got them)
My putter is the Scottsdale TR "Tatum"

Still, it's spooky-close. I can only hope the other fella's game is not as awful as mine because they sure are nice clubs!

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1387211109' post='8307571']
Just noticed that .sig and it's a bit scary how similar my set composition is to the man from Bawlmer's.

My G25 driver is also a 9.5 (although the real loft is much higher)
I have the G25 4-wood (although not the matching 7-wood...yet)
My irons are G20 3-LW (the G25's weren't out yet when I got them)
My putter is the Scottsdale TR "Tatum"

Still, it's spooky-close. I can only hope the other fella's game is not as awful as mine because they sure are nice clubs!
[/quote]

LOL. I'm sure your game isn't that awful. We all have good and bad days.

Speaking of bad days, now that the cold weather has arrived I definitely notice that the "bad days" aren't as bad with the G20's as they were when I had Titleist DCI's with DGS300 shafts. A clanked 5-iron on a 40F morning with those heavy, stiff irons was no fun at all. With the G20's it might still get nowhere near the green but I don't feel like I took a hit in the funny bone either.

The G25's saved me some strokes today. I was hitting a lot off the toe and I would only lose a little distance, they still had a nice flight and were going straight. Such a good iron, I am glad I went with them.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1387210632' post='8307533']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The funny thing is I use to start at a 5 iron. I love the 4 iron so much I hit it as much or more than the other irons when I am at the range, Why.........because I can finally HIT a 4 iron. I have thought about getting the 3 iron and;then I remembered why I did all this. It was to shoot lower scores.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1387236906' post='8309765']
[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1387210632' post='8307533']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The funny thing is I use to start at a 5 iron. I love the 4 iron so much I hit it as much or more than the other irons when I am at the range, Why.........because I can finally HIT a 4 iron. I have thought about getting the 3 iron and;then I remembered why I did all this. It was to shoot lower scores.
[/quote]

Well you need a Ping hybrid, wedges, and putter to get a full Ping bag. C'mon man get with the program!

After getting my G20 irons and then discovering how awesome the G25 driver was, it seemed natural to add a G25 4-wood. That left the putter as my only non-Ping club.

Then I was in a Golfsmith store just killing time messing around with putters and a young sales rep saw me putting with a Scottsdale TR "Tatum". He noticed that the toe was hanging way, way down because of my hands-high putting setup. Just like very putter I've ever owned, they don't make them upright enough for me even when I have them tweaked as upright as they'll go.

Anyway, he says "If you like that putter let me bend it to fit you". I told him if he could get it far enough upright that the toe didn't hang down I'd buy it. To my great surprise, he cranked and cranked on it until by Jove it was about six or seven degrees up. Guess the long neck made it possible. So I bought it.

I guess that's when I knew that I was just MEANT to have an all-Ping bag of clubs. No other putter had ever been within three degrees of fitting my weird setup. So now everything from driver down to putter fits and suits me just perfectly. Quite remarkable after all these years and all the brands and models and types of clubs I've tried. But there it is!

I took the G25's out after a long layoff (for me) where I havn't touched a club in weeks and havn't practiced in weeks. I hit the G25's as good as any time ever. I couldn't putt worth a crap (37 putts) but my iron game was on. Credit that to the clubs and not me. These baby's aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I STILL LOVE THEM.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='calc61' timestamp='1387242525' post='8310235']
How do you guys like the LW? Even though I have g20 irons the g25 lw looks good.about the same as g20 or better?
[/quote]

When I got my g25 irons late this summer I also got the g25 sw and lw and Ilke these clubs a lot. They replaced my I-wedges . For me, I like the consistent feel and look all the way through the set even though I know a lot of better golfers tend to buy specialty wedges versus an extension of their iron set. I am not making the "big mistakes" with these wedges that I sometimes would make before and I attribute that as I say above to the consistent feel all the way through the set. The weight is slightly on the lighter side and the turf interaction is very good.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1387537971' post='8326977']
How do you guys like the LW? Even though I have g20 irons the g25 lw looks good.about the same as g20 or better?
[/quote]

When I got my g25 irons late this summer I also got the g25 sw and lw and Ilke these clubs a lot. They replaced my I-wedges . For me, I like the consistent feel and look all the way through the set even though I know a lot of better golfers tend to buy specialty wedges versus an extension of their iron set. I am not making the "big mistakes" with these wedges that I sometimes would make before and I attribute that as I say above to the consistent feel all the way through the set. The weight is slightly on the lighter side and the turf interaction is very good.
[/quote]

Had a long bunker shot the other day so used my G25 U-wedge instead of my more conventional sand wedge. The wide sole was great out of the sand; club slid though the sand but didn't go too deep (which is my miss with sand shots). Makes me want to try a G25 sand wedge now.:D

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1387545581' post='8327223']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Had a long bunker shot the other day so used my G25 U-wedge instead of my more conventional sand wedge. The wide sole was great out of the sand; club slid though the sand but didn't go too deep (which is my miss with sand shots). Makes me want to try a G25 sand wedge now. :D
[/quote]

Your wedge game is a lot more flexible and precise than mine, I'm sure. Not a lot of creativity on tap in my game, mostly just play longer and shorter versions of a couple types of shots.

But anyway, even the "W" wedge from my G20 set is perfectly playable out of the sand. I've found that having W, U, S and L wedges all the same means I can play more or less conventional explosion shots well up into the distance range where I used to have to switch to either trying to pick it with a LW or play out short of the green.

When I had Titleist irons and Vokey wedges, my longest explosion shot with the 50-degree Vokey was around 30-32 yards of carry (plus a bit of rollout). Sometimes on old fashioned courses with bunkers well short of the green I'd have those pesky 40, 45, 50 yard shots from a bunker with a lip high enough it can't be ignored. I always ended up trying to pick the ball with a LW for those shots but now I just open up the "W" wedge and splash it a good 40 yards or so.

And the soles are soooo forgiving on the G20 wedges (presumably also on G25) that I can play a shot I never dared play with the Vokeys. This time of year I'll get bare hardpan lies where the dormant Bermuda has been scuffed or has just thinned out from foot traffic. With the W, U, S and L it's not hard to play that slam-down almost explosion shot where you treat the hardpan almost like a bunker. I can hit down really aggressively with the G20 wedges whereas the Vokeys took a more finely calibrated touch (so I never used that shot).

I'm a big fan of just going 3-LW on my G-series iron set. The 3-iron and 4-iron are so easy to hit that hybrids are a moot point. And the wedges are so forgiving yet playable that fancy separate wedges are optional.

A couple years ago I had a similar 4-LW set of Callaway Razr X irons. They looked similar to the G20 but the wedges were much more clunky and I found I could not really control them out of oddball lies and such like I can the G20 wedges. The Razr X soles had too much camber it seemed like to me and I think they also had more offset than the G20.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1387545581' post='8327223']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Had a long bunker shot the other day so used my G25 U-wedge instead of my more conventional sand wedge. The wide sole was great out of the sand; club slid though the sand but didn't go too deep (which is my miss with sand shots). Makes me want to try a G25 sand wedge now. :D
[/quote]

I'm going to probably try some Steel Fibers in my U and S G25 irons. I have the Maltby set of wedges (52/56/60) with the AXE wedge shafts and they're ok, but I was more consistent with the G25's. I'm going to keep the Matlby 60 for around the green.

I've gone 4-sw in g25 and left only the vokey 58.....it gets used less and less as I've learned to play the 56 SW from different lies.

The short irons are only a little bigger than my beloved i5s -- at least that's what I keep tellin myself....

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

After reading this thread I was intrigued.

I play mp-69 presently...I have a problem however. I've most recently had (in 2013):
Rocketbladez tour (surprisingly good from a nonish Tm guy)
712 mb (excellent)
Mp-14 (keep returning to)

I'm tired of trying. Hitting the g25 today was so much fun - very easy. Could hit any shot. I asked to be fitted on the spot but
alas there was another shmuck being fit on a very average day in nj in December. Looking forward to seeing what shaft works best for me in these. The cfs seemed fine and may be the right fit but if I don't confirm via quantitative data I'll run the risk of wondering and moving on to something new again. If I'm properly fit and I never visit wrx again I have a chance of keeping these longer than 3 mos.

I was involved in a car accident about 2 months ago today and I have not swung a golf club since....I think these G25s will be the BEST MONEY I have spent as I know its going to help me re-groove my swing and I can use all the "forgiveness" Ping has to offer. Can't wait...but I have a couple to a few weeks before I can even hit a ball.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1387601965' post='8330767']
I was involved in a car accident about 2 months ago today and I have not swung a golf club since....I think these G25s will be the BEST MONEY I have spent as I know its going to help me re-groove my swing and I can use all the "forgiveness" Ping has to offer. Can't wait...but I have a couple to a few weeks before I can even hit a ball.
[/quote][quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1387601965' post='8330767']
[/quote]
Sorry to hear. Good luck with the PING's. It seems like most guys have gone into it think they would "give them a shot" and end up falling in love!

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Just from doing some reallllyyyy basic 'static specs' research.

Aerotech i95 steelfiber stiff-flex: Torque: 2.4; Weight: 95g

Ping CFS regular-flex: Torque: 2.1; Weight: 99g

So it's going to come down to what kind of swing you have and the butt-mid-tip flex proportions of each shaft. If you are more a gradual/early release player then the different shaft specs will not have much effect on the launch characteristics of your shots beyond the difference that feel/weight of the shaft changes how you deliver the club to the ball. For more of a sudden/late release player, a softer tip, higher torque shaft could cause excess spin and ballooning.

As always, the normal prescription of a good fitting on a reliable monitor is always the best bet.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='Kacee' timestamp='1387730634' post='8335343']
I think I need stiffer shaft, I hit my friend Cobra AMP Cell Pro 7i with SteelFiber i95 stiff today and consistently carry it 165, can't comment on spin. My G25 7i with stock regular shaft is struggling to make it past 160. I think I'm ballooning it.

My driver ss is 100-105.

What do you think?
[/quote]

The Steelfibers are pretty darn stiff in the tips. that may mean more distance for you. The G25 stock graphite shafts are most likely a good bit softer in the tip, especially the regulars.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse