2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Greatest male player ever

tstephen

Tiger Woods and it isnt close. Have had this discussion over and over with alot of people and the numbers are not close. The only category Jack leads in is majors won and that is because he has played more of them. Tiger has played against better competition (deeper fields his entire career and his win % is more than double Jacks if I recall correctly. So we are stuck with statistics that can’t be compared due to different circumstances..

% wins means zero. Only if you want to compare Jacks win % at the same age as Tiger. Jack refused to play the senior tour due to pride. As a result he played way too long on the PGA tour and destroyed his win percentage let alone cuts missed. But we will never know as Jack played way too long and Tiger is shot and won’t be able to play way too long.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JN only had a stroke average of below 70 4 times in his career

Can we please stop going on about the guy being something he wasn't . Great player obviously, great brain and course management , solid driver but nothing close to the hyperbole on here , great long iron player but not a sniff on woods , ok short iron player bang average wedges poor bunker good putter . Hogan was a miles better player than JN

If you want to know who played the best golf , how about look at who played the best golf

Wow, there goes your credibility...thanks for the laughs

The guy never won the Vardon trophy , JN was the best of his era when the going got tough , but many players in history have been better golfers than him

He would have won it multiple times but didn’t qualify because he didn’t play enough rounds. Jack was a legend in his spare time.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

ala Koufax, Gale Sayers is always in my mind as one of the 5 greatest running backs of all time - lots of ways to look at it.

Jack!

Who was Better? Hank Aaron or Mickey Mantle.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Don't you guys be posting your Tiger Woods crap!

Lowheel said he was done in 2012 when he knew he couldn't compete anymore, and Lowheel is the authority/only opinion in Tiger vs. Jack talks!

And don't forget about the Dark One.........who it seemed disappeared after Tiger

won a bunch in '12 and '13.....after the Dark One said he would never win again.

We need a special thread where the naysayers can go and eat crow. Just call it

the "Crow Eaters" thread where all the guys that make bold predictions that don't

come true can go sit and dine together on birdies of another flock.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

ala Koufax, Gale Sayers is always in my mind as one of the 5 greatest running backs of all time - lots of ways to look at it.

Jack!

Hank. But Willie Mays was better than both. And Trout may end up even better than that.

Mickey Mantle run from home to 1st in .68 seconds.

Hit a ball 968 feet.

Ran down a pop up behind home plate from centerfield.

One of the best athletes to grace the planet.

Look at this. Ball goes from Brooklyn to Macys Herald Square ; )

For those that say there is no proof of era. Let's drop the GOAT talk for a moment and compare eras. Of the Top 37 all time winners on the PGA tour 19 were born in the first 22 years. Thats from 1890 Willie McFarlane to the 1912 group of Hogan-Nelson-Snead. 19 of 37 in 22 years! 11 of the top 37 were born from 1913-1947. Longer span and fewer winners. Would anyone disagree that Jacks' era was tougher than the previous? From 1948 on-so most of them are well finished with their career as they are 50-70 with the additions no less of Woods Mickelson and Els there are just 7.

So in conclusion the guys over a century ago were the greatest of all time because they won more? If you say "no of course not" then the argument of Jacks' era having the greatest champions is also out the window because they had less depth-meaning more individual wins as well.

Does anyone think that Cy Young is the greatest pitcher in history? Every single era has built on the previous to get better. Let's ignore the bigger stronger debate and just go with better. In MLB pitchers and hitters use Trackman and other devices to tune their pitching and hitting to the max. And you don't believe that gives them as edge on Ruth Gehrig and Feller?

Why is it not possible for tour players to improve?

I am with Butch- "Jack is the greatest champion, but Tiger is the best player I have ever seen"

ultimately it comes down to...

Jack's performance in his career divided by

the strength of the fields he played against

vs

Tiger's performance in his career divided by

vs

anyone else's performance in his career (from Allan Robertson to Justin Thomas) divided by

All we have to do is figure out the numbers. (good luck!)

They've tried it in baseball with the WAR stat. Of course, that one ranks Babe Ruth at #1 and Cy Young #2 all time, so you might want a different stat.

Who doesn't think that IF Tiger had stayed healthy he would have 20 majors

and 100 total PGA Tour wins by now.......................AT LEAST!!

Ya ya, I know it's academic but I figured Tiger would have 25 majors by the

time he was done.....and I had A LOT of company in thinking that....including

many of you I'm sure....if asked before all this sh** happened.

That's all well and good... but he didn't do it. You don't get credit for what you didn't do. The hard part about being good for 25 years is the longevity part. If Tiger had 20-25 majors, this wouldn't be a debate.

Tiger probably wins the greatest player for a shorter period of time debate (although Hogan and Nelson could both claim a shot at that because who defines what a short period of time is?), but, when you're talking career... those extra majors that Nicklaus won loom pretty large. Tiger had a self admitted target that so far he's failed to reach. When the goal is to surpass Jack, and you didn't, it's pretty hard to claim that title.

Who doesn't think that IF Tiger had stayed healthy he would have 20 majors

and 100 total PGA Tour wins by now.......................AT LEAST!!

Ya ya, I know it's academic but I figured Tiger would have 25 majors by the

time he was done.....and I had A LOT of company in thinking that....including

many of you I'm sure....if asked before all this sh** happened.

That's all well and good... but he didn't do it. You don't get credit for what you didn't do. The hard part about being good for 25 years is the longevity part. If Tiger had 20-25 majors, this wouldn't be a debate.

Tiger probably wins the greatest player for a shorter period of time debate (although Hogan and Nelson could both claim a shot at that because who defines what a short period of time is?), but, when you're talking career... those extra majors that Nicklaus won loom pretty large. Tiger had a self admitted target that so far he's failed to reach. When the goal is to surpass Jack, and you didn't, it's pretty hard to claim that title.

Meh, you're just stating the obvious. I was merely reflecting on the anticipation many

of us had before all the injuries and incidents. Giddy times. Jack's career is in the books.

Tiger can still write new chapters so we're just gonna have to wait and see what he does.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

To me, you have to have seen the entirety (Or pretty close) of somebody's career in person to give a rounded view.

I get asked on nights out after a few beers 'Best Man United 11 of all time". Then get asked "No George Best, no Duncan Edwards?" Well no I never saw them play live. Everything from me is pretty much 1990 onwards (I was 8 in that year)

NBA, starting 5, Kidd, MJ, LeBron, Duncan, Hakeem. Second 5 Steph Curry, Kobe, Durant, Garnett, Shaq. I can't pick Magic, Bird, Wilt, Kareem, Oscar Robertson because I saw little if none of their career.

Only started watching NFL 2003, so for me the QB discussion is Brady, Peyton, Rogers. Favre could have an argument but only saw one good season with GB and the honeymoon with the Vikings.

Tennis, I have heated arguments with two of my best friends on a regular basis about Nadal or Federer (I'm Nadal if you care) Sampras gets the odd mention, Aggasi maybe. Stefi Graf would destroy Serena imo. But again, can't comment on Laver or Borg or McEnroe. Never saw them.

For somebody my age (34), nobody is going to get close to Tiger probably in my lifetime. The top 5 are Tiger (By a country mile), Phil, Els, Vijay and Duval. Only saw Faldo in 96 so 1 of the 6 doesn't cut it. Only saw Seve when he was spraying it all over the place at Oak Hill in '95 or burying images of his swing in the desert with Mack O'Grady.

Butch Harmon, when asked on Sky (Probably twice a year), says the same every time "Jack is the greatest champion, but Tiger is the best player I have ever seen" And he has seen them all with the exception of Bobby Jones.

Nadal? BAH! He may be the TENNIS GOD on red clay, but a mere mortal compared to THE FED everywhere else.

By the way, tennis also has better player depth in this era than ever before. Why are Federer, Nadal and Djokovic hanging out in the penthouse of all time male careers and golf just has Tiger in the same span?

Don't you guys be posting your Tiger Woods crap!

Lowheel said he was done in 2012 when he knew he couldn't compete anymore, and Lowheel is the authority/only opinion in Tiger vs. Jack talks!

And don't forget about the Dark One.........who it seemed disappeared after Tiger

won a bunch in '12 and '13.....after the Dark One said he would never win again.

We need a special thread where the naysayers can go and eat crow. Just call it

the "Crow Eaters" thread where all the guys that make bold predictions that don't

come true can go sit and dine together on birdies of another flock.

The irony is im a tiger fan so ill gladly eat crow if he ever comes back and wins a few more majors but i also have eyes and reason.I laughed at the people who predicted 25 majors back then as i do now because i was always and i mean always worried about his health and his perfectionist attitude towards his swing. If you couldnt see the dejection on his face after the 2009 PGA and what that failure did to him im sorry i dont know what to tell you.He was leaving haney before that stuff happened with his wife. That affected his game way more than the marital stuff.the following year at the masters and US open you saw a different player hitting shots he never hit before under the gun. he was rattled.

No need to talk smack to me about tiger.if he can come back for the 4th- 5th time now and have another major ill be cheering for him so save that stuff for someone else please.

It all changed in august 2009 at the PGA.That altered his career and his best chance to catch Jack.look at his face at the end says it all....

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6dQCa9Oyk[/media]

Jack!

Hank. But Willie Mays was better than both. And Trout may end up even better than that.

Hit a ball 968 feet.

[media=]

[/media]

And he did it all sober only half the time! a real freak

Bobby Orr scored 120 points as a defenseman in 1969-70

He broke the previous points record of 59, the season before with 64 points.

Before beating his own record by 88%

completely redefined how a defenseman played in the NHL

And I'm a Ranger fan!!

Tiger reminds me of Orr, with injuries curtailing what would have been absurd numbers.

Of course, Gretzky' records list are obscene! https://www.nhl.com/news/25-for-25-gretzky-records-that-will-live-on/c-679820

Gretzky likely the Nicklaus

Gordie Howe=Sam Snead

Of course TW lost a step.

Jack did as well.

Once he hit 35 he went through a 4 year period where he won one major.

But he won 2 at 40.

So, just because TW lost a step, you cant say that, even if healthy, he was *done* winning them considering he won 8 times in 2 years (2012, 2013).

You think a guy who won 8 times in 2 years, if he stayed healthy, was incapable of winning majors?

Its academic, of course.

But Jack scratched and clawed to get those last 4 majors over an 11 year stretch.

Yes because he wasnt the same player.It was plain to see. 2013 majors tell you a story of who he became.His sundays were in particular suspect. Masters sunday he was+2 before the turn and out of it. Us open never in it. british open he shot 74 on sunday.Second worst round of any of the top 25 finishers to kill any chance he had.Pga was never in it. that was his best season in 9 years and he didnt sniff contention, thats all im saying.

Jack lost a step but kept knocking on the door at majors non stop like a machine.look at his major record from age 34 to 42.Ridiculous he didnt win more.Tom watson single handidly took 3 off him with heroic play.big difference when comparing the 2 in that age gap

To me, you have to have seen the entirety (Or pretty close) of somebody's career in person to give a rounded view.

I get asked on nights out after a few beers 'Best Man United 11 of all time". Then get asked "No George Best, no Duncan Edwards?" Well no I never saw them play live. Everything from me is pretty much 1990 onwards (I was 8 in that year)

NBA, starting 5, Kidd, MJ, LeBron, Duncan, Hakeem. Second 5 Steph Curry, Kobe, Durant, Garnett, Shaq. I can't pick Magic, Bird, Wilt, Kareem, Oscar Robertson because I saw little if none of their career.

Only started watching NFL 2003, so for me the QB discussion is Brady, Peyton, Rogers. Favre could have an argument but only saw one good season with GB and the honeymoon with the Vikings.

Tennis, I have heated arguments with two of my best friends on a regular basis about Nadal or Federer (I'm Nadal if you care) Sampras gets the odd mention, Aggasi maybe. Stefi Graf would destroy Serena imo. But again, can't comment on Laver or Borg or McEnroe. Never saw them.

For somebody my age (34), nobody is going to get close to Tiger probably in my lifetime. The top 5 are Tiger (By a country mile), Phil, Els, Vijay and Duval. Only saw Faldo in 96 so 1 of the 6 doesn't cut it. Only saw Seve when he was spraying it all over the place at Oak Hill in '95 or burying images of his swing in the desert with Mack O'Grady.

Butch Harmon, when asked on Sky (Probably twice a year), says the same every time "Jack is the greatest champion, but Tiger is the best player I have ever seen" And he has seen them all with the exception of Bobby Jones.

Nadal? BAH! He may be the TENNIS GOD on red clay, but a mere mortal compared to THE FED everywhere else.

By the way, tennis also has better player depth in this era than ever before. Why are Federer, Nadal and Djokovic hanging out in the penthouse of all time male careers and golf just has Tiger in the same span?

Tennis a tough one. From the early 2000's till now the different surfaces have all been pretty much homogenised.

Grass is slower, clay is quicker and there is no more indoor carpet. It is essentially a baseline dominant game now and serve volley is obsolete.

More than likely, Federer would not have won Roland Garros and Nadal would not have won Wimbledon if the court speeds were like the 80's/90's.

Nadal is 9-3 vs Federer in Grand slams. 5-0 French, 3-1 Australia, 1-2 Wimbledon. That's a 75% win percentage head to head vs his greatest 'rival'.

Nadal has beaten Federer in a Wimbledon final, Federer has NEVER beaten Nadal at Roland Garros.

Nadal is the only player IN THE HISTORY OF TENNIS to win 3 majors in one calendar year on 3 different surfaces.

The best modern tennis player is Rafa Nadal and it is not even close.

Nadal is 9-3 vs Federer in Grand slams. 5-0 French, 3-1 Australia, 1-2 Wimbledon. That's a 75% win percentage head to head vs his greatest 'rival'.

Nadal has beaten Federer in a Wimbledon final, Federer has NEVER beaten Nadal at Roland Garros.

Nadal is the only player IN THE HISTORY OF TENNIS to win 3 majors in one calendar year on 3 different surfaces.

LOL good one. thanks for the laugh.

LOL good one. thanks for the laugh.

Fantastic insight there, some great comeback points and valid arguments.

I've got two more for you;

Since Nadal won his first slam at the French in 2004, he is ahead of Federer 16-15 in slams, i.e; when they are on tour full time concurrently

Nadal is one of two men in history to win at least two majors on 3 different surfaces. Hint, the other person to do it is not Roger Federer.

Jack!

I hate to throw his name out there because I really dislike the guy. But Bonds would have been in that discussion if not for the steroid issue. He obviously wouldn't have the obscene HR numbers, but hey still would have been good. And the SB's and gold gloves he would have added. He still squared the ball up better than anyone I've ever watched.

it's like saying kareem is the greatest basketball player of all time cuz he has the most points. We know it's MJ and 2nd place isn't even close.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

The most talented golfer ever imo is Tiger. The GOAT champion Jack. The coolest mystique, talent, aura Hogan. The most gentlemanly Nelson. The KING Arnold.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Jack!

Hit a ball 968 feet.

[media=]

[/media]

And he did it all sober only half the time! a real freak

Mantle round trip 13 secs, Greatest switch hitter ever, Asked about May's famous catch if he could of made it he said " Yeah and my hat wouldn't of fallen off" BASEBALL GOAT !!!!!

Jack!

I hate to throw his name out there because I really dislike the guy. But Bonds would have been in that discussion if not for the steroid issue. He obviously wouldn't have the obscene HR numbers, but hey still would have been good. And the SB's and gold gloves he would have added. He still squared the ball up better than anyone I've ever watched.

Sure. He was a great player before, but the post-ped numbers are out of a video game. 232 BB in a single season? OPS > 1.4? Unbelievable.

I don't put that much stock in gold glove awards though, especially during that era. If Bonds was really that good defensively, why was he playing left field?

Jack!

Sure. He was a great player before, but the post-ped numbers are out of a video game. 232 BB in a single season? OPS > 1.4? Unbelievable.

I don't put that much stock in gold glove awards though, especially during that era. If Bonds was really that good defensively, why was he playing left field?

Before he roided out, and while,he was in Pittsburgh, didn't Andy Van Slyke play center. Which would explain Bonds in left.

Yeah, the later numbers are ridiculous. But the juice didn't help him make such consistent quality contact.