2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

There was a rumor going around on twitter a couple days ago that the sixers/Lakers were close to getting a deal done. Thaddeus Young and MCW for #7 and Steve Nash, then the Sixers would take Exum at 3. Probably nothing in that rumor, but you never know. Seems like everyone has been saying the Sixers want to get rid of MCW and draft Exum.

speaking of the Lakers i'm just so curious about Pau Gasol too......I mean what's his mindset? I've mentioned it before but the guy has made 150M in his career, he doesn't really need the cash. Plus he's been beaten to a pulp by the media in the way of trade rumors, he's been benched for Earl Clark on a team that just didn't fit together

What if he just says "screw it, i want to win"....Miami could clear enough cap space to offer him 6-8M (especially if Bosh agrees to take less as he's mentioned). If Washington loses Ariza or Gortat they could afford him...Phoenix/ Dallas could afford him...he's still a very solid player who can make an impact on a good team

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1403320580' post='9544361']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1403299978' post='9542365']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403295887' post='9541817']
After watching the most recent Finals and last years I honestly think the Spurs would continue and beat the Heat pretty decisively. The Heat have some obvious flaws that SA is able to really exploit. The Heat are probably the third best team in the West behind OKC and just above LAC.
[/quote]

Agree to disagree... I think they'd handle the Thunder no problem. They played poorly and it showed... and like you said the Spurs totally exploited that. Not sure the Thunder coaching finds the same way to do it.

You don't make it to four straight Finals for nothing. Again, totally MY opinion... everyone has their own.
[/quote]

If the Heat were in the west it would not be 4 straight finals. And San Antonio should have won last year.
[/quote]

The Heat played poorly in the Finals this year.... that's it. Its always a what have you done for me lately. They handled the Thunder in the Finals 2 years ago just like SA did to them this year. They would compete in the West every year as long as LeBron is still alive.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

wow Duncan going to stay in San Antonio...crazy did not see [i]that [/i]coming

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/06/23/duncan-to-return-to-spurs.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1403534398' post='9557309']
After watching the most recent Finals and last years I honestly think the Spurs would continue and beat the Heat pretty decisively. The Heat have some obvious flaws that SA is able to really exploit. The Heat are probably the third best team in the West behind OKC and just above LAC.
[/quote]

Agree to disagree... I think they'd handle the Thunder no problem. They played poorly and it showed... and like you said the Spurs totally exploited that. Not sure the Thunder coaching finds the same way to do it.

You don't make it to four straight Finals for nothing. Again, totally MY opinion... everyone has their own.
[/quote]

If the Heat were in the west it would not be 4 straight finals. And San Antonio should have won last year.
[/quote]

The Heat played poorly in the Finals this year.... that's it. (TRUE) Its always a what have you done for me lately. (also true) They handled the Thunder in the Finals 2 years ago just like SA did to them this year. (False) They would compete in the West every year as long as LeBron is still alive. (Also false)
[/quote]
Fixed that for you. In a conference where the 6-8 playoff teams have finished at or below .500 for the last five+ years, any amount of consolidated ability is going to the finals fairly easily. The 10th best West team has still been better than the 4-8 East conference playoff teams.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Heat played poorly in the Finals this year.... that's it. Its always a what have you done for me lately. They handled the Thunder in the Finals 2 years ago just like SA did to them this year. They would compete in the West every year as long as LeBron is still alive.
[/quote]

But it's tougher to have to go through the west than to only have one tough series- the finals. Lebron is the best player in the league but the rest of the team is average.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

sometimes i wonder if playing in a tougher conference is better or worse. To me the Heat looked completely outclassed by the Spurs. Almost like they weren't ready for it. The east might have been even worse then we know. I mean Dallas took San Antonio to 7, and granted match-ups have a lot to do with it....but if you put Dallas in a 7 game series with Indiana would they have won? Dallas would probably be the favorite in retrospect, if you re-seeded the playoffs knowing what we know now it would probably have been San Antonio first, OKC second, Miami third, and then 6 straight West teams.

Miami in the finals looked like Rocky fighting Clubber Lang after feasting on handpicked jobber opponents.

But this won't last, players will rush to the east because the media judges them heavily on playoffs. So going to the East is the best way to go deep in the playoffs.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm still optimistic about the East next year though, if Chicago can land Carmelo....putting a superstar scorer with Noah, Gibson, Butler (3 guys who should have made all NBA defense this year, 2 of whom did) and what, 70% of Derrick Rose (hopefully) and coached by Thibodeau. That is a super-team.

Washington, Toronto and Charlotte all finished the season strong. Washington and Charlotte may have cap space to use (charlotte definitely will and has promised to use it, plus they have the #11 pick. It's not crazy that they could throw a max contract at Eric Bledsoe, or overpay Greg Monroe, or Lance Stephenson...and then draft like a Nik Stauskas/Gary Harris/Adreian Payne etc....i mean that's a pretty good team right?) and Toronto is a Valenciunas leap, and keeping Lowry away from being pretty good

Atlanta has 20M+ in cap space with Horford coming back. And that includes Teague, Antic, Lou Williams, Korver and Paul Millsap. They could easily add either 2-3 guys, or a max guy. All the guys above mentioned...Luol Deng, Hawes, Gordon Heyward if Utah doesn't match etc etc...

there's potential in the East

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

LeBron officially opted out.. This is going to get interesting quick!

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1403617683' post='9565539']
[/quote]

yeah so what does this mean? Is LeBron waiting to see if Wade opts out? Assuming if Wade opts out he will stay but if Wade exercises his option he will bolt?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1403622003' post='9566103']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1403617683' post='9565539']
[/quote]

yeah so what does this mean? Is LeBron waiting to see if Wade opts out? Assuming if Wade opts out he will stay but if Wade exercises his option he will bolt?
[/quote]

So if I understand this correctly.... If Wade opt's in he picks up the final year of his contract worth about 18mil.... If he opts out he becomes a free agent. What do you think Wade would make in the open market on a contender? I can't believe it would be anywhere near 18 mil when people are having heartache offering Lance 10 mil. He is nuts not to take the final deal unless they have a plan to opt out and take less.

ESPN will blow up if LeBron's a free agent. 24 hours a day isn't enough time for them to cover the Decision 2.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Lebron's decision to opt out is basically meaningless. Lebron will get paid the max no matter what so opting out can't possibly hurt him, and can only give him more options (taking less to sign someone else etc). It's not like Miami is going to come back and say "well, we're not giving you the 20M since you opted out LOL"

I didn't think anything of it.

It's like when Houston neglected the option on Parsons, people went nuts that it was a sign they had Carmelo locked up or something. It was just a smart business decision, make him restricted now so you control the situation, rather then give him another year and let him become unrestricted

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='David30' timestamp='1403569213' post='9562039']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Heat played poorly in the Finals this year.... that's it. (TRUE) Its always a what have you done for me lately. (also true) They handled the Thunder in the Finals 2 years ago just like SA did to them this year. (False) They would compete in the West every year as long as LeBron is still alive. (Also false)
[/quote]
Fixed that for you. In a conference where the 6-8 playoff teams have finished at or below .500 for the last five+ years, any amount of consolidated ability is going to the finals fairly easily. The 10th best West team has still been better than the 4-8 East conference playoff teams.
[/quote]

They beat The Thunder in 5 games.... They won the 2 previous Finals. They are capable of beating anyone in the West. They just played awful that week.... Bottom line.

It doesn't really matter what the rest of the teams do.. Getting there is easier in the East but you still need to beat the best team in front of you. They beat the Thunder in 5 and Spurs in 7 so how can you look at it and say they can't compete. Makes no sense. They played poorly and lost in 5... Making a bigger deal about it then it really is...

Momentum is powerful in those 7 games series.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403648425' post='9569453']
Lebron's decision to opt out is basically meaningless. Lebron will get paid the max no matter what so opting out can't possibly hurt him, and can only give him more options (taking less to sign someone else etc). It's not like Miami is going to come back and say "well, we're not giving you the 20M since you opted out LOL"

It's like when Houston neglected the option on Parsons, people went nuts that it was a sign they had Carmelo locked up or something. It was just a smart business decision, make him restricted now so you control the situation, rather then give him another year and let him become unrestricted
[/quote]

The real question is what will Wade do? LeBron and Bosh can get theirs anywhere. Wade will be hard pressed to get paid like his current contract and probably his last major contract.

Also how many Miami Heat fans will opt out?

NBA Free agency is one of the exciting times in all of sports. I was just reading some rumors and teams are already preparing to jump through hoops for LBJ. Did anyone see what the Clippers are preparing to do? Man that would be a crazy team if they traded Blake and some others in a sign and trade for James.

One thing that I find interesting is if LBJ and Melo team up somewhere what kind of lineup will the team use and how will it impact match ups agains big front lines. LeBron would have to play a lot of post D against 4s. I wonder if that would wear him down at all.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403660991' post='9570977']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403648425' post='9569453']

[/quote]

The real question is what will Wade do? LeBron and Bosh can get theirs anywhere. Wade will be hard pressed to get paid like his current contract and probably his last major contract.

Also how many Miami Heat fans will opt out?
[/quote]

My feeling is Wade is the curmudgeon of the group. People who seem to know things suggest he won't take a pay decrease. He also has been the most outspoken over the years about missing the days when he hot to shoot more etc..

I wonder what Lebron really thinks of Wade sometimes. I mean Bosh is out there saying "whatever it takes, i want to win etc"...and Wade deflects the question, and doesn't seem to want to take less, despite the fact that he is playing basically 55 games a year.

Imagine Wade making more then Lebron and Bosh next year and then sitting out 30 games?

Wade's contract got bad really fast. But i still think Riley will figure out a way to make it work

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403661902' post='9571123']
NBA Free agency is one of the exciting times in all of sports. I was just reading some rumors and teams are already preparing to jump through hoops for LBJ. Did anyone see what the Clippers are preparing to do? Man that would be a crazy team if they traded Blake and some others in a sign and trade for James.

One thing that I find interesting is if LBJ and Melo team up somewhere what kind of lineup will the team use and how will it impact match ups agains big front lines. LeBron would have to play a lot of post D against 4s. I wonder if that would wear him down at all.
[/quote]

I'm very excited for the draft and free agency. Obviously Lebron/Love/Anthony dominates the talk.

I do think Lebron will return to Miami. A lot of the roster clearing that other teams would need to do is a bit more complicated then some writers make it sound and would require for the most part a guarantee from James camp. I also think that Lebron is a very socially conscious athlete despite what he says, and he knows how much he'll get crushed if he leaves again. I think no matter what happens the rest of his career, the "greatest ever" discussion is over if he leaves another team, that's just my opinion. But i bet Lebron cares about the perception more then he lets on

Love it seems it's either the Warriors or bust. I think it's 50/50. I could see the Wolves taking the chance that they can convince him to stay, if the alternative is a package that puts them in no man's land. Chicago also seems to be the front runner for Anthony

I'm also curious about Charlotte and Atlanta, who have sleeper team potential given their cap space and talent. And interested to see what teams like OKC and Phoenix do, given how they have multiple draft picks and want to win now.

i would guess 2 first round picks would get either Afflalo or Thad Young, either of those guys would be huge for a team like the Thunder.

Dallas is a sleeper too, don't rule out Dirk taking a Duncan-type contract so they can sign players. They could renounce Shawn Marion....and then go after maybe both Pau Gasol and Luol Deng for example. Deng would be a great Marion replacement. Imagine the offensive skill of a Calderon/Ellis/Deng/Nowitzki/Gasol lineup? It's not that far fetched....

anyway, yes very exciting this summer

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Houston is very interesting too....they can clear a lot of cap space, but i think they are not going to get Anthony, and certainly not James. I think it would be a mistake to chase these guys, and then potentially lose Chandler Parsons, and not go after an obvious fit in Channing Frye.

If i'm a Rockets fan i'd rather that then chasing James or Anthony. Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Frye/Howard is really solid since Frye is a decent defender and can stretch the floor. He's basically perfect for the Rockets.

Also, the Pelicans have cap space , want to win now, and have the Unibrow who is soon to be the 3rd best player in the NBA as a lure. Wouldn't Greg Monroe look great there alongside him? The Pelicans could offer him a contract Detroit could not match

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

One thing that I disagree with is the people saying that LeBron won't leave because of his legacy.... To an extent it's true but when you look at the big picture "if" LeBron were to jump ship and chase rings and was successful in getting 6,7,8.... That argument of GOAT with LeBron at 7 changing teams vs MJ at 6 is a valid argument. LeBron at 5 and MJ at 6 goes to MJ. People always base their decision on "more" regardless of how, when, why....

Wade will not opt out. No one else will give him 18 million for next year. Heck, I doubt anyone would give him 18 million for 2 years for the number of games he plays and his rapidly diminishing health/skill level.

I think Lebron will re-up with Miami but I don't see how they are going to be able to rebuild this team unless Wade restructures and/or Bosh/Lebron take team-friendly, underpaid contracts. They are going to have some massive holes to fill in order to make another finals run. They still lack a quality defensive prescence in the middle, need a better starting point guard, multiple shooting guards/wings to play the 3-and-D role (wade is old, allen/battier retiring?, etc...), and someone needs to step up or they get a solid #2 option on offense (I feel wade can no longer fill this roll, Bosh might, or they can go the free agent route)

I wasn't sure if he'd go back, but now I'm almost certain he won't, simply because of the D Wade situation. I can't see Wade opting out for obvious reasons. That means James and Bosch would have to take major pay cuts for them to have a chance to win. Even if they went through with it, I could see a lot of resentment toward Wade behind the scenes. Besides, does Bosch really wanna play an entire season again where his play will most certainly decline, when he has a chance to lock up a really nice deal right now?

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403666302' post='9571635']
You basically named every team but the Lakers in regards to landing free agents. Sadly I agree that they are very much a long shot. It would be really strange to see Kobe, LeBron and Melo in purple and gold.
[/quote]

I think they need 1-2 more years. Too much of an unknown substance right now. Kobe's injury, is Pau staying, coaching situation....They'll sort it out, but i don't see Carmelo and co going there just yet

But if they land someone with the #7 pick, who knows maybe they are a Love and someone else destination next year

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I love the Dallas trade for Chandler. This one trade basically says they are going down with the Nowitzki ship (as they should) and going all in to put one last contender around him and hopefully someone else

I mean, it seems crazy but this one trade i think makes them a serious contender for Carmelo, whereas before even Dirk said they were a long shot. Chandler is a top notch defensive anchor when healthy, and changes the dynamic of the defense right away

Dallas if they renounce Marion can offer Carmelo more then either Houston or Chicago (assuming Dirk takes less money which he said he would, they only have 35 million commited for next year, [i]35 million). [/i]They could offer Carmelo 20m, Dirk could take 12M or something, and they could still re- sign Devin Harris on top of that

How does Harris-Ellis-Anthony-Dirk-Chandler look? (with Felton, Wright, Crowder and cheap free agent X off the bench) Holy cow....that might even be better then the Bulls. They could maybe even Shawn Marion back into the lineup if he's willing to take 3-5M

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If Dallas gets Melo they might win the West next year. They pushed SA like no other and Melo/Tyson would be a significant upgrade.

Lakers front office are idiots. If we hired Phil and didn't sign Kobe to that crazy deal we would have only Nash on the books. If that was the case LeBron and Melo would probably come. Kobe better have the two best years in history for a 35 year old to even make this deal worth 70% of the total cost.