2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos Γ—

NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1405073453' post='9678927']
True. Unfortunately when I start hitting it bad I start overthinking everything and lose focus on just staying relaxed and swinging easy.
[/quote]

That happens to everybody too. You need to go to your "Happy" place. I am in my longest stretch away since the weather changed. I haven't touched a club in 7 days. I'm not sure if this will help or hurt me.

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1405130707' post='9684307']
That happens to everybody too. You need to go to your "Happy" place. I am in my longest stretch away since the weather changed. I haven't touched a club in 7 days. I'm not sure if this will help or hurt me.
[/quote]

Oh I know, I'm really just venting ha. I hit the range yesterday and I still couldn't get it fully worked out. I think I'm going to hit another bucket today and if I still don't make any progress I'm going to schedule a lesson or two to try and get back in gear.

Well I finally got my swing coming back. My issue seemed to be that on my take away my arms were going back too far out from my body and caused me be very inconsistent. I actually changed my setup quite a bit so it may take some time to get it down but when I was practicing it correctly it seemed better and more consistent than before, just feels awkward at the moment. Unfortunately, my driving still sucks..

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1405163142' post='9685849']
Try hitting a bucket with your feet together to start. When we start hitting it bad many things can get out or wack. Put the ball on a tee and hit it with your feet together and you may be surprised. Then slowly go to a normal stance when it comes together. You didnt forget how to swing but something is overiding it.
[/quote]

I've done this before and it actually worked pretty well. Its a good way to set up your tempo and get it more consitstent which should help you stay in balance. It goes much straighter when you eliminate all that weight shift that you use for power.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1405183046' post='9686917']
Well I finally got my swing coming back. My issue seemed to be that on my take away my arms were going back too far out from my body and caused me be very inconsistent. I actually changed my setup quite a bit so it may take some time to get it down but when I was practicing it correctly it seemed better and more consistent than before, just feels awkward at the moment. Unfortunately, my driving still sucks..
[/quote]

I am not an expert by any stretch but the other thing I do when I really start to struggle is just focus on hitting either fades or draws. If I am slicing it, I go to trying to hit a fade and I find when I move the ball around in my stance and manipulate the clubface a little @ address, it usually cuts out the slice. When I get comfy hitting the fade, I start moving the ball back a little and squaring up to my normal stance and that really helps me with the driver. If I am not hitting well at the range, I put the driver away and focus on some wedges. Hitting wedges also helps get my swing in tune because if you have a bad tempo with the wedge, its instant feedback.

Here is the link to the videos I was watching to learn how to draw and fade. This guy is kind of annoying but he explains it really well. Its a 3 part video and he has some other good videos too on grip and alingment that kinda go with this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVBB7h9rgI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVBB7h9rgI[/url]

Check them out and try hitting the fade and draw. The goood thing about fading and drawing is that if you aim correctly, you have the entire fairway to miss it. If you aim straight and it doesn't go straight, you only get a half fairway margin of error. These videos really helped me.

Honestly, I think its easier to draw and fade than it is to hit it straight. You get set up differently to hit each one so it really limits your miss as long as you swing on your alignment line.
I've used the shaft twice on the course so far. I like it. I struggled off the tee yesterday but I really went out cold and I haven't been playing. I definitely hit that shaft longer.....not sure about straighter yet. I was crushing that fade though.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1405255503' post='9690693']
I've honestly never considered putting time in to really learn to hit a draw or fade until I get a consistent swing down. This season has been so rocky that if it's not one thing letting me down it's another.

And have you had the chance to try the white tie on the course yet Bryan?
[/quote]

I have a notebook that I keep and when I see something in these videos that I want to try, I write it down so there are no issues with forgettting something important. When I was trying to figure out how to hit a fade, I forgot to set my clubface a little closed and I kept hitting the ball dead straight right down my swing path line or even hitting my little draw. When I went back to watch the video again, I knew as soon as I saw it that I forgot that importnat tidbit of information. I just started using the notebook for practicing my wedges. I am still pretty inconsistent with the distances on them but the more distances I get, the closer to average I can get. Just a thought. If you are going to spend all that time practicing, might as well make it mean something.

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1405299719' post='9694147']
I have a notebook that I keep and when I see something in these videos that I want to try, I write it down so there are no issues with forgettting something important. When I was trying to figure out how to hit a fade, I forgot to set my clubface a little closed and I kept hitting the ball dead straight right down my swing path line or even hitting my little draw. When I went back to watch the video again, I knew as soon as I saw it that I forgot that importnat tidbit of information. I just started using the notebook for practicing my wedges. I am still pretty inconsistent with the distances on them but the more distances I get, the closer to average I can get. Just a thought. If you are going to spend all that time practicing, might as well make it mean something.
[/quote]

That's not a bad idea, but with how my driving is I feel like that's the biggest thing to fix at the moment..It's driving me crazy that in 3 range sessions I can't figure out what changed in my swing with the driver and I lose the motivation to even try and play a round, I know I'll just be punching it out of the trees or hitting provisionals the whole time or using a 5 wood and leaving myself a longer way in. I did however write down some notes from my previous range session with the irons of what worked and how I swung the club, so hopefully if that swing is still working I can focus more on the driver. That way once I figure it out I can keep notes and hopefully not fall back into this slump and start playing more. I'm tired of going to the range and I'm sure the people at Windmill are sick of seeing my face all the time! ha

For parking you go to a lot down the road from the course and they shuttle you there. A couple of us went two years ago on Sunday and it wasn't too bad if you got there early, but coming back was a long wait. Other than that it's pretty headache free. I'm not sure what ticket pricing is since I've never paid to get in.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1405365618' post='9699005']
Yeah I don't think I would do it again on a Sunday. I'm thinking of going Saturday this year. And staying away from Tiger if he makes the cut and is there that day.
[/quote]

Just find a couple spots and stay there, it's the best way to ensure you can get good views. The people that try to follow Tiger are suckers. Instant guarantee that you'll be behind 10 other people all day and scrambling to keep up. No fun for me. I sit primarily left of two fairway, which is also left of three fairway. You get to see tons of shots without moving.

Yeah and by the 10th green I'd recommend the trees between 11 and 13. Honestly during the tournament, the only two places I'll ever be is between 2 and 3 and 11 and 13. Tried following Rory one year and it was terrible. I'd never follow any player unless they are like the only reason you are there. The worst person there is still going to be a stupid good player. Also agree about the parking in the yards, that's what I do. Usually 10 or 20 depending on how close and you can just drive right out when done. Probably a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk at most.

These were the only sale tickets I could find. I am seriously considering going at least one day. I have never been there though and I don't want to go by myself. If anybody is going, let me know. I can go any of the days.

Ticket link

[url="http://913thesummit.com/golf.htm"]http://913thesummit.com/golf.htm[/url]

[quote name='The Milk Man' timestamp='1405300266' post='9694215']
Any of you guys play Mohican Hills in Jeromesville? I am playing it this week and just wondered what the course is like. All I have heard is the course is usually in good shape, fairly easy off the tee, and undulating, fast, greens. Is that about the gist of it or is there anything else I should know.

Thanks
[/quote]

Im in that area but sadly havent had time to play there since its been a long time. That sounds like a good description of the place because all I remmeber is loving the greens.