2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Moving Backwards in Time - Why do you play vintage clubs?

Too much time on my hands, due to the governments misguided regulatory demands placed on retirees, with respect to the amount of gross income one can accumulate during a calendar year.

Short version: I have reached my “earnings ceiling,” and in order not to penalize myself I have taken a 3 week leave of absence.

Before thinking I am perhaps on my pity pot please rest assured that I am not, however, the idle time has given me more than ample opportunities to do some serious soul searching and inward reflecting.

One of the areas I have been engaging my limited brain power in has been this particular topic, and in the spirit of full disclosure I would like to submit the following:

One reason that I use vintage equipment is to “play” the “game” of golf, rather than “work” at the sport of golf.

Vintage gear, persimmon and blades, or hickory, allows me to enjoy the game without a constant whipping of my inner child. I am at liberty to hit a wayward shot, laugh at myself afterwards, and continue on in the spirit of etiquette that I find befitting for the game, whereabouts if the same folly of a shot occurs with a modern bag the rage builds until the cork pops off the bottle and the demon genie dances his devilish gig.

Like I said in the beginning:

Too much time on my hands.

Randy, you truly are an "old school rocker"!!! Tommy Shaw would be proud of you!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much time on my hands, due to the government’s misguided regulatory demands placed on retirees, with respect to the amount of gross income one can accumulate during a calendar year.

Short version: I have reached my "earnings ceiling," and in order not to penalize myself I have taken a 3 week leave of absence.

Before thinking I am perhaps on my pity pot please rest assured that I am not, however, the idle time has given me more than ample opportunities to do some serious soul searching and inward reflecting.

One of the areas I have been engaging my limited brain power in has been this particular topic, and in the spirit of full disclosure I would like to submit the following:

One reason that I use vintage equipment is to "play" the "game" of golf, rather than "work" at the sport of golf.

Vintage gear, persimmon and blades, or hickory, allows me to enjoy the game without a constant whipping of my inner child. I am at liberty to hit a wayward shot, laugh at myself afterwards, and continue on in the spirit of etiquette that I find befitting for the game, whereabouts if the same folly of a shot occurs with a modern bag the rage builds until the cork pops off the bottle and the demon genie dances his devilish gig.

Randy, you truly are an "old school rocker"!!! Tommy Shaw would be proud of you!!!

I see what you did there....

Too much time on my hands, due to the government's misguided regulatory demands placed on retirees, with respect to the amount of gross income one can accumulate during a calendar year.

Short version: I have reached my "earnings ceiling," and in order not to penalize myself I have taken a 3 week leave of absence.

One reason that I use vintage equipment is to "play" the "game" of golf, rather than "work" at the sport of golf.

I would say that your self-imposed sabbatical has been time well spent. The high-lighted paragraph above is worthy of the post-of-the-year in these parts! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well said Randy!! One of those paragraphs that I periodically read in these chronicles that are worthy of remembering. So I copied it to my running "things to remember" Notes file as not to forget. Never loose sight of the fact that we "play" for our pleasure.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Too much time on my hands, due to the government’s misguided regulatory demands placed on retirees, with respect to the amount of gross income one can accumulate during a calendar year.

Augie, I'm glad you saw the symmetry! That Randy is quite the great seer, sage and soothsayer!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Too much time on my hands, due to the government's misguided regulatory demands placed on retirees, with respect to the amount of gross income one can accumulate during a calendar year.

Augie, I'm glad you saw the symmetry! That Randy is quite the great seer, sage and soothsayer!

It only figures that a Chicago-ite like you would work in a Styx/Tommy Shaw reference on WRX.

BTW - do you remember all the battle of the bands, every weekend around the Chicago area, where it always boiled down to either Styx or REO Speedwagon???

Always advertised on WLS - 890 on your dial. Larry Lujack.....

Memories....of the way we used to be

It only figures that a Chicago-ite like you would work in a Styx/Tommy Shaw reference on WRX.

BTW - do you remember all the battle of the bands, every weekend around the Chicago area, where it always boiled down to either Styx or REO Speedwagon???

Always advertised on WLS - 890 on your dial. Larry Lujack.....

Memories....of the way we used to be

HA! I saw STYX @ Conant HS in late '74 or early '75 WITHOUT Tommy! Dennis DeYoung was still belting out "L A D Y"...how retro is that???

We had TONS of incredible local talent...CHICAGO, CHEAP TRICK, REO, STYX, IDES OF MARCH, THE BUCKINGHAMS...heck, even Sweaty Teddy lived in the area during the Amboy Duke days!!!

Good ole "Uncle Lar"...R.I.P...a/k/a SUPERJOCK!!!

WLS vs. WCFL!!!

Largest Store vs. Chicago Federation of Labor!!!

AM 890 vs. AM1000...back when Top 40 ruled!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

WLS!!!! As a lad, in Southeast Missouri, I fell asleep many a winter night to the evils of Rock & Roll with my transistor radio tuned to 890 on my am dial.

Back in a time when we were all Prince of our city.

What a joyous memory Augie. Thank you.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Thanks H.C. ! Loved that Blast from the Past!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Thanks Kevin!

WLS and WCFL were the 2 stations I grew up with 25 miles NW of Chicago. They played all the Top 40 hits in the '60s and '70s until FM (Underground) radio gained popularity and caused their demise. Life was so much simpler and better then.

Does anyone remember the DJ, John "Records" Landecker?

DJ Dick Biondi used to sing, "On top of old pizza, all covered with cheese..."

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Thanks Kevin!

WLS and WCFL were the 2 stations I grew up with 25 miles NW of Chicago. They played all the Top 40 hits in the '60s and '70s until FM (Underground) radio gained popularity and caused their demise. Life was so much simpler and better then.

I remember On Top of Old Pizza. LOL. I had similar experiences growing up in New Jersey with small radio stations out of Newark and NYC, with Cousin Bruce Morrow and Dr. Zacherley Show. Laying in bed with the transistor radio under my pillow hoping my favorite song would come around.

It was a simpler time, for sure, as all old geezers lament. Not only that, it was a different era that is now totally gone. The culture has changed, the focus has changed, the morals and ethics have changed. Wish my golf game changed....

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Thanks Kevin!

I remember On Top of Old Pizza. LOL. I had similar experiences growing up in New Jersey with small radio stations out of Newark and NYC, with Cousin Bruce Morrow and Dr. Zacherley Show. Laying in bed with the transistor radio under my pillow hoping my favorite song would come around.

It was a simpler time, for sure, as all old geezers lament. Not only that, it was a different era that is now totally gone. The culture has changed, the focus has changed, the morals and ethics have changed. Wish my golf game changed....

Cousin Brucie is on SiriusXM '60s on 6 nowadays. He's definitely "Old School"...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Love playing/bagging irons from the 70s - prefer simple looking blades/muscle backs.

BH Apex, H&B Power-Bilts, W/S Buttonbacks, Mac VIP's, the list goes on and on...

I listened to Larry Lujack try to do a commercial for Oscar Meyer weiners one day.

It was 3 miles to drive to my high school. About 2 minutes allowing the car to warm up.

He started laughing and gigglling every time he said "weiner"...he was still trying to get through the commercial by the time I got to the school. I actually stayed in my car ('61 Falcon) to see how long it would take him to finish the commercial.

All told...about 11 minutes.

You'll NEVER hear that today on all the syndicated shows.

As for a simpler time.....agree. Clubs, balls, courses, cars, radio and TV

At least all of us old-timers have the memories of what was....

And, what will never again be.

Merry Christmas to all.....and to all, a good night (gonna start drinking)

Love playing/bagging irons from the 70s - prefer simple looking blades/muscle backs.

BH Apex, H&B Power-Bilts, W/S Buttonbacks, Mac VIP's, the list goes on and on...

I listened to Larry Lujack try to do a commercial for Oscar Meyer weiners one day.

It was 3 miles to drive to my high school. About 2 minutes allowing the car to warm up.

He started laughing and gigglling every time he said "weiner"...he was still trying to get through the commercial by the time I got to the school. I actually stayed in my car ('61 Falcon) to see how long it would take him to finish the commercial.

Augie,

FYI, SUPERJOCK was an avid golfer and lived in Palatine. I wonder what area courses he played before he moved out west???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Augie,

FYI, SUPERJOCK was an avid golfer and lived in Palatine. I wonder what area courses he played before he moved out west???

As stated, FM jumped into the radio mix in the middle/late 70's, and became the place to listen to full albums without commercials, due to the fact that nobody was advertising on FM yet, not knowing or understanding the medium.

I had moved to Houston by then, and was working at a new course way outside of town (which today is considered "in town").

The big FM station there had a guy by the name of Kenny Miles that did wacko stull like Lujack and Landecker, but also did lots of album giveaways.

He lived right off the first fairway at my golf course, and what was funny was: when he would do an album giveaway, let's say 17th caller to call in, sure enough, the pro shop line would ring in, and here was Kenny saying to me, "congratulations---you're the 17th caller. You've won ________"

I guess I "won" 2 or 3 dozen albums this way. He was an avid golfer, but really sucked at the game....and was wildly perverted, as he asked me to stop by his house one night after closing the course. Think LBJ perverted.

:) My old man had a '61 Falcon, said he bought it used around '64 (before my time) and drove it until the mid 80's. It was powder blue (cloudy n faded) and had rust holes so large in the passenger floorpan that my sister actually put her foot thru it one time (not injured, thank goodness). After that Dad put an old license plate there to cover the hole and drove it another 5 years. I found out many years later that he didn't even like the car, just liked the gas mileage and the fact that it was paid for. I don't recall him washing that car even once in the entire time he drove it. Side note, I've read that the 6 cylinder Mustang was essentially the same car as the Falcon -- except body of course -- when it came out in 1964.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

:) My old man had a '61 Falcon, said he bought it used around '64 (before my time) and drove it until the mid 80's. It was powder blue (cloudy n faded) and had rust holes so large in the passenger floorpan that my sister actually put her foot thru it one time (not injured, thank goodness). After that Dad put an old license plate there to cover the hole and drove it another 5 years. I found out many years later that he didn't even like the car, just liked the gas mileage and the fact that it was paid for. I don't recall him washing that car even once in the entire time he drove it. Side note, I've read that the 6 cylinder Mustang was essentially the same car as the Falcon -- except body of course -- when it came out in 1964.

Rumor was the '64 1/2 Mustang was built on the Falcon chassis.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Not a rumor....a fact.

I got my '61 Falcon from a "girlfriend" of my grandfather. She didn't drive, and when her sister passed, the car went to her. We kept it in our barn for a number of years, never driving it, but starting it up every couple of weeks. By the time I was caddying, and making some money, I started saving. When I turned 15, and had started working at the golf course across the farm from us, I asked my grandfather is Mabel might sell me the car. At that time, it was probably 12 years old, and only had about 20k miles on it. He said to me to just ask her.

This car had no rust. Paint and body perfect. It also had no backup lights (they weren't required in 1961); it didn't have a radio (I learned to install radios on this car): it didn't have carpet (I learned that as well); and by law, only had 1 rearview mirror.

So...I talked with her about buying the car. I asked her how much she wanted for it. She replied with "How much do you think it's worth?" We agreed on $200 - which, to this day, I still think was a good deal for us both.

That car had more wax jobs than you could imagine! It became known around the area as "the Polish Bluebird"...Polish, as in from Poland, not polish as in "car polish"...just wanted to clear that up.

Had a straight 6, and great ground clearance. Had the cops chasing me one time (I know it sounds hard to believe)....but I just turned off the road into a field that I knew had just been plowed, and headed cross country. Of course, the police car tried to follow, but sunk into the freshly turned earth and got stuck. And I wonder why I was always having trouble with the authorities at 16...????

I sure wish that I had that car back. I could reach everything, could understand how to change plugs, points, wires...no A/C, power steering or power brakes to get in the way of working on the engine. And being raised in SW Michigan, there were always gas wars going on, trying to lure people from Chicago with lower gas prices. I could fill that car up for $3 and run it for weeks.

Always started....never had a flat....had a great heater and those little windows in the front that could open and turn outwards to allow a great venting of air into the car when you were driving.

Like I said before....the good old days. Before graphite shafts, surlyn Top-Flite balls, metal headed woods...but, there were Pings, and I proudly hauled mine around in my own personal Polish Bluebird. It even was a special entry into my senior year homecoming parade....so I got that going for me.

I don't have the car, but I still have the driver and 4 wood laminated PowerBilt woods that I played with. Gotta dig 'em out and post a pic or two of them.

Not a rumor....a fact.

I got my '61 Falcon from a "girlfriend" of my grandfather. She didn't drive, and when her sister passed, the car went to her. We kept it in our barn for a number of years, never driving it, but starting it up every couple of weeks. By the time I was caddying, and making some money, I started saving. When I turned 15, and had started working at the golf course across the farm from us, I asked my grandfather is Mabel might sell me the car. At that time, it was probably 12 years old, and only had about 20k miles on it. He said to me to just ask her.

This car had no rust. Paint and body perfect. It also had no backup lights (they weren't required in 1961); it didn't have a radio (I learned to install radios on this car): it didn't have carpet (I learned that as well); and by law, only had 1 rearview mirror.

So...I talked with her about buying the car. I asked her how much she wanted for it. She replied with "How much do you think it's worth?" We agreed on $200 - which, to this day, I still think was a good deal for us both.

That car had more wax jobs than you could imagine! It became known around the area as "the Polish Bluebird"...Polish, as in from Poland, not polish as in "car polish"...just wanted to clear that up.

Had a straight 6, and great ground clearance. Had the cops chasing me one time (I know it sounds hard to believe)....but I just turned off the road into a field that I knew had just been plowed, and headed cross country. Of course, the police car tried to follow, but sunk into the freshly turned earth and got stuck. And I wonder why I was always having trouble with the authorities at 16...????

I sure wish that I had that car back. I could reach everything, could understand how to change plugs, points, wires...no A/C, power steering or power brakes to get in the way of working on the engine. And being raised in SW Michigan, there were always gas wars going on, trying to lure people from Chicago with lower gas prices. I could fill that car up for $3 and run it for weeks.

Always started....never had a flat....had a great heater and those little windows in the front that could open and turn outwards to allow a great venting of air into the car when you were driving.

Like I said before....the good old days. Before graphite shafts, surlyn Top-Flite balls, metal headed woods...but, there were Pings, and I proudly hauled mine around in my own personal Polish Bluebird. It even was a special entry into my senior year homecoming parade....so I got that going for me.

I don't have the car, but I still have the driver and 4 wood laminated PowerBilt woods that I played with. Gotta dig 'em out and post a pic or two of them.

Augie,

Great memories! Thanks for sharing!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

In 1967 I inherited a 1958 Chevy Bel Air from my great aunt. It had sat in her garage for years. Had 9,000 miles on it. Turquoise and white with bench seats and standard shift on the column. Steamed up those windows quite a bit about this time of the year. :) Merry Christmas!

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

In 1967 I inherited a 1958 Chevy Bel Air from my great aunt. It had sat in her garage for years. Had 9,000 miles on it. Turquoise and white with bench seats and standard shift on the column. Steamed up those windows quite a bit about this time of the year. :) Merry Christmas!

I've told the story about my Falcon, but we also had a '54 Chevy that I really learned on.

Did your '58 have the knob on the steering wheel to help turn it?

And weren't those steering wheels massive? Not sure about other cars, but our '54 had the turn signal "return" installed, which, I learned much later, was an option.

Merry Christmas by fellow Classic Clubs aficionados. Hope Santa is treating you and yours well.

Been following along as we drift (temporarily) from the stated topic. 'Tis the silly season for some of us.

First car. Bought it (for $50 IIRC) before I even had a drivers license from a neighbor. 1961 Chevy Bel Air, 6 banger, "three on the tree" and yes, a steering knob. Was a pos car, would lay out a haze of smoke. Carried around a 5 gallon can of bulk oil, drive it until the oil light came on, pull over and dump more oil (didn't even measure) into the engine and off I'd go. No matter. It was transportation. Freedom. A.M. radio blaring. "Me and Del were singing, My Little Runaway".

WABX (99 1/2 F.M.) and the "Air Aces". "Free-form" radio went on the air in 1967. Everything was immediately different. Where else would you hear Hendrix, Aretha, MC5 and Sun Ra back to back without interruptions? Da Motor City was known to have some OK music BITD. Had this music thing called Motown for awhile. Maybe heard of it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Haha, no knob on a cool guy’s wheel. That was for school bus drivers. My favorite about the old, large and thin steering wheels was the chrome horn ring you’d lean on when some ratfink cut you off.

Remember the white wall rings you could attach to your tires that would flap when you drove? Nerd move.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

My first car was a '64 Falcon, light blue with blue interior. 3 on the tree and 4 doors. It did have a radio but that was about all. This was in '66. Then my dad did some work for a guy and instead of money he wanted a'58 Dodge DeSoto with the push button automatic transmission that the guy had. I would drive both of those cars. The Dodge was pretty fast. Would put it in neutral and rev the engine then push the drive button. I think I went through at least one set of tires doing this. It had this strange rectangle shaped steering wheel and big fins with very large tail lights. My friend worked at the golf course where I played and each evening he had to pick up the flags or they would get stolen during the night. We would take that Dodge and drive all 18 holes picking up the flags. That thing was built like a tank.