2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Greatest male player ever

tstephen

[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1384910769' post='8175068']
American Heart Association study with millions of kids around the world, kids 9-17 are 90 seconds slower in a mile than 30 years ago. I view this that kids are less than 25% less athletic than they were 30 years ago and today's golfers while more in numbers do too have less talent. And therefore, Tiger and his competition have only 25% the talent of Jack and his competition(maybe 50% of Trevino).
[/quote]

Yeah, the athletes now are nowhere as good as they were 30 years ago.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1384916172' post='8175652']
American Heart Association study with millions of kids around the world, kids 9-17 are 90 seconds slower in a mile than 30 years ago. I view this that kids are less than 25% less athletic than they were 30 years ago and today's golfers while more in numbers do too have less talent. And therefore, Tiger and his competition have only 25% the talent of Jack and his competition(maybe 50% of Trevino).
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep - Usain Bolt can't even crack 9.5 seconds for the 100m

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1384916315' post='8175672']
[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1384916172' post='8175652']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep - Usain Bolt can't even crack 9.5 seconds for the 100m
[/quote]

Hahaha...Don't even get me started on the football players. Have you seen some of these guys? 6'5" defensive ends running 4.5 40s. 30 years ago they were much bigger and faster than that.
And basketball, can those guys be any slower. It would be nice if some of them could actually jump...

Always fun to read the crap that TStephen puts out there.

You guys need to work on your reading comprehension skills since I said said average skills of kids and correlated that to golf only. However, since you stooges always bring up Bolt, Phelps, and NFL maybe you rocket science wizards can explain why the 4 major jumping world records(high, triple, long, and pole vault) are on AVERAGE 20 years old!

[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1384921302' post='8176114']
You guys need to work on your reading comprehension skills since I said said average skills of kids and correlated that to golf only. However, since you stooges always bring up Bolt, Phelps, and NFL maybe you rocket science wizards can explain why the 4 major jumping world records on AVERAGE 20 years old!
[/quote]

But you're the genius who concluded that on average kids are slower now and therefore the overall talent on the pga tour is down? It's obvious that we have better athletes now, but you refute that by pointing out jumping stats.
But keep up the good work. I'm sure the posters who support your views will be coming along soon.

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1384921611' post='8176138']
You guys need to work on your reading comprehension skills since I said said average skills of kids and correlated that to golf only. However, since you stooges always bring up Bolt, Phelps, and NFL maybe you rocket science wizards can explain why the 4 major jumping world records on AVERAGE 20 years old!
[/quote]

But you're the genius who concluded that on average kids are slower now and therefore the overall talent on the pga tour is down? It's obvious that we have better athletes now, but you refute that by pointing out jumping stats.
But keep up the good work. I'm sure the posters who support your views will be coming along soon.
[/quote]

What?...something goes to the contrary of your imaginary world and I'm the one cherry picking?

You guys need to work on your reading comprehension skills since I said said average skills of kids and correlated that to golf only. However, since you stooges always bring up Bolt, Phelps, and NFL maybe you rocket science wizards can explain why the 4 major jumping world records(high, triple, long, and pole vault) are on AVERAGE 20 years old!
[/quote]

Gravitational force of Earth increasing. I, for one, need to stop saying, "could I get more chicken" with me Chipotle.

Ok, but really. Some of those old jumping record will stand forever. Bo Jackson jumping a Volkswagon, for example...

...and today's golfers, while more in numbers, do too have less talent. And therefore, Tiger and his competition have only 25% the talent of Jack and his competition(maybe 50% of Trevino).
[/quote]

I'll never forget what I heard Raymond Floyd say in an interview, when asked to compare today's talent with that on TOUR when he first came up.

Ray said that back in the 60's you were lucky to find 10-15 guys who could get it up and down from a greenside bunker with any kind of regularity.

Today, Raymond said, you have to look hard to find 20 guys who can't. He said nearly all pros expect to do that.

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1384922432' post='8176198']
...and today's golfers, while more in numbers, do too have less talent. And therefore, Tiger and his competition have only 25% the talent of Jack and his competition(maybe 50% of Trevino).
[/quote]

I'll never forget what I heard Raymond Floyd say in an interview, when asked to compare today's talent with that on TOUR when he first came up.

Ray said that back in the 60's you were lucky to find 10-15 guys who could get it up and down from a greenside bunker with any kind of regularity.

Today, Raymond said, you have to look hard to find 20 guys who can't. He said nearly all pros expect to do that.
[/quote]

I like Raymond, but he said he had the greatest short game ever.
I don't like Player and he said one year he was 94% sand saves.

[/quote]

[/quote]
That's a great quote from Ray....everyone seems to agree that all sports evolve and the level of play improves with time....but not in golf according to some here...go watch a 1960s lakers highlight film and then watch a 2000 lakers highlight film....not even close

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went over to pgatour.com and checked the Sand Saves stats. Last year 101 players got up and down from greenside bunkers at least 50% of the time. In 1980 only 23 guys did. You have to think in 1965 only five guys did.

Go back in PGA stats sand saves 25 years years without any change in the top 10. Then look at what rank there was at 50%. Just going every 4-5 years back to the mid 80's it looks like 2004 only about 80 players were above the 50% mark. 2012, just over 70 players. Looks like they be worse than ever in about 40 years.

For whatever reason the mid to late 90's had the most over 50% sand save players.

You have to just laugh at Player's stat. He is the only guy more iffy gathering statistics than Dave Pelz was in the day with his stats. Maybe in the early 80's the stat keepers counted fairway bunker up and & downs as well? I wonder what the distance from the pin or green has to be and has it changed?

The easiest explanation would be that like Jack & Ben, guys in the early 80's were truly great ball strikers and did not have to be great bunker players.

[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1384923624' post='8176298']
Go back in PGA stats sand saves 25 years years without any change in the top 10. Then look at what rank there was at 50%. Just going every 4-5 years back to the mid 80's it looks like 2004 only about 80 players were above the 50% mark. 2012, just over 70 players. Looks like they be worse than ever in about 40 years.

For whatever reason the mid to late 90's had the most over 50% sand save players.

You have to just laugh at Player's stat. He is the only guy more iffy gathering statistics than Dave Pelz was in the day with his stats. Maybe in the early 80's the stat keepers counted fairway bunker up and & downs as well? I wonder what the distance from the pin or green has to be and has it changed?

The easiest explanation would be that like Jack & Ben, guys in the early 80's were truly great ball strikers and did not have to be great bunker players.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, have you posted on any other thread on wrx? I've just ever noticed you anywhere but on this thread. Inquiring minds want to know.

[quote name='turtleback' timestamp='1384936835' post='8176668']
[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1384923624' post='8176298']

[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, have you posted on any other thread on wrx? I've just ever noticed you anywhere but on this thread. Inquiring minds want to know.
[/quote]

Oh yeah; Tiger vs Sergio, Chamblee, 24 other posts. The first one I posted in was regarding Chambers Bay which I feel is a total goat-track version of Bandon Dunes. Goat here meaning that the land should be used for grazing goats. The day I played, a service vehicle tumbled down a hillside and the maintenance worker had to bail out for his life. My favorite threads include Tiger of course and anything he thinks he can can get away with including his own new rule.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1384923450' post='8176278']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I went over to pgatour.com and checked the Sand Saves stats. Last year 101 players got up and down from greenside bunkers at least 50% of the time. In 1980 only 23 guys did. You have to think in 1965 only five guys did.
[/quote]I think that stat says as much about modern bunkers and equipment as it does about skill. Bunkers these days are so well manicured bunkers are no longer really hazards. With a good lie the balls behaviour is very easy to predict. Back in 1980 (and even more so in 1965) they hsd much less control coming out of those bunkers. The 60 lob wedg has probably been an even bigger game changer. The lob wedge wasn't around in 1980, everyone was using a 56. Now almost every player would be using a higher lofted wedge for greenside bunkers. If you could send a 60 lw back to 1980 I would guarantee bunker stats would improve.

[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1385765715' post='8226216']
[quote name='deasy55' timestamp='1385754815' post='8225630']
Briny Baird
[/quote]

Tiger's the Briny Baird of majors going forward or after June 2008!
[/quote]

Maybe TW and Briny had some Kung Pao Turkey together for Thanksgiving.

TW must hate Thanksgiving.

"Briny, I don't know why I didn't delete those txts, just pass the *&^%# scallion pancakes"

[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1385772811' post='8226594']
I wonder if Uncle Gary Player dropped by with some Mulva Pudding? I know nobody named Butch was invited.
[/quote]
Maybe he pulled the old toss of the ball with a handful of sand when his playing partners weren't looking. He pulled the trouser ball to win an Open so it would be likely.

Great article at The Golf Channel website "Popping the Question" relates Ruth's 714# to Jack's 18#. The latter being the biggest # in sports at the present. The article uses tennis(as I do) to discredit Tiger worshippers saying that it is harder to shine today in individual sports. Phelps in swimming would also support this claim. But then Tiger guys will argue world record times vs me using the 4 major jumping records that may all celebrate their 25th anniversaries. The article goes on to mention how tour players with many wins but no majors would trade most if not all their wins for just 1 major. Majors are everything and Team Tiger does nothing but down plays their importance now. Maybe it's reverse psychology to lessen the pressure now that he has gone so long without a major victory.

I just hope Jack lives well into his 90's since the question of will Tiger match and/or go past 18 may still be the biggest unanswered question in sports when a Jack is 95.

Jack ain't Babe Ruth

I don't even think Jack would suggest that.

Jack has 18

TW has 14 and so Jack has TW beat but

Nobody else is in the picture. And if we look at what guys are doing now, nobody is anything near

What Tiger Woods is.

Who can win 14 Majors?

14 Majors.

Look at a guy like Adam Scott. 1 Major.

Phil. 5.

Anybody still think Rory can win more than 5?

Guys will say, "yeah" but I doubt they bet the farm.

And nobody, nobody is thinking annnybody we see now is winning

14 Majors

Gotta give Jack top billing. But Tiger Woods is just exceptional.

Actually the article does say that about Tiger and that the difference in baseball was where Mantle, Mays, Williams did not threaten Ruth's record.

Back to swimming and golf:
Jack born 1940 and Tiger 1975
Spitz born 1950 and Phelps 1985

The next Tiger is 3 and the next Phelps won't be born for another 7 years.

I would take Mays, Mantle, and Williams over the 700 club of baseball.

But in golf it is still club Jack 18 over has-been 14.

I think Tiger should only be a favorite at Augusta, Torrey, Bay Hill, and Firestone. Everywhere else he is just one of 10-20 favorites. He may win 2 more Masters but will not win more of any individual major than Jack's 6, 4, 3, 5. Tiger stands at 4, 3, 3, 4 right now but top 2's Jack is 10, 8, 10, 9 and Tiger 6, 5, 3, 6. Jack won the most because he was on top of the leader board way more than Tiger has been or ever will be going forward.

[quote name='Andr3w' timestamp='1386168599' post='8246907']
Jack has won more majors but if you break down and compare their skillsets then it's tiger by miles.
[/quote]

Driver - Jack by miles
Putter - Even
Long irons/fairway woods - Jack
Short game/irons - Tiger
Trouble shots - Tiger barely

What skill sets are you talking about?