NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

How is this for irony....I just dropped $250 on a Matrix white tie driver shaft and I have used it just a few times. Today, I won a brand new SLDR driver for a long drive at an outing. I have no idea what I am going to do with two drivers, especially since I am crushing the old one. I might try the new shaft with the new driver and see how that works out. I won a TM ghost tour putter too but I was able to flip that for cash. Overall, it was a pretty successful outing for me, even though my team stunk.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1405898183' post='9744011']
How is this for irony....I just dropped $250 on a Matrix white tie driver shaft and I have used it just a few times. Today, I won a brand new SLDR driver for a long drive at an outing. I have no idea what I am going to do with two drivers, especially since I am crushing the old one. I might try the new shaft with the new driver and see how that works out. I won a TM ghost tour putter too but I was able to flip that for cash. Overall, it was a pretty successful outing for me, even though my team stunk.
[/quote]

Try to flip it or give to a buddy. R1 with white tie isn't going to be giving anything up to a sldr.

Those are solid bags, I'd try a ping hoofer too. Honestly I've had top of the line sun mountains and TM carry bags, and the hoofer is 1000x better. So much more comfortable and everything is just ergonomically designed. I find a new feature out about it every few weeks(I've had the bag for a year now) and every one of them is like " damn that's perfect."

[quote name='Caa71' timestamp='1406035052' post='9757179']
Just found this thread. Im around an 18 on tougher courses like Longaberger and others. I live in Cuyahoga Falls and would really like to get together and play some golf. Weekends or early morning weekdays would be the best times for me.
[/quote]

I try to play early morning weekday rounds depending on my work schedule. I live around Youngstwon though but I do travel that way occasionally to play.

Would anybody be interested in playing in the Worlds Largest Golf Outing benefitting Wounded Warrior Project. It is on Monday August 11th and the course local to us is Briardale Greens in Euclid OH. I think its $180 for a foursome and its a scramble format. I have no idea about the course, I've never been there. Anyway, there might be local prizes and there are definately national prizes based on participation and some on how much money the team raises. If anybody is interested, let me know. Any skill level is fine, don't think you need to be a pro. Also, if you can't play and want to donate to a team, let me know. I'll get a link for it. Every dollar helps the foundation.

[url="http://www.worldslargestgolfouting.com/course/briardale-greens-golf-course"]http://www.worldslargestgolfouting.com/course/briardale-greens-golf-course[/url]

I booked a tee time for Fowlers Mill on Friday @ $32/person on Golf Now. If anybody wants the last spot, its still available. I'll be playing with some guys from work but you are welcome to join. I think its 12:32 PM. I think its supposed to be like 77 degrees and beautiful out so if you want to golf, book it up.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1406727710' post='9816217']
Does anyone here know roughly how long after a tournament courses stay in tournament condition before being cut back to normal? I may have the chance to play Firestone South next week and am just curious if the condition will the in it's usual state or not..
[/quote]
Should be pretty close other than they may let he greens slow down a little. I played Firestone South about 2 weeks after the tournament came through, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The rought was still pretty lush. They don't really change it all that much, a top notch course like Firestone is going to be pretty close to tournament ready all the time other than usual maintenance schedules. I think they were still taking the stands down when I played and that was a few weeks after. I've also played Torrey Pines many many times before/after the tour plays. Surprisingly, the course is tougher before they play because they left everything grow out until they decide how long to cut it. Then for the pros they take it down to where they don't look stupid hitting from the rough. But it is really cool to play a course that has all the grandstands still up. I'd jump at that chance in a heartbeat. Shot +1 at Firestone when I played, birdied 16 and bogey'd 9 & 14. 2nd favorite course I've ever played behind Riviera CC.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

It'll be really similar. Honestly they are consistently glass, and normal playing shape for the members isn't much slower than the tournament greens..I used to caddie there and still do for specific events and that's the biggest thing that boggles people's minds that haven't played it before. They just fly. We're talking stroking it on 30 footers flying.

I don't know guys I've played Firestone South probably 10 times and I would say roughly half of those times the greens have been below average. Every time it was a tournament round they have been good but several days just playing with members they were nowhere near as good as the North course which I played the day after.

Now when I say below average I mean for that place.... they're still better than 99% of courses you can play. There are probably 8-10 courses within an hour or so of Firestone that have better greens.... IMO.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1406780865' post='9822347']
I don't know guys I've played Firestone South probably 10 times and I would say roughly half of those times the greens have been below average. Every time it was a tournament round they have been good but several days just playing with members they were nowhere near as good as the North course which I played the day after.

Now when I say below average I mean for that place.... they're still better than 99% of courses you can play. There are probably 8-10 courses within an hour or so of Firestone that have better greens.... IMO.
[/quote]

Really? I'm curious as to your 8-10. Brookside, The Country Club(maybe?) are the only two I could think of. I haven't played glenmoor or some of the other higher end ones, but I can't imagine them being much better.

I caddied on the west yesterday and I'm pretty confident they would have stimped in the 13-14 range. Literally had a dude hit a 60 footer off the green(pin was 12 feet off front edge) and it rolled down the front 30 yards. They're sped up a little, but IMO they roll pretty darn fast year round.

8-10 might be a stretch but let's see...

I think the best two around here are: Barrington Golf Club and Lakewood Country Club. Those two are the best I've played by far... my boss thinks those were the best two they played all of last year including tournaments across the country and I agree. Sand Ridge, Brookside Country Club, The Country Club, Kirtland Country Club... I've only played Pepper Pike Club twice and they were fantastic and that was on Monday mornings.

I don't think I've ever played Firestone when its been 13-14 but I'm sure there are days when they do run that. That's all I can come up with from the top of my head. I hope it doesn't come off like I'm trashing Firestone because I am absolutely not... I love the place. I just think the PGA Tour event there does a lot for people's perception of the actual golf. I actually put Firestone North in my top 5 courses played.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1406811555' post='9823329']
8-10 might be a stretch but let's see...

I think the best two around here are: Barrington Golf Club and Lakewood Country Club. Those two are the best I've played by far... my boss thinks those were the best two they played all of last year including tournaments across the country and I agree. Sand Ridge, Brookside Country Club, The Country Club, Kirtland Country Club... I've only played Pepper Pike Club twice and they were fantastic and that was on Monday mornings.

I don't think I've ever played Firestone when its been 13-14 but I'm sure there are days when they do run that. That's all I can come up with from the top of my head. I hope it doesn't come off like I'm trashing Firestone because I am absolutely not... I love the place. I just think the PGA Tour event there does a lot for people's perception of the actual golf. I actually put Firestone North in my top 5 courses played.
[/quote]

That's funny because I don't like the north. It's a pain in my opinion. Really pretty, but for actually playing golf, its a no go for me. South and West seem 10x more fun to me than the North. I feel like they just added water to add water on the north. I love golf, but in my opinion, water in play on 10+ holes isn't cool in my opinion. I've only seen one other course like that, and it's Thunder Hill, and it's way more of a fish hatchery than a golf course...

Barrington weren't that fast the times I played there, but I'm sure for the member/guest and other events they spruce them up a bit. Family members are members of a club that's stupid nice(makes firestone look sub-par) out in the west, and they stimp their greens everyday, and they were consistently 12-12.5 when I played. The ones I saw yesterday were noticeably faster than that.

I’m looking for suggestions on who to go to for lessons in the Salem area. I’m not looking to become a pro, just would like to eventually get into the 80’s. Lately I’d even be happy getting in the 90’s. My swing is not very repetitive but I’d rather practice something correct than beat balls around learning bad habits. I did get a couple of lessons that helped tremendously from Dirk Hartman when he was at Flying B earlier this summer; however he is no longer working there. Ben Broderick is the closest PGA pro at Salem Hills but I have not talked to or heard from anyone that he has given a lesson. It seems like a lot of the posts on this thread are made by better players so I hope I’m not intruding with my question. Thanks.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1406899760' post='9831593']
Tuesday the 12th is the early entry from the email list.
[/quote]

So for some reason I have the urge to buy a mallet putter, going to definitely pick one up there.

Also, no idea about instructors in Salem. TBH there aren't that many good instructors in the area...

[quote name='Stoffer' timestamp='1406949682' post='9838075']
I’m looking for suggestions on who to go to for lessons in the Salem area. I’m not looking to become a pro, just would like to eventually get into the 80’s. Lately I’d even be happy getting in the 90’s. My swing is not very repetitive but I’d rather practice something correct than beat balls around learning bad habits. I did get a couple of lessons that helped tremendously from Dirk Hartman when he was at Flying B earlier this summer; however he is no longer working there. Ben Broderick is the closest PGA pro at Salem Hills but I have not talked to or heard from anyone that he has given a lesson. It seems like a lot of the posts on this thread are made by better players so I hope I’m not intruding with my question. Thanks.
[/quote]

I have taken some with Chris @ Pine Lakes in Hubbard which is probably too far to drive for you, but his lessons were pretty good and he has Trackman, which not too many do around this area. I think he is around $65/hr but I have never paid that much. A friend of mine was going to Firestone Farms and he had nice things to say about the guy there, plus I think he didn't pay too much. I guess it would depend on what you were looking for. If you are looking for basic stuff, I wouldn't drive far to see somebody, but if you were looking for more advanced stuff, I would make sure there was more to offer, like Trackman or Flightscope. If you have never used that, it will tell you all kinds of stuff that's helpful.

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1407249371' post='9861717']
[quote name='Stoffer' timestamp='1406949682' post='9838075']
[/quote]

I have taken some with Chris @ Pine Lakes in Hubbard which is probably too far to drive for you, but his lessons were pretty good and he has Trackman, which not too many do around this area. I think he is around $65/hr but I have never paid that much. A friend of mine was going to Firestone Farms and he had nice things to say about the guy there, plus I think he didn't pay too much. I guess it would depend on what you were looking for. If you are looking for basic stuff, I wouldn't drive far to see somebody, but if you were looking for more advanced stuff, I would make sure there was more to offer, like Trackman or Flightscope. If you have never used that, it will tell you all kinds of stuff that's helpful.
[/quote]

They have TM at pine lakes? That's pretty sweet, had no idea.

Yeah. He got it early last year. As far as I know he is the only one around here that has it. I think he even rents out time without a lesson but I haven't done that. I don't know enough about it to bother without his help. I think it's helped out quite a bit as far as attack angles and how to adjust to maximize that sort of thing.

[quote name='adams603' timestamp='1407168047' post='9853811']
JW,
You wouldn't happen to know what the irons for sale are looking like this year? I'm looking for a set of s55.
[/quote]

S55's don't go on sale. Its against policy, they're brand new.

I believe we will have a demo set though.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1407348979' post='9872281']
[quote name='adams603' timestamp='1407168047' post='9853811']
JW,
You wouldn't happen to know what the irons for sale are looking like this year? I'm looking for a set of s55.
[/quote]

S55's don't go on sale. Its against policy, they're brand new.

I believe we will have a demo set though.
[/quote]

lol can't pull a discount dans

for everyone not aware of what I mean, ping is pretty adamant about places selling their clubs using the pricing they suggest. Discount Dans was violating ping's wishes and I'm pretty sure Ping doesn't let them sell ping clubs anymore.

Man I'm like your guys(windmill) agent now, I'm supposed to buy stuff for 4 different people at this tent sale.