2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1403195872' post='9532561']
Next weekend could work but not this weekend. I'm working afternoons. If you can play Friday just let me know. I can play after two
[/quote]

Sounds good.

And is anyone up for a round Saturday morning or some time Sunday? Brad ( GoIrish) and I could use two more people. Course is TBD at the moment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played Avalon Lakes quite a few times. It's a great Pete Dye design, and a top notch facility. You won't play many better courses as far as maintenance goes. It's not super difficult, as long as you're not planning on playing all the way back (I think they can stretch it to 7500+ yards). Just pick your misses, the greens are well protected by bunkers and water. There's some holes you can be aggressive with, but some you're better off taking a cautious approach. Pick good lines off the tee to set up your second shots, one side of the fairway versus the other can yield a wide open 140 yard approach to the pin or a 170 yard approach over sand or water. Beware of holes:

1- watch out for the dinky little pond short right of the dogleg that you don't really notice is in play off the tee.
6- another tiny little pond hidden short left that somehow seems to attract balls
8- brutal long par 3 with water tight down the entire length left, and a long, narrow green that slopes towards the water- usually plays around 200 yards. Probably better bailing out right and relying on the short game
9- short, unassuming par 4 when standing on the tee box, the fairway pinches from the left and water runs down the left to the green. Plus bunkers and swales around the green and the surface of the green is only lacking a clown's head and windmill.
11- my favorite hole on the course. Medium to long dogleg right par 5 with an intimidating tee shot over water. You have to pick a line to the fairway and commit to it. Try to take off too much of the dogleg and you're wet. Play too passively and you're miles away. Oh, and there's a huge, reachable fairway bunker on the left side of the fairway to collect balls on a safer line. Fairly flat, small green that will reward three good shots with a nice look at birdie.
17- water lines the entire hole down the right side, and it seems like everything slopes that way. A hill left of the green will kick balls right, and the green slopes left to right.
18- my nemesis. Brutally long par 4. It's a dogleg right, but it almost plays like a double dogleg right then left because of trees pinching in on the left past the bend and deep bunkers and rough right of the green. Plus it plays like 450 yards from the #3 & #4 tees (I think the #5 tee is close to 500 yards). If this isn't the number 1 handicap, I'd be shocked. Have fun with this one, I recommend strong drink before you get here.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1403214059' post='9534607']
I could play Sunday morning if its real early or you play closer to Youngstown. I have to be at work by 2:30. Next week or weekend though and you can count me in for sure.
[/quote]

I am out for playing near Youngstown Sunday, Bryan. I have some things I have to get done Sunday and can't afford the hour drive.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1403216739' post='9534909']
I could play Sunday morning if its real early or you play closer to Youngstown. I have to be at work by 2:30. Next week or weekend though and you can count me in for sure.
[/quote]

I am out for playing near Youngstown Sunday, Bryan. I have some things I have to get done Sunday and can't afford the hour drive.
[/quote]

No problem. I might use sunday to head to Pittsburgh Golf Galaxy for a driver fitting.......just don't tell my wife.

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1403216642' post='9534893']
I've played Avalon Lakes quite a few times. It's a great Pete Dye design, and a top notch facility. You won't play many better courses as far as maintenance goes. It's not super difficult, as long as you're not planning on playing all the way back (I think they can stretch it to 7500+ yards). Just pick your misses, the greens are well protected by bunkers and water. There's some holes you can be aggressive with, but some you're better off taking a cautious approach. Pick good lines off the tee to set up your second shots, one side of the fairway versus the other can yield a wide open 140 yard approach to the pin or a 170 yard approach over sand or water. Beware of holes:

1- watch out for the dinky little pond short right of the dogleg that you don't really notice is in play off the tee.
6- another tiny little pond hidden short left that somehow seems to attract balls
8- brutal long par 3 with water tight down the entire length left, and a long, narrow green that slopes towards the water- usually plays around 200 yards. Probably better bailing out right and relying on the short game
9- short, unassuming par 4 when standing on the tee box, the fairway pinches from the left and water runs down the left to the green. Plus bunkers and swales around the green and the surface of the green is only lacking a clown's head and windmill.
11- my favorite hole on the course. Medium to long dogleg right par 5 with an intimidating tee shot over water. You have to pick a line to the fairway and commit to it. Try to take off too much of the dogleg and you're wet. Play too passively and you're miles away. Oh, and there's a huge, reachable fairway bunker on the left side of the fairway to collect balls on a safer line. Fairly flat, small green that will reward three good shots with a nice look at birdie.
17- water lines the entire hole down the right side, and it seems like everything slopes that way. A hill left of the green will kick balls right, and the green slopes left to right.
18- my nemesis. Brutally long par 4. It's a dogleg right, but it almost plays like a double dogleg right then left because of trees pinching in on the left past the bend and deep bunkers and rough right of the green. Plus it plays like 450 yards from the #3 & #4 tees (I think the #5 tee is close to 500 yards). If this isn't the number 1 handicap, I'd be shocked. Have fun with this one, I recommend strong drink before you get here.
[/quote]

Thanks for all the info. My plan is to play conservatively and not make a fool of myself.....although I have failed at executing that plan many times before.

[/quote]

I could possibly be interested in playing sunday morning depending on where and what time. Somewhere between Ravenna and Youngstown maybe? I'm not familiar with any courses east of Ravenna.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1403224848' post='9535797']
[/quote]

I could possibly be interested in playing sunday morning depending on where and what time. Somewhere between Ravenna and Youngstown maybe? I'm not familiar with any courses east of Ravenna.
[/quote]

To be honest, the only one between there I have played was that Old Dutch Mill by Lake Milton I think it is. It wasn't a bad course considering I got a deal online to play it for like $12. I just remember a lot of burned out grass but it was in August.

Olde Dutch isn't a bad little course. I'd have to think after the weather lately burnt grass is the least of your worries. I'm wondering if any holes have flooded this year and damaged the greens or fairways, though. There are some low spots there, and it's right below the dam at Lake Milton and the river runs right through it. For some reason Olde Dutch Mill has always been one of my secret favorites. There's some easy holes, but some ones that can get you in trouble. There's a couple of short par 4s that should be an easy birdie try, but instead I pull out the damn driver every single time.

Riverview is also out that way and kinda halfway between Y-Town and Ravenna. Another favorite of mine that has deals all the time online is Flying B just north of Salem. Another of my local favorites. Salem Hills as well. And a little place called Duck Creek is like right around the corner from Olde Dutch Mill. It's a fun course, but small and local so they probably operate with a small budget. When conditions are good, it's as fun and pleasing to the eye as any course I've played around the area. When it's hot and dry, not so much. And, Brett, a few of the courses in the Y-Town area are well worth the 45 min drive when you're looking for something out of the ordinary. Mill Creek Park, Pine Lakes, Firestone Farms, Oak Tree, and Reserve Run are all favorites of mine that are usually very reasonable.

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1403228403' post='9536193']
And, Brett, a few of the courses in the Y-Town area are well worth the 45 min drive when you're looking for something out of the ordinary. Mill Creek Park, Pine Lakes, Firestone Farms, Oak Tree, and Reserve Run are all favorites of mine that are usually very reasonable.
[/quote]

I've seen those courses mentioned before but haven't been to any. Some of those are only a half hour or so away which isn't bad.

old stonewall toward pittsburgh from youngstown is an awesome course, but expensive, for me (lived in akron for 4 years and pittsburgh the last 1 yr) old stonewall and totteridge are the best publics in pittsburgh. In your area ones you haven't mentioned that are enjoyable are chippewa (?sp?), shale creek and the quarry (in canton). Chippewa is the cheapest but also the pace can be the slowest. I used to play goodpark all the time after work and really loved it, tree lined with very fast greens, but when ownership changed not as well kept anymore

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1403270466' post='9538567']
old stonewall toward pittsburgh from youngstown is an awesome course, but expensive, for me (lived in akron for 4 years and pittsburgh the last 1 yr) old stonewall and totteridge are the best publics in pittsburgh. In your area ones you haven't mentioned that are enjoyable are chippewa (?sp?), shale creek and the quarry (in canton). Chippewa is the cheapest but also the pace can be the slowest. I used to play goodpark all the time after work and really loved it, tree lined with very fast greens, but when ownership changed not as well kept anymore
[/quote]

I'm near the Akron area and my buddies and I were going to drive out there and do 36 with Totteridge and Birdsfoot, any thoughts? Stonewall is out of our price range unless they have some stupid cheap deal.

havent played bird's foot but totterridge worth every penny, well kept course that has a links feel to start then dives into the woods and comes back out to be windy and open again at the end. Lot's of risk reward, greens roll true but are very tricky

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

Birdsfoot is my favorite course I've ever played by far, so it's sorta an excuse to go out there and play it, but I was looking at other courses in the area to make it 36 and be worth driving that far for, and totteridge looks even better than birdsfoot. The prices seem so low, if I lived anywhere near that, I'd run to the pro shop, sign up for a membership and cry myself to sleep every night in happiness for what a deal I got. I've yet to read a single negative review on any site about it. Every one of them mentions all of the practice areas as being world class.

Anyone interested in playing Sugarbush tomorrow morning/ afternoon? They have a $25 deal on Mondays and I haven't played there in a little while. I was debating between there and Seven Hills tomorrow morning or early afternoon. I can't go out much later than 12:00, I have some things to do tomorrow evening.

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1403470363' post='9552543']
Anyone interested in playing Sugarbush tomorrow morning/ afternoon? They have a $25 deal on Mondays and I haven't played there in a little while. I was debating between there and Seven Hills tomorrow morning or early afternoon. I can't go out much later than 12:00, I have some things to do tomorrow evening.
[/quote]

I'm down for a round tomorrow. If you have my number still, text me. If not, PM me. I can play anytime tomorrow.

Anyone going to the DMB concert Friday? I am, was thinking about getting 18 in in the morning/ afternoon at Brookledge before. The weather is supposed to be nice, so it's either that or mow the yard. I know what I pick between those two. If anyone wants to play, hit me up.

I completely forgot that you guys were gonna be at windmill around 2, I played an hour later, the dude in the white and blue striped shirt and grey shorts with a black bag.

Some guys after we played asked if I shot 65.. No go on that one, hit a 20* hybrid past the bunker on 13, that's probably the only thing impressive I did.

[quote name='Gxgolfer' timestamp='1112850252' post='313']:(:lol:[/quote]

I loved it. I played from the blues which worked out perfectly. It was long enough that everything wasn't driver and wedge but not so long that I couldn't realistically get to everything. It was a little intimidating with all the water and bunkers so it held my attention longer. I can't wait to go back. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. Brett told me who you were when we were teeing off.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1403971799' post='9596815']
I completely forgot that you guys were gonna be at windmill around 2, I played an hour later, the dude in the white and blue striped shirt and grey shorts with a black bag.

Some guys after we played asked if I shot 65.. No go on that one, hit a 20* hybrid past the bunker on 13, that's probably the only thing impressive I did.
[/quote]

What did you shoot? I watched you hit one from ten tee... first time I've actually seen your action. Pretty nice.... lot of natural speed.

You guys have any kind of game going or just play for fun?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1403989404' post='9598049']
I loved it. I played from the blues which worked out perfectly. It was long enough that everything wasn't driver and wedge but not so long that I couldn't realistically get to everything. It was a little intimidating with all the water and bunkers so it held my attention longer. I can't wait to go back. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. Brett told me who you were when we were teeing off.
[/quote]

I sorta figured that was you being with GSXR... I'm sure we'll meet again sometime. If you're hitting driver-wedge from the blues all day you can move it pretty good. Glad you enjoyed it.... maybe if I get to play golf again this year we can all get a game going.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1404008097' post='9599573']
[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1403989404' post='9598049']
[/quote]

I sorta figured that was you being with GSXR... I'm sure we'll meet again sometime. If you're hitting driver-wedge from the blues all day you can move it pretty good. Glad you enjoyed it.... maybe if I get to play golf again this year we can all get a game going.
[/quote]

I'm not really sure what I shot. I know I had a 43 on the front, but I never saw the final. I know the back was higher than 43. I think I had three 7s on the back and only 1 par. I ran out of gas and lost focus early in the back nine. Too many rounds of golf sandwiched in with working midnights. We just played for fun.

I didn't hit driver wedge at your place. I hit a lot of 3 woods to keep it in play, which didn't always work out. We hit the Taylor Made Demo after the round. The SLDR Mini will be in GSXR's bag pretty soon. I think he was in love.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1404007909' post='9599557']
[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1403971799' post='9596815']

[/quote]

What did you shoot? I watched you hit one from ten tee... first time I've actually seen your action. Pretty nice.... lot of natural speed.

You guys have any kind of game going or just play for fun?
[/quote]

77. Not good but I cold rolled one and mega-chunked two so I'm fine with it I guess. Don't look at my swing on video if you want to be able to sleep at night. They were playing 9 point, I don't like to bet because honestly making money off my friends isn't that fun to me,they all play way more than me and it always makes problems for everyone. I would have won 20 though if I had played.... Rough day for everyone. I'd rather just play for fun, I think that was the 3rd time I've played in a month. The shorter stockier guy that was with me qualified for the pub links.

Definitely want to get a round in with you guys soon, I know it's tough to find time in JW's schedule between a) work b) testing out Titleist & Ping offerings for the next season c) going on insane trips

Do you ever feel like Windmill's rating is too high? Seems like you could put up some pretty crazy differentials there without even doing anything super good. It's tough but I'm not sure 4 shots over par for the rating tough. Longest iron I had into a par 4 was a 7 and it's not that tight except for 7. I feel like if the KSU guys kept handicaps there they'd be like +7s.

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1404013697' post='9600063']
I didn't think it was overly difficult and it wasn't as tight as some of the courses I normally play, but the one thing that really stood out was the size of the greens. I think they could put the pins in some spots that would make it play much harder.
[/quote]

Anything closer to the back of the green on 5 is stupid hard. That front pin is the only pin on that entire green that is remotely simple.