2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha

So here is a fun bit of Trivia...at least per what I have heard...

Do you know why the Big Bertha is called the Big Bertha?

[spoiler]Big Bertha is a euphonious term for an unusually large example of a class of object... but from what I understand more specifically it received its name after the Big Bertha (howitzer), a heavy mortar-like howitzer built and used by Germany during World War I that could launch shells unprecedented distances![/spoiler]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='markp' timestamp='1385649448' post='8220930']
[quote name='hoosierfan0012' timestamp='1384626634' post='8158448']
From what I have heard, Driver B will take the place of the Optiforce
[/quote]
Actually driver A will replace the optiforce, then you will have driver B then driver C, Driver Cis the one Phil mentioned on the morning drive
[/quote]

Finally an answer to the driver A question. No one seems to mention A, only B and C (or at least I haven't seen it discussed anywhere). Makes sense though, since the Optiforce was released more recently, putting the replacement's release out further into the future.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='hectorj' timestamp='1385505678' post='8212472']
[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1385505014' post='8212418']
My head is spinning now! Can't wait for 12/2 to see the clubs and who is actually right. And I fully expect an ''I told you so'' from some of you around here.
[/quote]

the general consensus here is right--

BB Alpha with gravity core. 11g on end, 1g on the other. 2 weights. New Fubuki stock, 4 other shafts at N/C. One loft, dual cog.

BB with a 20g sliding track (which is the real story). No weights. (well, one weight, but not important to the design.) 3 lofts. Dual cog.

The BB is the straightest driver on the market. The dispersion numbers are astounding.

Can't wait for 12/2 so all the videos will go up.
[/quote]

Still trying to connect the dots here ...

BB = driver B
BB Alpha = driver C

?

[quote name='teeituphigh' timestamp='1385580806' post='8217258']
[media=]http://youtu.be/0cJHb4iND7k[/media]
[/quote]

Does anyone know what the "Five Year War" reference is all about? Look at the ad closely underneath the green stripe on the lefthand side of the hallway in the shadow and you can see the text in white. Hard to believe it was put there by accident.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1385587150' post='8217792']
Does anyone know what "APW" might refer to? Callaway applied for a trademark on that term 12 days ago.

EDIT: APW not ADW
[/quote]
[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1385587150' post='8217792']
Does anyone know what "APW" might refer to? Callaway applied for a trademark on that term 12 days ago.

EDIT: APW not ADW
[/quote]
APW=Advanced Perimer Weighting??? only a guess

We launched X2Hot to our sales force a few months ago. So that, in essence, is "Driver A" since we launched it first.

"Driver B" is just a placeholder name for our sales teams and customers for referencing one of the drivers we are launching on Monday.

Driver B does not replace Optiforce. That will still be in the like because it is a special driver for players who want a speed enhanced package of extremely light head, longer length in shaft, and special aero head. Easy to hit and easy to launch. Meant to be played light.

Driver C is all on its own in a class by itself, I would say.

[quote name='mgholda' timestamp='1385653743' post='8221234']

Does anyone know what the "Five Year War" reference is all about? Look at the ad closely underneath the green stripe on the lefthand side of the hallway in the shadow and you can see the text in white. Hard to believe it was put there by accident.
[/quote]

"Five Year War" is their reference to their business plan of overtaking TaylorMade as the number one driver in golf. Callaway thinks they are in year two or three, while Taylormade believes they haven't even started.

Personally I think it's pretty crappy, insensitive, and tactless that they compare a business strategy to war. But that's just my opinion.

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1385655369' post='8221368']
[/quote]

"Five Year War" is their reference to their business plan of overtaking TaylorMade as the number one driver in golf. Callaway thinks they are in year two or three, while Taylormade believes they haven't even started.

Personally I think it's pretty crappy, insensitive, and tactless that they compare a business strategy to war. But that's just my opinion.
[/quote]

Very interesting. Not "offensive" at all IMO, but very interesting that they would go to the trouble of "easter egging" it into the ad like that. Definitely a message for anyone that gets it I would have to say.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually that's not what it refers to at all. It refers to our cultural change of being more responsive to the market than internally driven. It was an off the cuff remark in Sept 2012 at a sales meeting talking about having to completely change our approach in order to lead in performance and innovation. It had nothing to do with any competitors and had everything to do with internal Callaway. It's become sort of a rallying cry internally whenever we embark on anything that is met with any internal resistance to change.

Just wanted to clear that up.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm offended that there's a game called Tug of War. The horror

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[/quote]

[/quote]

I should also add that I appreciate your point of view because once it started to be repeated outside of Callaway we were kind of concerned that it would be taken the wrong way. But being in a heavily military town (Camp Pendleton is 5 miles away from our HQ), we have a lot of military families and veterans who work at our company. They've all loved it and embraced it so we just kept running with it.

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1385657000' post='8221488']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I should also add that I appreciate your point of view because once it started to be repeated outside of Callaway we were kind of concerned that it would be taken the wrong way. But being in a heavily military town (Camp Pendleton is 5 miles away from our HQ), we have a lot of military families and veterans who work at our company. They've all loved it and embraced it so we just kept running with it.
[/quote]

Thanks Harry and enjoy Thanksgiving! It seems like the rallying cry is being heard loud and clear inside Callaway. You might actually get me to overhaul my entire bag from Titleist to Callaway. Looking forward to Monday 12/2.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Well done to Callaway on this launch
26 pages of speculation, a cool teaser vid and now a 4 day wait

gonna be a cool launch
I know my Cally rep is stoked on it

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Just the clear from Harrys comments and my research on Westlaw:

Driver A is the X2 Hot

Driver B will be released 12/2 and hopefully is the rebirth of the companies most famous product to date, with adjustable Perimeter weighting.

Driver C will likely be released in Jan 2014 and will have gravity core, piston weighting or anchoring weighting tech.

I am curious what "APW" refers too?

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1385656406' post='8221436']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually that's not what it refers to at all. It refers to our cultural change of being more responsive to the market than internally driven. It was an off the cuff remark in Sept 2012 at a sales meeting talking about having to completely change our approach in order to lead in performance and innovation. It had nothing to do with any competitors and had everything to do with internal Callaway. It's become sort of a rallying cry internally whenever we embark on anything that is met with any internal resistance to change.

[/quote]

I always assumed it meant that Callaway wanted to be the number 1 equipment manufacturer in 5 years time. If it's more about changing the culture of Callaway, why say 5 years? Will it take 5 years to completely change the internal culture of the company?

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1385662394' post='8221842']

Driver A is the X2 Hot

Driver B will be released 12/2 and hopefully is the rebirth of the companies most famous product to date, with adjustible

Driver C will likely be released in Jan 2014 and will have gravity core, piston weighting or anchoring weighting tech.

[/quote]Dont think so. From what I understood...

Driver A = X2 Hot & X2 Hot Pro

Driver B = BB

Driver C = BB Alpha

Could be wrong. But thats how I read it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1385665528' post='8222040']

Driver A is the X2 Hot

Driver B will be released 12/2 and hopefully is the rebirth of the companies most famous product to date, with adjustibleerimeter weighting

[/quote]Dont think so. From what I understood...

Driver A = X2 Hot & X2 Hot Pro

Driver B = BB

Driver C = BB Alpha

Could be wrong. But thats how I read it.
[/quote]

I think we are of the same page, I just left off official names

[quote name='boxerjoe2011' timestamp='1385665023' post='8221996']
[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1385656406' post='8221436']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I always assumed it meant that Callaway wanted to be the number 1 equipment manufacturer in 5 years time. If it's more about changing the culture of Callaway, why say 5 years? Will it take 5 years to completely change the internal culture of the company?
[/quote]

Culture part has been accomplished for the most part, though still always a work in progress I would say. The 5 year part does reference what you were thinking.

Does Callaway have a 5 year plan to recruit any big name Tour Players? As your main 'name' Tour Player will be 49yo in 5 Years, and must be in the twilight of his career already, and after that, only Thomas Bjorn and Thongchai Jaidee are in the current worlds top 50. So, I just wondered the importance they will be putting on their Tour Players and whether that will mean some household names being added to their Staff stable?

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1385668491' post='8222254']
Does Callaway have a 5 year plan to recruit any big name Tour Players? As your main 'name' Tour Player will be 49yo in 5 Years, and must be in the twilight of his career already, and after that, only Thomas Bjorn and Thongchai Jaidee are in the current worlds top 50. So, I just wondered the importance they will be putting on their Tour Players and whether that will mean some household names being added to their Staff stable?
[/quote]
Yep. Stay tuned.

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1385668162' post='8222232']
Harrry when we will know about APW..... Happy turkey day!
[/quote]

I'll tell you right now...wait, then I would have to fire myself and I would hold a personal grudge against my self for all of my remaining days.

So it'll all be talked about on Monday!

Driver A is the X2 Hot

Driver B will be released 12/2 and hopefully is the rebirth of the companies most famous product to date, with adjustable Perimeter weighting.

[/quote] So the driver everyone is clamouring for won't be released on 12/2?

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62