2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway 2014 Apex Pro Irons: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1389212212' post='8423699']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1389205897' post='8422961']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1389189949' post='8421419']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1388772296' post='8391443']
Just noticed the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 was added to the options on the Callaway site. So another shaft at no upcharge!
[/quote]

This is again disappointing for a few reasons. Only a custom option (at least being shown) in the Pro and not the regular Apex model. Also showing only stiff flex, no X. Weird?!
[/quote]

Currently, only carry the Taper tip in the Modus 120...so only for the Apex Pro...doesn't mean they won't order the parallel and carry them at a later date if Nippon makes them? not sure. Demand for flexes usually changes what they offer in flex's...all a work on progress for shafts. So right now a hosel dictates which shafts are for which...I think that is about the only one I saw not really offered in both heads...didn't look hard though.
[/quote]

Taper tip shafts work just fine in parallel tip heads, you just need a shim. Why even make them in parallel tip anyways? I'm pretty sure all the PXi shafts they are using are Taper Tip and just adjusting things for each head.
[/quote]

You can get much closer to frequency match and spec with parallel shafts since you're the one doing the tipping. That's why almost every single component iron head is a .370 bore. They're built for custom fittings, which can much easier be accomplished with parallel shafts.

That being said, every set of shafts I buy are .355 taper because I can use them in any heads I want, like you said, with a shim. When Callaway built my XHP irons last year with PXi shafts, I'm almost positive they used a shim on every single club, so you know it's not going to hurt performance or anything like that.

I wonder if they'll allow the Modus shafts in the non-Pro Apex if you talk to someone instead of just doing it through their site or something. People are flexible, coding on websites isn't. Perhaps a place like DDs can make that happen and still get a no upcharge price on them?

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1389211057' post='8423541']
I hit the Apex (regular, not pro) for a little while at a big box store. It seemed like distances were pretty good, feel was good (not great), but the look of these just screams "GI" to me (and not in a good way). Waaaay thick top line and waaay too much offset. I know a lot of the Callawrx2 posts and other people who have tried them have been suggesting that the Apex look good enough to be a player's club set throughout the bag, but for me it just ain't working. Still interested in trying the Pro's though. Think the feel/looks/flight of those might be better for me.

**Long Disclaimer: Before anyone starts, no, I am not saying these are bad clubs. No, I am not hating on Callaway. Yes, I do think the look of irons is a pretty important factor in my club choices. Finally, and most importantly, I saw no performance gains with the Apex compared to the MP59s and AP2s (just two other demos that happened to be around) that would make me want to game them in spite of their looks (So for all of you who want to say "how stupid are you to value looks over performance", don't bother, it was a combo of looks and a lack of improved performance that led me to my conclusions.)
[/quote]

BP..I am assuming you hit stock shafts in the clubs? If so I can see where the distance difference wasn't all that much if don't normally swing 95 grams..the stock apex. If the store you were in has the fitting cart heads..have them throw a DGS300 in there like the APs and MPs have stock. Apples to Apples.
I agree....I like the Apex Pros much better look wise..but will game the Apex 4 iron for sure...!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1389214327' post='8423897']
[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1389211057' post='8423541']
I hit the Apex (regular, not pro) for a little while at a big box store. It seemed like distances were pretty good, feel was good (not great), but the look of these just screams "GI" to me (and not in a good way). Waaaay thick top line and waaay too much offset. I know a lot of the Callawrx2 posts and other people who have tried them have been suggesting that the Apex look good enough to be a player's club set throughout the bag, but for me it just ain't working. Still interested in trying the Pro's though. Think the feel/looks/flight of those might be better for me.

**Long Disclaimer: Before anyone starts, no, I am not saying these are bad clubs. No, I am not hating on Callaway. Yes, I do think the look of irons is a pretty important factor in my club choices. Finally, and most importantly, I saw no performance gains with the Apex compared to the MP59s and AP2s (just two other demos that happened to be around) that would make me want to game them in spite of their looks (So for all of you who want to say "how stupid are you to value looks over performance", don't bother, it was a combo of looks and a lack of improved performance that led me to my conclusions.)
[/quote]

BP..I am assuming you hit stock shafts in the clubs? If so I can see where the distance difference wasn't all that much if don't normally swing 95 grams..the stock apex. If the store you were in has the fitting cart heads..have them throw a DGS300 in there like the APs and MPs have stock. Apples to Apples.
I agree....I like the Apex Pros much better look wise..but will game the Apex 4 iron for sure...!
[/quote]

Yeh it was just stock. I would say that the Apex probably were going around 5 or so yards further on similar strikes between the clubs, but the test was on a simulator and that distance observation is in no way scientific. I am less interested in numbers when hitting in an indoor big box simulator (because I have no idea if the baselines are off) and more in the other stuff, but I probably should have indicated that yes, I do think the Apex were flying slightly further, but that extra distance wasn't enough for me to get over the looks. They just didn't frame the ball very well for me at address. Definitely going to try the Pros though.

Were you able to demo them with the Modus 120's?

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='jdub_ut' timestamp='1389296016' post='8429431']
[/quote]

I have never hit the Apex Pro. A buddy of mine had a set of clubs with the modus and they are super smooth. But I am pretty much just blindly purchasing

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5 Fubuki ZT X
Titleist 906f4 15.5 UST Tour Black X
Titleist 906f4 18.5 UST Tour Black X
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P Modus 130
Vokey SM5 50/54/58 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Golo S5
WITB Link

[quote name='Jrolsen0425' timestamp='1389297074' post='8429571']
[quote name='jdub_ut' timestamp='1389296016' post='8429431']
[/quote]

I have never hit the Apex Pro. A buddy of mine had a set of clubs with the modus and they are super smooth. But I am pretty much just blindly purchasing
[/quote]
I look forward to hearing how you like them. I plan on purchasing Apex Pros as soon as I get a chance to hit them. Have no idea which shaft to get. Fitting carts in my area have very limited options for the regular Apex. Hope they have more options to test with the Apex Pro.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Just hit the Apex pro today with a bunch of shafts (of course they didn't have the Modus that I ordered mine with). They are fantastic. I hit it side by side with the 2013 X Forged. The Apex Pro won in every category. Looks were almost the same, except the Pro had the great satin finish and less grooves. The Pro was a club longer and on mis hits the pro distance was about the same as a well struck X Forged. I'm so glad I ordered them. Can't wait to get them!!

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5 Fubuki ZT X
Titleist 906f4 15.5 UST Tour Black X
Titleist 906f4 18.5 UST Tour Black X
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P Modus 130
Vokey SM5 50/54/58 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Golo S5
WITB Link

I finally got to hit the Apex Pro yesterday. All I can say is "WOW"! The 6-iron had the Recoil shaft. I told the guy I wanted to hit the KBS Tour V. He said, "give the Recoil a couple of swings, first". I hit three shots that just felt like melting butter. I had him switch the shaft out for the KBS Tour V. I hit about 10 shots that felt great. Very soft and just jumped off the face, but not as soft as the Recoil. I was shocked. The Recoil was never even on my radar. I had him put the Recoil back in and hit about 5 more shots. Back to melting butter. The Recoil just takes all the vibration out of the shot, plus I was hitting the Recoil about 5 yards longer than the KBS.

Look of the 6-iron didn't seem much different than my X-Hot Pros. Maybe just a bit less offset and slightly thinner top line. Didn't compare them head-to-head, but that was my perception. Feel was quite a bit softer than my X-Hot Pros with KBS Tour V shaft. Feel with the Recoil was a whole other level of softness...like nothing I've ever felt before. I'm 52 and am starting to have pain in my wrists, elbows and thumb joints. I could see these shafts really helping me out with the pain.

Does anyone have experience with the Recoil shafts? I'd love to hear feedback.

I will own these irons. Just trying to schedule a fitting at the Callaway Performance Center in Carlsbad. I just want to make sure the Recoils perform as good as they feel. Can't wait!

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='rurella' timestamp='1389479218' post='8442925']
Hit these today and was shocked at how much better they felt than the standard APEX. Pretty forgiving too and long, very impressive. The KBS Tour V also seems like a great fit for this head.
[/quote]

You're talking about two entirely different golf clubs. The Apex Pro is a true forged iron where the Apex is a cast face in a forged body.

I'm extremely glad to hear your feedback (forgiving and long). Any chance you've hit the 2013 Forged Irons? If so, what are your thoughts? Differences? Similarities?

[quote name='rurella' timestamp='1389479218' post='8442925']
The KBS Tour V also seems like a great fit for this head.
[/quote]

The Apex Pros are damn fine irons, but this is the part I came away most impressed by. I'm absolutely infatuated with these shafts. Just blown away by how perfect they fit me; the numbers and characteristics are pure gold. I don't know that I'll be going to the APs for my next iron, but these are definitely my next shaft.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

I tried them yesterday. Personally, I wasn't impressed. They felt merely OK. I expected more, I guess. Good, but not great.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I thought it felt great - looked great, and ball jumped off the face!

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1389503726' post='8445175']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1389492698' post='8444131']
I tried them yesterday. Personally, I wasn't impressed. They felt merely OK. I expected more, I guess. Good, but not great.
[/quote]

Look on the bright side , you have $1200 more in your pocket now...
[/quote]
Nah, I tried other irons. ;)

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1389504245' post='8445229']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Now that does not surprise me. Maybe you will like the new XHot irons?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1389504366' post='8445237']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
The regular Apex...OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1389505124' post='8445275']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1389504366' post='8445237']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
The regular Apex...OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!
[/quote]

Those are a little to bulky for my liking but the Apex Pros are about perfect looks wise.

Waiting to hit these before i pull the trigger on the Apex Pro or the 714 AP2. I just hate that Titleist does not have any standard shaft upgrades like Callaway. I can not fathom dropping 1k on a set of irons and then another 250 for shafts.

2017 M1 AD-DI 7x
EXOTIC CB4 PRO 15* AD-DI 8X
EXOTIC CB4 HYBRID 19* AD-DI 95X
PXG 0311 4-PW TI S400
VOKEY SM5 50,54,58 S400
ButtonBack T10

[quote name='rurella' timestamp='1389493217' post='8444185']
^
Completely different experience for me. They feel outstanding IMHO. And to answer a question posed above, both APEX irons are forged which is why I was very surprised by the difference in feel. The Pro feels much, much better....
[/quote]

Again, the Apex Standard and the Apex Pro Irons are completely different beast. The difference you feel is in material and (455 vice 1020) and the fact that the face is welded into the body in the Apex Standard.

Apex Standard:
- Carpenter 455 High Strength Stainless Steel Face (Only article I could find is this [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/138909/tech-talk-callaway-apex-irons/"]GolfWRX article[/url] stating the face is forged)
- 1020 Carbon Steel Forged Body
- Face is welded into the body
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FxhWGfACM"]Video#1[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylJO5rpt7U"]Video#2[/url] both make no mention of the face being forged, only the body.

Apex Pro:
- 1020 Carbon Steel forged head (outside of the polymer insert and tungsten plugs)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/147878/tech-talk-callaway-apex-pro-irons/"]Link#1[/url]

[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1389553269' post='8447277']
^
Completely different experience for me. They feel outstanding IMHO. And to answer a question posed above, both APEX irons are forged which is why I was very surprised by the difference in feel. The Pro feels much, much better....
[/quote]

Again, the Apex Standard and the Apex Pro Irons are completely different beast. The difference you feel is in material and (455 vice 1020) and the fact that the face is welded into the body in the Apex Standard.

Apex Standard:
- Carpenter 455 High Strength Stainless Steel Face (Only article I could find is this [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/138909/tech-talk-callaway-apex-irons/"]GolfWRX article[/url] stating the face is forged)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FxhWGfACM"]Video#1[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylJO5rpt7U"]Video#2[/url] both make no mention of the face being forged, only the body.

Apex Pro:
- 1020 Carbon Steel forged head (outside of the polymer insert and tungsten plugs)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/147878/tech-talk-callaway-apex-pro-irons/"]Link#1[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for your post, I stand corrected. The salesperson at Golfsmith told me the Pro's had the same carpenter steel face as the standard APEX which is why they were very long for this category of club. I should have checked the Callaway site myself which is very informative.

In any event, great club, especially considering their small size.

[quote name='rurella' timestamp='1389562860' post='8448027']
[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1389553269' post='8447277']
^
[/quote]

Apex Standard:

Apex Pro:
[/quote]

Thanks for your post, I stand corrected. The salesperson at Golfsmith told me the Pro's had the same carpenter steel face as the standard APEX which is why they were very long for this category of club. I should have checked the Callaway site myself which is very informative.

In any event, great club, especially considering their small size.
[/quote]

Never trust anything from a Golfsmtih Salesperson ;)