2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Epon AF 303 Irons

TheBoomer

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1429287593' post='11381337']
[quote name='golfer75' timestamp='1429287187' post='11381289']
i owned the 502's for a while too and from what i can remember they were slightly bigger overall....blade length, face, sole, topline compared to the 302's. Where as to me..the 303's only look bigger on the sole...everything else looks so close i can't tell.
[/quote]

Get any trackman time in a fitting or since? The 302's had such consistent high ball speed compared to every other iron at the time for me, curious if the new stuff is as good. Sounds funny to talk about high ball speed with an iron but I've played them for 150 rounds now and it leads to consistent long shots.
[/quote]

no trackman time/fitting...i have not even tried the 303's yet :). but from what i have read and what people have told me about the 303's...they feel just as solid...not quite as soft as the 302's but they are much more forgiving and longer. but yes i do agree, that the 302's are easily one of the best irons ever! the 502's were almost as soft and were about 1/2 club longer than the 302's. the af tours were about 1/2-1 club shorter than the 302's.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1429287593' post='11381337']
[quote name='golfer75' timestamp='1429287187' post='11381289']
i owned the 502's for a while too and from what i can remember they were slightly bigger overall....blade length, face, sole, topline compared to the 302's. Where as to me..the 303's only look bigger on the sole...everything else looks so close i can't tell.
[/quote]

Get any trackman time in a fitting or since? The 302's had such consistent high ball speed compared to every other iron at the time for me, curious if the new stuff is as good. Sounds funny to talk about high ball speed with an iron but I've played them for 150 rounds now and it leads to consistent long shots.
[/quote]

no trackman time/fitting...i have not even tried the 303's yet :). but from what i have read and what people have told me about the 303's...they feel just as solid...not quite as soft as the 302's but they are much more forgiving and longer. but yes i do agree, that the 302's are easily one of the best irons ever! the 502's were almost as soft and were about 1/2 club longer than the 302's. the af tours were about 1/2-1 club shorter than the 302's.

These are not the 503s, more 3 series. They are playable...I had my b- swing all w/e and got by with them, actually they are very accurate, just a half club shorter than the 503s...sometimes a full club. The 303s are more forgiving than the 302s but not by a a whole lot. VERY good feeling irons. These are definitely players cbs by U.S. Standards, use the sole is wider but that's what makes are doing now b/c it helps more golfers than it hurts....just look at the srixon 745...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

These are not the 503s, more 3 series. They are playable...I had my b- swing all w/e and got by with them, actually they are very accurate, just a half club shorter than the 503s...sometimes a full club. The 303s are more forgiving than the 302s but not by a a whole lot. VERY good feeling irons. These are definitely players cbs by U.S. Standards, use the sole is wider but that's what makes are doing now b/c it helps more golfers than it hurts....just look at the srixon 745...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Just read golfer75s review.....agree for the most part. Here's where I disagree....I'll preface this by saying I've only had a couple buckets and 27holes with 303 while I've had 3+ years with the 302s. Also, the 302s have roddio i10s ss1x and the 303s have Attas 10s ss1x

I think the 303s are softer than the 302s. The 302s are perfection on pure contact (you almost feel nothing...just a whisper...) while the 303s get softer the better you strike it, they feel nice on not so pure contact and softer all around the face except the dime in the center. As golfer75 says, they are more forgiving. What I found interesting is the 303s have a much stronger trajectory. They also seem to produce more spin than the 302s. 303s are definitely longer although not by much loft per loft as my 302s are mostly 2* weaker than 303 and on good contact are about a club to 3/4 club shorter.

How much of the differences are due to shafts? At least some...I would think...I really like the Attas 10s. Very soft feeling and consistent shaft. Not as smooth as the roddio but very good....perhaps some shuffling is in order.

So, which is better? They are different and both great in their own way. What I love about epon irons is that their gear is designed to accomplish specific objectives....only time will tell which set gets selected for play more....one thing is for sure, team 503 and team 302 have been put on notice...there's a new gang in the stable and they are fantastic...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Hey if you can't trust a guy who has an avatar of a bull dyyke wearing an I heart poon shirt, who can you trust!?!?

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1430061025' post='11444767']
^^^ lmao, seriously tho!! ^^^

on the topic tho, the 303's look fantastic and wondering if anyone can compare the feeling to sus316?
[/quote]

you can try mine the next time we play. its been so long since i tried the sus, that i could not give a comparison.

I tried AF 303 PW only today at the range (full bucket of balls) and didn't really like it that much. I thought the forged feel was going to be superior but it was just ok. Head feels little light even though I ordered it as the same spec as my Mizuno EZ forged. EZ forged seems much softer and sweeter on center contact. Both about the same distance and trajectory seems about the same. However, 303 seems to draw little more. I was hoping that 303 feel would come close to MP-33 feel.

In conclusion, I am not impressed.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

[quote name='Norboo' timestamp='1430791675' post='11499969']
I tried AF 303 PW only today at the range (full bucket of balls) and didn't really like it that much. I thought the forged feel was going to be superior but it was just ok. Head feels little light even though I ordered it as the same spec as my Mizuno EZ forged. EZ forged seems much softer and sweeter on center contact. Both about the same distance and trajectory seems about the same. However, 303 seems to draw little more. I was hoping that 303 feel would come close to MP-33 feel.

[/quote]

Give it a little time. In my experience, every Epon club I've ever owned took a little time and then this magical thing happens where you get hooked on that particular feel. I know, for the money, you would think instant honeymoon, but there's a reason this brand is so coveted -- they make special clubs and they are different enough that they warrant some time in the bag (or at least range). They become addicting, as w/ the latest personals (2), I did not think much of them at first, but after a few sessions, I was really pining for that unique dense crisp feel they offer at impact.

If u play a lot of golf you nit ice a huuuuge difference btw Epon and everything else....they may not be exactly what you're looking for but they're exactly what their design intentions want them to be. The best publicly available quality heads u can get.....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1431192921' post='11528192']
If u play a lot of golf you nit ice a huuuuge difference btw Epon and everything else....they may not be exactly what you're looking for but they're exactly what their design intentions want them to be. The best publicly available quality heads u can get.....
[/quote]

I'll bet a night with mrs More beer on it....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

Have had more time with these...not surprised by norboo's experience, I've hit the mp33, these two heads could not be more different. The mp33 is a smallish blade. It feels great on pure strikes. Unfortunately for me, that is not what I produce most of the time.

If you are a blade player the 303s are not for you....scratch golfers may not like the 303. I don't care for the feel of a blade because more often than not my contact is not pure. The 303 is light years more forgiving and even feels soft on slightly off center strikes. Feedback is not this heads strong suit though, still having trouble telling where I missed with these. Also I'm not that into the look of these...perhaps the copper 302s have spoiled me for other heads and while the satin finish is top notch, I find myself not wanting to look at the to much.

For those of you looking at these, they are similar to the personal iron n that they are made to be playable for a player who isn't quite ready for the category. if you're a serious golfer looking to move from the gi or even sgi category to a forged cb, these are for you...or even if you're a single digit with a good iron swing and want more forgiveness, you will like these.

They are very soft (typical Epon) but if you are coming from a blade these will feel very different.

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='Georgie Z' timestamp='1431890299' post='11574334']
Where Are You Getting There irons?
[/quote]

I've seen a few sets on yahoo auctions Japan, not sure if fairway golf has them yet but probably not, best bet is to find a dealer. Pm spoon, he will get u sorted out...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

From the pictures they look a lot like the 2013 Cally Forged which were great clubs but WAY too light. For those that have hit them, how is the leading edge? I love my Miuras but damn, they can lay some sod sometimes. Can't imagine moving on from my 501s but they just dig so much and I don't play as much as I used to.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting a set built - picking them up tomorrow. However, I'm having to do some juggling with my set up. With my Miuras, my PW was 47, but with the 303s the PW is 45 and my Gap is 52.5. Not exactly where I want the biggest gap in my bag to be. Stopped by Hot Stix and I'm thinking about getting the A wedge and bumping the 4 iron. Wish I had thought of that before i had a 4 iron built....

Kinda ridiculous to have 5 wedges although I guess I can mix and match depending on the course I play.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

[/quote]

Range balls??
Kinda like comparing the ride in your new car to your old one using the same tires Fred Flintstone would use....

[quote name='FyteOn' timestamp='1435007640' post='11813040']
I ended up getting a set built - picking them up tomorrow. However, I'm having to do some juggling with my set up. With my Miuras, my PW was 47, but with the 303s the PW is 45 and my Gap is 52.5. Not exactly where I want the biggest gap in my bag to be. Stopped by Hot Stix and I'm thinking about getting the A wedge and bumping the 4 iron. Wish I had thought of that before i had a 4 iron built....

Kinda ridiculous to have 5 wedges although I guess I can mix and match depending on the course I play.[/quote]

A wedge is 50* If the 4 iron is a club you use you'll find this one as user friendly as any 4i you've played.

Maybe A wedge (50*) 54-58*? That would keep the 4i in the bag.

I still waiting for Hot Stix to finish my 52/56/60 set of the Yururi's. Not sure I can replace them before I even hit them! I mean, I have a sickness but I'm not THAT bad.

I just figured I'll carry 15. My buddies are always drunk by the 4th hole anyway....

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

[quote name='FyteOn' timestamp='1435805781' post='11873856']
Holy hell. I don't have time for a full report, but these clubs are amazing. Easy to launch is such an understatement. Finally got them and a chance to play a round. I'm in love.
[/quote]

How was the dispersion?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Someone asked about the SUS316. As a total JDM ho with a special affinity for Epon, let me say the 316s are as sweet as anything they make, if somewhat more polarizing in their appearance. I'm not quite sure WHY Epon made them or where exactly they fit in, but most Epon lovers who are not blade-only probably probably would approve if the backside doesn't remind you too much of those old Titleist 695 CBs that sold like a lead sled. Besides the 316, I also have one set each of 302, 502 and 503. If memory serves, the 316 has a touch more offset than the 302, and for is easier to hit pure. Sometimes I blend my 302/502 sets, and that may be the ideal. The 503 is so different that it's a beast unto itself, and definitely longer if the shafts are similar. I am wondering if the 316 and 303 are designed to hit the same Epon segment. Favorite? Tough call. I adore the 502. It hits the sweet spot of forgiveness and playability. For a slightly longer course where rough is a big consideration, I'll game the 503 every time. Compared to the other three, it strikes me as more blunt force (relatively speaking, and certainly not meant in any disparaging way). They are long and high and, of course, noticeable for their bulk. I'm a graphite guy, so I realize it does matter that the shaft in the 503 is slightly different. But I don't sense that this alone counts for the length and trajectory. Perhaps it is time to jettison the 316 for the 303. I'd love to taste test side by side. Or maybe put them all in the closet and game my Dance With Dragon cavity backs. I keep telling them their time is coming.